Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: Shimano spindle 68 x 116 - Halp!

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

WTB: Shimano spindle 68 x 116 - Halp!

Old 07-25-20, 02:48 PM
  #1  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
Thread Starter
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,072
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 191 Posts
WTB: Shimano spindle 68 x 116 - Halp!

Finally got back into the shop after my life turned into a dumpster fire. Actually getting to work on stuff for myself versus resale or friends & family.

Great! Except I cracked open my early '80s Grand Record's French thread BB and found this (below) after spinning the lockring off by hand, it was that loose. I knew the previous owner was a dumbass, this is one of many issues I've found. Same bike where the PO clamped too hard on the seat tube and creased it, and firmly jammed a standard-diameter stem into it (vs. correct metric 22.0) because he didn't know any better and I had to mangle a beautiful Black Cinelli stem. But it really rides awesome and I can't part with it yet.

Got oodles of parts, but spindles supply is low, 2hrs digging, no luck. Finding a sealed 35xP1 Shimano sealed 116mm BB will be even more difficult so I've like to stick with cup and bearing balls.

Can anyone hook a fellow BF'er brother up with a fair price on matching spindle, or at least one with same dims? I'm able to trade if there's something of roughly equal value you need.

__________________
███████████████


Last edited by francophile; 07-25-20 at 03:28 PM.
francophile is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 08:51 PM
  #2  
verktyg 
verktyg
 
verktyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,380

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 249 Posts
One Key Release = Self Extracting Cranks

Here's a good link on removing Shimano One Key Release Self Extracting Crank Arms:

One key release on Shimano 600 cranks

As worn as that spindle is, how bad are the cups?

The other fly in the ointment is some Motobecanes had Swiss metric BBs with LH thread fixed cups.

Velo ORANGE sells French Thread BB cartridges for $50.00. They offer 116mm wide spindles. I think that I have one. Let me know and I'll dig it out and post the dimensions,

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...nt=50640562951

Then there's always Phil BBs....

verktyg
__________________
Things aren't always what they seem... Don't believe everything you think!

Chas. ;-)
verktyg is offline  
Likes For verktyg:
Old 07-25-20, 09:20 PM
  #3  
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,936

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Finally got back into the shop after my life turned into a dumpster fire. Actually getting to work on stuff for myself versus resale or friends & family.

Great! Except I cracked open my early '80s Grand Record's French thread BB and found this (below) after spinning the lockring off by hand, it was that loose. I knew the previous owner was a dumbass, this is one of many issues I've found. Same bike where the PO clamped too hard on the seat tube and creased it, and firmly jammed a standard-diameter stem into it (vs. correct metric 22.0) because he didn't know any better and I had to mangle a beautiful Black Cinelli stem. But it really rides awesome and I can't part with it yet.

Got oodles of parts, but spindles supply is low, 2hrs digging, no luck. Finding a sealed 35xP1 Shimano sealed 116mm BB will be even more difficult so I've like to stick with cup and bearing balls.

Can anyone hook a fellow BF'er brother up with a fair price on matching spindle, or at least one with same dims? I'm able to trade if there's something of roughly equal value you need.

See my post in looking to trade...
__________________
I seem to have lost what little mind I had left before this all started.
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 07-25-20, 09:50 PM
  #4  
MetinUz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a 117.5mm Shimano spindle you can have for $15 shipped. Dirty and shopworn, but unused.
MetinUz is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 12:51 PM
  #5  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
Thread Starter
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,072
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
As worn as that spindle is, how bad are the cups?
Mint. I know that sounds bizarre, but fixed and adjustable cups are virtually flawless.

Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
The other fly in the ointment is some Motobecanes had Swiss metric BBs with LH thread fixed cups.
It's an '80 or '81 (I forget) Grand Record. I think it's pure French vs. backwards French.
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
Then there's always Phil BBs....
I still prefer balls and lube
__________________
███████████████

francophile is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 12:53 PM
  #6  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
Thread Starter
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,072
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76 View Post
See my post in looking to trade...
Awesome!

Originally Posted by MetinUz View Post
I have a 117.5mm Shimano spindle you can have for $15 shipped. Dirty and shopworn, but unused.
Thanks, going to work w/LR76 above, we've already been chatting with each other, I've been trying to ship him a part he wants for quite a while, then COVID hit.
__________________
███████████████

francophile is offline  
Old 07-26-20, 03:01 PM
  #7  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 21,702

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg View Post
The other fly in the ointment is some Motobecanes had Swiss metric BBs with LH thread fixed cups.
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
It's an '80 or '81 (I forget) Grand Record. I think it's pure French vs. backwards French.
Check the cup markings for any indication of Swiss thread. If the fixed cup is marked 35 x P1 or 35 x 1, it's likely French. If it's marked 35 x P1 S1 or 35 P1 G1, it's likely Swiss. Of course, removing the cup will also remove all doubt.

In the event that it is Swiss thread, your options for a cartridge are more limited. Phil has Swiss thread mounting rings available, and Velo-Orange has a threadless cartridge that should work.
JohnDThompson is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.