Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

WTB: 126mm freehub

Old 10-06-20, 08:21 AM
  #1  
coffeecherrypie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
WTB: 126mm freehub

This is a bit of a long shot, but I am reconditioning a bike with a 7-speed drivetrain (circa 1991 I believe). It currently has a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette. For various reasons I want to keep the bike 7-speed. I'm looking for a NOS or just good used condition similar rear hub, or rear + front hubset, or even potentially a wheelset. The rear should be 126mm and take a cassette not a freewheel. Thanks for reading!
coffeecherrypie is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 08:47 AM
  #2  
Mr. Spadoni 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 108 Posts
Is Hyperglide the one that has one notch that is a different size? Is condition an issue? I may have one in a wheel that got hung up after a couple broken spokes and I never got around to rebuilding it.
Mr. Spadoni is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 06:12 PM
  #3  
evwxxx
FalconLvr
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 1,231

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Dura Ace?

Not sure if this is hyper glide or not, not being familiar with shimano stuff of this genre, but I do have a Dura Ace rear hub that is 7 speed I believe, it has resided in my parts drawer since 2003 or so, and predates that by a number of years. It is in very good, nearly excellent condition. Just the shell, no axle. Let me know if interested. Ed
evwxxx is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 07:36 PM
  #4  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,094

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Wizard, Pegoretti Duende, Merckx ProSLX, Pelizzoli, Cannondale ST, Schwinn Tempo, Schwinn Voyageur, Canyon Endurace, Richard Sachs, Davidson Discovery

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 758 Posts
DA of that period is UG, not HG.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 09:04 PM
  #5  
Mr. Spadoni 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 108 Posts
I did locate the hub today. It is seven speed 105. 125 old. Thread on outside cog,36 H. It’s labeled 1051, which I think does make it hyperglide, which may be why I have not rebuilt the wheel. If you are interested, PM me.
Mr. Spadoni is offline  
Old 10-06-20, 09:09 PM
  #6  
smoothness 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hub of the Universe, MA
Posts: 545

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
are you looking for a particular model? i'm pretty sure I have at least four bare hubs and/or wheels with said hubs.
smoothness is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 06:25 AM
  #7  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,094

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Wizard, Pegoretti Duende, Merckx ProSLX, Pelizzoli, Cannondale ST, Schwinn Tempo, Schwinn Voyageur, Canyon Endurace, Richard Sachs, Davidson Discovery

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1808 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni View Post
I did locate the hub today. It is seven speed 105. 125 old. Thread on outside cog,36 H. It’s labeled 1051, which I think does make it hyperglide, which may be why I have not rebuilt the wheel. If you are interested, PM me.
1051 hubs are typically UG only. Some of the very later ones had both UG and HG threading.
If there are threads on the interior of the end of the freehub, it will accept HG cogs. If there are only threads on the exterior of the freehub, it is UG only.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 09:26 AM
  #8  
Mr. Spadoni 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
1051 hubs are typically UG only. Some of the very later ones had both UG and HG threading.
If there are threads on the interior of the end of the freehub, it will accept HG cogs. If there are only threads on the exterior of the freehub, it is UG only.
thanks that clears it up. Mines UG.
Mr. Spadoni is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 10:10 AM
  #9  
coffeecherrypie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni View Post
thanks that clears it up. Mines UG.
Thanks for digging it up and checking it out!...sounds like it won't work out, too bad.
coffeecherrypie is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 10:11 AM
  #10  
coffeecherrypie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothness View Post
are you looking for a particular model? i'm pretty sure I have at least four bare hubs and/or wheels with said hubs.
Not really! Any 126mm hub that is a decent hub in good shape that takes a 7-speed Hyperglide cassette will do!
coffeecherrypie is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 10:16 AM
  #11  
coffeecherrypie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evwxxx View Post
Not sure if this is hyper glide or not, not being familiar with shimano stuff of this genre, but I do have a Dura Ace rear hub that is 7 speed I believe, it has resided in my parts drawer since 2003 or so, and predates that by a number of years. It is in very good, nearly excellent condition. Just the shell, no axle. Let me know if interested. Ed
Thanks Ed. I wonder how hard it would be to find the right axle...if you have the time, would you mind seeing if there's a part number on the hub somewhere? There are some complications with Dura-Ace, it appears (https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant)
coffeecherrypie is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 11:38 AM
  #12  
scarlson 
Senior Member
 
scarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Medford MA
Posts: 1,821

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 599 Posts
I have one, Shimano 105 laced into a FIR rim with decent looking spokes. 36h. Has the threads on the outside and on the inside of the freehub body.

PM me if interested, I'm happy to ship and it likely won't be terribly expensive via Shipbikes.
__________________
Owner & co-founder, Cycles René Hubris. Unfortunately attaching questionable braze-ons to perfectly good frames since about 2015. With style.
scarlson is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 11:50 AM
  #13  
coffeecherrypie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson View Post
I have one, Shimano 105 laced into a FIR rim with decent looking spokes. 36h. Has the threads on the outside and on the inside of the freehub body.

PM me if interested, I'm happy to ship and it likely won't be terribly expensive via Shipbikes.
Sweet...PMed.
coffeecherrypie is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 10:50 PM
  #14  
evwxxx
FalconLvr
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 1,231

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
Thanks Ed. I wonder how hard it would be to find the right axle...if you have the time, would you mind seeing if there's a part number on the hub somewhere? There are some complications with Dura-Ace, it appears (https://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#transplant)
ok, I dug thru the parts chest and found the original sprockets that go with my dura ace hub and body,,,and it is only a 6 speed UG. Since you are looking for 7 speed HG this would probably not fit your needs. I probably do have the original axle, but that is probably moot point! Good luck!
evwxxx is offline  
Old 10-07-20, 11:26 PM
  #15  
scarlson 
Senior Member
 
scarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Medford MA
Posts: 1,821

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,114 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
Sweet...PMed.
Here are some pictures so you get an idea of the finish you're working with. I ran the hubs over with a wet cloth before taking the pictures to remove dust, that's why the rear may appear to be wet. It is possible you could buff out some of the stains on the paint. I certainly haven't tried very hard.






There is no pitting in the cones, for sure in the rear and I haven't had the front apart but it feels fine.
__________________
Owner & co-founder, Cycles René Hubris. Unfortunately attaching questionable braze-ons to perfectly good frames since about 2015. With style.
scarlson is offline  
Old 10-08-20, 07:51 AM
  #16  
coffeecherrypie
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson View Post
Here are some pictures so you get an idea of the finish you're working with. I ran the hubs over with a wet cloth before taking the pictures to remove dust, that's why the rear may appear to be wet. It is possible you could buff out some of the stains on the paint. I certainly haven't tried very hard.






There is no pitting in the cones, for sure in the rear and I haven't had the front apart but it feels fine.
Thanks. PMed again.
coffeecherrypie is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.