Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

wtb: 26.6 seatpost

Old 01-26-21, 07:31 AM
  #1  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,292
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
wtb: 26.6 seatpost

~300m with setback, vintage preferred. Campy would be cool but not necessary. I'm more concerned with function, so I'd prefer the clamp to use allen bolts and not hex like on old Campy posts.

FOUND for now
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird

Last edited by shoota; 01-30-21 at 03:50 PM.
shoota is offline  
Old 01-26-21, 12:31 PM
  #2  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,970

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
~300m with setback, vintage preferred. Campy would be cool but not necessary. I'm more concerned with function, so I'd prefer the clamp to use allen bolts and not hex like on old Campy posts.
I'm sorry to say that I've had this very problem, and 'vintage' (1995 and earlier) 26.6mm seatposts seem to max out under 300mm in usable extension. I have a saved search for 26.6 suntour XC posts, which give around 250mm of useful post. Road posts will rarely be longer than 180mm total. I suspect longer posts didn't come about until after wide use of sloping top tubes in frames. I hope you can find what you're looking for, though!
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 01-26-21, 02:17 PM
  #3  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,292
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
I'm sorry to say that I've had this very problem, and 'vintage' (1995 and earlier) 26.6mm seatposts seem to max out under 300mm in usable extension. I have a saved search for 26.6 suntour XC posts, which give around 250mm of useful post. Road posts will rarely be longer than 180mm total. I suspect longer posts didn't come about until after wide use of sloping top tubes in frames. I hope you can find what you're looking for, though!
That's really great to know! Yeah, my post is just shy of 200mm too.

These are the ones I'm looking at. Good price and over 200mm: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage...IAAOSwGllaYkgd
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 09:02 AM
  #4  
IsleRide 
Senior Member
 
IsleRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 45 Posts
As already mentioned, not likely you'll find anything that long in a vintage post. I'm looking for one too but in a shorter road bike version.
Here's a Kalloy Uno on ebay. Picture shows a short post but the description is for 350mm. Check with the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kalloy-Uno-...53.m1438.l2649
IsleRide is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 11:24 AM
  #5  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,292
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide View Post
As already mentioned, not likely you'll find anything that long in a vintage post. I'm looking for one too but in a shorter road bike version.
Here's a Kalloy Uno on ebay. Picture shows a short post but the description is for 350mm. Check with the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kalloy-Uno-...53.m1438.l2649
Yeah I learned that. But I got a couple options now. Are you looking for shiny silver? Or something else?
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 12:38 PM
  #6  
IsleRide 
Senior Member
 
IsleRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Yeah I learned that. But I got a couple options now. Are you looking for shiny silver? Or something else?
Just finishing up a Trek TX300 (actually a '79 310 but there really is no such thing) which is supposed to take a 26.8 but with the single butted Ishiwata Hi-ten the ID is 26.9 so that's too tight. Have a nice Campy NR 26.2 in there but that's too small. It's shimmed for now but want to get a 26.6.

Confirmed my frame takes a 26.8. Have additional info on ISO and For Trade sticky.

Last edited by IsleRide; 02-02-21 at 02:46 PM. Reason: size change
IsleRide is offline  
Likes For IsleRide:
Old 01-29-21, 12:46 PM
  #7  
droppedandlost 
small ring
 
droppedandlost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: PNW
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
These are the ones I'm looking at. Good price and over 200mm: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage...IAAOSwGllaYkgd
Thanks for that link, I need one too!
__________________
droppedandlost is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 01:03 PM
  #8  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,970

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked 715 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide View Post
Just finishing up a Trek TX300 (actually a '79 310 but there really is no such thing) which is supposed to take a 26.8 but with the single butted Ishiwata Hi-ten the ID is 26.9 so that's too tight. Have a nice Campy NR 26.2 in there but that's too small. It's shimmed for now but want to get a 26.6.
If you asked this question in the mechanics forum, they'd likely advise you to use the 26.8, or ask a shop to ream the seat tube. From what I remember, the heat needed to braze the seat cluster frequently distorts the seat tube, and a reaming to restore it to the correct dimensions isn't an uncommon task.

This is all assuming it's not just a pinched clamp area from previous use of an undersized post.
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 01:13 PM
  #9  
IsleRide 
Senior Member
 
IsleRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
If you asked this question in the mechanics forum, they'd likely advise you to use the 26.8, or ask a shop to ream the seat tube. From what I remember, the heat needed to braze the seat cluster frequently distorts the seat tube, and a reaming to restore it to the correct dimensions isn't an uncommon task.

This is all assuming it's not just a pinched clamp area from previous use of an undersized post.


Probably from pinched clamp area as the bike came from the PO clamped down on the Campy 26.2. (I added a piece of handlebar shim) The bike is over 40 years old. Who knows what it was originally equipped with. I'm guessing 26.6 as usually there is more than .1 mm difference. This was a custom bike with butted Hi-ten. Not on Trek's build sheet in 1979.

Could be reamed as well. Good idea though, and may ask in the mechanics forum.
IsleRide is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 01:52 PM
  #10  
shoota 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
shoota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stillwater, OK
Posts: 7,292
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide View Post
Probably from pinched clamp area as the bike came from the PO clamped down on the Campy 26.2. (I added a piece of handlebar shim) The bike is over 40 years old. Who knows what it was originally equipped with. I'm guessing 26.6 as usually there is more than .1 mm difference. This was a custom bike with butted Hi-ten. Not on Trek's build sheet in 1979.

Could be reamed as well. Good idea though, and may ask in the mechanics forum.
Yeah I'd agree. A flex hone could do wonders on that seat tube.
__________________
2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2
2019 Salsa Warbird
shoota is offline  
Old 01-29-21, 01:56 PM
  #11  
IsleRide 
Senior Member
 
IsleRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western MA
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 45 Posts
And nice 26.8 posts are easier to find!
IsleRide is offline  
Likes For IsleRide:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.