Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Classic & Vintage" The ones you don't understand the attraction.

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Classic & Vintage" The ones you don't understand the attraction.

Old 03-27-15, 10:59 PM
  #1  
Wileyone 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Wileyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: GWN
Posts: 1,956
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
"Classic & Vintage" The ones you don't understand the attraction.

No reasons necessary...

For me it's the Schwinn Paramount and anything French especially a PX-10. I just don't get the attraction.

Last edited by Wileyone; 03-27-15 at 11:05 PM.
Wileyone is offline  
Old 03-27-15, 11:05 PM
  #2  
Chombi 
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,139

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Galmozzi.....
To me it's just an old Italian bike with a chicken....oops!,....I mean, rooster on it's headtube.......
But what the heck do I know, anyway!!
Chombi is offline  
Old 03-27-15, 11:14 PM
  #3  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,741

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chombi View Post
Galmozzi.....
To me it's just an old Italian bike with a chicken....oops!,....I mean, rooster on it's headtube.......
But what the heck do I know, anyway!!
Ha!

How about the many without the rooster? I rather like mine

I have to admit - I LOVE the rooster badge...it's part of my attraction to the brand.




I don't really understand the love of challenge roubaix tires. Crap. I also don't understand the love of Lezyne pumps.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 03-27-15 at 11:24 PM.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Old 03-27-15, 11:51 PM
  #4  
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,124

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Anything really heavy and balloon tired. I get the retro-vintage look, yes, it a cool style. But they are certainly no fun to ride. Maybe if I put a Brooks on it and lived somewhere flat...
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1981 Miyata 1000 ● 1984 Bianchi Limited ● 1984 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Trek 600 ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ● And a Bike to Be Named Later ●
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 12:01 AM
  #5  
desconhecido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
No reasons necessary...

For me it's the Schwinn Paramount and anything French especially a PX-10. I just don't get the attraction.
There is a thread either today or yesterday featuring some very beautiful all chrome Paramounts. I certainly get that attraction though not enough to pursue one. Mostly because I am unworthy. I'm a Raleigh Sports or Super Course sort of guy.

The French bikes, I'm not so sure about. I recently acquired a 74 (I think) PR10, which is a somewhat lesser bike than a PX10, but I'm not quite sure why. I guess just because it's an interesting, decently manufactured old bike with interesting components. I like the Stronglight cranks. They couldn't call it Stronglight if it weren't true, could they? Maybe I have a secret fetish for odd sized crank tools or something.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 12:36 AM
  #6  
mountaindave 
Happy Commuter
 
mountaindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flathead Valley, MT
Posts: 3,272

Bikes: Red bikes. Why do I have so many red bikes?! I thought green was my favorite color

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
It's French, and the French aren't afraid to do things differently... even if it's bass ackwards.

There's not much I don't get about C/V. We all have our passions and it would be a boring world if they were all the same.

I still don't get unicycles though...
mountaindave is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 12:53 AM
  #7  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,276

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Colnagos.

Nice bicycles but it is not like they were brazed by the hand of god.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 12:58 AM
  #8  
coolkat
Cyclist
 
coolkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 567

Bikes: '84 Univega Specialissima, '89 Schwinn Prelude, '77 Centurion Super LeMans, Surly Cross Check, '88 Kuwahara Cascade, '18 Specialized Fuse Comp, '92 Bstone XO-3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but 80s-90s Cannondales. Just can't look past those big, fat tubes
coolkat is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 01:25 AM
  #9  
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,124

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Colnagos.

Nice bicycles but it is not like they were brazed by the hand of god.
No, wait. I've seen a couple of them up close, and I'm pretty sure they were.

Originally Posted by coolkat View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but 80s-90s Cannondales. Just can't look past those big, fat tubes
I just bought my first one a couple months ago. I have to admit, the grotesquely fat tubes - especially paired with that skinny Cro-Mo fork, that was part of the reason I bought it. It's so wrong that it's almost (but not quite) right.
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1981 Miyata 1000 ● 1984 Bianchi Limited ● 1984 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Trek 600 ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ● And a Bike to Be Named Later ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 03-28-15 at 01:31 AM.
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 04:57 AM
  #10  
eschlwc
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: on the beach
Posts: 4,860

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
kickstands.
steel bars.
unserviceable pedals.
billy joel.
eschlwc is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 05:19 AM
  #11  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,802
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Two items:

1) This may well irritate folks, but Bridgestone RB-1s come under this category for me.

Love to look at them, but that is one "dead" frame to ride.

I know many other vintage fans like them, but they do zip for me.

I raced one for a year bitd and I was happy to go back to a Colnago Super.

2) The next one is a Panaracer Pasela.

That is one "dead" tire.

I will admit to using them occasionally, as they don't seem to flat on packed gravel.

Past that, I try not to put them on my bikes if I am actually going to ride them.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 05:26 AM
  #12  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,802
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Colnagos.

Nice bicycles but it is not like they were brazed by the hand of god.
Variable build quality for sure depending on the model and year.

Many examples I've owned were nothing to write home about, but I've seen some beauties.

In general, I like the fairly predictable handling especially on the Masters and Supers.

FWIW The newer carbon models such as the C40, Extreme Power, C59 and now the C60 are really nice, high performance machines. imho

I also liked the Prestige x frameset. Really a great rider off road. Wish it wasn't so blasted expensive though.....
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 06:29 AM
  #13  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,351
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
99% of the Puegeots I see.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 06:32 AM
  #14  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,802
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
99% of the Puegeots I see.
Yep.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 06:58 AM
  #15  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Two items:

1) This may well irritate folks, but Bridgestone RB-1s come under this category for me.

Love to look at them, but that is one "dead" frame to ride.

I know many other vintage fans like them, but they do zip for me.

I raced one for a year bitd and I was happy to go back to a Colnago Super.

2) The next one is a Panaracer Pasela.

That is one "dead" tire.

I will admit to using them occasionally, as they don't seem to flat on packed gravel.

Past that, I try not to put them on my bikes if I am actually going to ride them.
A production bike with a "dead" feel to it is a disappointment to be sure. I would give the bike a second chance by was of a sistership. Sometimes there are just bad frames, working a bike shop and test riding so many, every once in a while was a frame that was less than its siblings. Over cooked? Too much cold setting? Not enough brass in the joints? Whatever the reasons, all are not created equal.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:08 AM
  #16  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Variable build quality for sure depending on the model and year.

Many examples I've owned were nothing to write home about, but I've seen some beauties.

In general, I like the fairly predictable handling especially on the Masters and Supers.

FWIW The newer carbon models such as the C40, Extreme Power, C59 and now the C60 are really nice, high performance machines. imho

I also liked the Prestige x frameset. Really a great rider off road. Wish it wasn't so blasted expensive though.....
I avoided owning a Colnago for decades. I now own two and considering a third. Of the two I have they are different. One is an earlier one, before the Super geometry of the 70's was solidified. I don't know if I would want one from the 80's. The latest carbon bikes have what looks to have returned to almost pre 80's geometries save shorter chain stays. A C60 would be nice, but I would have a hard time writing that check for one bike.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:14 AM
  #17  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
There are a few C&V bikes that are interesting to look at but do not bring any urge to obtain.

Raleigh Lentons, I think it's the fork rake profile. Most Hetchins, but would consider a Hellenic stayed version in my size.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:14 AM
  #18  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,802
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
A production bike with a "dead" feel to it is a disappointment to be sure. I would give the bike a second chance by was of a sistership. Sometimes there are just bad frames, working a bike shop and test riding so many, every once in a while was a frame that was less than its siblings. Over cooked? Too much cold setting? Not enough brass in the joints? Whatever the reasons, all are not created equal.
We wanted to give the Bridgestones a chance, as they were available at a great price.

I had two before I switched back to a Master.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:17 AM
  #19  
Italuminium
Cisalpinist
 
Italuminium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 5,557

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tarted up frames from the far east with more leather than a biker gang lashed together with yards of twine in order to get a "classic French look".
Italuminium is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:17 AM
  #20  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 14,802
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
I avoided owning a Colnago for decades. I now own two and considering a third. Of the two I have they are different. One is an earlier one, before the Super geometry of the 70's was solidified. I don't know if I would want one from the 80's. The latest carbon bikes have what looks to have returned to almost pre 80's geometries save shorter chain stays. A C60 would be nice, but I would have a hard time writing that check for one bike.

Good gracious, they (C60) are so expensive.

That being said, the Extreme Power I had was a fabulous frameset.

Still being raced locally, although not by me.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:21 AM
  #21  
Pompiere
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,417

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Schwinn Varsity, Continental, Collegiate, etc. Any Electro-forged frame. Sure they ride nice, but they are HEAVY.
Pompiere is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:39 AM
  #22  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
We wanted to give the Bridgestones a chance, as they were available at a great price.

I had two before I switched back to a Master.
Then you can blame Grant, it's in the Design.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:43 AM
  #23  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,250
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Good gracious, they (C60) are so expensive.

That being said, the Extreme Power I had was a fabulous frameset.

Still being raced locally, although not by me.

Unfortunately I like some of the design elements of the C60, the bottom bracket insert, some of the simpler paint options... Not planning to write a check anytime soon though.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 07:53 AM
  #24  
rootboy 
Senior Member
 
rootboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wherever
Posts: 16,595
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
99% of the Puegeots I see.
I don't see the extreme love for the old PX-10 from the early 70's. I mean, they're OK bikes. I had one back then. But it was no special bike and I really can't understand the exorbitant prices I see them going for these days. Would I like to have a minty old one from that era? For nostalgic reasons mostly. Sure. If I could find one for cheap. But that aint gonna happen.
rootboy is offline  
Old 03-28-15, 08:14 AM
  #25  
willydstyle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 649
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
People like Paramounts because they were a high-quality frame with high-quality components made in the U.S. when good bikes weren't made in the U.S. They also happen to be quite rare because when people wanted a good bike they didn't often look for a Schwinn.
willydstyle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.