Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Bob Jackson racer, barn find

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Bob Jackson racer, barn find

Old 05-28-15, 04:09 PM
  #1  
markwynde
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vintage Bob Jackson racer, barn find

I have a Bob Jackson racing bike, which I was given by my gardener some years ago, he was clearing out a neighbours shed.

I'd like to find out a bit more about this bicycle, roughly when it was made, whether the components are good, if it's worth keeping it in original condition etc. I plan to use it, I love the look of it and it rides beautifully.

It's a Bob Jackson frame, with Shimano Dura Ace components. The gear levers are mounted on the downtube. It has two tone paintwork (fork ends and tips of the seat and chain stay are silver whereas the rest of the frame is in gold, with hand painted black lines dividing the two colours) in fairly good condition. At some point it seems the silver parts were chromed but have since been repainted. Overall the bike doesn't seem to have been abused but it's clearly been left standing for a long time.

I've tried several times to upload a photo but it repeatedly seems to fail, perhaps the file size is too large? I'll try again tomorrow, but in the meantime if anyone has any ideas what features I can look for which might help me find out more about it then I'd love to know.

Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/qypQLci.jpg

Moderator edit: added the pic link from the otherwise identical duplicate thread.

Last edited by Juha; 05-29-15 at 12:34 AM.
markwynde is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 04:13 PM
  #2  
jmeb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 677

Bikes: 1966 Carlton, 197X MKM, 1983 Trek 620, 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 1995 DBR Axis Ti, 1999 Waterford, 2016 DBR Release, 2017 Surly Travelers Check

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Originally Posted by markwynde View Post
I have a Bob Jackson racing bike, which I was given by my gardener some years ago, he was clearing out a neighbours shed.

I'd like to find out a bit more about this bicycle, roughly when it was made, whether the components are good, if it's worth keeping it in original condition etc. I plan to use it, I love the look of it and it rides beautifully.

It's a Bob Jackson frame, with Shimano Dura Ace components. The gear levers are mounted on the downtube. It has two tone paintwork (fork ends and tips of the seat and chain stay are silver whereas the rest of the frame is in gold, with hand painted black lines dividing the two colours) in fairly good condition. At some point it seems the silver parts were chromed but have since been repainted. Overall the bike doesn't seem to have been abused but it's clearly been left standing for a long time.

I've tried several times to upload a photo but it repeatedly seems to fail, perhaps the file size is too large? I'll try again tomorrow, but in the meantime if anyone has any ideas what features I can look for which might help me find out more about it then I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Sounds like a great find! Bob Jackson made great frames, and Dura Ace are top of the line components.

However without photos we're not going to be of much help. I always find it easiest to upload them elsewhere (like imgur) and then link them here using the [img] tag. Just put [img] before the link to the photo (ending with .jpg or .jpeg usually) and a [/img] link after the link.
jmeb is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 04:15 PM
  #3  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,145

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Contact Bob Jackson with the serial number. They are very good with their record-keeping and also very nice about providing you the information about when it was made. I have owned two (still have one), and they gave me details about both of them.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 04:16 PM
  #4  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,233
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
The paint job reads mid 70's but Bob Jackson has a long history.
Dura Ace components if original can be from about '73 onwards.
Most Bob Jacksons were imported as frame sets. Typical was with a basic headset and plain alloy seat pin as the British call them.
Built to owners tastes by the selling bike shop most often.
repechage is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 04:53 PM
  #5  
gaucho777 
Senior Member
 
gaucho777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 6,305

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Nishiki Competition, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
That's a nice bike! Based on the 1st generation Dura Ace parts group (top of the line from Shimano), I'd guess it's mid- to late-70s. Those black anodized hubs and brakes are really cool, and less common than the grey anodized versions. Bob Jackson's are very well regarded.

You say it rides well, but it doesn't appear to have been given an thorough overhaul. Is that correct? You likely have dried out grease in the bearings. It's really important that you overhaul the bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, pedals, headset) before putting more miles on it or you may end up with ruined bearing surfaces.

You've got a nice gardener!

P.s. The best way to post pictures is to copy the "[IMG]" links from your photo album and paste them directly into the reply.
gaucho777 is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 04:55 PM
  #6  
USAZorro
Señor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 16,145

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Contact Bob Jackson with your serial number. They respond to e-mail, keep very good records, and are very obliging about telling you what they can about when your bicycle was made and what model it is. I have owned two of them, and both times, within a day or two of asking, a response was given.

The frame looks quite similar to the frame of a '91 I once owned.
__________________
In search of what to search for.

Last edited by USAZorro; 05-28-15 at 05:03 PM.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 05:11 PM
  #7  
dailycommute
Senior Member
 
dailycommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: RiverRoad, ME
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Old brooks swallow and check out that fork angle, that looks crazy fast. The saddle looks well broken in, I would say somebody enjoyed it before it went to the shed.
dailycommute is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 05:23 PM
  #8  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,233
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
'75-'77 my calendar dart toss.
Stock seat post, Black Dura-Ace came out in '75 essentially.
Note it has the factory headset.
Nice looking machine.
repechage is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 06:00 PM
  #9  
sloar 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Elwood Indiana
Posts: 6,070

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Very nice, great find. That should clean up really nice. I always have my eyes open for a Bob Jackson!
__________________
Semper fi
sloar is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 07:37 PM
  #10  
rootboy 
Senior Member
 
rootboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wherever
Posts: 16,594
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
I've got to get a gardener.
rootboy is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 09:48 PM
  #11  
mississippimud
Senior Member
 
mississippimud's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nice ! Do a good detail , adjustments, lube , tires and tubes and RIDE !
mississippimud is offline  
Old 05-28-15, 11:09 PM
  #12  
desconhecido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,461
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
That's a beautiful bicycle. I bought a Bob Jackson frame from the "factory" in about 2003 and really like the bike a lot.

I don't think you should change anything about the bike. Top level components for the era and everything should last forever.

Taking care of the essential maintenance, as mentioned, isn't very tough and if you don't want to do it yourself, any competent shop should be able to do it for a reasonable price. It's well worth the money -- it's a great bike.
desconhecido is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 12:32 AM
  #13  
markwynde
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gaucho777 View Post
That's a nice bike! Based on the 1st generation Dura Ace parts group (top of the line from Shimano), I'd guess it's mid- to late-70s. Those black anodized hubs and brakes are really cool, and less common than the grey anodized versions. Bob Jackson's are very well regarded.

You say it rides well, but it doesn't appear to have been given an thorough overhaul. Is that correct? You likely have dried out grease in the bearings. It's really important that you overhaul the bearings (hubs, bottom bracket, pedals, headset) before putting more miles on it or you may end up with ruined bearing surfaces.

You've got a nice gardener!

P.s. The best way to post pictures is to copy the "[IMG]" links from your photo album and paste them directly into the reply.
Hi gaucho, thanks for the advice. I only rode it up and down the road a few times and plan to give it a full service before using it further.

Last edited by markwynde; 05-29-15 at 12:43 AM.
markwynde is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 12:37 AM
  #14  
markwynde
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
Contact Bob Jackson with the serial number. They are very good with their record-keeping and also very nice about providing you the information about when it was made. I have owned two (still have one), and they gave me details about both of them.
Good idea, I will have a look for the serial number and contact them.. It would be great to know the history of this bike.
markwynde is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 12:42 AM
  #15  
markwynde
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mississippimud View Post
Nice ! Do a good detail , adjustments, lube , tires and tubes and RIDE !
Good advice
markwynde is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 07:42 AM
  #16  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,233
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Adjustment wise, I would do a few things:
Rotate the bars so the bottom return in side view is at least level or angled a bit, say 5 degrees the other direction.
This will get the brake hoods to a place where you could actually rest your hands on them.
(I would move the levers up on the bars too, but that will require retapng them.)
If you are about 5' 8" or taller, flip the seat clamp around to behind the seatpost.
This will help set the saddle so your knee will not be forward of the pedal axle at the 3 o'clock position.
Consider toe clips and straps.
repechage is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 07:57 AM
  #17  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,402

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
That will absolutely rail corners but you will get used to it. Hang on and enjoy the ride!
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 11:12 AM
  #18  
peter_d
self propelled lifer
 
peter_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 543

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
There's an interesting chapter on Bob Jackson bikes here. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/pub...tombicycle.pdf Chapter 5 is what you want but the whole book is worth a read.
Looks like a very nice bike that you have, Bob Jacksons were a little up and down in quality but the good ones are very good indeed.
peter_d is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 11:25 AM
  #19  
cb400bill
Administrator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 16,246

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Pic assist.

cb400bill is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 11:52 AM
  #20  
cyclotoine
Senior Member
 
cyclotoine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 8,774
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
That's an incredible find. In case you didn't gather this. The black parts came that way and are highly desirable.
__________________
1 Super Record bike, 1 Nuovo Record bike, 1 Pista, 1 Road, 1 Cyclocross/Allrounder, 1 MTB, 1 Touring, 1 Fixed gear
cyclotoine is offline  
Old 05-29-15, 11:56 AM
  #21  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 14,570

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
My wife is my gardener. I hope she doesn't give away my bikes!
bikemig is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.