Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Us Your Vintage Cannondale!

Old 05-23-19, 07:15 PM
  #951  
dj Velotiik
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 13

Bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/members/dj_velotiik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dj Velotiik is offline  
Old 05-23-19, 08:06 PM
  #952  
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider
 
mkeller234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 8,586

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Oh, that is nice! The QR skewer on the Seatpost is really cool. Eye candy all around

Originally Posted by chico81 View Post
Is a mountain bike ok? Itís a 1992 M700, so original when I got it that it had the original Ritchey Megabite tires! I took them off for safety reasons The paint is a gorgeous blue-to-black fade that doesnít photograph as pretty as it is in person. It also has the aluminum Pepperoni Fork, that luckily had a steel steerer! I loved restoring this bike, but it was just too small, so I sold it locally


mkeller234 is offline  
Old 05-23-19, 11:00 PM
  #953  
chico81 
Senior Member
 
chico81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 214

Bikes: 1983 Austro Daimler - Puch Pacifica, 1984 Miyata 310, 1983 Univega Gran Tourismo, 1989 Peugeot Triathlon, 1989 Bridgestone MB-1, 1992 Klein Rascal, 1992 Cannondale M-700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks!! That QR is the only mod I made, or even had to make because this bike just looked so good from the factory!

Originally Posted by mkeller234 View Post
Oh, that is nice! The QR skewer on the Seatpost is really cool. Eye candy all around
chico81 is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 05:50 AM
  #954  
Craptacular8
Senior Member
 
Craptacular8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1988 ST400 Rebuild



Just finished the rebuild on this 1988 ST400. Had the frame and fork powder coated last fall. Converted to 700c wheels (Magic Open Probrims/Shimano 105 hubs). A mix of decent, though nothing fancy components. The crankset was new, but guessing it must have been an oem part, as I havenít found it otherwise. Itís SRAM 9 speed 48/34. Less than 700 grams w/o the bb. Rode very smooth. Will rack it up and do at least a weekend tour this summer.
Craptacular8 is offline  
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 05-26-19, 05:54 AM
  #955  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,276

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.
That turned out very nice.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 10:12 AM
  #956  
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,497

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Beautiful ST! I like the subdued 'coral' orange color. Stock components on an '88 ST400 would have had a Sugino triple crankset and a bevy of Suntour Accushift pieces--nothing that looked as good as what you have on it now, IMO. What SRAM crankset is that? While I am not on the SRAM-for-the-whole-groupset train, they have produced some very nice looking cranksets, ones that I'd not mind on my bikes (Red and Force carbon). Add another one to the list! This looks like it took heavy inspiration from C-Record era Campagnolo. A bit of Athena and Record in there for sure.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 02:54 PM
  #957  
sdn40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 400

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
It immediately reminded me of the SRAM Rival I picked up. It was a take off from a Giant frame that cracked. It is the base from which will drive my Kestrel build. FSA is all well and good but their bottom brackets are too damn pricey, not to mention the cranksets. I'll survive with the extra weight



And that color reminded me of this. If I can't come to terms with the red with white fade of my Kestrel - I was toying with this idea. So I dig your Cannondale build.


Last edited by sdn40; 05-26-19 at 02:59 PM.
sdn40 is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 04:56 PM
  #958  
jdawginsc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 116

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, ?Rossin Performance EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
"Crestdale"...



Riding it is like a minty freshness...
jdawginsc is offline  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 05-26-19, 06:01 PM
  #959  
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids
 
Repack Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Marin County, California
Posts: 372

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2013 Trek Rumblefish, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2 and LeMond road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
26" X 24"
Repack Rider is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 06:43 PM
  #960  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,534

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8 View Post


Just finished the rebuild on this 1988 ST400. Had the frame and fork powder coated last fall. Converted to 700c wheels (Magic Open Probrims/Shimano 105 hubs). A mix of decent, though nothing fancy components. The crankset was new, but guessing it must have been an oem part, as I havenít found it otherwise. Itís SRAM 9 speed 48/34. Less than 700 grams w/o the bb. Rode very smooth. Will rack it up and do at least a weekend tour this summer.
I think I have an Orange Crush on your bike. 😍😁
stardognine is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 08:31 PM
  #961  
Craptacular8
Senior Member
 
Craptacular8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sram Crankset

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel View Post
Beautiful ST! I like the subdued 'coral' orange color. Stock components on an '88 ST400 would have had a Sugino triple crankset and a bevy of Suntour Accushift pieces--nothing that looked as good as what you have on it now, IMO. What SRAM crankset is that? While I am not on the SRAM-for-the-whole-groupset train, they have produced some very nice looking cranksets, ones that I'd not mind on my bikes (Red and Force carbon). Add another one to the list! This looks like it took heavy inspiration from C-Record era Campagnolo. A bit of Athena and Record in there for sure.
Went back and looked at my purchase records. I bought it off eBay. It was listed as Powerglide, 2x9 and that it was a oem part, but no further detail. I took it out for 30 miles today, crankset was pretty decent. I expected this to feel not particularly compliant. I was pleasantly surprised. It was really smooth, without feeling sluggish like I thought those long stays might. Really enjoyed the ride.
Craptacular8 is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 08:35 PM
  #962  
Craptacular8
Senior Member
 
Craptacular8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Crank

Originally Posted by sdn40 View Post
It immediately reminded me of the SRAM Rival I picked up. It was a take off from a Giant frame that cracked. It is the base from which will drive my Kestrel build. FSA is all well and good but their bottom brackets are too damn pricey, not to mention the cranksets. I'll survive with the extra weight



And that color reminded me of this. If I can't come to terms with the red with white fade of my Kestrel - I was toying with this idea. So I dig your Cannondale build.

Yes, that looks like the same crankset. I would have thought they would have kept their branding on it though?
Craptacular8 is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 10:22 PM
  #963  
spedrunr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 142

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
"Crestdale"...



Riding it is like a minty freshness...
Them are some white hoods
spedrunr is offline  
Old 05-26-19, 11:14 PM
  #964  
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,497

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8 View Post
Went back and looked at my purchase records. I bought it off eBay. It was listed as Powerglide, 2x9 and that it was a oem part, but no further detail. I took it out for 30 miles today, crankset was pretty decent. I expected this to feel not particularly compliant. I was pleasantly surprised. It was really smooth, without feeling sluggish like I thought those long stays might. Really enjoyed the ride.
Weird that the seller listed it as "OEM" (aka came on the bike new) because it isn't (SRAM didn't possess or make cranksets until 2004/2005). Closest I can find is an older Force crankset, or an S500/S550/S300 variant as all have the same C-Record arm design the blends smoothly (no creases that define the arm) into the spider. Regardless, it's a beautiful crankset, and the other black components make this thing very visually cohesive. Older SRAM cranksets actually have very nice designs. Who knew?

Original crankset was a Sugino MP110 (110mm BCD) with a 50-40T chainring combo.

As to the ST's ride and handling characteristics, you are spot on. You can actually get out of the saddle and put power down like a sprinter and it will play ball. 46cm chainstays with steel won't do that, but large-tube aluminum ST's will. The stability and steering geometry make for tremendously competent bikes.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 09:03 AM
  #965  
jdawginsc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 116

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, ?Rossin Performance EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spedrunr View Post
Them are some white hoods
Simple Green. Does a beautiful job. I notice you kept the bio pace crank on there. It killed my knees and cadence. Had to go round.
jdawginsc is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 02:32 PM
  #966  
spedrunr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 142

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
Simple Green. Does a beautiful job. I notice you kept the bio pace crank on there. It killed my knees and cadence. Had to go round.
Yeah, too lazy to switch out the Biopace chain ring, haven't noticed a big difference. I could swap it out from another bike. I use GooGone on my hoods but didn't finish it off.

What's the story on your bike? Original owner?
spedrunr is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 05:45 PM
  #967  
gil_00000
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 19

Bikes: 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All these pics make me want a Cannondale. Really it makes me wish the '94 M400 I have wasn't a size too small.
gil_00000 is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 06:34 PM
  #968  
spedrunr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 142

Bikes: Bianchi: '89 Celeste Campione d'Italia, '89 Celeste Incline, 80's Grizzly, 90's Volpe, Bridgestone(90's): CB-0, MB-3 Comp, Klein road, Cannondale road

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gil_00000 View Post
All these pics make me want a Cannondale. Really it makes me wish the '94 M400 I have wasn't a size too small.
Keep an eye out on CL, sell yours and buy the right size. They are to be had for less than $100 if you're patient.
spedrunr is offline  
Old 05-27-19, 06:41 PM
  #969  
jdawginsc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 116

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, ?Rossin Performance EL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by spedrunr View Post
Yeah, too lazy to switch out the Biopace chain ring, haven't noticed a big difference. I could swap it out from another bike. I use GooGone on my hoods but didn't finish it off.

What's the story on your bike? Original owner?
Story is I bought it in 1988ish. New at shop...was a promotional thing for bike shops. $495 I think. Sold my Bianchi Randonneur to offset the cost. Wish I didn't. That was the best touring bike ever.
jdawginsc is offline  
Old 06-02-19, 08:12 AM
  #970  
EnzoRWD
enginerd
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MKE
Posts: 659

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
getting close to finishing my SC600 build to match my track

EnzoRWD is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 01:37 AM
  #971  
RiddleOfSteel
Lugged, Dura-Ace Glory
 
RiddleOfSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,497

Bikes: '87 Schwinn Prologue - '74 Schwinn Paramount P15 - '8X Davidson Impulse - '88 Land Shark Road Shark - '92 Specialized Epic Carbon - '15 Cannondale CAAD10 Disc - '81 Trek 710 - '92? Bushnell Track Bike

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD View Post
getting close to finishing my SC600 build to match my track

Oh my.

60cm track (so rare!) and a 63cm SC600? Gorgeous condition and paint, especially that oh-so-'90s SC.
RiddleOfSteel is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 04:10 PM
  #972  
brandenjs
WV is not flat..
 
brandenjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charles Town,Wv.
Posts: 1,114

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Picked up Black Lightning #2 today. This one is a 1989 60cm with the Suntour Edge group. Only thing non original besides tires is the crankset. The original had been stripped by someone who tried to get the pedals off incorrectly. Has the typical Cannondale paint chips, but pretty good condition.
brandenjs is offline  
Old 06-05-19, 08:12 PM
  #973  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,534

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc View Post
Simple Green. Does a beautiful job. I notice you kept the bio pace crank on there. It killed my knees and cadence. Had to go round.
I finally gave up on Bio-Pace too, lol. 😁 I really wanted them to work, but they just don't, in the long run. I put some old steel round chainrings on (for the granny & middle ring), and it's WAY better, especially for touring, with a heavy-ish load. 👍
stardognine is offline  
Old 06-06-19, 04:47 PM
  #974  
sdn40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 400

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Buy a Kuerig for $100 get a Cannondale for $5. Or maybe it was the other way around. Female owned and spotless. The bike too. Love the color, but sadly a size too small. The crappy picture comes off as blue, but in real life its a silvery purple or lavender

Last edited by sdn40; 06-06-19 at 05:37 PM.
sdn40 is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 08:08 AM
  #975  
Team Miami 
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very clean :-) . Looks awesome!
Team Miami is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.