Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

VO stems fit into French steerers.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

VO stems fit into French steerers.

Old 09-15-15, 03:25 PM
  #1  
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
Thread Starter
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,141

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 836 Posts
Origin-8 brand stems fit into French steerers.

I just received several stems and measured their quill diameters. The three ORIGIN-8 stems measure no greater than 22.0mm, slightly less in places, so are sure to be a real time-saver versus filing down stems as I have often resorted.
EDIT; I test-fitted one into both a PX10 and a Urago, both are from the 1960's and so definitely both 22.0mm spec.

Though rather heavy, these very inexpensive stems are sleek and beefy, with notable extra material surrounding the tapped hole that runs up into the bottom of the extension, just behind the clamp. They are otherwise much like a copy of the ubiquitous "SR Custom" stem iir, which was possibly the most mass-produced stem ever.

I found that the logo was very easily removed with wetted, medium steel wool, leaving no blemish to the original, smooth finish.

Also, that the clamp diameter, at my measured 25.56mm, will likely work either with 25.4mm (as intended) or 25.8mm handlebars.
EDIT; I did test-install a pair of TTT bars, but it took much spreading force from an Allen key being wedged in and rotated 30 degrees. So I'm uncomfortable recommending this stem being used with bars larger than 25.4mm.

I am quite pleased with this find. A shiny, sturdy 10cm stem for an old French bike is an oft-needed part(!).
Just don't use it with a 25.0mm French handlebar(!), which are almost always too narrow anyway.

Note that most true 22.0 French stem quills measure at least a tenth of a millimeter smaller than 22.0mm, with many even measuring well under that, so I don't consider these stems at all unsafe to use in the intended 22.2mm ID steer tubes, especially as the slant/wedge design isn't vulnerable to cracks developing from any over-expansion of the quill by a cone-type of wedge.


Last edited by dddd; 09-15-15 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Origin-8 was called VO, oops.
dddd is offline  
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-15-15, 03:40 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Chombi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,138

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Hmmmm.....I did not know that they included Russian made, heavy gauge, reusable condoms with VO stems these days....
What will they think of next??
Chombi is offline  
Likes For Chombi:
Old 09-15-15, 04:27 PM
  #3  
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
Thread Starter
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,141

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Hmmmm.....I did not know that they included Russian made, heavy gauge, reusable condoms with VO stems these days....
What will they think of next??
Apparently there is a long-standing tradition of such. Yes, quite re-usable, contains the grease well enough even on pull-outs.
dddd is offline  
Old 09-15-15, 05:02 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
fender1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Berwyn PA
Posts: 6,420

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Apparently there is a long-standing tradition of such. Yes, quite re-usable, contains the grease well enough even on pull-outs.
wow....you just went there...kudos.
fender1 is offline  
Old 09-16-15, 06:56 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Work in Asia, now based in Vienna, VA
Posts: 1,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I just received several stems and measured their quill diameters. The three ORIGIN-8 stems measure no greater than 22.0mm, slightly less in places, so are sure to be a real time-saver versus filing down stems as I have often resorted.
EDIT; I test-fitted one into both a PX10 and a Urago, both are from the 1960's and so definitely both 22.0mm spec.

Though rather heavy, these very inexpensive stems are sleek and beefy, with notable extra material surrounding the tapped hole that runs up into the bottom of the extension, just behind the clamp. They are otherwise much like a copy of the ubiquitous "SR Custom" stem iir, which was possibly the most mass-produced stem ever.

I found that the logo was very easily removed with wetted, medium steel wool, leaving no blemish to the original, smooth finish.

Also, that the clamp diameter, at my measured 25.56mm, will likely work either with 25.4mm (as intended) or 25.8mm handlebars.
EDIT; I did test-install a pair of TTT bars, but it took much spreading force from an Allen key being wedged in and rotated 30 degrees. So I'm uncomfortable recommending this stem being used with bars larger than 25.4mm.

I am quite pleased with this find. A shiny, sturdy 10cm stem for an old French bike is an oft-needed part(!).
Just don't use it with a 25.0mm French handlebar(!), which are almost always too narrow anyway.

Note that most true 22.0 French stem quills measure at least a tenth of a millimeter smaller than 22.0mm, with many even measuring well under that, so I don't consider these stems at all unsafe to use in the intended 22.2mm ID steer tubes, especially as the slant/wedge design isn't vulnerable to cracks developing from any over-expansion of the quill by a cone-type of wedge.


Ignoring the subsequent details, I do want to thank you for this. Especially on the test to remove that hideous logo. I have two French bikes and could use inconspicuous stem options.

Thanks.
__________________
1959 Hilton Wrigley Connoisseur (my favorite!)
1963 Hetchins Mountain King
1971 Gitane Tour de France (original owner)
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
LeicaLad is offline  
Likes For LeicaLad:
Old 09-16-15, 09:17 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Posts: 17,414
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
If you care about such things, they're too modern looking for any bike that would require a 22 mm stem.
Grand Bois is offline  
Old 09-16-15, 09:26 AM
  #7  
Ellensburg, WA
 
scozim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Posts: 3,761

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 159 Posts
Thanks for the info. I like it - nice smooth finish. Definitely like the look of this stem vs. the 70's Pivo, etc.
__________________
1984 Gitane Tour de France; 1968 Peugeot PL8; 1982 Nishiki Marina 12; 1984 Peugeot PSV; 1993 Trek 950 mtb; 1983 Vitus 979; Colnago Super, mid-80's Bianchi Veloce, 1984 or 85 Vitus 979




scozim is offline  
Old 09-16-15, 05:12 PM
  #8  
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
Thread Starter
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,141

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 836 Posts
I've just finished installing one of the Origin-8 stems that I also modified to properly fit and grip a 26.0 handlebar.

I had to fashion a sort of reamer to apply the necessarily forceful sanding action that would maintain the straight bore centerline with even stock removal. It worked out great, and I'm just now about to finish wrapping my new, wider, Trek-sourced handlebars with a bit shallower ramp angle than the original, narrow, 25.0mm AVA handlebars.
True, that the original look has not been preserved, but I at least got the clamp and rider-fit dimensions worked out to perfection using an older bar with plain, silver center and with traditional round curves instead of some Ergo-Anatomic style. I did what I could with the parts I had, and now will be riding with a non-death stem and padded tape. I'll post a before and after of the bike in a little while.

dddd is offline  
Old 09-16-15, 06:48 PM
  #9  
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
Thread Starter
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,141

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked 1,256 Times in 836 Posts
Ok, it all done and ready for a ride. It sure will be nice to really climb the very steep ones without my knees hitting the upper level of the handlebar, even though I don't think I was able to raise the bars higher than before at all before reaching the stem's limit line. The "ramp angle" of these (Trek) "System III" 26mmX42cm bars does seem taller at the levers as shown.

This was the third frame with a 22mm steerer ID that one of these new stems went into without effort, and those plastic caps kept grease off of things while I did the many test-fitting routines in getting this stem on board. I'm sure that I will notice the stiffer handlebar mounting versus the hollow, skinny death stem.

Noting that I did have to very slightly relieve the headset locknut ID, using a Dremel, so there was an easy sliding fit.
I used the CycloLinea padded tape from Nashbar, and this tape comes up short unless you keep overlap to about 1/4" in most places. I literally trimmed zero from the ends, except for the angle cut, and that on the first try! Not bad for $5 though.

Also the generous cable lengths now border on too short, but the pro riders used to set them up that way in many cases, probably to save weight and aero drag! I can turn the bars fully with no problem, and the brakes are working great with Jagwire's cheaper pads in back to quiet a buzzy squeal against the serrated rim sidewalls.

As always, the Cane Creek hoods save the day, enabling a good build on a tight budget, while keeping the original levers (these older ones with the much-gentler curve downward, thus a little more reach).




dddd is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 12:44 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,728
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I can also attest to the Origin8 stem purchased last week working with the French steerer of my PX-10.
Narhay is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 08:42 AM
  #11  
Full Member
 
Roypercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn NY
Posts: 484

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 27 Posts
Great call on the Origin 8 stems. I had been looking for a new, shorter-reach stem for my Grand Jubile, and the Origin 8 fit perfectly; a little steel wool and the hideous logo is a thing of the past. Thanks!
Roypercy is offline  
Old 05-16-16, 08:47 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,494

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5872 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,056 Posts
This is great info and very useful info on Russian personal safety products as well,
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-16-16, 09:38 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,728
Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I spent many a day humming and hawing over French eBay stems. They were either not the right size, too expensive or not to my aesthetic liking. These are pretty generic looking stems which is just fine by me and they are replacing some very nice and light but flexy for my size Ava stem and bars.
Narhay is offline  
Old 11-09-22, 09:07 PM
  #14  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 40 Posts
thread revival alert!

i was researching french stems with 26 clamp diameter and found this thread. so i bought an origin 8 stem on ebay and it's too big for my 3 peugeots (72, 77, 81). just a cautionary tale.

maybe there was an era of these that were smaller? anyways, the search continues...
dukeofearl is offline  
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 11-10-22, 01:34 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
1simplexnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,035

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
thread revival alert!

i was researching french stems with 26 clamp diameter and found this thread. so i bought an origin 8 stem on ebay and it's too big for my 3 peugeots (72, 77, 81). just a cautionary tale.

maybe there was an era of these that were smaller? anyways, the search continues...
I recently bought some old stock ITM stems that I liked the look of .
On receiving them I found they measured just under 22mm


I have used one on a known french threaded/sized fork .




1simplexnut is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 05:22 AM
  #16  
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 660 Posts
I have a happy PX-10 with an Origin8 stem. The AVA went into the recycling bin.

The stem is crudely finished though. I did spend some sanding time on the visible area and finished with the buffer.
BTinNYC is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 06:43 AM
  #17  
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 23,547

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 614 Posts
I find a lot of 22.2 stems measure more like 22.0. And I have a pile of them. The odd handlebar size on many French bikes is also an issue. So a smallish 22.2 stem can be a good choice. Digital calipers for the WIN.

To anyone looking for a bargain, take your calipers to the closest co op and dig through their stem bin. Chances are you will find some good options that will measure 22.0.

My other strategy on finding French parts is to pick up a 1970s Motobecane, lower model. There I find Japanese made parts in French sizes, like SR forged stems. I also find Swiss bottom brackets (and sometimes French BB, again Japanese made). They also tended to use mid level Suntour derailleurs.
__________________
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-10-22 at 06:47 AM.
wrk101 is offline  
Likes For wrk101:
Old 11-10-22, 08:56 AM
  #18  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
I find a lot of 22.2 stems measure more like 22.0. And I have a pile of them. The odd handlebar size on many French bikes is also an issue. So a smallish 22.2 stem can be a good choice. Digital calipers for the WIN.

To anyone looking for a bargain, take your calipers to the closest co op and dig through their stem bin. Chances are you will find some good options that will measure 22.0.

My other strategy on finding French parts is to pick up a 1970s Motobecane, lower model. There I find Japanese made parts in French sizes, like SR forged stems. I also find Swiss bottom brackets (and sometimes French BB, again Japanese made). They also tended to use mid level Suntour derailleurs.
Yeah I suppose a trip to a local coop would be better than ebay trial and error. Not one that close unfortunately. Good call on the moto, though I'm hesitant to bring another bike into the basement wasteland!

Originally Posted by 1simplexnut
I recently bought some old stock ITM stems that I liked the look of .
On receiving them I found they measured just under 22mm

I have used one on a known french threaded/sized fork .
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for one of those. Please let me know if you have any you'd like to sell.
dukeofearl is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 09:07 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 14,773

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 517 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 3,817 Times in 1,427 Posts
I just pick whatever stem I want to use and then sand it down as needed. Sometimes you get lucky and they fit straight away. Other times you've got some work to do.

On my Grand Record, I was lazy and left it rough where I sanded above the insertion point.



On my PX-10 I took a bit more time and got it looking good. Sadly, the only picture I have handy covers it up with a bell, but, trust me, it looks great.

__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 09:24 AM
  #20  
...
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Whitestone and Rensselaerville, New York
Posts: 1,394

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 660 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
...On my PX-10
Great paint scheme! Custom? (gotta be)
BTinNYC is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 09:36 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Andy_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 14,773

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 517 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3222 Post(s)
Liked 3,817 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Great paint scheme! Custom? (gotta be)
No, that was the PX-10 Super Deluxe around 1964-1967. Near as I can tell, the only thing "super deluxe" about it was the different lug paint scheme. There was also, I believe, a UO-8 Super Deluxe, which is about as much of an oxymoron as I can imagine.
__________________
My Bikes
Andy_K is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 09:46 AM
  #22  
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 28,478

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2393 Post(s)
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,061 Posts
Curious - it seems as if the thread title is in error - Velo-Orange vs. Origin 8 - but by any chance are any VO quill stems also 22.0?

Would be nice if the Grand Cru came in that size...

-Kurt
__________________












cudak888 is offline  
Old 11-10-22, 11:01 AM
  #23  
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I just pick whatever stem I want to use and then sand it down as needed. Sometimes you get lucky and they fit straight away. Other times you've got some work to do.

On my Grand Record, I was lazy and left it rough where I sanded above the insertion point.

On my PX-10 I took a bit more time and got it looking good. Sadly, the only picture I have handy covers it up with a bell, but, trust me, it looks great.
I've never tried the sanding method - I think I'll give it a shot
dukeofearl is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
vtchuck
Classic & Vintage
13
06-27-16 07:48 AM
Vintage Raleigh
Bicycle Mechanics
8
01-18-16 07:01 PM
jpsawyer
Classic & Vintage
9
02-19-13 07:37 PM
DirtyHarry714
Classic & Vintage
10
04-24-12 08:32 AM
shnibop
Classic & Vintage
63
01-22-11 12:43 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.