Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

L'Eroica 2015 - pictures

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

L'Eroica 2015 - pictures

Old 10-07-15, 09:51 PM
  #26  
Ed.
Senior Member
 
Ed.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Posts: 1,539

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That is just so very cool. Totally amazing. Who knows, maybe before I'm too old and decripit I might figure out how to put it all together. The Torpado would be a natural, but a 47-22 bottom gear seems a bit daunting, LOL. (I wonder if they work a deal with Air Italia...)
Ed. is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 11:16 PM
  #27  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Thanks for all the kind replies. It was fun to be at the event and to do the report (it beats sticking photos in an album ). I hope also to have taken away some of the skeptisism about the event.
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-07-15, 11:25 PM
  #28  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed.
That is just so very cool. Totally amazing. Who knows, maybe before I'm too old and decripit I might figure out how to put it all together. The Torpado would be a natural, but a 47-22 bottom gear seems a bit daunting, LOL. (I wonder if they work a deal with Air Italia...)
I would not try this with that kind of gearing. We met an Englishman along the way with a beautiful original 1950's Rotrax, who had to walk up every hill with his 48-24 lowest gear. Which was probably a third of the total distance.

In 2013 I had 34-28 at my disposal, this time it was 36-28.
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 05:12 AM
  #29  
northbend 
Senior Member
 
northbend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Bend, Washington State
Posts: 2,869

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring)

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 3,292 Times in 603 Posts
Thanks for the report and what great photos!
northbend is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 06:03 AM
  #30  
paulkal
Senior Member
 
paulkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 951

Bikes: 2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like you had a great time.
paulkal is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 06:38 AM
  #31  
Jadesfire 
Senior Member
 
Jadesfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,500

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
That was a wonderful introduction to this event and an inspiring way to start my day. Thank you!
Jadesfire is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 08:11 AM
  #32  
Ed.
Senior Member
 
Ed.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Posts: 1,539

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I would not try this with that kind of gearing. We met an Englishman along the way with a beautiful original 1950's Rotrax, who had to walk up every hill with his 48-24 lowest gear. Which was probably a third of the total distance.

In 2013 I had 34-28 at my disposal, this time it was 36-28.


Ummmm, a bit outside the range of Gran Sport derailleurs Hey, but maybe I'm still younger and dumber than the Brit!

Last edited by Ed.; 10-08-15 at 08:14 AM.
Ed. is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 08:13 AM
  #33  
USAZorro
Seor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 17,771

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 560 Posts
Great report. Makes me want to go there even more. One of these years...
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 10:51 AM
  #34  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,699
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 313 Posts
OK, I looked up that sandwich...never mind.

Fantastic report and it looked like an amazing event, weather notwithstanding.

Thanks for the vicarious experience.
due ruote is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 11:07 AM
  #35  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
That is a beautiful setup, Ed! I'm sure they'd love to see that in Gaiole. But not something I'd choose to actually ride the L'Eroica, unless you've got Fausto Coppi's legs. I haven't.

I've been wanting to take my late fifties' L'Express but couldn't find a period correct setup that I can actually ride up these hills, so I chose seventies bikes instead. Many short cage derailleurs from that period can handle a 28T cog and a 28T chain wrap, which is just what I need.

BTW, the Englishman was in his early thirties, I think


Originally Posted by Ed.


Ummmm, a bit outside the range of Gran Sport derailleurs Hey, but maybe I'm still younger and dumber than the Brit!
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 11:23 AM
  #36  
SRFS1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Posts: 59

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi Giro, 1996 Giant ATX 780 (converted to touring), New Albion Privateer, Olmo Nuevo Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great report and pics! I need to put that ride on my list to do someday.
SRFS1 is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 11:24 AM
  #37  
Peugeotlover
Senior Member
 
Peugeotlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 557

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
In Post #4 , on that beautifully restored Gloria, the 6th photo down, notice the different style (homemade) 'tire saver'. Quite simple and looks like it will work.
Peugeotlover is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 11:24 AM
  #38  
Ed.
Senior Member
 
Ed.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Posts: 1,539

Bikes: 1938 Raleigh Record Ace (2), 1938 Schwinn Paramount, 1961 Torpado, 1964? Frejus, 1980 Raleigh 753 Team Pro, Moulton, other stuff...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
...

BTW, the Englishman was in his early thirties, I think
OK, so maybe I can get by on the dumber part... (Or, better yet, old age and treachery.)
Ed. is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 11:48 AM
  #39  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
In Post #4 , on that beautifully restored Gloria, the 6th photo down, notice the different style (homemade) 'tire saver'. Quite simple and looks like it will work.
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 12:11 PM
  #40  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
OK, I looked up that sandwich...never mind.

(...)
This is really going to be an informative thread.

While Lampredotto is traditionally served in a sandwich - I had to look that up too - mine came in a different form.

This is what I ordered in a restaurant in Volterra, out of sheer curiosity:



And this is what I got:



Soft meat, with a quite delicate taste. Nothing like the French Andouillette I was half expecting.
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 12:16 PM
  #41  
crank_addict
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,150
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 413 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Peugeotlover
In Post #4 , on that beautifully restored Gloria, the 6th photo down, notice the different style (homemade) 'tire saver'. Quite simple and looks like it will work.
If interested, you might try paging forum member, iab
crank_addict is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 12:28 PM
  #42  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by paulkal
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like you had a great time.
Thanks, Paul, and the others, for your kind replies. But be aware that mrs non-fixie and I did the short route this time - the tourists version if you will.

The longer routes, however, provide a more serious challenge, to put it mildly. Fellow members @Numbskull and @Bikegeek1968 did the 209k route and you can find their first remarks on their experiences here and here. Judge for yourself.
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 01:16 PM
  #43  
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio
 
Choke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 721

Bikes: Cicc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 286 Times in 127 Posts
Nice pics, thanks. That is the one ride I'd really like to do...maybe someday.
Choke is offline  
Old 10-08-15, 07:21 PM
  #44  
Stevensb 
Senior Member
 
Stevensb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 660

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 51 Posts
Great ride report @nonfixie. Good to see some food related content as well - starting to think the c&v lunch was a goner.

Brad
__________________
Better bike .. Better life!
Stevensb is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 03:01 PM
  #45  
Numbskull
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you plan to do the 208K keep in mind it is hard. There are long sections of 10-15% grade with shorter 20% sections and gravel. Nobody at that distance particularly cares what you are wearing or riding.

By sliding the rear wheel all the way back and using an 8 speed chain I was able to run a 14-30 freewheel with a NR derailleur. That gave me 42 x 30 as a low gear. I'm pushing 60, am pretty fit (on pavement I can can climb 25%) but that was not enough gearing for the conditions that day (mud and the best line blocked by walkers) so I spun out, stalled, and fell twice climbing out of Asciano (although did complete the climb each time by getting back on). Everything else I could handle. Next time I'll probably run a Rally with either a triple or a newer retro-looking compact 34-48. Certainly there were guys climbing it with 42X28 and even lower but you are talking about very accomplished cyclists at that point. 98% of the people I saw on the hill after Asciano were walking.

I used 32mm Compass tires on new H plus Sons rims I laced up for this. They worked well. LOTS of other guys flatted. I wrecked a Brooks saddle and put a whole bunch of new paint damage and scrapes on my bike. I haven't yet stripped the components down to see what the abrasive paste did to bearings.

My advice is to try and think through what you are looking to get from the ride. If you want a test then do the 208K but set your bike up realistically for it. If you want fun and the vintage experience do the 75K and enjoy yourself. Be aware that the 135K still sends you up the worst hill on the route (the section after Asciano) so if you don't gear for it you will have a long walk.
Numbskull is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 03:16 PM
  #46  
Drillium Dude
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: PAZ
Posts: 12,394
Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 1,707 Posts
Originally Posted by Numbskull
If you plan to do the 208K keep in mind it is hard. There are long sections of 10-15% grade with shorter 20% sections and gravel. Nobody at that distance particularly cares what you are wearing or riding.

By sliding the rear wheel all the way back and using an 8 speed chain I was able to run a 14-30 freewheel with a NR derailleur. That gave me 42 x 30 as a low gear. I'm pushing 60, am pretty fit (on pavement I can can climb 25%) but that was not enough gearing for the conditions that day (mud and the best line blocked by walkers) so I spun out, stalled, and fell twice climbing out of Asciano (although did complete the climb each time by getting back on). Everything else I could handle. Next time I'll probably run a Rally with either a triple or a newer retro-looking compact 34-48. Certainly there were guys climbing it with 42X28 and even lower but you are talking about very accomplished cyclists at that point. 98% of the people I saw on the hill after Asciano were walking.

I used 32mm Compass tires on new H plus Sons rims I laced up for this. They worked well. LOTS of other guys flatted. I wrecked a Brooks saddle and put a whole bunch of new paint damage and scrapes on my bike. I haven't yet stripped the components down to see what the abrasive paste did to bearings.

My advice is to try and think through what you are looking to get from the ride. If you want a test then do the 208K but set your bike up realistically for it. If you want fun and the vintage experience do the 75K and enjoy yourself. Be aware that the 135K still sends you up the worst hill on the route (the section after Asciano) so if you don't gear for it you will have a long walk.
I like this assessment, too. In fact, since I'll not be able to do this for a couple years, I like knowing in advance that I'll probably plan on he 75k route based upon your observations. I want the vintage experience without the extreme pain, scraped paint, etc

Congrats on grinding it through to the end!

DD
Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 03:29 PM
  #47  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 13,584
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,672 Times in 1,802 Posts
Thanks so much for this fabulous report non-fixie!

Your reports are always outstanding and much enjoyed here, but you have outdone yourself this time. Just great.

Love seeing all the cycles, cyclists, scenery, towns, food and reading the descriptions.

Those of us who did not attend could not hope for a finer correspondent.
juvela is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 04:03 PM
  #48  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by Numbskull
If you plan to do the 208K keep in mind it is hard. There are long sections of 10-15% grade with shorter 20% sections and gravel. Nobody at that distance particularly cares what you are wearing or riding.

By sliding the rear wheel all the way back and using an 8 speed chain I was able to run a 14-30 freewheel with a NR derailleur. That gave me 42 x 30 as a low gear. I'm pushing 60, am pretty fit (on pavement I can can climb 25%) but that was not enough gearing for the conditions that day (mud and the best line blocked by walkers) so I spun out, stalled, and fell twice climbing out of Asciano (although did complete the climb each time by getting back on). Everything else I could handle. Next time I'll probably run a Rally with either a triple or a newer retro-looking compact 34-48. Certainly there were guys climbing it with 42X28 and even lower but you are talking about very accomplished cyclists at that point. 98% of the people I saw on the hill after Asciano were walking.

I used 32mm Compass tires on new H plus Sons rims I laced up for this. They worked well. LOTS of other guys flatted. I wrecked a Brooks saddle and put a whole bunch of new paint damage and scrapes on my bike. I haven't yet stripped the components down to see what the abrasive paste did to bearings.

My advice is to try and think through what you are looking to get from the ride. If you want a test then do the 208K but set your bike up realistically for it. If you want fun and the vintage experience do the 75K and enjoy yourself. Be aware that the 135K still sends you up the worst hill on the route (the section after Asciano) so if you don't gear for it you will have a long walk.
Thanks for this addition, @Numbskull. This thread needed it. Kudos on completing the ride! The 75k recommendation is a good one. I did that two years ago, when I was riding on my own, and I was mighty glad I did, instead of the 135k I'd originally registered for.
__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 04:18 PM
  #49  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,708

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2077 Post(s)
Liked 3,896 Times in 1,539 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
Thanks so much for this fabulous report non-fixie!

Your reports are always outstanding and much enjoyed here, but you have outdone yourself this time. Just great.

Love seeing all the cycles, cyclists, scenery, towns, food and reading the descriptions.

Those of us who did not attend could not hope for a finer correspondent.
Thanks! Come with us next time; with your talent for colorful prose I'm sure you can do even better!

You'd probably have enjoyed this 'Wonder' from St Etienne, BTW:

__________________
Nananananananananana ...
non-fixie is offline  
Old 10-09-15, 05:14 PM
  #50  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 13,584
Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,672 Times in 1,802 Posts
what a beauty! one can see that alvin cash has been at work once again.

speaking of les cycles gaulique -

were you able to make out much of the writing on the j. cizeron of toulon's lower headplate?

the last line clearly says toulon but the lines above it are too small to make out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
J. Cizeron cycle, Toulon -.jpg (80.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by juvela; 10-09-15 at 05:16 PM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.