Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Ironman Information Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1034941-ironman-information-thread.html)

Vintage_Cyclist 10-24-15 06:32 PM


Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18268020)
And that's what mine came with. (13,15,17,19,21,24) model number mf z012.
Unless you're the original owner or aquired the expert 87 from the original owner and asked what original parts have you replaced (for my own records). It would be difficult to verify what parts are original.

Re: you 88 Purple Haze

Do you know what the original cassette was on yours? I have two, but I don't know which is the original one. One cassette is 12/13/14/15/17/19/21, the other is 13/14/15/17/19/21/23. I imagine the Expert has the same gears.

Like you mentioned in the other thread, the front wheel is 28 spokes, while the rear is 32 on my 58cm frame. (that's new info RT)

Lastly, you mentioned some touch-up solutions for the purple parts of the frame. Any luck matching the off-white color?

texaspandj 10-24-15 09:14 PM


Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 18268132)
Re: you 88 Purple Haze

Do you know what the original cassette was on yours? I have two, but I don't know which is the original one. One cassette is 12/13/14/15/17/19/21, the other is 13/14/15/17/19/21/23. I imagine the Expert has the same gears.

Like you mentioned in the other thread, the front wheel is 28 spokes, while the rear is 32 on my 58cm frame. (that's new info RT)


Lastly, you mentioned some touch-up solutions for the purple parts of the frame. Any luck matching the off-white color?

13-14-15-17-19-21-24 (7 speed). Not sure about the expert.
28 spoke front 32 spoke rear for my 52cm. I know at some point the larger sizes jumps to 32 front 32 back. I'll check to see at what size that happens.
And lastly,the white yellows at different rates for everyone,So.
One thing, on that purple haze, it has a purple tinted clear coat that is so cool,but hard to match. Later.

fleslider 10-24-15 09:28 PM


Originally Posted by top506 (Post 18268118)
The first '87 to pass through my hands (now in Jim Muller's barn) was 13-15-17-19-21-24. The second lacked wheels, but both were 52/42 Biopace.

Top

Same for my 87 Expert a Shimano 13-15-17-19-21-24 Freewheel and 52/42 Biopace Chainrings

Vintage_Cyclist 10-24-15 09:38 PM


Originally Posted by texaspandj (Post 18268384)
13-14-15-17-19-21-24 (7 speed). Not sure about the expert.
28 spoke front 32 spoke rear for my 52cm. I know at some point the larger sizes jumps to 32 front 32 back. I'll check to see at what size that happens.
And lastly,the white yellows at different rates for everyone,So.
One thing, on that purple haze, it has a purple tinted clear coat that is so cool,but hard to match. Later.

Went back and counted the teeth on the cassette I have installed, and it matches. I must've miscounted before. I'm sure the Expert is the same.

I haven't been able to make a good match for that white. Lots of rectified rust issues on the top tube cable guides and seat tube lugs.

texaspandj 10-25-15 07:38 AM


Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 18268132)
Re: you 88 Purple Haze

Do you know what the original cassette was on yours? I have two, but I don't know which is the original one. One cassette is 12/13/14/15/17/19/21, the other is 13/14/15/17/19/21/23. I imagine the Expert has the same gears.

Like you mentioned in the other thread, the front wheel is 28 spokes, while the rear is 32 on my 58cm frame. (that's new info RT)

Lastly, you mentioned some touch-up solutions for the purple parts of the frame. Any luck matching the off-white color?

I failed to mention, but something worth noting:53,42 chain rings.

texaspandj 10-25-15 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 18268132)
Re: you 88 Purple Haze

Do you know what the original cassette was on yours? I have two, but I don't know which is the original one. One cassette is 12/13/14/15/17/19/21, the other is 13/14/15/17/19/21/23. I imagine the Expert has the same gears.

Like you mentioned in the other thread, the front wheel is 28 spokes, while the rear is 32 on my 58cm frame. (that's new info RT)

Lastly, you mentioned some touch-up solutions for the purple parts of the frame. Any luck matching the off-white color?

Not sure if this would be of interest to you, but as promised: The 88 master had 28 spokes front wheel and 32 spokes on rear wheel 48cm-58cm and 32 on front and rear after 58cm.
Probably should send that to RobbieTunes.

Armystrong 11-27-15 04:47 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Very Nice spreadsheet. I have been lurking her for some time because I have an ALL ORIGINAL 1986 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott MASTER....Yes 1986. At least the serial number would indicate it is a 1986 (N6M....). With that said here is what this 29 year old bike in MINT condition has on it. BTW, it was only road one time for a triathlon in San Luis Obispo CA, in 1987....The same year it was bought (1987).

Armystrong 11-27-15 04:54 PM

These are all original parts on the 1986 Centurion Master Ironman Dave Scott:
54cm (center to top of seat tube)
78.5cm Stand over height
Frame: Tange 1 CR-MO Seamless Tubing, Double Butted Tubes
Front Fork: CR-MO Steel Tange Fork Blade
Front Sprocket: Shimano Biopace
Handbar: Nitto Olympiade
Crank: Shimano 600
Pedal Cages: Shimano 600
Rims: Wolber Super Champion Alpine "Made in France"
Tires: Panaracer Technova 700x20C, 115 PSI
Rear Derailer: Shimano 600 SIS
Front Derailer: Shimano 600
Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo
Seat post: Sugino SP-KCL graduated fluted 27.0
Bike Pump: Zefal
Brakes: Shimano 600
Brake Pads: Shimano Low Profile 60

Vintage_Cyclist 11-27-15 05:27 PM

From the last iteration of the related Centurion Ironman Specs Google Spreadsheet

Feel free to PM me any corrections/additions. (Updated 12/18/15)

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...s-page-001.jpg

Armystrong 11-27-15 05:27 PM

So here is my questions....the serial number says N6MXXXX. The x indicating the rest of the serial number I am leaving out. Why would the serial number indicate being manufactured in 1986 but then all the parts and color be that of a 1987?
More pictures to enjoy:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psnduo92gy.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psesfginu6.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...pssfypuvwd.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psyyw6tc8u.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps6m354hgk.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps7gnxzjfi.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psanoqpsfi.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps5awoxwzf.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ps2ua9orwl.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...psh3uidcpm.jpg

Vintage_Cyclist 11-27-15 05:31 PM


Originally Posted by Armystrong (Post 18349405)
So here is my questions....the serial number says N6MXXXX. The x indicating the rest of the serial number I am leaving out. Why would the serial number indicate being manufactured in 1986 but then all the parts and color be that of a 1987?
More pictures to enjoy:

It was manufactured during 1986 for sale as a 1987 model.

Armystrong 11-27-15 05:46 PM

Would I list it for sale as a 1986 or 1987?

RobbieTunes 11-27-15 06:08 PM

Nice snapshot of:

Legend.

Gratitude Big to Vintage_Cyclist


Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 18349403)
From the last iteration of the related Centurion Ironman Specs Google Spreadsheet

Feel free to PM me any corrections/additions.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...1.jpg~original


RobbieTunes 11-27-15 06:13 PM


Originally Posted by Armystrong (Post 18349448)
Would I list it for sale as a 1986 or 1987?

1987 Model.
Christmas selling season, with '86 mfg dates for sale as 1987 models.

This is a straight information thread. We appreciate the pictures, and they are appropriate for an OEM model. It's better posted on one or two of the other threads regarding Centurions/Ironman models, and since you came here for info to sell it, it's also suited for the Subforum C&V Valuation Inquiry thread....

FYI, there was no Master model in 1986, period.
Don't feel bad, a bike shop in Houston is selling an '86 on CL as a Master, too.
They know better, but are just trying to get the best price.

Please don't try to sell it here on BF C&V without paying the fee to do so.

Yours is really, really nice; it's a 54cm model the way Centurion measures it.

I recommend you leave your picture posts here, as well as the one with the OEM list of items, but change the date to 1987, then copy the same pictures and any questions you have here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/767379-post-your-centurion-ironman-love-80s-paint-jobs.html


http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...als-inquiries/

texaspandj 11-27-15 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 18349403)
From the last iteration of the related Centurion Ironman Specs Google Spreadsheet

Feel free to PM me any corrections/additions

Vintage _ Cyclist, Amazing and Awesome! Great job.

R.T., not judging but that was some good sheriffing. Wait, maybe that is judging.

fleslider 12-13-15 12:18 AM

Ironman Bump

https://vivalaslider.files.wordpress...2644.jpg?w=800

rjhammett 03-06-16 12:50 AM

I have had two Miami Vice's (1 sold because a little small and 1 I have kept). Both took 27.0 seatposts. I couldn't get 27.2 to fit either of them. Mine isn't stock. I have all Shimano Sante components. It looks really nice on that frame.


Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 18249116)
Things I absolutely don't know about the Ironman models....

The actual seat post size. I know what was specified, but I've put a 27.2 in all of mine.


tcpasley 10-14-16 12:16 PM

Crown Race Diameter, Miami Vice paint color matches
 
Was that original crown race spec for the '87 Iroman Master? I picked up two '87 framesets (frame/fork only - well, the Ironman Expert also has a stuck seatpost). The Ironman Master has a bad black repaint, so I'm not 100% sure if the fork is original, but it has "TANGE" stamped on the steerer and has a sloping crown. The dropouts have pronounced lawyer lips, and the inner side of the dropout openings is tapered to allow for an easier wheel change. The fork has a 27.0mm diameter crown race. Do y'all think that it's probably original?

Also, on the Ironman Expert, the top tube cable guides have been sprayed black to stop rust. I might try to blast just the rusty spots and touch it up with rattle can paint if I can find a good match. Has anyone found good matches for the Miami Vice colors?

Sorry for not having pictures. Maybe later.

Thanks

arizona cowboy 05-25-17 10:11 AM

Does anyone know the weight of each Ironman model by year, and the MSRP by year? - Those two pieces of data seem to be elusive on the Internet.

cb400bill 05-25-17 08:54 PM

We are going to Sticky this thread and see how it goes.

Vintage_Cyclist 05-25-17 09:34 PM


Originally Posted by arizona cowboy (Post 19609244)
Does anyone know the weight of each Ironman model by year, and the MSRP by year? - Those two pieces of data seem to be elusive on the Internet.

Where obtainable from documents: Prices are from Bicycling magazine reviews, except where indicated. Weights are from catalogs, except 1989 (Bicycling review).

1989
IM Master- ?? lbs $???
IM Expert- 23 lbs $650

1988
IM Master- ?? lbs $600 (cost to me new as a leftover in 1989)
IM Expert- ?? lbs $???

1987
IM Master- 22.7 lbs $650
IM Expert- 23.7 lbs $520

1986
IM only- 22.7 lbs $525

1985
IM only- 22.7 lbs $???

qcpmsame 05-26-17 05:30 AM


Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 19610850)
We are going to Sticky this thread and see how it goes.

Thank you Bill/staff, much appreciated and needed.

Bill

Dega1979 05-29-17 05:22 PM

My 1889 Ironman Master had Sampson clipless pedals as original equipment

RobbieTunes 06-02-17 06:31 PM

Testor's yellow is darn close to the yellow. I've found some fuscia stuff close to the other color,
and it's hit/miss on that. Been a while so I am not spot on.


Originally Posted by tcpasley (Post 19122910)
Was that original crown race spec for the '87 Iroman Master? I picked up two '87 framesets (frame/fork only - well, the Ironman Expert also has a stuck seatpost). The Ironman Master has a bad black repaint, so I'm not 100% sure if the fork is original, but it has "TANGE" stamped on the steerer and has a sloping crown. The dropouts have pronounced lawyer lips, and the inner side of the dropout openings is tapered to allow for an easier wheel change. The fork has a 27.0mm diameter crown race. Do y'all think that it's probably original?

Also, on the Ironman Expert, the top tube cable guides have been sprayed black to stop rust. I might try to blast just the rusty spots and touch it up with rattle can paint if I can find a good match. Has anyone found good matches for the Miami Vice colors?

Sorry for not having pictures. Maybe later.

Thanks


RobbieTunes 06-02-17 06:33 PM


Originally Posted by arizona cowboy (Post 19609244)
Does anyone know the weight of each Ironman model by year, and the MSRP by year? - Those two pieces of data seem to be elusive on the Internet.

Hard to tell, they ride "lighter," but if someone asked me, I'd say 21-22 lbs, "give or take" and let them eyeball my bike and wonder why I seem so tall, even at 5'6"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.