Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tires: Which one to pick of these two?

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tires: Which one to pick of these two?

Old 12-05-15, 11:25 AM
  #1  
Machine Age
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tires: Which one to pick of these two?

Thanks for any input you can offer to help make this choice:

I've narrowed it down to two choices to replace Pasela TG 700x32 and could use some comparative input on ride quality. Not worried at this point about differences in speed / rolling resistance, flat protection, weight, lifespan, looks or (all else being equal) cost. It's all about ride quality on asphalt over distances 10 - 100 miles on 1977 Trek 710, inflated roughly to the 15% tire drop number.

The candidates are:

Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x32
Compass Stampede Pass (700x32) Extra Light

I think the Paselas are actually pretty good on ride quality. No doubt both of these will be better but HOW MUCH better and is either one very much better than the other? Cost isn't primary but if the Voyager and Stampede are pretty close, I'll get the Voyager for its reflective stripe and lower cost (approx 54 vs 80 per tire with shipping).

Maybe it helps to quantify the question. If we call the Pasela TG ride quality a 1.00 as the baseline, a tire that rides 25% better would be a 1.25 and twice as good a 2.00 and so on.

Is this post long and obsessive enough yet? No? You're my kind of people!

Here's the over / under:
If Voyager & Compass are both <1.50, stick with Pasela.
If Voyager & Compass are both 1.50 - 2.00, get Voyager
If Voyager is <1.75 and Compass is >2.00, then get Compass

All this and NOT ONE PICTURE. It's almost abusive.
Machine Age is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 12:48 PM
  #2  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,971
Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
I have all three in current use though probably far more miles on the 32mm Paselas TGs than the others because I've used them for commuting on several different bikes for many years now. I've put a lot of miles on the Vittoria Hyper Rando 32mm on my Rivendell and find them to be very good tires: I've never flatted, they roll smoothly, and are reasonably supple. The Compass 32mm I bought last year and hoped they would be comparable to my favorite 32mm tire: Grand Bois Cypres. I'm not sure yet if that's true, as I don't have a lot of miles on them, and I was actually thinking of switching them over to the Rivendell to compare to the Vittoria but haven't gotten around to that yet. Bottom line is that I haven't done the semi-controlled experiment to try these three tires on the same bike over the same distance and terrain, so comparisons are somewhat WAGs.
nlerner is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 01:14 PM
  #3  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 13,979

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Machine Age View Post
Thanks for any input you can offer to help make this choice:

I've narrowed it down to two choices to replace Pasela TG 700x32 and could use some comparative input on ride quality. Not worried at this point about differences in speed / rolling resistance, flat protection, weight, lifespan, looks or (all else being equal) cost. It's all about ride quality on asphalt over distances 10 - 100 miles on 1977 Trek 710, inflated roughly to the 15% tire drop number.

The candidates are:

Vittoria Voyager Hyper 700x32
Compass Stampede Pass (700x32) Extra Light

I think the Paselas are actually pretty good on ride quality. No doubt both of these will be better but HOW MUCH better and is either one very much better than the other? Cost isn't primary but if the Voyager and Stampede are pretty close, I'll get the Voyager for its reflective stripe and lower cost (approx 54 vs 80 per tire with shipping).

Maybe it helps to quantify the question. If we call the Pasela TG ride quality a 1.00 as the baseline, a tire that rides 25% better would be a 1.25 and twice as good a 2.00 and so on.

Is this post long and obsessive enough yet? No? You're my kind of people!

Here's the over / under:
If Voyager & Compass are both <1.50, stick with Pasela.
If Voyager & Compass are both 1.50 - 2.00, get Voyager
If Voyager is <1.75 and Compass is >2.00, then get Compass

All this and NOT ONE PICTURE. It's almost abusive.
Yes! My brain hurts!!

Actually, pretty darn good systems engineering!
Road Fan is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 05:21 PM
  #4  
Machine Age
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by nlerner View Post
I have all three in current use though probably far more miles on the 32mm Paselas TGs than the others because I've used them for commuting on several different bikes for many years now. I've put a lot of miles on the Vittoria Hyper Rando 32mm on my Rivendell and find them to be very good tires: I've never flatted, they roll smoothly, and are reasonably supple. The Compass 32mm I bought last year and hoped they would be comparable to my favorite 32mm tire: Grand Bois Cypres. I'm not sure yet if that's true, as I don't have a lot of miles on them, and I was actually thinking of switching them over to the Rivendell to compare to the Vittoria but haven't gotten around to that yet. Bottom line is that I haven't done the semi-controlled experiment to try these three tires on the same bike over the same distance and terrain, so comparisons are somewhat WAGs.
Thanks for the thoughts...it's a little confusing because the Rando / Voyager tires were the same but then became different and the new(ish) Voyager Hyper are apparently a good deal more supple from what people have said here and elsewhere.
Machine Age is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 05:31 PM
  #5  
Machine Age
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me try to ask the basic question in a simpler way (ie, de-nerd it):

Does anyone think the ride quality / suppleness of the Stampede Pass Extra Light is a lot better than the Voyager Hyper?
Machine Age is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 06:06 PM
  #6  
AZORCH
Senior Member
 
AZORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Liberty, Missouri
Posts: 3,059

Bikes: 1946 Hobbs of Barbican | 1966 Paramount P-13 | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1980s Freschi Supreme Super Cromo | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2017 Jeff Lyon L'Avecaise

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Machine Age View Post
Let me try to ask the basic question in a simpler way (ie, de-nerd it):

Does anyone think the ride quality / suppleness of the Stampede Pass Extra Light is a lot better than the Voyager Hyper?
Yes. In my opinion, definitely.

I've also compared Pasela TG and Schwalbe Marathons (28s) on the same bike and wheels. Hands down, the winner for me are the Compass tires. For the sake of science, I ride with a (generally) loaded front bag, fenders, lights, dyno-hub; I weigh around 190; I'm not especially fast but I put in a lot of miles over the course of a year. The roads in nearly every directions from home are crap. All that taken into consideration, I've been surprised at what a difference the Compass tires make - especially given that I'm a born skeptic. YMMV.
AZORCH is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.