Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Asian Serial Number Guide (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html)

DYREWILLOW 11-16-20 08:26 PM

Hi everyone! New here and wanted to ask what if the serial number on a frame doesn't match the current format? Would anyone have knowledge on this to help identify the frame I have.

The serial number is WAK22140T (located underside of the crank).

Other clues:
  1. "Made in Japan" sticker on seat tube;
  2. "SunTour" and "SUPERBE" on rear derailleurs.

*Too new a member to post pictures right now but happy to provide more information if I'm directed where to get it. Thanks for your help in advanced!!

T-Mar 11-17-20 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by DYREWILLOW (Post 21793803)
Hi everyone! New here and wanted to ask what if the serial number on a frame doesn't match the current format? Would anyone have knowledge on this to help identify the frame I have.


The serial number is WAK22140T (located underside of the crank).


Other clues:
  1. "Made in Japan" sticker on seat tube;
  2. "SunTour" and "SUPERBE" on rear derailleurs.


*Too new a member to post pictures right now but happy to provide more information if I'm directed where to get it. Thanks for your help in advanced!!


The WAK-prefix indicates a bicycle imported in Denmark by Age Kroll, while the T-suffix, in conjunction with Superbe, would indicate 1980. Age Kroll was the Danish importer for Centurion, so that should be the brand. Assuming the Superbe is OEM, my leading candidate would be a Centurion Professional. Photographs?

DYREWILLOW 11-17-20 07:44 AM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21794143)
The WAK-prefix indicates a bicycle imported in Denmark by Age Kroll, while the T-suffix, in conjunction with Superbe, would indicate 1980. Age Kroll was the Danish importer for Centurion, so that should be the brand. Assuming the Superbe is OEM, my leading candidate would be a Centurion Professional. Photographs?

Hi T-Mar! Thank you so much for replying and the education. How did you determine that information from the prefix and suffix? Also what does OEM mean? Iíll need another 8 more posts before I can share pictures being a new member. But I definitely will try to get there

DYREWILLOW 11-17-20 08:15 AM

Again thanks so much Mr T-Mar! Iíve read a few of your articles and really amazing youíre able to compile that wealth of knowledge.

I think my question can be worded better. As in what indicators in the 4 alphas (and or numbers) helped you determine the make and model?

DYREWILLOW 11-19-20 06:26 AM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21794143)
The WAK-prefix indicates a bicycle imported in Denmark by Age Kroll, while the T-suffix, in conjunction with Superbe, would indicate 1980. Age Kroll was the Danish importer for Centurion, so that should be the brand. Assuming the Superbe is OEM, my leading candidate would be a Centurion Professional. Photographs?

Hi T-Mar, managed to get past 10 posts, attaching some photos! Do the photos help support your leading candidate?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f8489a65d.jpeg
Crank
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f3d3f79ff.jpeg
Head tube
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...277e30af5.jpeg
Head tube 2
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...552e03f99e.png
Full
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dc6c59ecf.jpeg
Seat stay
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e539deae6.jpeg
Seat post
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...16c8fb830f.png
Serial number
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c7bcbd9b4.jpeg
Rear derailleur
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...cc9405bb0.jpeg
Rear derailleur 2

T-Mar 11-20-20 10:52 PM


Originally Posted by DYREWILLOW (Post 21796872)
Hi T-Mar, managed to get past 10 posts, attaching some photos! Do the photos help support your leading candidate?

The frame features definitely fit the 1980 era but my impression of the frame workmanship is not so favourable. The tangs on the rear brake would normally be indicative of a high end model, the chrome stay caps are a nice touch and the tubeset looks lightweight. However, the stay end treatments and BB shell are not what I would expect on a higher end model. In fact I'd say the stay end treatments are disappointing even for mid-range, though I doubt it's lower than that.

DYREWILLOW 11-21-20 01:19 AM

Hi T-Mar, your assessment is definitely spot on! Tube set is very very light. To the untrained eye I see what you mean about the tangs and workman ship.

Thank you so much for helping me identify it! The knowledge youíve been able to compile on Centurion serial numbers is fully appreciated!!

frozenscissor 11-28-20 05:20 PM

Can anyone guess which manufactures use ďCSĒ as the first 2 letters serial number?

Kat12 12-12-20 11:37 PM

According to the OP, my Maruishi serial number should start with a letter (although I see this is somewhat uncertain)... but it is all numbers. It is an early-80s bike, based on what the person I bought it from told me. Any ideas?

(I've found two other references on the forum thus far to Maruishi bikes with a 6-number serial instead of two-letter-five-number, but not much info. One of those posts has a reply saying it should have letters but no reply after that from the person who posted the number; the other has the serial mentioned in the OP but no one comments on it.)

T-Mar 12-13-20 02:52 PM


Originally Posted by Kat12 (Post 21830312)
According to the OP, my Maruishi serial number should start with a letter (although I see this is somewhat uncertain)... but it is all numbers. It is an early-80s bike, based on what the person I bought it from told me. Any ideas?

(I've found two other references on the forum thus far to Maruishi bikes with a 6-number serial instead of two-letter-five-number, but not much info. One of those posts has a reply saying it should have letters but no reply after that from the person who posted the number; the other has the serial mentioned in the OP but no one comments on it.)

1980s Marushi built frames typically have a serial number with a prefix consisting of two alpha characters. There's always a possibility that it was contract manufactured by somebody else, especially if it is an entry level model. A good set of photographs may help.

Kat12 12-13-20 09:06 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21830973)
1980s Marushi built frames typically have a serial number with a prefix consisting of two alpha characters. There's always a possibility that it was contract manufactured by somebody else, especially if it is an entry level model. A good set of photographs may help.

There's a pic or two in my album.

It's a women's-frame Eagle Ace... I can't find much or anything about that model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was lower-level.

T-Mar 12-14-20 06:18 AM


Originally Posted by Kat12 (Post 21831433)
There's a pic or two in my album.


It's a women's-frame Eagle Ace... I can't find much or anything about that model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was lower-level.


Its entry level, near or at the bottom of the line, based on the stamped dropouts, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, nutted hubs and the several components. It's also appears to be no earlier than 1980s based on the aero crankarms and is probably early 1980s but the non-drive side photos complicate narrowing down the date range.


I don't believe this to be an actual Maruishi but a Maruishi owned Eagle Ace brand. Even on the ladies' models, the Maruishi brand name was placed on the down tube, whereas this one has Eagle Ace in that location. This is further supported by the large Eagle and 'E' on the head badge, which I haven't seen on any actual Maruishi brand bicycles.


There is a label at the bottom of the seat tube, which may indicate the country of origin. If it's other than Japan, that would confirm a contract manufactured bicycle.

Kat12 12-15-20 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21831745)
Its entry level, near or at the bottom of the line, based on the stamped dropouts, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, nutted hubs and the several components. It's also appears to be no earlier than 1980s based on the aero crankarms and is probably early 1980s but the non-drive side photos complicate narrowing down the date range.


I don't believe this to be an actual Maruishi but a Maruishi owned Eagle Ace brand. Even on the ladies' models, the Maruishi brand name was placed on the down tube, whereas this one has Eagle Ace in that location. This is further supported by the large Eagle and 'E' on the head badge, which I haven't seen on any actual Maruishi brand bicycles.


There is a label at the bottom of the seat tube, which may indicate the country of origin. If it's other than Japan, that would confirm a contract manufactured bicycle.

I know it's early 80s for sure, because the guy I bought it from bought it new in the early 80s (it was his daughter's bike). And yes, it does say made in Japan (the sticker is right next to the serial number).

I had wondered about the logo as well, considering that everything I read about Maruishi talks about kangaroos and this has nary a marsupial anywhere. (That is the only place it says "Maruishi," as well.) Unfortunately, Google nets absolutely nothing, so I'm unlikely to ever know much.

eom 12-17-20 05:54 PM

It's is a Ross but no model name on the bike.
Serial # RKG6F52162. Has a made in Taiwan sticker.
Shimano date codes are KB,KC,KD. BB spindle is 86C.
Brake Levers Shimano BR-AT50
Shifters Shimano SL-MT30
Seatpost 26.6 Chrome pin style
Crank Set Sugino VP 170 mm 48-38-28
Pedals VP-747
Front Derailleur Shimano FD-Z204
Rear Derailleur Shimano RD-L522
Freewheel Shimano MF-Z012 14-17-21-26-32

TIA


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...003809165.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1b44e9f0c.jpeg

T-Mar 12-18-20 06:48 AM


Originally Posted by eom (Post 21837698)
It's is a Ross but no model name on the bike...

1986 Ross Mt. St. Helens

eom 12-18-20 09:22 AM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21838198)
1986 Ross Mt. St. Helens

Any idea of who the builder was?

Thanks

T-Mar 12-18-20 01:03 PM


Originally Posted by eom (Post 21838364)
Any idea of who the builder was?


Thanks


Umm, yes and no. The Taiwanese Ross bicycles are an interesting story. According to an article in a industry trade magazine, Ross didn't have the bicycles contract manufactured in the traditional manner. Rather, according to article, they leased a Taiwanese factory. Unfortunately, it doesn't mention the factory by name and to what extent Ross personnel were involved at the factory. However, Ross set up a new entity, Ross Imports Division, which included the leased factory operations, so technically they were manufactured by Ross. It would also explain why the serial number format appears to be Ross specific with the 'R' prefix.

LibertyFLS 12-27-20 06:09 PM

Unable to figure this out so need some help. SR Semi Pro I was told 1982 by the seller... MOD20122


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...363ad5c92.jpeg

drin 12-28-20 07:28 AM

Hi, can you help me id this frame? SN: SFL002715. There is a weird character before the SN. Looks like a small letter i or L.

Pic: bikeforums.net/g/picture/20132556

T-Mar 01-10-21 09:00 AM


Originally Posted by LibertyFLS (Post 21850938)
Unable to figure this out so need some help. SR Semi Pro I was told 1982 by the seller... MOD20122


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...363ad5c92.jpeg

The 2nd character is almost certainly the number "zero", as opposed to the letter "oh". That would make it a 1980 model. The format is consistent is Miki, a known contractor for SR brand bicycles.

T-Mar 01-10-21 09:09 AM


Originally Posted by drin (Post 21851509)
Hi, can you help me id this frame? SN: SFL002715. There is a weird character before the SN. Looks like a small letter i or L.

Pic: bikeforums.net/g/picture/20132556

Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I don't recognize the serial number format. It appears to be an aluminum, TIG welded frame but that's about all I can say from the single picture provided. If you can provide pictures of the overall bicycle along with some picture of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes), we may at least be able to narrow down the age, even if we can't identify the manufacturer or brand.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3cffabf490.jpg

LibertyFLS 01-10-21 08:55 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21871097)
The 2nd character is almost certainly the number "zero", as opposed to the letter "oh". That would make it a 1980 model. The format is consistent is Miki, a known contractor for SR brand bicycles.


thank you T-Mar! There is another one in the same color locally thatís on OfferUp and says itís an 82 but the frame has a shorter wheelbase and adjuster screws on the rear dropouts. Itís not nearly as clean with quite a bit of patina, but has the complete arabesque group and I have thought about getting it and selling this one. Although this one looks like a 1 year old bike, not flawless but really nice.

Fujifool 01-14-21 10:50 PM


Originally Posted by oddjob2 (Post 18416147)
Let me be first to welcome you back T-Mar. You have been missed by everyone in C&V.

Happy Holidays too!

PS: If Star Wars can make a huge return, why not T-Mar, all in the same month!


drin 01-15-21 03:36 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21871112)
Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I don't recognize the serial number format. It appears to be an aluminum, TIG welded frame but that's about all I can say from the single picture provided. If you can provide pictures of the overall bicycle along with some picture of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes), we may at least be able to narrow down the age, even if we can't identify the manufacturer or brand.

T-Mar turned out to be a 2000 Scott USA

SurferRosa 01-17-21 12:20 PM

^ I knew that guy wasn't human!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.