Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Asian Serial Number Guide (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html)

T-Mar 02-28-18 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by dnkjones (Post 20196678)
I will offer a data point...we bought our Nishiki Cascade MTB in 1990 and the S/N is W89103641. Would I be correct to interpret that our bike was built by Kawamura and the S/N translates W US market 89 year built 103641 sequence number?

While I don't know the name of the source,it would appear to be a Taiawanese source, likely October 1989 and therefore a 1990 model. Is there a country of origin decal? Can you post or link to pics?

dnkjones 02-28-18 07:56 PM

I will post a photo when I figure out how to do it, but meanwhile I looked at some photos of the Nishiki and indeed it has a black “Made In Taiwan” sticker at the top of the down tube.

dnkjones 03-01-18 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20197367)
While I don't know the name of the source,it would appear to be a Taiawanese source, likely October 1989 and therefore a 1990 model. Is there a country of origin decal? Can you post or link to pics?

Here are a couple of photos of the 1990 Nishiki Cascade, bought new from a bike shop in Tahoe-Donner, California in the Spring of 1990. The only things that have been changed are the tires and shift cables. The black stripe near the steering head says "Made in Taiwan."

T-Mar 03-01-18 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by dnkjones (Post 20199176)
Here are a couple of photos of the 1990 Nishiki Cascade, bought new from a bike shop in Tahoe-Donner, California in the Spring of 1990. The only things that have been changed are the tires and shift cables. The black stripe near the steering head says "Made in Taiwan."

Yes, it's definitely a 1990 model. The Nishiki logo with the Cunningham design reference was introduced for the 1989 model year, but that year's Cascade used thumb shifters. Rapidfire shifters, as used on your bicycle, were introduced for the 1990 model year and the Cascade was upgraded (sic) with elevated chain stays for the 1991 model year.

dnkjones 03-02-18 08:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20197358)
I don't think that I currently have any Incline in the database but the ones I've seen had the 1988-1989 decal scheme (i.e small triangle before the Bianch name). That is a Hodaka serial number format and they were a known source during this period.

I am finally able to post photos of the Bianchi Incline for reference. I bought it new in Fall of 1989 from AnyMountain in San Jose, CA and the sales slip gives the serial number as H4A50763. The actual serial number on the bottom of the BB is covered by a plastic cable guide. So one is left with A) the sales clerk mistook a "9" for a "4" or B) Hodaka sold Bianchi a 5 year old frame to build into my bike! Your opinion will greatly interest me!

T-Mar 03-02-18 09:41 AM


Originally Posted by dnkjones (Post 20200419)
I am finally able to post photos of the Bianchi Incline for reference. I bought it new in Fall of 1989 from AnyMountain in San Jose, CA and the sales slip gives the serial number as H4A50763. The actual serial number on the bottom of the BB is covered by a plastic cable guide. So one is left with A) the sales clerk mistook a "9" for a "4" or B) Hodaka sold Bianchi a 5 year old frame to build into my bike! Your opinion will greatly interest me!

The Bianchi logo decals are definitely 1988-1989 and tubing decal are the style used on the Asian manufactured models. The unicrown fork and geometry are era correct for 1988-1989 and definitely not 1984! Either the LBS misread the serial number or a factory worker grabbed the wrong stamp. I can't see the derailleurs and crankset well, but they appear to be 1989 Shimano Mountain LX.

9volt 03-28-18 04:17 PM

Can you post pics of the Fuji?

3speedslow 05-12-18 04:48 PM

Data point: GT Force road bike SN SK6A54003

​​​​​​​date codes read S (1994) on shimano RSX group fork has date 1995
​​​​

AliH 05-23-18 02:21 AM

I picked up a Bridgestone Eurasia Diagonales EAG D2 (I think!) today in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It has the Serial No. E210414 which from what I can work out from your data T-Mar should mean that it is from May 1982 - is that right?

An interesting point is that a previous owner has written his address on the frame - with Google street view, I can look at his house!
I hope it wasn't knicked (stolen)!

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6a30259e1b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...30dd765b3d.jpg

T-Mar 05-23-18 05:05 AM

Alih, based on the frame features, in conjunction with the serial number, it does appear to be a 1982 model.

AliH 05-23-18 06:30 AM

Yeah, I think it is from 1982. The only thing that doesn't add up is that in the Eurasia catalogue the frame has braze ons for the shifters, mine has a Suntour clamp.

The catalogs of Japanese vintage bicycle

AliH 05-23-18 08:58 AM

Oops - my mistake. The '82 catalogue shows the suntour clamp, I must have seen the braze ons in a different year.

It all came apart like a dream. I just need to try and find the spare parts here in Cambodia. Mud guards (fenders) and a front rack should be easy enough to find but drop bars and brake levers that are age appropriate will be a challenge.

Any suggestions what diameter bars would fit in the Nitto Technomic stem? I don't have any calipers to measure it.

T-Mar 05-23-18 10:15 AM

The Nitto Technomic was available in both 25.4mm and 26.0mm clamp diameters, so you're going to have to measure it.

2cam16 05-23-18 04:26 PM

T-Mar,
Would you mind figuring out this Giant Sedona I just picked up? It's Taiwanese made but no idea what year it's from.
Thanks
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/972/2...87dc0d35_b.jpg
IMG_3940 by 2cam16, on Flickr

T-Mar 05-24-18 07:35 AM

2cam6, I have seen no evidence of Giant using that format prior to 1987, so I'm assuming it is weeks 31-32 of 1995. That is in the grey area where it could be either a 1995 or 1996 model. I do have a listing for a 1995 Sedona with Shimano STX. So, if your bicycle is equipped with Shimano STX, that would confirm the 1995 manufacturing date, as STX was only produced for the 1994-1999 model years. Also, Giant didn't enter the American market with self-branded models until the very late 1980s, so the probability of a 1985 would be very small.

himespau 05-24-18 07:51 AM

Wow, this is impressive, and useful to have it all in one place as opposed to a bunch of different, individual lists.

2cam16 05-24-18 04:20 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20357416)
2cam6, I have seen no evidence of Giant using that format prior to 1987, so I'm assuming it is weeks 31-32 of 1995. That is in the grey area where it could be either a 1995 or 1996 model. I do have a listing for a 1995 Sedona with Shimano STX. So, if your bicycle is equipped with Shimano STX, that would confirm the 1995 manufacturing date, as STX was only produced for the 1994-1999 model years. Also, Giant didn't enter the American market with self-branded models until the very late 1980s, so the probability of a 1985 would be very small.

Yeah it does have an STX group.
​​​​​​​Thanks once again,TMar!

laeciomaciel 05-25-18 07:39 AM

Number
 
I have an: 76L94508 or 6L94508

I do not know if it's a risk at the beginning or the number 7

any idea of the bike brand?

T-Mar 05-25-18 10:54 AM

^ I posted a response in your original thread.

ryansu 05-27-18 01:01 PM

Curious about the serial # on my Nishiki Cresta GT below, based on your excellent guide @T-Mar it appears a Made for the USA market frame created in 1986, makes sense as it is for sale in the 87 catalog, but what do the 5 numbers, 13 305 mean? If anything

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/893/4...576d7e9d_k.jpg
Gt serial # by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

It was made by Kawamura in Japan based on the decals btw

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...d1dce1a3_k.jpg
IMG_2823 by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

T-Mar 05-28-18 04:11 PM

Ryansu, see the last item before the start of list of brands, in post #1 .

seypat 06-07-18 10:29 AM

I forgot to enter the 84 Lotus Legend Compe I acquired last year.
1984 according to the Lotus site. Serial # is DH19408. Has a made in Japan sticker, but no Made By Tsunoda sticker. It also has a International Bicycle Center sticker as well.

Random Tandem 06-10-18 11:09 PM

Just wanted to post to note an alternative serial number scheme for Kuwahara that is used for their BMX bikes, but what surprised me is that it seems to be what was used on my 1983 road tandem:

QyMxxxx; where Q is the place of manufacture: T=Tange, K=Kuwahara, KG=Koizumi, G=Giant, etc.

More details at kuwahara(dash)bmx(dot)com

Thanks for providing this resource, I have found it useful to confirm information on more than a dozen bikes.

-Will

Sanz 07-10-18 07:06 AM

Can u help identification sn tmar
this is raleigh or schwin??
serial number SR9206336

casanewt 07-17-18 08:13 PM

1989? Saintropez (or Saint Tropez) La Alsace

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...47f8724619.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...512075c7da.jpg

dmarch 07-29-18 10:33 PM

Help needed with Bianchi ID
 
Hi,
I have a bianchi made in Japan with the SN of BS583673 which is at the bottom of the seat tube near the BB and a B stamped on the bottom of the BB. This is for a Bianchi as it is stamped in the drop outs. The for has Ishiwata 4-E. Been searching high and low to confirm what model the bike is and the year which I am guessing is 85 from the SN but not sure. Also think it might be a Bianchi sport ss. Any help would be great. And thanks for all the info of the many people who have posted that have brought me this far. No pics because there are no decals and is stripped. Original colour was light metallic blue.
Thanks
David

T-Mar 07-30-18 05:09 AM


Originally Posted by dmarch (Post 20477096)
Hi,
I have a bianchi made in Japan with the SN of BS583673 which is at the bottom of the seat tube near the BB and a B stamped on the bottom of the BB. This is for a Bianchi as it is stamped in the drop outs. The for has Ishiwata 4-E. Been searching high and low to confirm what model the bike is and the year which I am guessing is 85 from the SN but not sure. Also think it might be a Bianchi sport ss. Any help would be great. And thanks for all the info of the many people who have posted that have brought me this far. No pics because there are no decals and is stripped. Original colour was light metallic blue.
Thanks
David

Welcome to the forums. If you go to post #1 , it defines the formats for the Asian Bianchi serial numbers and how to de-code. You will find that your Bianchi frame was made in Japan during February 1985, making it a 1985 model. In order to determine the model, we'll need more to go on than the colour, as several of the Asian manufactured models were offered in blue for 1985. What the barns and models of the major component,such as the derailleurs, crankset and brakes ?

dmarch 07-30-18 10:46 PM

components for 85 Bianchi
 
Hi,
Thanks T-Mar. the original parts that I know are from the bike are Shimano BL-Z304 brake levers, Sugino VP crankset, and Dia Compe 500 caliper brakes, the shifters might be suntour( just not sure if I got that off another bike). Also as I said the frame was light blue but the forks where Chrome if that helps at all. Thanks
David

T-Mar 07-31-18 08:22 AM

David, I would think that the crankset is most likely to be OEM but the 1985 spec page does not list any models with Sugino VP cranks. The two models with Dia-Compe 500 brakes are the Classica and Sport. Both used the same frame, which was plain gauge CrMo main tubes with hi-tensile forks and presumably hi-tensile stays. Chromed forks are not mentioned or shown for either model. Based on the colour options I'm leaning towards the Sport in Ice Blue, as it is far more lighter than the Vivid Blue of the Classica, which I'd classify as medium to dark blue.

dmarch 07-31-18 05:52 PM

Bianchi ID
 
Thanks T-Mar
Just wondering if it couldn't be a BICI II since it is in Canada?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.