Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Asian Serial Number Guide (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1042901-asian-serial-number-guide.html)

himespau 05-24-18 07:51 AM

Wow, this is impressive, and useful to have it all in one place as opposed to a bunch of different, individual lists.

2cam16 05-24-18 04:20 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20357416)
2cam6, I have seen no evidence of Giant using that format prior to 1987, so I'm assuming it is weeks 31-32 of 1995. That is in the grey area where it could be either a 1995 or 1996 model. I do have a listing for a 1995 Sedona with Shimano STX. So, if your bicycle is equipped with Shimano STX, that would confirm the 1995 manufacturing date, as STX was only produced for the 1994-1999 model years. Also, Giant didn't enter the American market with self-branded models until the very late 1980s, so the probability of a 1985 would be very small.

Yeah it does have an STX group.
​​​​​​​Thanks once again,TMar!

laeciomaciel 05-25-18 07:39 AM

Number
 
I have an: 76L94508 or 6L94508

I do not know if it's a risk at the beginning or the number 7

any idea of the bike brand?

T-Mar 05-25-18 10:54 AM

^ I posted a response in your original thread.

ryansu 05-27-18 01:01 PM

Curious about the serial # on my Nishiki Cresta GT below, based on your excellent guide @T-Mar it appears a Made for the USA market frame created in 1986, makes sense as it is for sale in the 87 catalog, but what do the 5 numbers, 13 305 mean? If anything

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/893/4...576d7e9d_k.jpg
Gt serial # by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

It was made by Kawamura in Japan based on the decals btw

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4662/...d1dce1a3_k.jpg
IMG_2823 by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

T-Mar 05-28-18 04:11 PM

Ryansu, see the last item before the start of list of brands, in post #1 .

seypat 06-07-18 10:29 AM

I forgot to enter the 84 Lotus Legend Compe I acquired last year.
1984 according to the Lotus site. Serial # is DH19408. Has a made in Japan sticker, but no Made By Tsunoda sticker. It also has a International Bicycle Center sticker as well.

Random Tandem 06-10-18 11:09 PM

Just wanted to post to note an alternative serial number scheme for Kuwahara that is used for their BMX bikes, but what surprised me is that it seems to be what was used on my 1983 road tandem:

QyMxxxx; where Q is the place of manufacture: T=Tange, K=Kuwahara, KG=Koizumi, G=Giant, etc.

More details at kuwahara(dash)bmx(dot)com

Thanks for providing this resource, I have found it useful to confirm information on more than a dozen bikes.

-Will

Sanz 07-10-18 07:06 AM

Can u help identification sn tmar
this is raleigh or schwin??
serial number SR9206336

casanewt 07-17-18 08:13 PM

1989? Saintropez (or Saint Tropez) La Alsace

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...47f8724619.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...512075c7da.jpg

dmarch 07-29-18 10:33 PM

Help needed with Bianchi ID
 
Hi,
I have a bianchi made in Japan with the SN of BS583673 which is at the bottom of the seat tube near the BB and a B stamped on the bottom of the BB. This is for a Bianchi as it is stamped in the drop outs. The for has Ishiwata 4-E. Been searching high and low to confirm what model the bike is and the year which I am guessing is 85 from the SN but not sure. Also think it might be a Bianchi sport ss. Any help would be great. And thanks for all the info of the many people who have posted that have brought me this far. No pics because there are no decals and is stripped. Original colour was light metallic blue.
Thanks
David

T-Mar 07-30-18 05:09 AM


Originally Posted by dmarch (Post 20477096)
Hi,
I have a bianchi made in Japan with the SN of BS583673 which is at the bottom of the seat tube near the BB and a B stamped on the bottom of the BB. This is for a Bianchi as it is stamped in the drop outs. The for has Ishiwata 4-E. Been searching high and low to confirm what model the bike is and the year which I am guessing is 85 from the SN but not sure. Also think it might be a Bianchi sport ss. Any help would be great. And thanks for all the info of the many people who have posted that have brought me this far. No pics because there are no decals and is stripped. Original colour was light metallic blue.
Thanks
David

Welcome to the forums. If you go to post #1 , it defines the formats for the Asian Bianchi serial numbers and how to de-code. You will find that your Bianchi frame was made in Japan during February 1985, making it a 1985 model. In order to determine the model, we'll need more to go on than the colour, as several of the Asian manufactured models were offered in blue for 1985. What the barns and models of the major component,such as the derailleurs, crankset and brakes ?

dmarch 07-30-18 10:46 PM

components for 85 Bianchi
 
Hi,
Thanks T-Mar. the original parts that I know are from the bike are Shimano BL-Z304 brake levers, Sugino VP crankset, and Dia Compe 500 caliper brakes, the shifters might be suntour( just not sure if I got that off another bike). Also as I said the frame was light blue but the forks where Chrome if that helps at all. Thanks
David

T-Mar 07-31-18 08:22 AM

David, I would think that the crankset is most likely to be OEM but the 1985 spec page does not list any models with Sugino VP cranks. The two models with Dia-Compe 500 brakes are the Classica and Sport. Both used the same frame, which was plain gauge CrMo main tubes with hi-tensile forks and presumably hi-tensile stays. Chromed forks are not mentioned or shown for either model. Based on the colour options I'm leaning towards the Sport in Ice Blue, as it is far more lighter than the Vivid Blue of the Classica, which I'd classify as medium to dark blue.

dmarch 07-31-18 05:52 PM

Bianchi ID
 
Thanks T-Mar
Just wondering if it couldn't be a BICI II since it is in Canada?

Rooney 08-02-18 03:35 PM

Hi, I'm trying to figure out which year my Schwinn Voyageur SP was built. Most all the components were changed before I got it making it difficult to tell if it's an '84 or '85 (not that it matters terribly). There are numbers at the bottom of the headtube, but nowhere else that I can tell. Would that be the serial number? It's 5F03092. Going by the Schwinn section it seems like the Matsu****a/National format is closest which would make it June of 1985. Could I get verification on that?

I remember doing a little research initially and it seemed like most serial numbers were on the bottom bracket but I don't remember seeing the headtube mentioned for s/n location. Thanks!

T-Mar 08-03-18 07:52 AM


Originally Posted by dmarch (Post 20480923)
Thanks T-Mar
Just wondering if it couldn't be a BICI II since it is in Canada?

A Canadian market model would explain the chromed fork. I don't have any 1985 Canadian litetrature, so I'm not sure if they even had the Bici variants in 1985 or had tranistioned to the Strada/Sport models. What size of seat post does it take? Was it designed for 27"or 700C wheels?

T-Mar 08-03-18 08:10 AM


Originally Posted by Rooney (Post 20484813)
Hi, I'm trying to figure out which year my Schwinn Voyageur SP was built. Most all the components were changed before I got it making it difficult to tell if it's an '84 or '85 (not that it matters terribly). There are numbers at the bottom of the headtube, but nowhere else that I can tell. Would that be the serial number? It's 5F03092. Going by the Schwinn section it seems like the Matsu****a/National format is closest which would make it June of 1985. Could I get verification on that?

I remember doing a little research initially and it seemed like most serial numbers were on the bottom bracket but I don't remember seeing the headtube mentioned for s/n location. Thanks!

Yes, your Voyageur SP was manufactured by M-a-t-s-u-s-h-i-t-a in 1985. That is their S/N format and they are known to have used that location. However, we have seen cases with quite a discrepancy between the serial number and the assembly date, as stamped on the head badge. So, you may want to check the head badge, which uses format dddy (i.e. 1875 would have been assembled on day 187 of 1985).

dmarch 08-03-18 01:16 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20485830)
A Canadian market model would explain the chromed fork. I don't have any 1985 Canadian litetrature, so I'm not sure if they even had the Bici variants in 1985 or had tranistioned to the Strada/Sport models. What size of seat post does it take? Was it designed for 27"or 700C wheels?

It was designed for 27" wheels and the seat post is 26.4

T-Mar 08-04-18 05:41 PM


Originally Posted by dmarch (Post 20486537)
It was designed for 27" wheels and the seat post is 26.4

I have the 1984 specs for the Bici II and it used 700C wheels. It's unlikely that it was downgraded for 1985. However, the lower Bici I used 27" wheels in 1984 so it (or its 1985 equivalent) would be the prime candidate.

Rooney 08-06-18 01:54 AM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20485849)
Yes, your Voyageur SP was manufactured by M-a-t-s-u-s-h-i-t-a in 1985. That is their S/N format and they are known to have used that location. However, we have seen cases with quite a discrepancy between the serial number and the assembly date, as stamped on the head badge. So, you may want to check the head badge, which uses format dddy (i.e. 1875 would have been assembled on day 187 of 1985).

So here's the other fun part of this, my VSP's head badge has no discernible numbers stamped in. I know they were stamped there but I can't find any marks. The bike's clearly been ridden a bit and has the wear to show, even most of the red around the star has faded away. I'm skeptical this is an '85 model based solely on the fact that it seems the the '85's had Cinelli stems and bars while mine (which I think is an '84) has the SR Custom alloy stem and World Champion handlebars. It seems that everything else on the bike has been changed so that's all I really have to go off of. I guess this is where those discrepancies comes into play. Maybe that explains it.

Sanz 09-05-18 02:42 PM

Can help identification this serial number
L9169891 for top headtube
all frame lugged. Crank sugino and 700cc rims. Hole center frame shifter roadbike
this is bianchi, schwinn, or panasonic?
thanks

T-Mar 09-06-18 07:04 AM


Originally Posted by Sanz (Post 20548975)
Can help identification this serial number
L9169891 for top headtube
all frame lugged. Crank sugino and 700cc rims. Hole center frame shifter roadbike
this is bianchi, schwinn, or panasonic?
thanks

The top mounted boss for the shift levers was typical of mid-1980s. Taking this, the serial number location and format into consideration, the mentioned brands can be eliminated. Offhand ,I'm not aware of any manufacturer that is a perfect match. However, if it were not for the presence of an extra numeral in serial number, I'd have said it was an Asian market model, manufactured by Miyata, in very late 1983.

Sanz 09-06-18 07:56 AM


Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 20549987)
The top mounted boss for the shift levers was typical of mid-1980s. Taking this, the serial number location and format into consideration, the mentioned brands can be eliminated. Offhand ,I'm not aware of any manufacturer that is a perfect match. However, if it were not for the presence of an extra numeral in serial number, I'd have said it was an Asian market model, manufactured by Miyata, in very late 1983.

I forgot the last 2 digit numbers. ah why don't i think of the brand of miyata. I only remember the serial location under headtube with the L prefix that was scwinn. so almost thought it was scwinn, but it was not ... thank you very much t-mar you were very helpful

Cl904 09-27-18 12:17 PM



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.