Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your classic sports touring bicycle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your classic sports touring bicycle

Old 05-25-19, 06:35 AM
  #451  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I actually just remembered I have a bike out in the garage my wife brought home one day. That might be a perfect candidate. Cottered crank, 2x5 gearing, 27x1 1/4 tires Simplex stem shifters and front derailleur. Someone spray painted it black and I have no idea what brand it is. There has always been something else to work on so I never took a really close look at it.
88Tempo is offline  
Old 05-25-19, 08:46 AM
  #452  
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,935

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 678 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Tempo
I actually just remembered I have a bike out in the garage my wife brought home one day. That might be a perfect candidate. Cottered crank, 2x5 gearing, 27x1 1/4 tires Simplex stem shifters and front derailleur. Someone spray painted it black and I have no idea what brand it is. There has always been something else to work on so I never took a really close look at it.
You'll convert it to IGH?
Road Fan is offline  
Old 05-25-19, 11:33 AM
  #453  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
[MENTION=28632]Road Fan[/MENTION]

Yes, since it is literally flat black over just about everything including the front derailleur, I wouldn't do it to a good example of whatever it is.

I tried rubbing a spot with some paint thinner to see if I could make out color underneath, but no luck. It's not really a priority as of now. If that SA 3 speed shifter is still at the bottom of the co-op shifter box I might grab it the next time I'm in there. I didn't see a hub in their hub box, but I wasn't looking either.

Last edited by 88Tempo; 06-03-19 at 06:46 PM.
88Tempo is offline  
Old 05-25-19, 11:51 AM
  #454  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,345

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,643 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by mississippimud
Merziac here is how it all started in 2013 and I wasn’t even aware this was the DiNucci frameset I would be receiving from balindamood six years later ! I have captured a leopard
Tx, I saw that yesterday, what a great story. Can't believe you found one, let alone a touring. Did Mark ruminate on how many he made, couldn't have been many although he should have been able to capitalize on Merz going to Specialized.

So whats your connection to PDX builders? I know you were one of not many to chime in on the Merz's when I posted them, makes it seem like you were here at some point or at least more well informed than some.

I assume you saw this.
Merz MTB

Last edited by merziac; 05-25-19 at 11:56 AM.
merziac is online now  
Old 05-25-19, 12:35 PM
  #455  
Full Member
 
mississippimud's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 209
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Tx, I saw that yesterday, what a great story. Can't believe you found one, let alone a touring. Did Mark ruminate on how many he made, couldn't have been many although he should have been able to capitalize on Merz going to Specialized.

So whats your connection to PDX builders? I know you were one of not many to chime in on the Merz's when I posted them, makes it seem like you were here at some point or at least more well informed than some.

I assume you saw this.
Merz MTB
I have seen that marvelous merz mtb , bad to the bone ! DiNucci really didn’t go into to much detail thru our emails about numbers of the touring frames , the crazy thing is he didn’t stamp the bb on this one and from here say hardly on any of them back in the day, so that sorta tells me there was not a lot of them and not a lot of logging them into a book , micro fish or whatever was used. I did miss a Pink Merz road bike frame set a few years ago just by hours , literally I had pm’ed Jim and he said a guy had just sent him the money ...GRrrrr ! The good news is I know where it is and will be asking the buyer about “that pink merz” he bought to build up for his wife .
mississippimud is offline  
Old 05-25-19, 12:47 PM
  #456  
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 13,345

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Liked 6,643 Times in 3,809 Posts
Originally Posted by mississippimud
I have seen that marvelous merz mtb , bad to the bone ! DiNucci really didn’t go into to much detail thru our emails about numbers of the touring frames , the crazy thing is he didn’t stamp the bb on this one and from here say hardly on any of them back in the day, so that sorta tells me there was not a lot of them and not a lot of logging them into a book , micro fish or whatever was used. I did miss a Pink Merz road bike frame set a few years ago just by hours , literally I had pm’ed Jim and he said a guy had just sent him the money ...GRrrrr ! The good news is I know where it is and will be asking the buyer about “that pink merz” he bought to build up for his wife .
Tx, funny thing about the MTB, front tweaked, way too small, rides just fine, amazing. Never seen one in person or for sale so nothing else matters, I have one now.

Jim seems to be the go to for his bikes, you have to act fast and hope you can get one before he goes through it before the $$$ go way up. You saw the recent white one is for sale, but $2200? That being said, I will gladly go for one in my size if he offers one up, would be fantastic to have one he went through as well.

I think he hangs onto all the ones in his size, which is my size so....

I know he has quite a few.
merziac is online now  
Old 05-30-19, 12:29 AM
  #457  
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 5,803

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,734 Times in 1,150 Posts
Another bike I never gave a thought to regarding whether it is a sports tourer or not. I'm guessing that thought did not cross the builder's mind (Cino, or Luigi, or whoever)) when the frame was built c.1965. But with the eyelets and the wheelbase, I think it qualifies. Regardless, it's the best riding bike I have ever been on. Ever.

__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is online now  
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 05-30-19, 12:18 PM
  #458  
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, and High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 40,811

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Liked 2,744 Times in 1,592 Posts
[MENTION=375741]gesta[/MENTION], that's fantastic.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 05-30-19, 01:58 PM
  #459  
Senior Member
 
Brad L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southeast TX
Posts: 651

Bikes: Several

Liked 1,107 Times in 342 Posts
This is my 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple that I've had since new. I haven't ridden it in probably 20 years.
Brad L is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 06:20 PM
  #460  
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,935

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 678 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Tempo
[MENTION=28632]Road Fan[/MENTION]

Yes, since it is literally flat black over just about everything including the front derailleur I wouldn't do it to a good example of whatever it is.

I tried rubbing a spot with some paint thinner to see if I could make out color underneath, but no luck. It's not really a priority as of now. If that SA 3 speed shifter is still at the bottom of the co-op shifter box I might grab it the next time I'm in there. I didn't see a hub in their hub box, but I wasn't looking either.
If you have it painted professionally or at least a good imitation, the old paint will be stripped away using sandblasting. Bye Bye, black paint! Also any lead or bondo fillers that may have been applied at some point.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 06:51 PM
  #461  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 257
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
[MENTION=28632]Road Fan[/MENTION] I'm about 90+ percent sure it's a lower end French bike from the 70's. The Simplex FD matched up with about a 1975 or so. I haven't pulled the RD off yet. I measured a bunch of the tubing diameters also. And going off Sheldon Browns site the diameters match up with French tubing.

It is white under the black spray paint. I saw that when I pulled the FD.
88Tempo is offline  
Old 06-03-19, 07:09 PM
  #462  
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 16,880

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Liked 7,844 Times in 4,353 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
This is my 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple that I've had since new. I haven't ridden it in probably 20 years.
are those wooden bottle cages?
mstateglfr is online now  
Old 06-04-19, 01:19 AM
  #463  
Senior Member
 
Brad L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Southeast TX
Posts: 651

Bikes: Several

Liked 1,107 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
are those wooden bottle cages?
They're plastic cages - also by Specialized.
Brad L is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 06:41 AM
  #464  
Senior Member
 
Kilroy1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 2,264
Liked 1,872 Times in 620 Posts
My Frejus "Tour de France" of debatable vintage (nice frame with #s suggesting early '60s, but came to me with later components) is a definite candidate for this category, as the model often originally came equipped with fenders and has center-pull balilla brakes.

I just took it out for an 85 mile ride on Sunday and had a great time until the end, when I had to push through the last 15 miles with a headwind looking into the early afternoon sun... But the bike got me through alright!

-Gregory

Kilroy1988 is offline  
Old 06-04-19, 07:02 AM
  #465  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 20,705

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,858 Times in 2,227 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Another bike I never gave a thought to regarding whether it is a sports tourer or not. I'm guessing that thought did not cross the builder's mind (Cino, or Luigi, or whoever)) when the frame was built c.1965. But with the eyelets and the wheelbase, I think it qualifies. Regardless, it's the best riding bike I have ever been on. Ever.

This bike is hot. That's the beauty of old racing bikes (generally 70s or older). They were built with the right geometry and tire clearance to race or ride on gravel or even tour.
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-04-19, 08:06 AM
  #466  
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 5,803

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Liked 2,734 Times in 1,150 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This bike is hot. That's the beauty of old racing bikes (generally 70s or older). They were built with the right geometry and tire clearance to race or ride on gravel or even tour.
Thanks. I like it. A lot.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is online now  
Old 07-10-19, 10:07 PM
  #467  
(rhymes with spook)
 
thook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Posts: 2,788

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782


what is this front bag system you have going on here? i really like it!

Last edited by thook; 07-10-19 at 10:17 PM.
thook is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 02:31 AM
  #468  
Not lost wanderer.
 
bwilli88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lititz, Pa
Posts: 3,403

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Liked 1,067 Times in 566 Posts
That is an old school Cannondale front bag.
__________________
Cambodia bikes, Bridgestone SRAM 2 speed, 2012 Fuji Stratos...
bwilli88 is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 06:33 AM
  #469  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,540

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 725 Times in 408 Posts
Yes it is

Originally Posted by thook
what is this front bag system you have going on here? i really like it!
Yep, old school Cannondale, and I wish I could find something similar as it is falling apart after 40 years. It leaves room for hand position and is a nice size.



About 1982, East Harbor State Park, Pt. Clinton Oh

This pic is of last day of a circle Ohio ride when I was in my early 20s. Left from Toledo to visit a friend in southern Ohio. Home made saddlebags, and a tent and sleeping bag. 600 miles on the old style front wheel mileage clicker. State routes, no phone, slept in state parks, simpler times. Love that bag setup. 35mm SLR film camera and other stuff inside.
sd5782 is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 08:02 AM
  #470  
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,935

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 678 Times in 517 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Tempo
[MENTION=28632]Road Fan[/MENTION] I'm about 90+ percent sure it's a lower end French bike from the 70's. The Simplex FD matched up with about a 1975 or so. I haven't pulled the RD off yet. I measured a bunch of the tubing diameters also. And going off Sheldon Browns site the diameters match up with French tubing.

It is white under the black spray paint. I saw that when I pulled the FD.
Simplex derailleurs were regularly spec'd by Raleigh for lower-medium 10 speeds - the Grand Prix and the Super Courses. The Record had Huret, also French, but then regarded as lower quality.

Presence of a Simplex does not imply a French frame.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 10:43 AM
  #471  
(rhymes with spook)
 
thook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Posts: 2,788

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
That is an old school Cannondale front bag.
Originally Posted by sd5782
Yep, old school Cannondale, and I wish I could find something similar as it is falling apart after 40 years. It leaves room for hand position and is a nice size.



About 1982, East Harbor State Park, Pt. Clinton Oh

This pic is of last day of a circle Ohio ride when I was in my early 20s. Left from Toledo to visit a friend in southern Ohio. Home made saddlebags, and a tent and sleeping bag. 600 miles on the old style front wheel mileage clicker. State routes, no phone, slept in state parks, simpler times. Love that bag setup. 35mm SLR film camera and other stuff inside.
nostalgic! and, i agree...times were simpler, then

i have an cannondale seat bag that hangs from the loops (vs rails) from that era . needs some repair, though. i do like that old cannondale equipment. i'll have to keep my eyes open for something like yours!

thanks for the replies
thook is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 11:09 AM
  #472  
(rhymes with spook)
 
thook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winslow, AR
Posts: 2,788

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
for you sd5782?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CANNONDALE-...ty!72959!US!-1
thook is offline  
Old 07-11-19, 11:25 AM
  #473  
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,707
Liked 662 Times in 341 Posts
Don't think I ever posted my '73 Schwinn Sports Tourer here.

TenGrainBread is offline  
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 07-11-19, 04:13 PM
  #474  
Senior Member
 
Sedgemop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,129

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Liked 1,268 Times in 680 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Another bike I never gave a thought to regarding whether it is a sports tourer or not. I'm guessing that thought did not cross the builder's mind (Cino, or Luigi, or whoever)) when the frame was built c.1965. But with the eyelets and the wheelbase, I think it qualifies. Regardless, it's the best riding bike I have ever been on. Ever.

That is one beautiful bike. Quoting so more people can see this thing. Congrats.
Sedgemop is offline  
Likes For Sedgemop:
Old 07-11-19, 08:30 PM
  #475  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Toledo Ohio
Posts: 1,540

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Liked 725 Times in 408 Posts
Not quite

Originally Posted by thook
The vintage wire mount in the nice part of the older style as the bag is not in the way at all when your hands are on the center or bars. Thanks though
sd5782 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.