Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1975 Fuji Finest

Old 07-17-16, 09:08 PM
  #1  
Bryanjp2
Member
Thread Starter
 
Bryanjp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Finest, 1980 Fuji Royale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1975 Fuji Finest

Hi all,

I just picked up a 1975 Fuji finest that has some original parts and some updated. The wheels and tires are new, but brakes and derailleurs are original. I have a motobecane super mirage as well. I am wondering if it is worth going from dia compe brakes to Weinamann 610, or is it a toss up? Also, replacing older front derailleur with a Shimano 600 derailleur? Thanks for insight!
Bryanjp2 is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 08:04 AM
  #2  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,032

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The Finest is a "fine" bicycle .. I always lean with keeping components original as long as they work ok. If they don't, then I'd keep it within the replacement within the Suntour or Dia Compe brand. I used Suntour Superbe on my Finest.





Post some photos if you can!

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 08:16 AM
  #3  
oddjob2
Still learning
 
oddjob2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North of Canada, Adirondacks, NNJ
Posts: 11,571

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dia Compe brakes are fine.
oddjob2 is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 08:20 AM
  #4  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,043

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 432 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
Dia Compe brakes are fine.
+1. They're basically the same brake, but at this point I think Weinmann was in a greater hurry to reduce costs. Weinmann centerpull brakes did not improve over the years, and by 1975 I think the Dia-Compe ones may be better.
__________________
I put new leather on ruined saddles like Brooks, etc. You can reach me by private message.
rhm is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 08:47 AM
  #5  
greg3rd48 
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,708

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '74 Peugeot U08, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
The Finest is a "fine" bicycle .. I always lean with keeping components original as long as they work ok. If they don't, then I'd keep it within the replacement within the Suntour or Dia Compe brand. I used Suntour Superbe on my Finest.





Post some photos if you can!

Scott
That is too damn pretty!
greg3rd48 is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 10:21 AM
  #6  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,416

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Very nice!

Are you sure it isnt a '76? That was the first year of the extended fork reach. Here is my beater '76.....
[IMG][/IMG]
OldsCOOL is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 01:05 PM
  #7  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,675
Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 37 Times in 35 Posts
The Dia-Compe centre-pull were made under license from Weinmann in exchange for Dia-Compe granting Weinmann the license to manufacture their safety levers. The only difference is the pad material and cables, and I doubt they'll be OEM on anything that you pick up. In such a case, I'd sticking with OEM.

There's nothing wrong with the OEM SunTour SL front derailleur, unless you're averse to the high normal action.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 07-19-16, 01:45 PM
  #8  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: West Village, New York City
Posts: 36,982

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The Dia-Compe centre-pull were made under license from Weinmann in exchange for Dia-Compe granting Weinmann the license to manufacture their safety levers. The only difference is the pad material and cables, and I doubt they'll be OEM on anything that you pick up. In such a case, I'd sticking with OEM.

There's nothing wrong with the OEM SunTour SL front derailleur, unless you're averse to the high normal action.
There were other differences. Take a close look, and you'll see that the return springs in the calipers of the Weinmanns have two windings whereas there are three windings in the Dia Compes. Also, the Dia Compes seem to have more leverage, and I'm guessing is that the difference is in the lever, not the caliper.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 03:16 PM
  #9  
Bryanjp2
Member
Thread Starter
 
Bryanjp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Finest, 1980 Fuji Royale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. Here is a few pics of the bike I picked up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1 (2).JPG (37.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg
image2 (2).JPG (39.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg
image3 (2).JPG (32.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
image4 (1).JPG (36.9 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg
image5 (1).JPG (33.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
image6.JPG (41.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
image7.JPG (34.2 KB, 129 views)
Bryanjp2 is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 05:28 PM
  #10  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 4,533

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 L23 and L19, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Derailleurs and crankset are not stock on that bike.
thumpism is offline  
Old 07-20-16, 07:41 PM
  #11  
Bryanjp2
Member
Thread Starter
 
Bryanjp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Finest, 1980 Fuji Royale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Derailleurs and crankset are not stock on that bike.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Are they decent?
Bryanjp2 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 05:40 AM
  #12  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 4,533

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 L23 and L19, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryanjp2 View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. Are they decent?
Decent, but I'd rather have the brakes than the crank on my own bike. Chainring choices are extremely limited if you want to alter your gearing and it's been a long time since I've run a 40-52 up front.


Beautiful bike, that vintage Finest. I did not get one in the '70s and regretted it, and the ones I've found since are badly rusted or the wrong size. Enjoy it!

Last edited by thumpism; 07-21-16 at 05:49 AM.
thumpism is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 05:49 AM
  #13  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,675
Mentioned: 417 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
There were other differences. Take a close look, and you'll see that the return springs in the calipers of the Weinmanns have two windings whereas there are three windings in the Dia Compes. Also, the Dia Compes seem to have more leverage, and I'm guessing is that the difference is in the lever, not the caliper.
Thxs, I'm aware of that and other minor differences, such as Dia-Compe eliminating the guide between the arms on the calipers. What I probably should have stated was that there were no differences in the geometry of the design that affected the braking performance.

Back in the early 1970s, the LBS where I worked carried a brand that used Dia-Compe and we were puzzled by how mushy they were compared to our Weinmann equipped brands. After much head scratching we eventually traced the issue to the cables. The importer was saving a few pennies by specifying lighter gauge cables. In the course of the investigation we went through the exercise of measuring the Dia-Compe and Weinmann and did not find any differences, outside of very small ones that could be attributed to measurement error. Both the calipers and levers were dimensionally the same.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 07:51 AM
  #14  
Bryanjp2
Member
Thread Starter
 
Bryanjp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Finest, 1980 Fuji Royale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Decent, but I'd rather have the brakes than the crank on my own bike. Chainring choices are extremely limited if you want to alter your gearing and it's been a long time since I've run a 40-52 up front.


Beautiful bike, that vintage Finest. I did not get one in the '70s and regretted it, and the ones I've found since are badly rusted or the wrong size. Enjoy it!
Thanks, yeah when I saw her, I had to get her. What are my options in changing the gearing from a 40-52 to what? I am just getting into this. Is there a reason to change? There is a Fuji being sold by me for parts, and it has the original crankshaft where the crankarms have FUJI written on them in black.
Bryanjp2 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 09:09 AM
  #15  
Bryanjp2
Member
Thread Starter
 
Bryanjp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Finest, 1980 Fuji Royale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
The Finest is a "fine" bicycle .. I always lean with keeping components original as long as they work ok. If they don't, then I'd keep it within the replacement within the Suntour or Dia Compe brand. I used Suntour Superbe on my Finest.





Post some photos if you can!

Scott

Great bike, I aspire to make my bike look as good as yours!
Bryanjp2 is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 01:04 PM
  #16  
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.
 
thumpism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 4,533

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Bridgestone RB-T, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 L23 and L19, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryanjp2 View Post
Thanks, yeah when I saw her, I had to get her. What are my options in changing the gearing from a 40-52 to what? I am just getting into this. Is there a reason to change? There is a Fuji being sold by me for parts, and it has the original crankshaft where the crankarms have FUJI written on them in black.
Plenty of gearing discussions available elsewhere to soak up but basically if you want new gearing it is sometimes helpful to be able to change the front in addition to the rear. Your FUJI-stamped crankarms are likely some version of the Sugino Maxy line and most of them have two rings, both of which are removable and use the widely available 110mm bolt circle diameter (BCD). You can even add a third ring to the front but you are limited in that the smallest that will fit has 34 teeth. This limits how low you can gear it. My touring bike, for example, uses a 34T middle ring and even smaller on the inner.


You have plenty to do here so just use the existing crank for now if it is good, and you can work out the modifications later.
thumpism is offline  
Old 07-21-16, 01:16 PM
  #17  
Bryanjp2
Member
Thread Starter
 
Bryanjp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 40

Bikes: 1975 Fuji Finest, 1980 Fuji Royale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Plenty of gearing discussions available elsewhere to soak up but basically if you want new gearing it is sometimes helpful to be able to change the front in addition to the rear. Your FUJI-stamped crankarms are likely some version of the Sugino Maxy line and most of them have two rings, both of which are removable and use the widely available 110mm bolt circle diameter (BCD). You can even add a third ring to the front but you are limited in that the smallest that will fit has 34 teeth. This limits how low you can gear it. My touring bike, for example, uses a 34T middle ring and even smaller on the inner.


You have plenty to do here so just use the existing crank for now if it is good, and you can work out the modifications later.
Thanks for your input
Bryanjp2 is offline  
Old 07-22-16, 10:51 AM
  #18  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,032

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The paint and chrome look to be in really nice shape!!

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.