Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My trip to the Shimano Museum Today

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My trip to the Shimano Museum Today

Old 05-27-05, 08:09 AM
  #1  
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
Thread Starter
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Posts: 4,553

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My trip to the Shimano Museum Today

Hi I went to the Shimano Museum today in Osaka and took a few pics. You may be interested in a few of them, and sorry I haven't got around to naming them all yet.
Just go to my web below, click on "come and have a look at some pics...." and click on "Shimano Museum Osaka Sakai City". I appologise now for the picture on the first web page.
Steve.
giantcfr1 is offline  
Old 05-27-05, 09:03 AM
  #2  
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs
 
Ed Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
Posts: 2,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent, Thankyou Giantcfr1

Cheers,

Ed
__________________
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.
Ed Holland is offline  
Old 05-27-05, 09:08 AM
  #3  
lokerola
Senior Member
 
lokerola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 468

Bikes: Specialized Allez Comp Cro-Mo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool pics! Thanks.
__________________
Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now.




lokerola is offline  
Old 05-27-05, 09:21 AM
  #4  
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente
 
bigbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 10,832
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I appologise now for the picture on the first web page.
No need to apologize - I'm sure you worked very hard to get into that kind of shape.....

John D.
bigbossman is offline  
Old 05-27-05, 09:32 AM
  #5  
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I appologise now for the picture on the first web page.
I kept clicking it, but the link won't open... Gotta fix that.
__________________
nice lugs baby!
TheOtherGuy is offline  
Old 05-27-05, 06:43 PM
  #6  
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
Thread Starter
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Posts: 4,553

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your replys.
Sorry "TheOtherGuy", I thought very hard about linking the pic it to a "special" site, but decided best not.
See Ya,
Steve.
giantcfr1 is offline  
Old 06-24-05, 01:06 PM
  #7  
georoadie
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve, I'm george here in San Diego I had a Shimano bike built in '82, it's a direct copyright infringement to Shimanos AX Proto type bike which was a non working frame only used to display the AX components of the time ( used in posters at the time). All the graphics are paint, and wet sanded down flush. Basically, I made a bike Shimano never had. It was stored for 10 years ( I rode it once). Finally putting it up for sale in '90. Thinking two things could happen here, Shimano catches wind of it and 1 sues me, or loves it. I need to ask you a question reguarding the bike and where it sits in there museum.

george
georoadie is offline  
Old 06-25-05, 12:51 AM
  #8  
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
Thread Starter
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Posts: 4,553

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by georoadie
Steve, I'm george here in San Diego I had a Shimano bike built in '82, it's a direct copyright infringement to Shimanos AX Proto type bike which was a non working frame only used to display the AX components of the time ( used in posters at the time). All the graphics are paint, and wet sanded down flush. Basically, I made a bike Shimano never had. It was stored for 10 years ( I rode it once). Finally putting it up for sale in '90. Thinking two things could happen here, Shimano catches wind of it and 1 sues me, or loves it. I need to ask you a question reguarding the bike and where it sits in there museum.

george
George,
Glad to meet you. The museum is in Osaka. Unfortunatley I don't believe you can contact them directly at the museum via email. Do you want their postal address?
Does yours have the squashed aero tubing also?
Is this the bike in question?

Steve.
giantcfr1 is offline  
Old 06-25-05, 07:45 AM
  #9  
number6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the report.

Since you are in Japan & not too far from Nagoya, gotta see the two Toyota museums, one in Nagoya near the train station about technology, fantastic displays, weaving looms to cars including mfg. processes. The other is the Toyota Automobile museum, not far from Toyota City, if you can get in to see the restoration shops...amazing. They should have the Tucker finished by now.

Should also visit Toei, do not take any money though, you will want to order a bike.

be seeing you
number6 is offline  
Old 06-25-05, 11:22 PM
  #10  
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
Thread Starter
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Posts: 4,553

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by number6
Thanks for the report.

Since you are in Japan & not too far from Nagoya, gotta see the two Toyota museums, one in Nagoya near the train station about technology, fantastic displays, weaving looms to cars including mfg. processes. The other is the Toyota Automobile museum, not far from Toyota City, if you can get in to see the restoration shops...amazing. They should have the Tucker finished by now.

Should also visit Toei, do not take any money though, you will want to order a bike.

be seeing you
I will have to get to the Toyoto Places. Maybe when I visit the World Expo in Aichi. I believe the Expo site is next door. I have been to AMLUX and Mega Web in Tokyo, they are Toyoto displays also, but nothing like their other Museums. As for Toei, can you post a link to their web site please? I haven't heard of it. Are you in Japan?
Thanks Steve.
giantcfr1 is offline  
Old 06-25-05, 11:42 PM
  #11  
number6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Megaweb is pretty wild, especially the "Italian Village" shopping area adjacent.
I will have to find the Toei links, here is an owner's site:

https://members.aol.com/satorumas/mybike/mybike.html

No, not in Japan, just been there a number of times

A great Toei today will set one back about $4000.US

If I remember there are is a cool "retro" bike shop in Kyoto. There is also a guy in Tokyo who keeps a Masi Special in a cabinet to refer to for angles and inspiration. There is definite bikecult in Japan.

be seeing you
number6 is offline  
Old 06-26-05, 12:12 AM
  #12  
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha
Thread Starter
 
giantcfr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Gold Coast; Australia
Posts: 4,553

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by number6
Megaweb is pretty wild, especially the "Italian Village" shopping area adjacent.
I will have to find the Toei links, here is an owner's site:

https://members.aol.com/satorumas/mybike/mybike.html

No, not in Japan, just been there a number of times

A great Toei today will set one back about $4000.US

If I remember there are is a cool "retro" bike shop in Kyoto. There is also a guy in Tokyo who keeps a Masi Special in a cabinet to refer to for angles and inspiration. There is definite bikecult in Japan.

be seeing you
Thankyou for the link.
Yes there is a definite bike culture here. The retro shop isn't Aiba Cycles is it? He has lots of classic stuff in glass cabinets, and stocks classic frames and complete bikes. There is another guy here at Vigore Cycles who still makes new "classic" bikes. He is the owner of a three generation bike shop, trained by his Grandfather.
Also if you can, have a look at the bikes for sale here at Yahoo Japan Auctions. there are often very expensive Classic Bikes there:
https://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...ale=0jp&mode=0
Steve.
giantcfr1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.