Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Crescent (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/110092-crescent.html)

GronK 05-28-05 02:37 PM

Crescent
 
Hello vintage bike buffs! I picked up a Giant Cypress a couple of weeks ago and re-started commuting. Got the bug real good now, so I decided to dig out the old bike I bought at a flea market way back when. It's the Crescent Pepita (?), in all her decaled orange glory. It didn't show signs of much use (the seat is original and shows no wear at all), but I replaced the cables and bars (were way too narrow), put on cheap Kenda 27 x 1 1/4" tires and then stopped riding and lost interest :( . I intend to use it as an alternate commuter and weekend/errand runner. I have a few questions for you experts.

1. How strong is the frame? Is it up to carrying my 200+ (for now :) ) pounds around town without bend/breaking?

2. An LBS mech who tuned it up for me had reservations about pumping the Kendas up near their 90lb limits due to the wheels. It has Normandy hubs and Fiamme wheels. Is there any reason to stay conservative on the pressure? Is there another tire you would recommend?

3. Markings on the componentry included "Allvit" on the derailleurs, "AVA" on the bar mount, "tturet" on other parts. Are these adequate, or should I think about replacements?

4. I paid $10 for the bike. Was that too much? :D

Ron Fanning

Wildwood 05-28-05 02:58 PM

I don't know about your specific bike, but...

1. Frame should be plenty strong if not rusted. External rust is easy, minor surface rust isn't usually a long term issue, but clean it up. Another quick check is to pull the seatpost and look with a flashlight or push a white cloth down and pull it out.
2. If the rims can't take 90 lbs air pressure then they are not safe for a 200 lb rider. A visual inspection of the rims for cracks/rust is easy, then check spoke tension. I ride an early 80s Centurion with an original rim & spokes that's just fine.
3. No help.
4. Only you can judge the value of the purchase, but $10 for a rideable bike sounds pretty good.

Everest 05-28-05 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by GronK

3. Markings on the componentry included "Allvit" on the derailleurs, "AVA" on the bar mount, "tturet" on other parts. Are these adequate, or should I think about replacements?



Ron Fanning

Are you sure its not huret

-=(8)=- 05-28-05 05:07 PM


Originally Posted by GronK
1. How strong is the frame? Is it up to carrying my 200+ (for now :) ) pounds around town without bend/breaking?
Ron Fanning

I had a Crescent in the mid 70's. It is a Swedish bike that was supposed to be
an equal to mid level Peugeots, Motobecanes, etc if my memory serves me
correctly. It was a 'real' bike store bike, not Western Auto , Pep Boys or any
chain store type stuff. Just about all I can remember about mine and as a testament
to how well it might stand up to abuse, I used to do 1/8th mile long wheelies on it
and ride over jumps and stuff like that.....really abuse it. I wrecked the back wheel
and derailuer when the chain wrapped it around the frame. Then I got what I should have
had in the first place, a BMX bike. Anyway, the frame stayed perfectly straight after
some really serious abuse. As an intelligent and sane adult, I dont think you would ever
have a problem with it.

GronK 05-28-05 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by Everest
Are you sure its not huret

I think you're right. It's stylized, making the H look like two T's.

GronK 05-28-05 05:55 PM


Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=-
As an intelligent and sane adult, I dont think you would ever
have a problem with it.

Well, if you're going to resort to name calling! ;) I am a bit more sane than the BMXers I know so it should hold up just fine.

Ron Fanning

T-Mar 05-28-05 09:31 PM

I had always thought that only the top, Reynolds 531 model was named the Pepita. Your bicycle sounds pretty close to this, http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/crescent/5.jpg

GronK 05-28-05 09:55 PM


Originally Posted by T-Mar
I had always thought that only the top, Reynolds 531 model was named the Pepita. Your bicycle sounds pretty close to this, http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/crescent/5.jpg

Yep, that's the one. The only difference I can see is the wide alloy drops I put on it. Believe it or not it still looks nearly as good as the catalog pic.

Ron

USAZorro 05-28-05 10:59 PM

Gronk - nice pickup. $10.00 is a steal for that. My only concern is withe the AVA stem. If you ride gently, it isn't likely to be a problem. However, those are infamous for not standing up to high stress. A stem is something you definitely don't want to have fail on you if you hit a bump while flying down a hill.

GronK 05-29-05 07:09 AM


Originally Posted by USAZorro
A stem is something you definitely don't want to have fail on you if you hit a bump while flying down a hill.

Personally, I find the ability to steer to be highly overrated.

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up. I'm anything but a gonzo bike basher but will keep an eye on it and replace it when I find an appropriate part. Any suggestions?

bigbossman 05-29-05 12:01 PM


Originally Posted by GronK
Personally, I find the ability to steer to be highly overrated.

Seriously, thanks for the heads-up. I'm anything but a gonzo bike basher but will keep an eye on it and replace it when I find an appropriate part. Any suggestions?

Just about any old alloy stem will do. Piva, SR, you name it. Check the local bike co-op or LBS, I'll bet they have a few old school bits laying about that you can get for free or close to it.

As an example, check out this ebay auction (no affiliation to me!) for some bars and stems cheap:
http://tinyurl.com/8vn9h


John D.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.