Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know about Everest Frames?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does anyone know about Everest Frames?

Old 05-31-05, 04:40 PM
  #1  
cranker
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know about Everest Frames?

I have a nice old racing bike made by the Tsuchiya Mnfg. Co. in Japan. The bike has a crest of sorts on the head tube that reads "everest". Ive tried to find any info and all i found was that the Tsuchiya Mnfg. Co. started making "Everest Racer" after WWII. Im guessing the frame is newer, possibly from the late seventies. I also found that there is a company that makes frame lugs that goes by Everest. Do they have anything to do with one another? Any help is greatly appreciated
cranker is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 10:15 AM
  #2  
cranker
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some more images that might give clues.

cranker is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 10:38 AM
  #3  
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranker
Some more images that might give clues.
The only clue that pic gives, is that the builder/marketer wants the bike to have a Cinelliesque head badge; cool badge though! Let's see some detail pics of the whole bike...
__________________
nice lugs baby!
TheOtherGuy is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 12:19 PM
  #4  
cranker
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some more images as requested. let me know what you think.

pictures of bike by wanna-be Cinelli company...
cranker is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 12:32 PM
  #5  
s70rguy
presto, pronto, prego!
 
s70rguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hua Hin Thailand
Posts: 545

Bikes: Dave Lloyd custom, Brands SLX, Visser Vainqueur, XACD ti custom, Hewitt Scandium, Presto 1972, and more ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a very nice bike. I really like the way the chainstays meet the rear dropouts. The seat cluster would date it to the beginning of the 80s but I might be wrong there.
Unfortunately I have no idea what it is (besides being very nice).
s70rguy is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 01:12 PM
  #6  
lotek 
Senior Member
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,688

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From the Used Buyers guide by :
EVEREST: Japan. Yoshimasa Tsuchiya, Tokyo. 7-2-9 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo,
Japan. Tel: 03-811-4171. Since 1905

from Classic Rendezvous archives:

Everest was one of the pioneers of Japanese Sport
bicycles. During the 1970s Mr. Toshio Kajiwara was chief builder at
Tsuchiya Seisakusyo ("Everest" brand).
He trained Mr. Masahiro Higashikawa who is renowned
for his track/Keirin frames.
there is addtional discussion on the homage
to Cinelli (see headbadge above) that these
bikes are.

Nice find, unusual, a keeper for sure.

Marty
__________________
Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 01:13 PM
  #7  
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranker
Here are some more images as requested. let me know what you think.

pictures of bike by wanna-be Cinelli company...
WOW! is what I think! Very nice bike! Sorry to say, I know nothing about its history though I'm anxious to find out about it... If it were my size, I'd make an offer
__________________
nice lugs baby!
TheOtherGuy is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 01:16 PM
  #8  
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,543

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
From the Used Buyers guide by :

Marty
Ha! I should have known Lou's guide would have some info. I didn't even think to look there.
__________________
nice lugs baby!
TheOtherGuy is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 01:19 PM
  #9  
lotek 
Senior Member
 
lotek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: n.w. superdrome
Posts: 17,688

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very little information really. There was a discussion
recently about "worlds best bike frame" or something
similiar (wasn't that a thread here also? have to check).
Google turns up a bazillion hits for Mt. Everest and riding
a bicycle up it or some such nonsense, no help there.

marty
__________________
Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
Odio la gente, tutti.


Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
lotek is offline  
Old 06-01-05, 10:18 PM
  #10  
cranker
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
From the Used Buyers guide by :
EVEREST: Japan. Yoshimasa Tsuchiya, Tokyo. 7-2-9 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo,
Japan. Tel: 03-811-4171. Since 1905

from Classic Rendezvous archives:

Everest was one of the pioneers of Japanese Sport
bicycles. During the 1970s Mr. Toshio Kajiwara was chief builder at
Tsuchiya Seisakusyo ("Everest" brand).
He trained Mr. Masahiro Higashikawa who is renowned
for his track/Keirin frames.
there is addtional discussion on the homage
to Cinelli (see headbadge above) that these
bikes are.

Nice find, unusual, a keeper for sure.

Marty
Thank you for the information.
Ive had the bike since 1990, got it from a japanese friend that brought it from Japan, after college he sold it and took off on his Suzuki GS cross country. Some bikes just arent fast enough.

Crank on!
cranker is offline  
Old 06-02-05, 09:16 AM
  #11  
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
From the Used Buyers guide by :
EVEREST: Japan. Yoshimasa Tsuchiya, Tokyo. 7-2-9 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo,
Japan. Tel: 03-811-4171. Since 1905

from Classic Rendezvous archives:

Everest was one of the pioneers of Japanese Sport
bicycles. During the 1970s Mr. Toshio Kajiwara was chief builder at
Tsuchiya Seisakusyo ("Everest" brand).
He trained Mr. Masahiro Higashikawa who is renowned
for his track/Keirin frames.
there is addtional discussion on the homage
to Cinelli (see headbadge above) that these
bikes are.

Nice find, unusual, a keeper for sure.

Marty
The one I found was at a thrift store for $7. It was broken down in a canvas bike bag. Mint conditon.Full 531 frame and fork. Full Campy except for period DA brake levers and calipers. Looked to have been built and never more than test ridden. Was a bit strange in that it was a 60 frame with a 56 TT. Knew someone that needed similar size but couldn't afford a custom. Sold all the parts off it for a bit over $300 and rebuilt it with more current stuff out of parts boxes and gave it away.The new owner was thrilled.
sydney is offline  
Old 06-10-05, 11:18 PM
  #12  
9%grade
Newbie
 
9%grade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
In 1968, I visited the Everest shop in Tokyo. I was an aspiring frame builder, and I knew that Mr. Tsuchia was a master builder who had already visited, and learned from, the European masters, in particular the Italian and English builders. Mr. Tsuchia was an exceptionally gracious, charming and generous host. He first introduced me to his family in his home located just in front of the shop, and then patiently showed me every step, every material, every jig and fixture, and every technique in his immaculate construction process. From his lessons that day, I was able to fill-in the missing information that I needed to start to build my own custom frames. And, a few of the materials and techniques that Mr. Tsuchia showed to me have become standards in the shops of US custom and high-end production builders, although they are probably unaware of Mr. Tsuchia. By the way, Mr. Tsuchia kept a mid-sixties Masi Special road bike in a closed wooden cabinet mounted to his shop wall. That bike was the pattern for all of his road racing bikes. It was full Campy, of course, with Universal brakes and Clement sew-ups. In the cabinet were rulers, scales, angle-measuring tools and his notes. Keep your Everest bike forever. I know, for a fact, that it was made with great respect for bicycing tradition, utmost care in every detail, and a love for the sport of cycling. Yes, I still build, using the techniques of the Everest shop in Tokyo.
9%grade is offline  
Old 06-11-05, 06:17 AM
  #13  
e-RICHIE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 9%grade
Hi,
In 1968, I visited the Everest shop in Tokyo. I was an aspiring frame builder, and I knew that Mr. Tsuchia was a master builder who had already visited, and learned from, the European masters, in particular the Italian and English builders. Mr. Tsuchia was an exceptionally gracious, charming and generous host. He first introduced me to his family in his home located just in front of the shop, and then patiently showed me every step, every material, every jig and fixture, and every technique in his immaculate construction process. From his lessons that day, I was able to fill-in the missing information that I needed to start to build my own custom frames. And, a few of the materials and techniques that Mr. Tsuchia showed to me have become standards in the shops of US custom and high-end production builders, although they are probably unaware of Mr. Tsuchia. By the way, Mr. Tsuchia kept a mid-sixties Masi Special road bike in a closed wooden cabinet mounted to his shop wall. That bike was the pattern for all of his road racing bikes. It was full Campy, of course, with Universal brakes and Clement sew-ups. In the cabinet were rulers, scales, angle-measuring tools and his notes. Keep your Everest bike forever. I know, for a fact, that it was made with great respect for bicycing tradition, utmost care in every detail, and a love for the sport of cycling. Yes, I still build, using the techniques of the Everest shop in Tokyo.

that is a very cool story.
are you still building today?
shoot me an email; i'd love to chat.
e-RICHIE
richardsachs@juno.com
e-RICHIE is offline  
Old 08-08-05, 11:42 AM
  #14  
verystillwater
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am fortunate owner of the Everest that sydney built. She's a peach. After he sent her to me, I started a search for her origons but came up empty.

Thanks sydney for sending me this link.

https://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=1629

Here's a link to the only picture I seem to have of her right now. I can take more. The badges are exactly the same as cranker's bike, and it seems to be put together in much the same way. Just the painting is different. The top tube reads "Professional" instead of Campy and the coat of arms on the down tube is painted.

She's a very smooth riding bike. The guys at the bike shop in Texas (where it was first shipped) were very impressed with the quality workmanship (and Sydney's gesture!).

~Bekah
verystillwater is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.