Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My 1990 Diamondback Centurion Master TG

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My 1990 Diamondback Centurion Master TG

Old 10-25-17, 03:35 PM
  #51  
Charliekeet
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 228

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Trek 1000, Cannondale F400, Miyata 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
So no expert here, but most frames from quality companies were built in the same factories at this time in Japan. Almost all of them are very good quality for production frames, especially when good tubing was used. The Japanese really had it down by this time and most of those frames are still in use today from most of the companies we know and love, Schwinn, Diamond Back, Centurion, Bridgestone, Specialized, Miyata, ***vega, Bianchi and the list goes on and on and on. Spacialized had a big hand in this as they sent two of the best in the business in Merz and DiNucci there to get them making quality frames since they had the factories, but didn't understand how to achieve much higher quality in what they were already doing. Once they got it we have 10,000's of well priced quality frames to this day, still do even though production has long since moved to Taiwan where they still make very good quality at pricepoints that are doable and a great value albeit cookie cutter.
Huh, interesting - didn't know that about Specialized! Thanks.
I hemmed & hawed and missed this type of Diamondback locally, then thought about an Ishiwata-tubed Lotus for awhile, but settled on a super-cheap Trek instead 6061 Al instead of the steel I thought I'd go far, but I had to snap it up cheaply. Love those DB pics above, though!
Charliekeet is offline  
Old 10-25-17, 05:57 PM
  #52  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff View Post
Where at? Beautiful.
Thanks!
SF Bay Area, south of SFO airport.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 10-25-17, 06:10 PM
  #53  
Colnago Mixte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Center of Central CA
Posts: 1,685
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


Beautiful bikes. They must have hired a real actual graphic arts person to do the design, I really like it.

I asked in another thread whether Tange OS was ever used for other bikes, since that's what my Schwinn Paramount PDG is made with. My question has been answered now, thanks to this thread.

That particular type of Tange tubing was extremely "overbuilt" for casual everyday riding, since it's so amazingly stuff, I can sorta see why they stopped using it. It's good stuff though, I really like it on my Paramount. I've always heard that stiff steel frames supposedly have an unacceptably rough ride, but I sure haven't noticed that on my bike.
Colnago Mixte is offline  
Old 10-26-17, 03:11 AM
  #54  
sroller
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd show my 1991 Diamond Back Master TG.


It originally came with 105 but that went to another bike and I 'upgraded' most of it to Shimano 600. The stem (Tioga Prestige) and seatpost (Avenir) is original.










sroller is offline  
Old 12-22-17, 04:46 PM
  #55  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
My buddy found an SR Laprade aero post at a swap meet. Installed it today:
IMG_3099 by 2cam16, on Flickr
2cam16 is offline  
Old 12-23-17, 09:57 AM
  #56  
DMC707
Senior Member
 
DMC707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,388

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sroller View Post
I thought I'd show my 1991 Diamond Back Master TG.


It originally came with 105 but that went to another bike and I 'upgraded' most of it to Shimano 600. The stem (Tioga Prestige) and seatpost (Avenir) is original.











Thats a hot machine!
DMC707 is offline  
Old 12-23-17, 10:40 AM
  #57  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
Thats a hot machine!
Definitely. But probably deserves it's OWN thread.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 12-23-17, 10:55 AM
  #58  
sroller
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707 View Post
Thats a hot machine!
I've kept it in the family by passing it on to my sister with a good climbing 1x8 sram set-up and a 40 tooth single chainring crankset and flatbar. I also slapped on modern tiagra brake calipers which look great on it. I'm kind of hoping my 14yr old nephew will steal it from her at some point and convert it back to racing bike mode. As for myself I'm always on the lookout for the earlier lugged Master TG to see how it compares to my '87 Centurion Expert. I'm kind of fond of the black paint scheme with orange and blue lettering.

I only really added here as I thought it'd be an interesting footnote for comparison with the lugged and other versions that I lust after .

Last edited by sroller; 12-23-17 at 11:12 AM.
sroller is offline  
Old 12-24-17, 12:18 AM
  #59  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,162

Bikes: '87 Miyata 912, '87 Schwinn Prelude, '90 Fuji Saratoga, Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara/Centurion Ironman, '18 Diamondback Syncr, '18 handmade steel roadbike

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2874 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 95 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by sroller View Post
As for myself I'm always on the lookout for the earlier lugged Master TG to see how it compares to my '87 Centurion Expert. I'm kind of fond of the black paint scheme with orange and blue lettering.

I only really added here as I thought it'd be an interesting footnote for comparison with the lugged and other versions that I lust after .
TG were all TIG'd...i believe. Thought thats what the TG stands for. Might not be a lugged version around.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 12-24-17, 11:44 AM
  #60  
jetboy 
Senior Member
 
jetboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,983

Bikes: centurion ironman, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport, look kg96, various others

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think there is a lugged 90s Master that came out in australia- not a TG of course- but the successor to the ironman.
jetboy is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 05:58 PM
  #61  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Replaced the torn guard with one from Taiwan. Ordered a sheet of about 10 different shapes and sized for about $3 shipped. Let's see how long it lasts.
IMG_3555 by 2cam16, on Flickr
2cam16 is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 07:10 PM
  #62  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 7,205

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Loots good, awaiting a longevity report.

My expert TG is moving on to my fast growing Son!
3speedslow is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 08:24 PM
  #63  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,624
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
So no expert here, but most frames from quality companies were built in the same factories at this time in Japan. Almost all of them are very good quality for production frames, especially when good tubing was used. The Japanese really had it down by this time and most of those frames are still in use today from most of the companies we know and love, Schwinn, Diamond Back, Centurion, Bridgestone, Specialized, Miyata, ***vega, Bianchi and the list goes on and on and on. Spacialized had a big hand in this as they sent two of the best in the business in Merz and DiNucci there to get them making quality frames since they had the factories, but didn't understand how to achieve much higher quality in what they were already doing. Once they got it we have 10,000's of well priced quality frames to this day, still do even though production has long since moved to Taiwan where they still make very good quality at pricepoints that are doable and a great value albeit cookie cutter.
This bike was the move to Taiwan. Japan was great for all the lugged bikes of the time that you listed, but TIG'd bikes were more of a Taiwanese specialty at a time when Japanese production bikes were going away. I think the lugged, Japanese bikes died with the Centurion brand name. My first shop job was in 1990 at a DB/Centurion dealer.

This was not a time when anyone seemed to care about weight very much - heavy frames, heavy components.
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 09:10 PM
  #64  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow View Post
Loots good, awaiting a longevity report.

My expert TG is moving on to my fast growing Son!
In a few years I'll report. lol
They grow up too fast,Law.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 09:19 PM
  #65  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 7,205

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16 View Post
in a few years i'll report. Lol
they grow up too fast,law.
+1 !
3speedslow is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 11:27 PM
  #66  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,864

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts


So the original bike in this post was made in Japan as we can see here, it and many of the bikes/brands I mentioned are/were plenty light then and now. That was one of the main reasons for sending the guru's over there. Many of those same brands maintained those same production traits until the companies realized they could make more money and sell more bikes if they were cheaper but still reliable if not heavy by screwing down the production methods learned for profit.

Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
This bike was the move to Taiwan. Japan was great for all the lugged bikes of the time that you listed, but TIG'd bikes were more of a Taiwanese specialty at a time when Japanese production bikes were going away. I think the lugged, Japanese bikes died with the Centurion brand name. My first shop job was in 1990 at a DB/Centurion dealer.

This was not a time when anyone seemed to care about weight very much - heavy frames, heavy components.
merziac is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 11:35 PM
  #67  
Kontact
Senior Member
 
Kontact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,624
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post


So the original bike in this post was made in Japan as we can see here, it and many of the bikes/brands I mentioned are/were plenty light then and now. That was one of the main reasons for sending the guru's over there. Many of those same brands maintained those same production traits until the companies realized they could make more money and sell more bikes if they were cheaper but still reliable if not heavy by screwing down the production methods learned for profit.
Ah, missed that. The pink 1991 TG in the thread is from Taiwan, so that Japanese TIG production didn't last long.

Last edited by Kontact; 03-02-18 at 11:38 PM.
Kontact is offline  
Old 03-02-18, 11:51 PM
  #68  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 3,864

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
At the end of the day the result is the same, lots of cool bikes from heavy to great and everything in between.

Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Ah, missed that. The pink 1991 TG in the thread is from Taiwan, so that Japanese TIG production didn't last long.
merziac is offline  
Old 05-22-18, 04:14 PM
  #69  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,538

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Installed a pair of Look pedals:

IMG_3934 by 2cam16, on Flickr
2cam16 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.