Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 70s Raleigh Competition- Were they all "Mk. II"?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Early 70s Raleigh Competition- Were they all "Mk. II"?

Old 04-17-18, 11:04 AM
  #26  
vie303
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
I can answer part. If you get any brakes with recessed mounting, you would either need to change the mounting hardware (which could be more trouble than it's worth), or there would be drilling involved.
Again. You saved the day Zorro. Gracias!
vie303 is offline  
Old 08-21-18, 10:38 AM
  #27  
vie303
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How would I post pictures here. It states that I cannot post URLs, but I'm not posting URLs .. just attachments.
vie303 is offline  
Old 08-21-18, 11:48 AM
  #28  
rickrob 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 318

Bikes: 82 Univega Sportour, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vie303 View Post
So onto next sets of questions:

I'm replacing the Weinnmann 750 with a little more compact modern brakes.
Here are options and my thoughts:

Tektro R559 - Seems big (57-73mm)
Tektro R539 - Like the looks (47-57mm)

Would the R539 be the right fit for my Raleigh? Also, would there be drilling involved to accept the recessed nuts?
You can get the R559's in a nutted version. Or, if you have a recessed version, the front brake goes to the back and you can use a nut on that. You can get a new bolt for the front to make it into a nutted version. About $10.
Or, you can drill. I chose to get the new bolt when I mounted R559's to an older frame.

70mm conversion bolt


Last edited by rickrob; 08-21-18 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added link
rickrob is offline  
Old 08-21-18, 04:53 PM
  #29  
BarryCW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Coast, New Zealand
Posts: 26

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
New Zealand resident Raleigh competition


Hello people. I was lucky enough to score this Raleigh Competition, frame, stem, handlebars and brakes only. In a jiffy it turned into this single speed. The chrome is stuffed and the paint worn, however I liked the decals so much I decided to keep its history as is. These things as a novice Raleigh owner interested me: the braze on brake cable guides on top of top tube, the nifty braze on under BB cable guides, the lovely CC decal(?) on the seat tube top. The lovely 3ttt stem and Galli brakes and a handlebar wrap that is so beautifully done I will live with its thinness. I have nick named this bike brutus as the gearing I had available requires brute strength, but what a beautiful light and tight ride when conditions are right. At 30kmph on the flats a perfect blend of easy cadence and prolonged speed is possible. Too hard for me in the wind that's for sure. So is this an early 70's bike? If it is then it is my oldest.
BarryCW is offline  
Old 08-21-18, 06:12 PM
  #30  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
BarryCW if you check The Headbadge website yours appears to be the export model thatís not decaled as a GS (Gran Sport) from 1977-1982. The C.C. decal is for Carlton Cycles.
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 08:34 AM
  #31  
vie303
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. That's another option to use. However, I went with using the recessed version using SRAM Force Rival Apex Caliper Mounting Nut Set of 4: 10mm, 16mm, 20mm, 30mm that I bought from eBAY.
vie303 is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 08:37 AM
  #32  
vie303
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts




This is my version 1.0 as I'm planning to make other modifications in the future.
vie303 is offline  
Old 08-23-18, 08:43 PM
  #33  
BarryCW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Coast, New Zealand
Posts: 26

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post
BarryCW if you check The Headbadge website yours appears to be the export model thatís not decaled as a GS (Gran Sport) from 1977-1982. The C.C. decal is for Carlton Cycles.
and here it is, quite a handsome badge. Can we get closer to age and origin from here?
BarryCW is offline  
Old 08-23-18, 09:38 PM
  #34  
colbz111
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice
colbz111 is offline  
Old 08-24-18, 08:00 AM
  #35  
USAZorro
SeŮor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,251

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryCW View Post
and here it is, quite a handsome badge. Can we get closer to age and origin from here?
There should be a serial on the bottom bracket - though there are a few that had them on one of the rear dropouts. With that info, we can determine the age.

This bicycle does have the same lugs are the Grand Sports, and is certainly from the early 70's.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 02:48 AM
  #36  
BarryCW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Coast, New Zealand
Posts: 26

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
There should be a serial on the bottom bracket - though there are a few that had them on one of the rear dropouts. With that info, we can determine the age.

This bicycle does have the same lugs are the Grand Sports, and is certainly from the early 70's.
Thanks for taking an interest, the BB has serial number WN0001433. I have taken a real interest in how these bikes found there way to NZ. If it was imported at time of manufacture, it would have been one of the few that were allowed, the government of the time slashed import quotas so that the local industry could prosper during the 10 speed boom of the 1970's. 90% of bikes in NZ were made locally by Healing and Morrison (and we made many Raleigh 20's as well) In the late 80's this all changed, imports restrictions disappeared and the world changed, our cycle manufacturing more or less died. Bit of a rant, dear I say it even in non authentic single speed form it sure makes a fine bike to ride all these years later (once I worked out there is such a thing as 120mm drop out spacing....to further discover that a Shimano sealed bearing bottom bracket would screw right in made me very happy. Hope I don't get blacklisted on the Raleigh sites now.
BarryCW is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 07:17 AM
  #37  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
BarryCW your bike was made in October of 1980. It is in fact an export model. The W at the front of your serial number indicates that it was made at Carltonís Worksop factory. The N as the second digit was used to designate that the frame was made in October (each month was a different letter). The third digit is the is the year. A 0 is for 1980, a 1 would be 81 and a 2 would be 82. This serial number system began in 1973, before that W was not used at the front. If it had been a 1970 frame the serial # would begin with an E, 71would be an F, 72 a G. That system began with an A in 1966 and ended in the middle of 1973 with H and the W system began. I hope the 1980 year is not a disappointment to you as you have a bike that was made for Raleigh by Carlton at a time when they still put out great bikes!
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 07:32 AM
  #38  
Colnago Mixte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Center of Central CA
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you're saying they don't put out good bikes any more? I just saw this brand new Raleigh USA Carlton frame in Reynolds 531 in another thread, looked awesome:

https://www.raleighusa.com/carlton-team-ti-6641

Colnago Mixte is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 08:02 AM
  #39  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Colnago Mixte Iíve noticed in recent years that you can get some nice bikes made by Raleigh again. It is my opinion, as a fan of C & V, that for many years you could not. The company that owns Raleigh today seems much better than Derby was. I accept though that many people will still like the Raleighís of the Derby years despite my opinion. I just really like the TI years I guess.
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 08:10 AM
  #40  
Colnago Mixte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Center of Central CA
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does Carton still build these? I see the name, but in fairness, I have seen what Schwinn has done with some of their once-prestigious model names. like the Prelude and several others:



Really! Stem shifters on a freakin Prelude???
Colnago Mixte is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 08:25 AM
  #41  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Carlton closed permanently in 1981 but some very nice looking frames have been getting Carlton decals in recent years. That frame you posted is one of them. Iíve seen plenty of pics online but I havenít seen one in person yet. Iím looking forward to it so I can judge for myself. Iím not sure where the new Raleigh Carltons are built but they are definitely not made by Carlton.
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 08-25-18, 05:58 PM
  #42  
USAZorro
SeŮor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,251

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryCW View Post
Thanks for taking an interest, the BB has serial number WN0001433. I have taken a real interest in how these bikes found there way to NZ. If it was imported at time of manufacture, it would have been one of the few that were allowed, the government of the time slashed import quotas so that the local industry could prosper during the 10 speed boom of the 1970's. 90% of bikes in NZ were made locally by Healing and Morrison (and we made many Raleigh 20's as well) In the late 80's this all changed, imports restrictions disappeared and the world changed, our cycle manufacturing more or less died. Bit of a rant, dear I say it even in non authentic single speed form it sure makes a fine bike to ride all these years later (once I worked out there is such a thing as 120mm drop out spacing....to further discover that a Shimano sealed bearing bottom bracket would screw right in made me very happy. Hope I don't get blacklisted on the Raleigh sites now.
I see Pcampeau caught my error too. That is a 1980 serial number. I am quite surprised by the lugs, as they're identical to ones on early 70's Grand Sports. It's not a bike to sneeze at by any means. Took a spin on my Grand Sports today. It is a smooth and pleasant rider.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 08-26-18, 05:25 PM
  #43  
BarryCW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West Coast, New Zealand
Posts: 26

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post
BarryCW your bike was made in October of 1980. It is in fact an export model. The W at the front of your serial number indicates that it was made at Carltonís Worksop factory. The N as the second digit was used to designate that the frame was made in October (each month was a different letter). The third digit is the is the year. A 0 is for 1980, a 1 would be 81 and a 2 would be 82. This serial number system began in 1973, before that W was not used at the front. If it had been a 1970 frame the serial # would begin with an E, 71would be an F, 72 a G. That system began with an A in 1966 and ended in the middle of 1973 with H and the W system began. I hope the 1980 year is not a disappointment to you as you have a bike that was made for Raleigh by Carlton at a time when they still put out great bikes!
Thanks for this, I do so enjoy the detailed knowledge base that this forum has to offer. Among other things makes me feel a little less mad and obsessed. Not disappointed at all re the 1980 vintage, it is a great bike.
BarryCW is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Shoeiz
General Cycling Discussion
17
02-23-16 06:05 PM
surreal
Bicycle Mechanics
7
04-25-12 03:45 PM
impure
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
44
03-15-09 07:13 PM
aarong
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
1
07-12-08 10:11 PM
JohnSKI
Road Cycling
6
12-30-04 10:21 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.