Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My 80's Muddy Fox Explorer MTB/ATB

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My 80's Muddy Fox Explorer MTB/ATB

Old 03-30-18, 07:59 AM
  #51  
Bikerider007 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,377

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Such a cool ride. I would put on RetroBike as well.
__________________
Bikerider007 is offline  
Old 03-30-18, 09:47 AM
  #52  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007 View Post
Such a cool ride. I would put on RetroBike as well.
Thanks! I'll have to check out that forum.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 04-10-18, 07:23 AM
  #53  
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 6,028
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
What are the years for the chain stay roller cam/U-brakes for most manufacturers? 87/88 with a few holdovers into 89?
i'd say 86-88 were the peak years.. with some early ones in 85 and some hold overs in 89
frantik is offline  
Old 05-07-18, 10:34 PM
  #54  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 5,427

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Wiki says they started as a British BMX maker in the early 80s and switched to mountain when sales dropped. I'll get some pictures of mine when I get healthy.
Finally dug it out. Still in as found condition... Trailblazer, originally sold in Maine.
curbtender is offline  
Old 05-08-18, 07:59 AM
  #55  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Finally dug it out. Still in as found condition... Trailblazer, originally sold in Maine.
Cool! Time for a build!
2cam16 is offline  
Old 06-19-18, 03:30 PM
  #56  
domb84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thread! My dad has one of these in the loft and a bunch of old parts I'm going to clean up and build it back to near stock. Cheers for the reference pictures so I know what parts lived on it!

Quick question, what did you use to shine up the components like that? They look immaculate.

Cheers!
domb84 is offline  
Old 06-19-18, 04:38 PM
  #57  
madpogue 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Bike is almost a time capsule. Yellow seems to be a color especially susceptible to fading. Yuh that's some serious branding. I half-expect to see a paw print on each spoke head....

Originally Posted by Bikerider007 View Post
@2cam16 found a 89' Catalog. It says a marriage of CA, Osaka and London Built in Japan. And almost sounds like their first complete catalog.
Muddy Fox 1989 Catelogue Retrobike
I remember when these came out. Juli Furtado's appearance on the "Introduction" page of the catalog, and in the Bicycling magazine ads, caused a bit of a stir.

Oh man, the helmets and shorts on those cops.......
madpogue is offline  
Old 06-19-18, 08:52 PM
  #58  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by domb84 View Post
Great thread! My dad has one of these in the loft and a bunch of old parts I'm going to clean up and build it back to near stock. Cheers for the reference pictures so I know what parts lived on it!

Quick question, what did you use to shine up the components like that? They look immaculate.

Cheers!
Thanks! Just the usual polishing compound.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 06-20-18, 03:15 AM
  #59  
domb84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16 View Post
Thanks! Just the usual polishing compound.
Any recommendations for polishing compound products? I used to just dump the lot in white vinegar to get the muck and the rust off, then give it a once over with a cloth. Never normally polish it with compound but seeing your work it looks well worth it!
domb84 is offline  
Old 06-20-18, 08:00 AM
  #60  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by domb84 View Post
Any recommendations for polishing compound products? I used to just dump the lot in white vinegar to get the muck and the rust off, then give it a once over with a cloth. Never normally polish it with compound but seeing your work it looks well worth it!
I was lucky with this bike as the silver was in pretty good condition so it was easy. Some of my other bikes are a different story. Pretty much any brand is good but right now I'm going through a bottle of Turtle Wax chrome polish.
2cam16 is offline  
Old 06-25-18, 02:40 AM
  #61  
domb84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started on mine this weekend. Its actually as slightly different model and in worse condition but I'll pop it up anyway. Not sure if its earlier or later.
domb84 is offline  
Old 06-25-18, 07:57 AM
  #62  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by domb84 View Post
Started on mine this weekend. Its actually as slightly different model and in worse condition but I'll pop it up anyway. Not sure if its earlier or later.
Any pics,domb84?
2cam16 is offline  
Old 06-25-18, 08:21 AM
  #63  
domb84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16 View Post
Any pics,domb84?
The forum won't let me post any!
domb84 is offline  
Old 06-25-18, 11:48 AM
  #64  
mijome07
Senior Member
 
mijome07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got the same brakes and did a 3 stage cleaning. I then polished them to a mirror shine. You can see the difference between both arms. I did the same for the hardware as well.

Originally Posted by 2cam16 View Post
All done:
Originally Posted by domb84 View Post
Quick question, what did you use to shine up the components like that? They look immaculate.

Cheers!
mijome07 is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 03:38 AM
  #65  
domb84
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great. I was going to get the frame powder coated but in the end I've just cleaned it up and given it a clear coat. Loads of damage over it though.
domb84 is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 03:14 AM
  #66  
gyleshawkins
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was Jacquie Phelan, not Juli
gyleshawkins is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 03:33 AM
  #67  
gyleshawkins
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked for Muddy Fox back in '88-'90 I think. First day in the office was in their original office over Cycological, their bike shop in Central London, then they moved out to Wembley where they had a new office/warehouse.

From memory, the early bikes were assembled in Japan by Araya, frames by Sugu, but that's a distant memory phonetically rendered. But definitely assembled by Arya. Great quality, built like tanks, all lugged frames if I recall correctly.

From '88 onwards production shifted to Taiwan. TIG welded frames. Same level as quality as Giant at that time for a given price... in fact, it may have been Giant who made them, but I can't remember

That looks like an '87 Explorer and I'd buy one if I saw it in a heartbeat. Brilliant work!
gyleshawkins is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 07:50 AM
  #68  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gyleshawkins View Post
I worked for Muddy Fox back in '88-'90 I think. First day in the office was in their original office over Cycological, their bike shop in Central London, then they moved out to Wembley where they had a new office/warehouse.

From memory, the early bikes were assembled in Japan by Araya, frames by Sugu, but that's a distant memory phonetically rendered. But definitely assembled by Arya. Great quality, built like tanks, all lugged frames if I recall correctly.

From '88 onwards production shifted to Taiwan. TIG welded frames. Same level as quality as Giant at that time for a given price... in fact, it may have been Giant who made them, but I can't remember

That looks like an '87 Explorer and I'd buy one if I saw it in a heartbeat. Brilliant work!
Thanks and thanks for the added info,Gyles!
2cam16 is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 09:15 AM
  #69  
Fat Tire Trader 
Senior Member
 
Fat Tire Trader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Quentin California
Posts: 62

Bikes: http://www.fattiretrading.com/collection.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was the first, or at least one of the first Muddy Fox dealers on the west coast.

I first saw their bikes at IFMA in Cologne in 86. I think it was my visit to their booth that motivated them to open a distributing office in America. I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was close to you in the south bay peninsula.

Did your bike come with a shop sticker, or did the previous owner tell you where he bought it?

I think I still have some Muddy Fox catalogs and some stickers and a flag somewhere.

chris ioakimedes
The Fat Tire Trading Post
Fat Tire Trader is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 03:56 PM
  #70  
2cam16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
2cam16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Mateo,Ca.
Posts: 2,594

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Tire Trader View Post
I was the first, or at least one of the first Muddy Fox dealers on the west coast.

I first saw their bikes at IFMA in Cologne in 86. I think it was my visit to their booth that motivated them to open a distributing office in America. I don't remember exactly where it was, but it was close to you in the south bay peninsula.

Did your bike come with a shop sticker, or did the previous owner tell you where he bought it?

I think I still have some Muddy Fox catalogs and some stickers and a flag somewhere.

chris ioakimedes
The Fat Tire Trading Post
That's pretty cool info! I'm assuming these bikes didn't sell well here?
Sadly no bike shop sticker. The previous owner said he bought it from a bike shop that had just opened at that time. It was somewhere in Redwood City or Mountain View. He told me the shop owner had just started selling them.
If you ever come across your Muddy Fox memorabilia, please let me know.
Thanks!
2cam16 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
providencebikes
Bicycle Mechanics
7
07-08-17 05:28 PM
Meek
Bicycle Mechanics
5
08-23-13 10:03 AM
webike4fun
Classic & Vintage
26
01-26-13 10:40 PM
jonathan2jones
Road Cycling
8
03-28-09 07:48 PM
daibutsusan73
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
16
08-17-06 11:23 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.