Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saddle for Longer ride?

Old 06-26-18, 01:59 PM
  #1  
dtipton
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle for Longer ride?

Casual Rider that usually logs 20-30 miles at a time. I have a Brooks B17 mounted and find it comfortable for that distance, but not much more. I've recently signed up to do several longer rides in the 50-75 mile range. Should I consider a different saddle (if so open to suggestions) or is it more an issue with logging some longer rides to get my backside adjusted and the Brooks more broken in.

Thank You

I'm riding to raise funds for Cancer Research. Please consider making a donation to my ride. All donations are 100% tax deductible and 100% of funds go to Cancer research at the James Cancer @ The Ohio State University.

https://www.yourpelotonia.org/donate...emberId=561087

Last edited by dtipton; 06-26-18 at 02:03 PM.
dtipton is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 02:33 PM
  #2  
rhm
multimodal commuter
 
rhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ, NYC, LI
Posts: 19,179

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1587 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 32 Posts
Assuming the B17 is the right width for your setup, and that it's adjusted correctly for your riding style (note: that's two assumptions, both of which should be checked) you really can't do better than a B17. It should not need to be "broken in." Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day.
rhm is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 02:37 PM
  #3  
davester
Senior Member
 
davester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 1,583

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Super Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1983 Nishiki Cresta

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, you're already using the gold standard. That's why so many bike tourists are sporting B17s. It could be though that the B17 isn't the right shape for your butt. Another thought...are you riding with skinny tires at high psi? That could have a significant impact on comfort over long distances.
davester is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 03:40 PM
  #4  
Salamandrine 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,167

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 83 Posts
Yep. The B17 is about as good as it gets. Of course saddles are personal and it depends, but even so, I'll go out on a ledge and say that most people will find the B17 comfortable.

In my own experience new ones can be a little bit stiff for the first 50 or 100 miles. I wouldn't give up just yet.

Unfortunately what you fear is true. The main thing that breaks in is your own rear end. While I've been riding a long time, I took a few years off cycling at one point. First time back on a bike left me pretty sore, even the next day. That was about a 30 mile ride on, yes, a new B17. After a couple months, it just disappeared underneath me.

It may be worth experimenting with shorts or whatever your preferred clothing. It does make a difference. If I ride in normal clothing it's usually synthetic hiking shorts and underwear. Can't do boxers on a bike for more than a basic commute.
Salamandrine is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 03:45 PM
  #5  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,396

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6942 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 208 Posts
I had 10 years of riding on my Brooks Team Pro, before
I went on my multi month bike tours,

But I see bikes sent ahead to start tours with brand new ones...
and even at shop
when someone bought a different saddle Mid Tour
to replace their brand new Brooks.



fietsbob is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 07:50 PM
  #6  
Classtime 
Senior Member
 
Classtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,687

Bikes: 81 Medici, 84 Turbo, 86 IM, 2010 Milwaukee Road, 2011 RS

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
The first time you ride 50-75 miles will not be comfortable.
Classtime is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 07:59 PM
  #7  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,547

Bikes: Lots. Just...lots.

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Not a Brooks fan, myself. They do not work for everyone.
My favorite saddle is a Selle Italia Q-Bik, have them mounted on six or seven bikes in my collection...pretty much any bike on which I would ride more than 30 miles. Also like the Concor saddle. Pricey, but good for a long day. For ME.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 08:05 PM
  #8  
COBikeLover
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm View Post
Assuming the B17 is the right width for your setup, and that it's adjusted correctly for your riding style (note: that's two assumptions, both of which should be checked) you really can't do better than a B17. It should not need to be "broken in." Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day.
"Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day."

Huh? Long distant cyclists "regularly" ride 200-250 miles a day?? Who?? Where?? This seems a bit extreme. Who's doing two century rides a day and getting up the next day and doing it all over again??

As for it not being "broken in..." is this a legit post?? Of course Brooks saddles need time to be broken in. There is enough post on this board alone stating this and anyone can google this. And being on two different Brook Saddles in the last six weeks I will attest that this is an incorrect statement.
COBikeLover is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 09:11 PM
  #9  
greg3rd48
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,823

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I absolutely love my Selle Anatomica Titanico. I have ridden 240 miles straight on it with not a bit of discomfort. For truly long ridea this is my go-to option.

Last edited by greg3rd48; 06-26-18 at 09:14 PM.
greg3rd48 is online now  
Old 06-26-18, 09:13 PM
  #10  
greg3rd48
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,823

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Well to be fair rhm speaks from experience. The man has done and will do that mileage with gusto.

Originally Posted by COBikeLover View Post
"Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day."

Huh? Long distant cyclists "regularly" ride 200-250 miles a day?? Who?? Where?? This seems a bit extreme. Who's doing two century rides a day and getting up the next day and doing it all over again??

As for it not being "broken in..." is this a legit post?? Of course Brooks saddles need time to be broken in. There is enough post on this board alone stating this and anyone can google this. And being on two different Brook Saddles in the last six weeks I will attest that this is an incorrect statement.
greg3rd48 is online now  
Old 06-26-18, 09:54 PM
  #11  
COBikeLover
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48 View Post
Well to be fair rhm speaks from experience. The man has done and will do that mileage with gusto.
To be "fair" in what context? The average touring rider is not doing 200+ miles a day weighted down. In fact, I can't recall a single video of "anyone" that is traveling around the world putting on serious miles doing 200+ miles a day, every day. Most people that are on Brooks saddles are touring riders I would suspect and I am not buying they are putting in 200+ miles a day. From everything I have seen, read, and watched...really "good" riders might do 100 miles a day, but I don't think that is even realistic day in and day out.
COBikeLover is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 09:55 PM
  #12  
COBikeLover
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW OP...you could always look at a Brooks Flyer also if you want a little more comfort. Same shape as the B17 but with springs for added comfort.
COBikeLover is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:04 PM
  #13  
Salamandrine 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,167

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by COBikeLover View Post
To be "fair" in what context? The average touring rider is not doing 200+ miles a day weighted down. In fact, I can't recall a single video of "anyone" that is traveling around the world putting on serious miles doing 200+ miles a day, every day. Most people that are on Brooks saddles are touring riders I would suspect and I am not buying they are putting in 200+ miles a day. From everything I have seen, read, and watched...really "good" riders might do 100 miles a day, but I don't think that is even realistic day in and day out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randonneuring

It's been going on a long time. Challenges to see how far you can ride. Even before the rando thing started (in the USA) people used to do double centuries. Anyway they don't do 200 miles every day. Maybe a few days. Humans are capable of quite a lot if we stretch.

The original 6 day racing was even more nuts.
Salamandrine is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:15 PM
  #14  
COBikeLover
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randonneuring

It's been going on a long time. Challenges to see how far you can ride. Even before the rando thing started (in the USA) people used to do double centuries. Anyway they don't do 200 miles every day. Maybe a few days. Humans are capable of quite a lot if we stretch.

The original 6 day racing was even more nuts.
"Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day."

But this isn't relative to OP's question and it doesn't support the original claim in the context it was put in. Not sure why more folks are rushing to defend the statement then correct it and properly educate someone...unless I am completely missing something here and not familiar with the term "long distance cyclist" as meaning something other than what I would understand. And the word "regularly" was used which I am not seeing supporting evidence for either.

Last edited by COBikeLover; 06-26-18 at 10:19 PM.
COBikeLover is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:20 PM
  #15  
Salamandrine 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,167

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by COBikeLover View Post
But this isn't relative to OP's question and it doesn't support the original claim in the context it was put in. Not sure why more folks are rushing to defend the statement then correct it and proper educate someone...unless I am completely missing something here.
But it isn't incorrect. Those rando guys really do ride a couple hundred miles, and then do it again the next day. They don't ride that much every single day of the year.

The point is that if a saddle can be comfortable for 200 miles, it will be comfortable for 50-75 mile rides the OP is looking to go on.
Salamandrine is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:28 PM
  #16  
COBikeLover
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine View Post
But it isn't incorrect. Those rando guys really do ride a couple hundred miles, and then do it again the next day. They don't ride that much every single day of the year.

The point is that if a saddle can be comfortable for 200 miles, it will be comfortable for 50-75 mile rides the OP is looking to go on.
And those rando guys are jumping on "brand new" Brooks saddles and doing 200 mile rides on a statistical frequent basis also? I sincerely doubt that.

I did a 65 mile ride today on a brand new saddle that is 2 days old out of the package. It was my second ride that far. I sincerely hope it breaks in as time goes on. Definitely doable though.
COBikeLover is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:35 PM
  #17  
obrentharris 
Senior Member
 
obrentharris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 2,466

Bikes: fewer (n-1)

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by COBikeLover View Post
"Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day."

But this isn't relative to OP's question and it doesn't support the original claim in the context it was put in. Not sure why more folks are rushing to defend the statement then correct it and properly educate someone...unless I am completely missing something here and not familiar with the term "long distance cyclist" as meaning something other than what I would understand. And the word "regularly" was used which I am not seeing supporting evidence for either.
In fact you are indeed "completely missing something." You have made the assumption that this thread is about touring. You, not the OP, are one who brought up " The average touring rider" and " 'anyone' that is traveling around the world." Neither the OP or @rhm mentioned tourists.

It is indeed relevant to the OP's question that, for many, a B-17 is a comfortable saddle for many more miles than the "50-75 mile range" that the OP intends.

In response to your questions "ride 200-250 miles a day?? Who?? Where??" if you do not know about the long history of the many long classic rides like John O'Groats to Lands End or the Paris Brest Paris or about the very active international randonneuring movement You might want to educate yourself.
Brent
obrentharris is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:52 PM
  #18  
COBikeLover
Banned.
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 96

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris View Post
In fact you are indeed "completely missing something." You have made the assumption that this thread is about touring. You, not the OP, are one who brought up " The average touring rider" and " 'anyone' that is traveling around the world." Neither the OP or @rhm mentioned tourists.

It is indeed relevant to the OP's question that, for many, a B-17 is a comfortable saddle for many more miles than the "50-75 mile range" that the OP intends.

In response to your questions "ride 200-250 miles a day?? Who?? Where??" if you do not know about the long history of the many long classic rides like John O'Groats to Lands End or the Paris Brest Paris or about the very active international randonneuring movement You might want to educate yourself.
Brent
Umm...you made an assumption that I made an assumption. This is incorrect. I was using educated deducting and speculating and for the sake of argument, condensed my vocabulary and thinking down to "touring riders" since they would be the best statistical group to collect data from (even speculating) and probably a better definition to the word, and who probably statically are also using Brooks saddles more than any other group of riders by and far when it comes to the B17. I also was accessing OP is probably not very far along on certain concepts just based off the limited information presented and figured opportunity to educate and discuss rather than deal with opinions that actually aren't based in facts or proper vocabulary. Also not really interested in educating myself on something just because people want to bring in information out of context in order for the need to be "right" versus actually being "correct." Sorry you want to get into semantics of "long distance rider" definition. I would assume that if a poll was done and we asked majority of the forum what comes to mind instantly when someone thinks of "long distance rider" they are going to naturally gravitate towards "touring riders." Unless of course there is an elite group of folks who's understanding of this circumvents the norm but I am not really into semantics or opinions for the need to be right. Thanks though.

Last edited by COBikeLover; 06-26-18 at 11:05 PM.
COBikeLover is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 10:53 PM
  #19  
Oldairhead
Senior Member
 
Oldairhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 493

Bikes: Rawland, Co-Motion, Pegoretti, Colnago, Motobecane, Battaglin, De Bernardi, Hetchins, Sancineto, Legnano, Moots, Schwinn, Girardengo, Bianchi, Hetchins, Messori, PT Stallard

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by COBikeLover View Post
"Long distance cyclists regularly ride 200-250 miles on a B17 and get up and do that again the next day."
Huh? Long distant cyclists "regularly" ride 200-250 miles a day?? Who?? Where?? This seems a bit extreme. Who's doing two century rides a day and getting up the next day and doing it all over again??
Well, it's interesting that you asked! Just this past Saturday I rode the Grand Tour Double Century, along with about 300 or more other riders. In fact this is my 85th ride of 200 miles or greater in a single day! I've done a 300 mile event in 21 hours (continuous) and have participated in events of 400 km, 600 km, 1000 km and 1200 km. All of which are continuous events where the clock is running 24 hours a day. It is quite a common pursuit among endurance cyclists. You could visit the Randonneurs USA website for more information.

The overwhelming majority of these randonneurs are using Brooks leather saddles. My personal favorite is the Brooks Swift Ti, but I also use B-17's on a few bikes. Of course some riders do use other saddles like Selle Anatomica or Gilles Berthoud because the shape may suit their anatomy better. I have found that the key with a Brooks saddle is to make sure that it has been treated properly with Proofhide or Mink Oil. You can buy an older but supple Brooks B-17 in good condition for around $100. I have found that the newer Brooks leather is less desirable that that used on older versions. Of course an old dry saddle is not much good so you have to make sure that it has been well cared for. There is very little that can compare to the comfort of a well maintained and treated Brooks saddle for all day comfort!

You can see ride reports of these Who, What and Where rides at this link:
https://utahrandonneur.wordpress.com/
Oldairhead is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 11:06 PM
  #20  
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,460

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by COBikeLover View Post
And those rando guys are jumping on "brand new" Brooks saddles and doing 200 mile rides on a statistical frequent basis also? I sincerely doubt that.
Well, I've only done (at most) 105 miles or so in a day, but the saddle I did it on was an effectively 'brand new' Brooks Pro. An old, stiff one; not one of the new, lighter-skinned ones that are fairly flexy right out of the box. It depends on what your butt is used to, and my butt is used to really hard saddles. IMHO, a "broken in" saddle is one that is ready to pass on to someone else. My butt would be ok with 200 miles on any given brand new Brooks, but my legs wouldn't make it that far in one day.
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● ● 1984 Nishiki Landau ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Univega Nuovo Sport ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 06-26-18, 11:10 PM
  #21  
Essthreetee 
Senior Member
 
Essthreetee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central California
Posts: 1,009

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, 92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, 84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
My personal (saddles are definitely personal) favorite is the Koobi Alpha PRS saddle. I have them on all of my bikes. They just work for me.
__________________
"They ain't following me, I'm just in front." - Rubber Duck

lol <---- does that look like someone drowning to anyone else?
Essthreetee is offline  
Old 06-27-18, 04:28 AM
  #22  
Old Fireleg
Senior Member
 
Old Fireleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 172

Bikes: '76 Colnago Super NR,'83 Romani Aero KL/SP SR, '85 Mino Denti Aero Master CR, '86 ALAN Cyclo-cross DA, '89 Bottecchia SLX CR, '90 Colnago Master Piu CR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My suggestion: Selle San Marco Rolls. Plus a little bit EPO for the 200-250 miles. Although in this case you may not need a new saddle.
Old Fireleg is offline  
Old 06-27-18, 04:48 AM
  #23  
dtipton
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Not a Brooks fan, myself. They do not work for everyone.
My favorite saddle is a Selle Italia Q-Bik, have them mounted on six or seven bikes in my collection...pretty much any bike on which I would ride more than 30 miles. Also like the Concor saddle. Pricey, but good for a long day. For ME.
Thanks, I'll check that out.
dtipton is offline  
Old 06-27-18, 04:49 AM
  #24  
dtipton
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine View Post
Unfortunately what you fear is true. The main thing that breaks in is your own rear end. While I've been riding a long time, I took a few years off cycling at one point. First time back on a bike left me pretty sore, even the next day. That was about a 30 mile ride on, yes, a new B17. After a couple months, it just disappeared underneath me.

It may be worth experimenting with shorts or whatever your preferred clothing. It does make a difference. If I ride in normal clothing it's usually synthetic hiking shorts and underwear. Can't do boxers on a bike for more than a basic commute.
I figured that was the issue. Looks like I need to log some more miles.
dtipton is offline  
Old 06-27-18, 04:56 AM
  #25  
dtipton
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Ohio
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48 View Post
I absolutely love my Selle Anatomica Titanico. I have ridden 240 miles straight on it with not a bit of discomfort. For truly long ridea this is my go-to option.
Thank you, I will check this one out!
dtipton is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.