Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can someone ID this Eddie Merckx Molteni

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can someone ID this Eddie Merckx Molteni

Old 11-15-18, 01:46 PM
  #1  
cody daniels
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Posts: 116

Bikes: Rossin, Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Repato Course tribute fixie, Ken Evans Aerolite TT LoPro, Basso TT LoPro, Raliegh "Chill" Police bike, Serotta Colorado II

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone ID this Eddie Merckx Molteni

I got this Merckx Molteni today. It's pretty crusty but seems to be all there. I am curious as to what year it is and how correct it is. The serial number appears to be 057023. The shifters and derailleurs are simplex. It has 27" Rigida rims with Atom hubs, Stronglight crank arms and Weinmann brakes. I have been looking online but haven't found any with Simplex parts. Is this one that's been cobbled together or did I just not find it?




cody daniels is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 02:27 PM
  #2  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,044

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by cody daniels View Post
I got this Merckx Molteni today. It's pretty crusty but seems to be all there. I am curious as to what year it is and how correct it is. The serial number appears to be 057023. The shifters and derailleurs are simplex. It has 27" Rigida rims with Atom hubs, Stronglight crank arms and Weinmann brakes. I have been looking online but haven't found any with Simplex parts. Is this one that's been cobbled together or did I just not find it?




Bottom of the barrel bike boom BSO made by Falcon I think, no real connection to the real thing.
merziac is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 02:35 PM
  #3  
cody daniels
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Posts: 116

Bikes: Rossin, Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Repato Course tribute fixie, Ken Evans Aerolite TT LoPro, Basso TT LoPro, Raliegh "Chill" Police bike, Serotta Colorado II

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a Falcon sticker on the top of the seat tube.
cody daniels is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 02:53 PM
  #4  
cody daniels
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Posts: 116

Bikes: Rossin, Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Repato Course tribute fixie, Ken Evans Aerolite TT LoPro, Basso TT LoPro, Raliegh "Chill" Police bike, Serotta Colorado II

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It does have a falcon decal on the seat tube.
cody daniels is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 03:12 PM
  #5  
Ex Pres
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mountain Brook, AL
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cody daniels View Post
It does have a falcon decal on the seat tube.
That pins it down, then. One of the multiple builders of Merckx bicycles in the early-mid 70's. Falcon was the British builder, others were built in European countries & even Japan.
You don't see a tubing sticker anywhere, I assume, so measuring the seatpost diameter can at least lend a hint of the tubing. Don't count on this being high end, with no integrated derailleur hanger.
Clean & grease it up, have fun. I would guess most of what you have is original, including the Simplex.
Ex Pres is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 04:14 PM
  #6  
juvela
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 8,121
Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts
-----

Falcon was what I thought when first posted.

Then thought it must be another maker due to lug pattern and seat stay treatment.

This is the first Falcon Merckx have seen with this combination of frame bits.

Thanks for posting.

Here is another odd economy Eddie -

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Vintage-Raci...nlq6:rk:6:pf:0

Lugset on this one is Agrati pattern "AM."

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 04:21 PM
  #7  
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 41,398

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Anyone can swap parts

Maybe Eddy had a budget Mass Market line? Many Euro Brands do ..
( above ebay link expired )
The parts you see were likely changed by someone in the past..

... its not rocket physics...




...

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-15-18 at 04:27 PM.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 11-15-18, 06:18 PM
  #8  
cody daniels
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Posts: 116

Bikes: Rossin, Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Repato Course tribute fixie, Ken Evans Aerolite TT LoPro, Basso TT LoPro, Raliegh "Chill" Police bike, Serotta Colorado II

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an expert on serial numbers but if the number is 057023 does that mean it was made in June (7),of 1975 (05) ?
cody daniels is offline  
Old 11-16-18, 06:36 AM
  #9  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I think thats really cool. Come on, it says Eddy Merckx on the downtube....and Molteni orange just like "the Cannibal" rides.! When that bike was made he was at the top of his game. Great bike. It would be so fun to show up at a local group ride on one of these. I want one!
big chainring is offline  
Old 11-20-18, 05:56 PM
  #10  
cody daniels
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sarasota Fl.
Posts: 116

Bikes: Rossin, Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Repato Course tribute fixie, Ken Evans Aerolite TT LoPro, Basso TT LoPro, Raliegh "Chill" Police bike, Serotta Colorado II

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since it apparently has no major value to it I might just have some fun with it. I striped it down today. The frame was full of dead ladybugs, when I say full I mean like about 150 to 200 of those things, ugh! Maybe they thought it was their mother. Be fore I started, I weighed it and it was 28lbs. When all the parts were in a box the box weighs 21lbs. Those are some heavy parts. All I have done so far is to polish out the frame. I still have to do the forks. It is now quite shiny and most of the blemishes disappeared. So the bare frame now weighs 7 lbs, I don't think that is to heavy for a cheep low end bike. I'm not sure if I'll build it with period parts or just modernize it. Either way it will probably be a couple weeks before I do anything else to it. I will post a picture of it on my next day off.
cody daniels is offline  
Old 11-21-18, 12:29 AM
  #11  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,044

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
I think thats really cool. Come on, it says Eddy Merckx on the downtube....and Molteni orange just like "the Cannibal" rides.! When that bike was made he was at the top of his game. Great bike. It would be so fun to show up at a local group ride on one of these. I want one!
+1, agreed Build it up nice, make no excuses, a Merckx is a Merckx!
merziac is offline  
Old 11-21-18, 08:10 AM
  #12  
Ex Pres
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mountain Brook, AL
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cody daniels View Post
Since it apparently has no major value to it I might just have some fun with it. I striped it down today. The frame was full of dead ladybugs, when I say full I mean like about 150 to 200 of those things, ugh! Maybe they thought it was their mother. Be fore I started, I weighed it and it was 28lbs. When all the parts were in a box the box weighs 21lbs. Those are some heavy parts. All I have done so far is to polish out the frame. I still have to do the forks. It is now quite shiny and most of the blemishes disappeared. So the bare frame now weighs 7 lbs, I don't think that is to heavy for a cheep low end bike. I'm not sure if I'll build it with period parts or just modernize it. Either way it will probably be a couple weeks before I do anything else to it. I will post a picture of it on my next day off.

I have a Holdsworth from around the same era, also overweight. But I think I could shed a bunch just by replacing the cottered steel crank. Mine is a real boat anchor - is yours?
Ex Pres is offline  
Old 11-21-18, 10:12 AM
  #13  
rando_couche
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,060
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Bottom of the barrel bike boom BSO made by Falcon I think, no real connection to the real thing.
Yep. On the plus side those do look like the original components. :-)
rando_couche is offline  
Old 11-21-18, 10:22 AM
  #14  
3speedslow
Senior Member
 
3speedslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 7,273

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
With no hill in Florida weight is not a real concern for you. Keep it a single speed if it bothers you. It would be spectacular!
3speedslow is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
hottamalebaby
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
11
04-14-18 07:47 AM
Banzai
Bicycle Mechanics
6
02-16-17 07:16 PM
LouB
Classic & Vintage
47
12-07-16 04:34 PM
plonz
Classic & Vintage
25
09-15-15 02:04 PM
b3nsonx
BMX
11
08-14-08 06:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.