Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Breaking Away Masi Bike Crash Version

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My Breaking Away Masi Bike Crash Version

Reply

Old 03-13-19, 06:33 PM
  #351  
xetaprime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Originally Posted by P!N20 View Post
Any moral concerns with turning a Peugeot into a Cinelli Laser?

https://laserbuildingprocess.wordpre...tarting-point/
That is a lot! of work for something you can't ride, or perhaps, shouldn't I tell ya!
xetaprime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 09:24 AM
  #352  
mcpastor
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I love it! A fake version of the fake Masi in a great movie. Itís beautiful in a campy way, no pun intended. Nice job on the frame!
mcpastor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 01:34 PM
  #353  
Lemond1985
Senior Member
 
Lemond1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
A fake Masi stunt bike might offend a few people. But a fake Cinelli Laser could wind up killing someone, if those welds don't hold. Talk about an "attractive nuisance".

I hope that thing is securely locked up in a vault somewhere, so that some wannabe time trialer doesn't take it for a spin, not knowing it's intended only as "a work of art". Maybe it could be rendered permanently inoperable by welding the bottom bracket spindle to the cups, or something similar.
Lemond1985 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 02:06 PM
  #354  
xetaprime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mcpastor View Post
I love it! A fake version of the fake Masi in a great movie. Itís beautiful in a campy way, no pun intended. Nice job on the frame!
Thanks!
Early in the thread, someone mentioned that the whole movie (don't quote) was about fakeness. Yes, there was a fake Masi bike, and then there was the fake Italian, Dave Stohler! The whole movie was about him faking. I loved that comment! Obviously
xetaprime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 02:56 PM
  #355  
Kactus 
Senior Member
 
Kactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 2,773

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1974 Motobecane Champion Team, 1976 Masi Gran Criterium, 1978 Raleigh Professional

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Lemond1985 View Post
Maybe it could be rendered permanently inoperable by welding the bottom bracket spindle to the cups, or something similar.
That's an excellent idea. At some point in the future, someone is bound to think it's a ridable bike and end up getting hurt.
__________________
Life... is a state of mind.
Kactus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 03:10 PM
  #356  
xetaprime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Kactus View Post
That's an excellent idea. At some point in the future, someone is bound to think it's a ridable bike and end up getting hurt.
To be clear, this time, not my fault What?
xetaprime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 05:15 PM
  #357  
Bad Lag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal, for now
Posts: 866

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Originally Posted by xetaprime View Post
Thanks!
Early in the thread, someone mentioned that the whole movie (don't quote) was about fakeness. Yes, there was a fake Masi bike, and then there was the fake Italian, Dave Stohler! The whole movie was about him faking. I loved that comment! Obviously
That's odd, I thought the movie was about growing up and getting away from "faking it" - letting loose of the affectations of youth.
Bad Lag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 05:43 PM
  #358  
xetaprime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Bad Lag View Post
That's odd, I thought the movie was about growing up and getting away from "faking it" - letting loose of the affectations of youth.
Well Yeaaahhh, at the end of the movie
Way to ruin a great Thursday Dude! Jeez!
xetaprime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 06:36 PM
  #359  
madpogue
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
"The only thing I'm afraid of is wastin' the rest of my life with you guys!"










Oh wait..... shoot.....
madpogue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-19, 10:50 PM
  #360  
Bad Lag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal, for now
Posts: 866

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Originally Posted by xetaprime View Post
Well Yeaaahhh, at the end of the movie
Way to ruin a great Thursday Dude! Jeez!
Did I kill your buzz?
Bad Lag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 03:55 AM
  #361  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 22,947

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Would be curious to see what Bad Lag thinks of this MASI.





Let's see:
  • Built by Faliero Masi - check.
    • Uh...nope. Wait, the '70s Grand Criteriums were not built by him either? Oh, no, I've been scammed!
  • Made in the USA - check.
    • Uh...nope. A real MASI would be American mad...wait, what?
"OMFG, THE MASI NUOVA STRADA IS NOT A REAL MASI! MASI FAKED THEIR OWN BIKES! FAKE! FAKE! FAKE NEWS!!"

Bad Lag, take a step back and realize that there are a few times where the outright cloning of a bike has its exceptions. These exceptions depend on the intent of the builder, their actions, and a fair amount of faith that human nature isn't all bad. So far, it doesn't seem as if the OP has any intentions of selling his creation, so he's in control of the bike's story for now - and has been a proper custodian of said story. What's more, this entire thread pretty much logs the entire history of this bike for the internet, so post-build fakery would be outsted pretty quickly.

At any rate, it doesn't warrant the constant bad blood and browbeating that you're bringing to this thread. We know your point already; we can read.

The irony is that there are other potential fakes out there that deserve much more criticism, but receive half of the scrutiny that they deserve. About 5-7 years ago (don't remember exactly), a number of blue and red Guerciotti frames were popping up right and left on the Internet and also in my area. I didn't suspect anything then, but after a few years of research after the fact, I started to believe one story that came out of the woodwork: That some framebuilder in South or Central America got their hands on a whole bunch of Guerciotti parts and assembled some thickly-painted mutts. I have no way of confirming this, and it's still just a hunch of mine. But those Guerciottis aren't given half the effort of ousting that you've given our Trekasi building-friend here. And he has disclosed his build to the world - and shown no intent to harm.

-Kurt
__________________

Last edited by cudak888; 03-17-19 at 12:21 PM.
cudak888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 01:59 PM
  #362  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,465

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2079 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
The irony is that there's other potential fakes out there that nobody really cares about at the same level, but deserves much more criticism.
-Kurt
Maybe they'd give you a REFUND !?!?!?!
DiabloScott is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-19, 04:15 PM
  #363  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 22,947

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Maybe they'd give you a REFUND !?!?!?!
On the four I had? Unlikely - as I said, that was years ago. Plus, there wasn't anything on them to suggest they weren't identical to actual Guerciottis, save for thick paint - IIRC, one of the other theories was that they were real, but were not imported by TSD, and thus had different, thicker paint jobs. One of mine had a TSD logo pantographed into the brake bridge, which doesn't add up with any theory.

To this day, there was lot of lore and conjecture, but not one shred of conclusive proof or a decent lead that anyone has told me (it's been a number of years, so there may be more info I'm not aware of). My personal guess is that Guerciotti sold off a bunch of factory seconds - including multiple generations of frames - long after said frames were originally built. These frames were either quickly painted or painted by whoever bought the lot.

-Kurt
__________________

Last edited by cudak888; 03-17-19 at 12:30 PM.
cudak888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 08:12 AM
  #364  
mcpastor
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Kansas City area
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Maybe they'd give you a REFUND !?!?!?!
I see what you did there
mcpastor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 12:21 PM
  #365  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 22,947

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by mcpastor View Post
I see what you did there
Please let me in on it.
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 01:17 PM
  #366  
xetaprime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Please let me in on it.

You're welcome
xetaprime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-19, 01:21 PM
  #367  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 22,947

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by xetaprime View Post
You're welcome


I get it now. I tend to watch the bicycle bits of BA more than the rest of the film, so I didn't remember this bit.

On that note, I'll gladly refund him whatever he paid for that convertible C2 Vette...

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 07:09 AM
  #368  
joesch
Senior Member
 
joesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hotel CA / DFW
Posts: 373

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 86 Masi NS, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 96 Serotta Colorado TI, 05 Colnago C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 13 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Would be curious to see what Bad Lag thinks of this MASI.





Let's see:
  • Built by Faliero Masi - check.
    • Uh...nope. Wait, the '70s Grand Criteriums were not built by him either? Oh, no, I've been scammed!
  • Made in the USA - check.
    • Uh...nope. A real MASI would be American mad...wait, what?
"OMFG, THE MASI NUOVA STRADA IS NOT A REAL MASI! MASI FAKED THEIR OWN BIKES! FAKE! FAKE! FAKE NEWS!!"

Bad Lag, take a step back and realize that there are a few times where the outright cloning of a bike has its exceptions. These exceptions depend on the intent of the builder, their actions, and a fair amount of faith that human nature isn't all bad. So far, it doesn't seem as if the OP has any intentions of selling his creation, so he's in control of the bike's story for now - and has been a proper custodian of said story. What's more, this entire thread pretty much logs the entire history of this bike for the internet, so post-build fakery would be outsted pretty quickly.

At any rate, it doesn't warrant the constant bad blood and browbeating that you're bringing to this thread. We know your point already; we can read.

The irony is that there are other potential fakes out there that deserve much more criticism, but receive half of the scrutiny that they deserve. About 5-7 years ago (don't remember exactly), a number of blue and red Guerciotti frames were popping up right and left on the Internet and also in my area. I didn't suspect anything then, but after a few years of research after the fact, I started to believe one story that came out of the woodwork: That some framebuilder in South or Central America got their hands on a whole bunch of Guerciotti parts and assembled some thickly-painted mutts. I have no way of confirming this, and it's still just a hunch of mine. But those Guerciottis aren't given half the effort of ousting that you've given our Trekasi building-friend here. And he has disclosed his build to the world - and shown no intent to harm.

-Kurt
RE: "OMFG, THE MASI NUOVA STRADA IS NOT A REAL MASI! MASI FAKED THEIR OWN BIKES! FAKE! FAKE! FAKE NEWS!!"

What is the story on the Masi Nouva Strada?
What company made them?
Were they reynolds 531 or columbus sl??
joesch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 07:27 AM
  #369  
madpogue
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Madison, WI USA
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
^^^^^ Looks like a Columbus sticker.

Originally Posted by xetaprime View Post
I just realized, even back then, that would be considered a Classic Corvette, and with all the pushing back and forth, no one is grabbing the WHEEL?
madpogue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 10:15 AM
  #370  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 22,947

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by joesch View Post
RE: "OMFG, THE MASI NUOVA STRADA IS NOT A REAL MASI! MASI FAKED THEIR OWN BIKES! FAKE! FAKE! FAKE NEWS!!"

What is the story on the Masi Nouva Strada?
What company made them?
Were they reynolds 531 or columbus sl??
Here's everything you ever wanted to know about MASI origins - the Nuova Strada is covered here:
ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: MASI Identification: American Or Italian?

Short form is that these were made under contract by Billato in Italy. They were finished stateside, with paint and decals by Jim Allen. Mine had Columbus SLX tubing, if I recall right.

Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
I just realized, even back then, that would be considered a Classic Corvette, and with all the pushing back and forth, no one is grabbing the WHEEL?
The steering on vehicles back then were so loose that it wouldn't have made much of a difference otherwise. Unless it was manual and not power.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 12:26 PM
  #371  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,383
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Re: the Lazer - Squeezing the rims in the vise to make them narrower was a good touch. I'm flabbergasted.
TenGrainBread is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 11:03 PM
  #372  
joesch
Senior Member
 
joesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hotel CA / DFW
Posts: 373

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 86 Masi NS, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 96 Serotta Colorado TI, 05 Colnago C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 13 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Here's everything you ever wanted to know about MASI origins - the Nuova Strada is covered here:
ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: MASI Identification: American Or Italian?

Short form is that these were made under contract by Billato in Italy. They were finished stateside, with paint and decals by Jim Allen. Mine had Columbus SLX tubing, if I recall right.



The steering on vehicles back then were so loose that it wouldn't have made much of a difference otherwise. Unless it was manual and not power.

-Kurt
Thanks for the ref where I found this info:

The same goes for the Gran Corsa and Nuova Strada... they were US bikes, but were never built here. They were built in Italy (again, probably by Billato or Mondonico), imported as bare frames, then numbered, painted and decaled here by Jim Allen.
joesch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 06:01 AM
  #373  
speedevil 
I never finish anyth
 
speedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western KY
Posts: 910

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 198? Masi Nuovo Strada, 1984 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Originally Posted by joesch View Post
RE: "OMFG, THE MASI NUOVA STRADA IS NOT A REAL MASI! MASI FAKED THEIR OWN BIKES! FAKE! FAKE! FAKE NEWS!!"

What is the story on the Masi Nouva Strada?
What company made them?
Were they reynolds 531 or columbus sl??
Actually, neither. My Nuovo Strada was made from Reynolds 653.

__________________
Dale, NL4T
speedevil is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 07:37 AM
  #374  
joesch
Senior Member
 
joesch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hotel CA / DFW
Posts: 373

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 86 Masi NS, 87 50th Daccordi, 87 Guerciotti, 96 Serotta Colorado TI, 05 Colnago C50, 08 Lemond Filmore, 13 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
Actually, neither. My Nuovo Strada was made from Reynolds 653.

It nice to have the tubing sticker, assuming not a repaint or replacement.
There must be a listing of years made and tubes used?
I have heard SL, SLX, 531, and now your 653.
joesch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 07:39 PM
  #375  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 22,947

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Originally Posted by joesch View Post
It nice to have the tubing sticker, assuming not a repaint or replacement.
There must be a listing of years made and tubes used?
I have heard SL, SLX, 531, and now your 653.
Have any of these been brought down to bare metal to confirm the tubing marks?

After all, if some of the Schwinn Superiors made by Don Mainland sneaked out with Columbus SL (despite being marked 531), what's to say the plumbers throwing these Masis together weren't doing the same?

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service