Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What time is the next train (station decal)?

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What time is the next train (station decal)?

Reply

Old 02-01-19, 10:34 AM
  #1  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
What time is the next train (station decal)?

I just picked this up this morning, and it's practically like new, even the wheels & derailleurs. Even has the black plastic Cannondale dork disc. 😁 Parts are mostly 600 EX brakes, XT derailleurs (front is a FD- MT60, rear is a RD M735), Sugino AT crank with BioPace set up for half-stepping, and a Tange Levin headset. The hubs just say Specialized, with 36-spoke Mistral M17L rims (nice & wide).
Now the fun part, I can't find a serial number yet, even after looking at the vintage Cannondale page for it. 😋😁 But there is some tape, holding the old computer wires on, plus I've heard you might need to pull the cable guide, on the BB shell. Stay tuned. 😉


stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 11:49 AM
  #2  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,035

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Either an 85, a CC frame, which would be stamped on the BB, or an early 86, which should have numbers stamped on the top or bottom of the DS chainstay. Sometimes on the front of back of the lower end of the DS seat stay. They can be hard to find, a flashlight helps.
Those long reach Shimano 600 brake calipers are hard to come by!
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 01:12 PM
  #3  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Thanks, doc. I wanted to say AA, BB, or CC really bad, but didn't want to jinx anything. 😉 I'm still hoping, but willing to accept an '86, lol. 🙄😁 I've removed quite a lot of electrical tape now, but there's residue all over the chainstay.
I tried my 700c 9-speed rear wheel, and it fits, after I took off the 700x38 tire for a 700x32 and moved the brake pads. I think you're right, I probably got lucky with these calipers. 😎 They're marked BR- 6207, with a max of 57, min of 47.
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 01:45 PM
  #4  
uncle uncle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: south kansas america
Posts: 1,367

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
I've never seen a Cannondale dork disk before...
uncle uncle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 08:26 PM
  #5  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 10,834

Bikes: 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
That's cool- really cool. And really beautiful! The "eclectic mix" of high end parts (but I think that RD is much newer than the other stuff- but it aesthetically fits perfect). Super sweet.

I can see where you can fit some real sized tires on that guy!
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

ďI might have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for these blasted kids and their dog.Ē

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 09:33 PM
  #6  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,376

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Originally Posted by uncle uncle View Post
I've never seen a Cannondale dork disk before...
Was about to post that same thing.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 06:30 AM
  #7  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post

Was about to post that same thing.
If anyone wants those 27" wheels, I left them and the old Silk Path frame behind McDonald's yesterday, in Surprise, Arizona. Might still be there. 🤔😉
I forgot to grab a pic, but I also got a Shimano 600 seatpost, in mostly great shape. Just has partially missing lettering. Whichever 600 group I have a lot of here, it isn't EX, that was Arabesque. It might have been called "plain old 600", lol. 😁
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 07:20 AM
  #8  
OldsCOOL
Senior Member
 
OldsCOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: northern michigan
Posts: 12,376

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
If anyone wants those 27" wheels, I left them and the old Silk Path frame behind McDonald's yesterday, in Surprise, Arizona. Might still be there. 🤔😉
I forgot to grab a pic, but I also got a Shimano 600 seatpost, in mostly great shape. Just has partially missing lettering. Whichever 600 group I have a lot of here, it isn't EX, that was Arabesque. It might have been called "plain old 600", lol. 😁
I have friends in Surprise.
OldsCOOL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-19, 07:56 AM
  #9  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post
If anyone wants those 27" wheels, I left them and the old Silk Path frame behind McDonald's yesterday, in Surprise, Arizona. Might still be there. 🤔😉
I forgot to grab a pic, but I also got a Shimano 600 seatpost, in mostly great shape. Just has partially missing lettering. Whichever 600 group I have a lot of here, it isn't EX, that was Arabesque. It might have been called "plain old 600", lol. 😁
OK, the fog begins to lift. 😎 This is called " new 600 EX", and was actually Shimano's first successful indexed 6-speed system. I also have the indexed downtube shifters, but probably won't keep them on.
More importantly, if you look at Cannondale's 1985 catalog, it shows the first ever ST400, wearing full New 600 EX ! So it looks like I still need to find that serial number, for confirmation, but this is probably a 1985 ST400. 😎
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 05:55 PM
  #10  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Woohoo, itís an Ď85, with serial number CC 08854! 😁 I didnít get a very good pic of it yet, but Iíll try to post one here. No guarantees on the pic, lol, Iím new to iPhones. 😉
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 05:59 PM
  #11  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Well never mind then. I can read the whole thing from here, lol, better than in person. 😎
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 01:43 PM
  #12  
cannonride15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
@stardognine , interesting your's has indexed DT shifters, do they have a index/friction setting. I ask because my '85 ST400 does not, NEW 600 EX, but not the index version, both available form Shimano that year. Stock rear derailleur was friction also, maybe that's why yours was changed, to accommodate index. Anyway great riding bike as I'm sure you know from your '88 ST400, enjoy!
cannonride15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 03:16 PM
  #13  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cannonride15 View Post
@stardognine , interesting your's has indexed DT shifters, do they have a index/friction setting. I ask because my '85 ST400 does not, NEW 600 EX, but not the index version, both available form Shimano that year. Stock rear derailleur was friction also, maybe that's why yours was changed, to accommodate index. Anyway great riding bike as I'm sure you know from your '88 ST400, enjoy!
Yes, they have a position for indexed shifting, that you can change to friction. I had no idea they had 2 versions.
I donít have that Ď88 anymore, this Ď85 is my one and only now. I wasnít looking for another bike, Iím still touring, very slowly, in Arizona, and I keep finding cool things for great prices. 😎
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 05:28 PM
  #14  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago, IL
Posts: 941

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, Ď86 Miyata 710, Ď91 Cannondale ST600, Ď84 Trek 610, 520, 620, Ď91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)


Nice bicycle. 👍
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-19, 06:05 PM
  #15  
cannonride15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post

Yes, they have a position for indexed shifting, that you can change to friction. I had no idea they had 2 versions.
I donít have that Ď88 anymore, this Ď85 is my one and only now. I wasnít looking for another bike, Iím still touring, very slowly, in Arizona, and I keep finding cool things for great prices. 😎
I should scan that page of the Shimano catalog, pretty sure it was first year for 600 series index. Your crankset and chainrings are also swapped from original as your Canny catalog points out 600 for both of those also, as well as the 'piece de resistance' 600 headset considered by some as the best headset ever made! I don't know about that, but mine as been trouble free since 1985 with no maintenance.
On the index mode, I picked up a bike with 105 index DT shifters with the intention of putting those on the ST400, but realizing the rear derailleur was not compatible (no screw adjuster on the cable entry) I just changed my mind, friction has never been a problem.
cannonride15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 12:27 PM
  #16  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cannonride15 View Post
I should scan that page of the Shimano catalog, pretty sure it was first year for 600 series index. Your crankset and chainrings are also swapped from original as your Canny catalog points out 600 for both of those also, as well as the 'piece de resistance' 600 headset considered by some as the best headset ever made! I don't know about that, but mine as been trouble free since 1985 with no maintenance.
On the index mode, I picked up a bike with 105 index DT shifters with the intention of putting those on the ST400, but realizing the rear derailleur was not compatible (no screw adjuster on the cable entry) I just changed my mind, friction has never been a problem.
Yeah, Iíve also considered, that this could easily have been sold as a frame, and someone started putting on the New 600 EX, a little at a time. Thatís actually more likely, considering the headset. I canít imagine anyone pulling the 600 headset, to put on a Tange Levin. 😉
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 12:33 PM
  #17  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly View Post


Nice bicycle. 👍
Thank you, sir, and to the other guysí compliments. I didnít mean to ignore anyone. 😉
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 01:23 PM
  #18  
cannonride15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post

Yeah, Iíve also considered, that this could easily have been sold as a frame, and someone started putting on the New 600 EX, a little at a time. Thatís actually more likely, considering the headset. I canít imagine anyone pulling the 600 headset, to put on a Tange Levin. 😉
@stardognine , did you cross your serial # to a Cannondale database somewhere to confirm ST400 and '85 model year? My '85 ST400 serial # is BB and five numbers following. I notice the '85 ST500 had Tange Levin headset and a triple crankset, though its Sugino TAT 30/44/48, color would be Charcoal vice black. Hard to tell from your picture. '86 ST500 has quite a few NEW 600 EX parts on it, so could be '86 ST500?. Anyway, great ride!
cannonride15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 02:49 PM
  #19  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago, IL
Posts: 941

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, Ď86 Miyata 710, Ď91 Cannondale ST600, Ď84 Trek 610, 520, 620, Ď91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Man I need to get my ST out of mothballs.
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 04:06 PM
  #20  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cannonride15 View Post
@stardognine , did you cross your serial # to a Cannondale database somewhere to confirm ST400 and '85 model year? My '85 ST400 serial # is BB and five numbers following. I notice the '85 ST500 had Tange Levin headset and a triple crankset, though its Sugino TAT 30/44/48, color would be Charcoal vice black. Hard to tell from your picture. '86 ST500 has quite a few NEW 600 EX parts on it, so could be '86 ST500?. Anyway, great ride!
I donít know of any databases of Cannondale serial numbers. 🤔 I thought about posting at the Vintage Cannondale site, but Iíll have to join their forum first, to start a thread there. If you know of other resources, feel free to punch in my number. 😊 You got my curiosity going again, on that Ď85 or Ď86 ST500, I noticed the similarities earlier, but thought the serial number threw things off, being a CC.
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 06:18 PM
  #21  
cannonride15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post

I donít know of any databases of Cannondale serial numbers. 🤔 I thought about posting at the Vintage Cannondale site, but Iíll have to join their forum first, to start a thread there. If you know of other resources, feel free to punch in my number. 😊 You got my curiosity going again, on that Ď85 or Ď86 ST500, I noticed the similarities earlier, but thought the serial number threw things off, being a CC.
I thought I'de run across one, but that bookmark must have gone the way of the dodo when a previous computer died... Google might be worth a shot. If I run across one I'll let you know.
cannonride15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 06:58 PM
  #22  
cannonride15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly View Post
Man I need to get my ST out of mothballs.
Yes, @Chr0m0ly , get that ST out of mothballs; and after riding it for a while tell me how it compares to your Miyata 1000. I bought a similar Univega Speciallissima with hopes of renewing the mystique of steel bikes after riding only Cannondales for so many years, but alas I couldn't notice any great difference in ride quality between it and my ST400. Who says aluminum is harsh? Stiff maybe, but no more so than the Univega! Like to hear your comparison.
cannonride15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 07:20 PM
  #23  
cannonride15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hampton Roads
Posts: 61

Bikes: Cannondales: '85 ST400, '86 SR800, '87 SM600

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Originally Posted by stardognine View Post

I donít know of any databases of Cannondale serial numbers. 🤔 I thought about posting at the Vintage Cannondale site, but Iíll have to join their forum first, to start a thread there. If you know of other resources, feel free to punch in my number. 😊 You got my curiosity going again, on that Ď85 or Ď86 ST500, I noticed the similarities earlier, but thought the serial number threw things off, being a CC.
@stardognine , try this site for serial info, unfortunately it will just confirm year of frame manufacture, but its a start...
Vintage Cannondale ? Serial Numbers & Information | VintageCannondale.com
cannonride15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-19, 08:19 PM
  #24  
stardognine
Turquoise gatherer.
Thread Starter
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 1,189

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Originally Posted by cannonride15 View Post
@stardognine , try this site for serial info, unfortunately it will just confirm year of frame manufacture, but its a start...
Vintage Cannondale ? Serial Numbers & Information | VintageCannondale.com
Yep, we know the frame was made in Ď85, by the serial, but might never know, if it was sold as a frame or complete bike. 🤔 The only thing I can think of that might clarify that, is the paint. This one looks black, and has the glitter in the paint, (usually called ďmetallicĒ), but I donít know if they called that black or charcoal. 🤪😁
I finally finished setting up my phone, and new email, and will join up at vintage cannondale sometime soon. 😎
stardognine is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service