Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 Golden Arrow Shifters.

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shimano 105 Golden Arrow Shifters.

Old 02-07-19, 11:14 AM
  #1  
spacelahana
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano 105 Golden Arrow Shifters.

I have a quick question about these, specifically the version which mounts on the top of the downtube. Does anyone know if the shifter levers can be removed and replaced with indexed downtube shifters? Are the bosses the same size?

Thanks.
spacelahana is offline  
Old 02-07-19, 12:02 PM
  #2  
Pompiere
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 2,461

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
No, they have different bases. Some people have used a dremel to modify the square base of the index shifter to fit on the top tube mount. The screws are different sizes, too. Golden Arrow uses 4.5 mm, the others use 5 mm.
Pompiere is offline  
Old 02-07-19, 01:31 PM
  #3  
Vintage_Cyclist
Senior Member
 
Vintage_Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Big Apple
Posts: 1,236

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Presumably, you mean this type of shifter.



When you remove the shifters, you will have a square Shimano B type shifter boss. As said, this is threaded for a 4.5mm bolt, which is very difficult to source, so don't lose the one you have.



Suntour also made a similar aero shifter, different threading. You will not find any indexing shifter for these types of shifter bosses. They were around in the mid-80s and didn't last long in the market.

You could put banded clamp shifters that index on the downtube and just leave the boss alone. Problem solvers also makes a clamp with shifter bosses on it, so you can install whatever shifters you want on it.

As far as I know, the only aero boss adapter for installing standard shifters was made by Gippiemme. Suntour had a similar adapter, but it had cable stops instead of bosses (for use with bar end shifters). The Gippiemme adapters show up on eBay from time to time. If you get your hands on one, you'll need the 4.5mm bolt from your original shifters to mount it.



It's possible you might be able to remove the Golden Arrow shifters from the base and install a different set of indexing shifters on the base. Modifications might be necessary. Post pictures if you do this and succeed.

Last edited by Vintage_Cyclist; 02-07-19 at 01:40 PM.
Vintage_Cyclist is offline  
Old 02-08-19, 09:31 PM
  #4  
spacelahana
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist View Post
Presumably, you mean this type of shifter.
Yeah, that is exactly the shifter I'm talking about.


Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist View Post
You could put banded clamp shifters that index on the downtube and just leave the boss alone. Problem solvers also makes a clamp with shifter bosses on it, so you can install whatever shifters you want on it.
That was my backup plan if there was no way of using the original base.

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist View Post
As far as I know, the only aero boss adapter for installing standard shifters was made by Gippiemme. Suntour had a similar adapter, but it had cable stops instead of bosses (for use with bar end shifters). The Gippiemme adapters show up on eBay from time to time. If you get your hands on one, you'll need the 4.5mm bolt from your original shifters to mount it.

It's possible you might be able to remove the Golden Arrow shifters from the base and install a different set of indexing shifters on the base. Modifications might be necessary. Post pictures if you do this and succeed.
Do you know if indexed Shimano shifters from the 80s fit on the Gipiemme adapter if I have the 4.5mm bolt?

Thanks for the detailed answer, I really appreciate it.
spacelahana is offline  
Old 02-10-19, 01:39 PM
  #5  
Vintage_Cyclist
Senior Member
 
Vintage_Cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Big Apple
Posts: 1,236

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spacelahana View Post
Do you know if indexed Shimano shifters from the 80s fit on the Gipiemme adapter if I have the 4.5mm bolt?.
Unknown. There may be threads on the forum about trying to modify such adapters, or even the aero shifter bodies, to indexing.
Vintage_Cyclist is offline  
Old 02-16-19, 12:36 PM
  #6  
spacelahana
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the answers.
spacelahana is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Jicafold
For Sale
2
05-09-17 10:34 AM
Epicus07
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
12
09-01-15 07:55 PM
cherrios
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
6
02-19-11 07:12 PM
simonaway427
Road Cycling
18
07-26-10 03:38 PM
br995
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
14
04-25-07 07:34 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.