Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Teledyne Titan Saloon.

Old 03-08-19, 10:15 PM
  #151  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy View Post
did you polish the aluminum? They look pretty good!
I'll admit to liking the look of polished aluminum... shiny is almost always a virtue!
(with the disclaimer that I may have been influenced by my time in the Marines... lots of time spent polishing brass and leather)

Steve in Peoria
Hi Steve,
My disclaimer is I polished a lot of brass in the Navy. I will let you in on my secret process. The anodizing was in OK shape just a bit dull, first step was a wash in dish washing detergent followed by a soak in white vinegar for about 30 minutes to dissolve any oxides, now for the secret part... "Renaissance Wax" as used by the British museum, this stuff is magic, the finish is as good as out of the box.





: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 03-09-19 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Spellcheck bit me.
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 12:35 AM
  #152  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First edition Mafac LS updated with LS 2 springs and pivots, greased and assembled, action is smooth as butter. Waiting on brake shoes to complete.



: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 10:00 AM
  #153  
steelbikeguy
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Hi Steve,
My disclaimer is I polished a lot of brass in the Navy. I will let you in on my secret process. The anodizing was in OK shape just a bit dull, first step was a wash in dish washing detergent followed by a soak in white vinegar for about 30 minutes to dissolve any oxides, now for the secret part... "Renaissance Wax" as used by the British museum, this stuff is magic, the finish is as good as out of the box.

: Mike
I've never felt compelled to remove anodizing, but can sympathize. I can generally satisfy my polishing urges by keeping my Campy hubs shined, as well as my bare aluminum rims. Sometimes I get motivated enough to sand, steel wool, and polish some rougher parts, like Weinmann centerpull brakes and a GB stem.. They do polish up quite nicely!

I've had good luck to not see much deterioration of the polished items, so I don't anticipate applying polish to preserve it. However, the Renaissance wax looks like just the stuff for that job! It even has its own wikipedia page!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax
I was surprised to learn that beeswax and carnauba wax can be (or become) somewhat acidic.

Steve in Peoria, walking that narrow line between enjoying the beauty of a polished surface and just being OCD about it.
steelbikeguy is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 02:12 AM
  #154  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The rest of the brake stuff showed up today, SwissStop FlashPRO BXP, a nice bit of kit with toe-in adjustment and enough spacers to fit the narrow rims. Quality looks good and the pad holders appear to be made by TRP, the BXP pad compound well I will let you know how I like it after the Titan is together.
The Starting weight of the Mafac LS was 332 grams without tire guides installed, the finished weight is 329 grams, so -3 grams at least it doesn't weigh more then when I started. I will be using The Mafac Course 435 Delrin drilled levers which should weigh less than 150 grams, so a total brakeset weight of 479 grams estimated, around 100 grams more than the lightest of the CLB pro, TZ spec stuff.
I don't know if I like the black pad holders, so in the morning I may strip the anodizing and polish them. That's all for tonight, my best wishes for everyone.




: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-12-19, 08:59 PM
  #155  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I needed wheel set for the Titan, more or less to just hold the bike up during assembly and until the weight weenie wheel set is built up. Looking in all the usual places I found this rather eclectic wheelset, Campagnolo early Nuovo Tipo large flange hubs (120 mm spacing), stainless straight gage spokes, laced to Campagnolo Moskva 80 semi aero clincher rims that have the look of the earliest aero rims of the 70's. Sort of a dogs breakfast but I like the set. These no doubt will end up in a daily rider build at a later date.

__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 01:33 AM
  #156  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,351
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have those same hubs laced stainless to Mavic Championatt due Monde (which means "light polished old tubulars). They were on my Titan for the same reason, and now that the intended wheels are built, they're going on a Raleigh International. Very simple, straightforward hubs.

Amazing the coincidences.

On that note, the green reflection in the photos. Next time, hide the Kryptonite.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-13-19 at 01:37 AM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 03-13-19, 08:47 PM
  #157  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I have those same hubs laced stainless to Mavic Championatt due Monde (which means "light polished old tubulars). They were on my Titan for the same reason, and now that the intended wheels are built, they're going on a Raleigh International. Very simple, straightforward hubs.

Amazing the coincidences.

On that note, the green reflection in the photos. Next time, hide the Kryptonite.
Hi Robbie,
I suspect you may have a Mafac center pull fetish as we seem to have the same taste in bikes and parts, it is remarkable. The Kryptonite is really my wife's cutting board, next photos I think I will move It.
I envy everyone with wheel building skills, I know its just a geometric puzzle with 72 pieces but for some reason I am really hesitant to take a wheel project on. A good wheel builder can produce a wheel that withstands heavy use and stays true for years, a bad wheel builder can use all the same parts and produces something that gives nothing but grief. So that's my fear of wheel building. To put this another way, it's the difference between a concert violinist and a nine year old at their first recital, the tools are the same but the result is worlds apart.
This is also my problem with finding a wheel builder, I think great wheels are the most important part of building a great bike!!!
Here's my grail Mafac levers not for this build but maybe the next, date stamped 03-76.





One More Kryptonite photo.




: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 10:44 AM
  #158  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,351
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Hi Robbie,
I suspect you may have a center pull fetish as we seem to have the same taste in bikes and parts, it is remarkable.

A good wheel builder can produce a wheel that withstands heavy use and stays true for years, a bad wheel builder can use all the same parts and produces something that gives nothing but grief.

And it needs to be done sober. Do not ask me how I know that, but suffice it to say that @speedevil is now my wheel builder of choice.

One More Kryptonite photo.



: Mike
I quite agree.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 04:47 PM
  #159  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every once and a while when you least expect it something falls into your lap and I had to jump on it,,, A HI-E wheelset pre 1977 with almost zero use, 120 mm spacing, 24/16 asymmetric rear hub with matching 40 hole Hi-E rim, 36 hole standard Hi-E front hub with Hi-E rim, Hi-E death skewers, and un-polished stainless butted spokes. The total weight for the wheelset was quoted as 1353 grams plus 64 grams for the skewers. Tires are also on order, I decided on Tufo S33 Pro 700 X 24 tan wall and Tufo tape, the tires weigh in at 310 grams each.
So these will be the final end item wheelset for the Titan and should be at my door by Friday, I am very excited. It also seems I'm channeling RobbieTunes in my parts selection, the coincidences just keep happening.















: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 05:44 PM
  #160  
steelbikeguy
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Every once and a while when you least expect it something falls into your lap and I had to jump on it,,, A HI-E wheelset pre 1977 with almost zero use, 120 mm spacing, 24/16 asymmetric rear hub with matching 40 hole Hi-E rim, 36 hole standard Hi-E front hub with Hi-E rim, Hi-E death skewers, and un-polished stainless butted spokes. The total weight for the wheelset was quoted as 1353 grams plus 64 grams for the skewers. Tires are also on order, I decided on Tufo S33 Pro 700 X 24 tan wall and Tufo tape, the tires weigh in at 310 grams each.
So these will be the final end item wheelset for the Titan and should be at my door by Friday, I am very excited. It also seems I'm channeling RobbieTunes in my parts selection, the coincidences just keep happening.



: Mike
beautiful! If I had a weight-weenie bike with vertical dropouts, I'd consider these too.

I hope that the term "death skewers" was tongue in cheek... They aren't suited for unmodified horizontal dropouts, but should be fine for verticals.
I've been using the front Hi-E skewer for ... 40 years?? No problems here. I've heard people complain that the little rod came loose from the aluminum cone. I don't know if it was due to a manufacturing tolerance, or if it was due to them really applying a lot of force to the rod. Personally, I snug them up good, but that's all. It's certainly a lot less clamping force than conventional QR's, but seems more than adequate. I guess if there is any question, smack the top of the wheel with a fist and see if you can dislodge the wheel.

If you do need more clamping force, you could try to find the track version of the skewer. It has wrench flats on the cone instead of the rod. I managed to pick up one of these somewhere along the way... (shown next to a regular Hi-E skewer)



Steve in Peoria
steelbikeguy is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:23 PM
  #161  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi steelbikeguy,
Thank you for your feedback on the skewers, yes the term "death skewers" was used in humor (not very well). The flats milled into your set are a very good idea and provides enough peace of mind, I may do that, I will see what the "lockup" is like when the wheelset arrives.
It feels good to be this close to completion, this bike has been a long time in the building phase and I have to thank you and everyone else in providing inspiration, support, and advice in making this project a reality and on track.

: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 06:51 PM
  #162  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,351
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using the skewers with no problems, but I'm not sure I'd bomb down Thunder Ridge on them. This reminds me that I really need to polish them.

I like the idea of the machined wrench flats. There are, of course, aftermarket Ti QR skewers that are quite light, as well. The cheaper, none QR ones are a waste of money, as the allen-head sockets ream out quickly, and poof! no good.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-17-19 at 07:57 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:04 PM
  #163  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another component is in final configuration and ready or installation, bars, stem, and levers. it was a bit of a wait for the Mafac delrin levers but there here, now for the glamour shots.









646 Grams total for the assembly.


The Mafac delrin levers weigh 151 grams for the set.


: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 07:13 PM
  #164  
repechage
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,263
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
I'm using the skewers with no problems, but I'm not sure I'd bomb down Thunder Ridge on them. This reminds me that I really need to polish them.


I like the idea of the machined wrench flats. There are, of course, aftermarket Ti QR skewers that are quite light, as well. The cheaper, none QR ones are a waste of money, as the allen-head sockets ream out quickly, and poof! no good.

The machined flats were for the Pista version originally.
The "Death" skewer was for the all aluminum one, no steel.

Those are nice HI-E wheels by the way but have galv plated spokes, "UNpolished"stainless is an interesting claim.
If you can find Richard Hammond, aka Captian America from the 70's, he can give you his gravity storm experience and new fork he had made for his Geoffrey Butler when using one of the all aluminum versions in front.
repechage is offline  
Old 03-17-19, 11:12 PM
  #165  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
The machined flats were for the Pista version originally.
The "Death" skewer was for the all aluminum one, no steel.

Those are nice HI-E wheels by the way but have galv plated spokes, "UNpolished"stainless is an interesting claim.
If you can find Richard Hammond, aka Captian America from the 70's, he can give you his gravity storm experience and new fork he had made for his Geoffrey Butler when using one of the all aluminum versions in front.
Hi Repechage,
Unpolished stainless is a interesting claim,and I will agree with you that whats there does appear to be galvanized spokes, I will go with your call. Thanks for pointing that out as I did have my doubts.
Thanks Again: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 10:07 AM
  #166  
steelbikeguy
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage View Post
The machined flats were for the Pista version originally.
The "Death" skewer was for the all aluminum one, no steel.
I hadn't heard of a version with an aluminum rod... that's a frightening thought! Boy... wouldn't you get some idea of how stretchy it was when you were tightening it up?

Or was it just that they would break while riding? (just conjecture. no idea if it happened)

Harlan wasn't afraid of pushing the boundaries of what might work, but I'm surprised that he would take it this far.


Steve in Peoria
steelbikeguy is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 10:39 AM
  #167  
crank_addict
Senior Member
 
crank_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,344
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy View Post
I hadn't heard of a version with an aluminum rod... that's a frightening thought! Boy... wouldn't you get some idea of how stretchy it was when you were tightening it up?

Or was it just that they would break while riding? (just conjecture. no idea if it happened)

Harlan wasn't afraid of pushing the boundaries of what might work, but I'm surprised that he would take it this far.


Steve in Peoria
Now THAT'S an 'understatement'! Do you recall at the CR meet (2018) and Larry Black addressing the group about his visit at Harlan's shop? Specifically the concrete pour above. Belly ache laugh.
crank_addict is offline  
Old 03-18-19, 11:09 AM
  #168  
steelbikeguy
Senior Member
 
steelbikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 1,588
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Now THAT'S an 'understatement'! Do you recall at the CR meet (2018) and Larry Black addressing the group about his visit at Harlan's shop? Specifically the concrete pour above. Belly ache laugh.
that was the first time I had heard about any questionable design decisions by Harlan. For a mechanical engineer, it sounds like he should have known better. Still, I have lower expectations of Harlan when discussing buildings than when considering basic performance of an aluminum rod.

IIRC, he said he had worked as an engineer on the Lockheed C-5 cargo aircraft. No idea what sort of function he served. He may have entirely missed the topic known as "validation testing". Similarly, he probably wasn't aware of the whole subject of "product liability". I wonder if anyone was injured by his products?? ... or buildings....

On the subject of testing new designs, there was an interview with Tom Ritchey on The Outspoken Cyclist where he mentions some of his early designs and the feedback he would get from Jobst Brandt. A pretty interesting interview in general....
http://www.wjcu.org/vault/p/files/au...2019-02-23.mp3

Steve in Peoria
steelbikeguy is offline  
Old 03-23-19, 09:48 PM
  #169  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Things have been busy today, everything showed up at once!!! The Hi-E wheelset showed up with galvanized spokes in wonderful condition along with the Tufo S33 tires.



Rather than polish rims or stretch tires I mocked the bike up and I'm really excited!!!












And because this project is almost done... A ratty Raleigh Professional Mk IV.









: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 12:25 PM
  #170  
crank_addict
Senior Member
 
crank_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,344
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Things have been busy today, everything showed up at once!!! The Hi-E wheelset showed up with galvanized spokes in wonderful condition along with the Tufo S33 tires.



Rather than polish rims or stretch tires I mocked the bike up and I'm really excited!!!



: Mike
Amazing survivor of a wheelset. I had seen the auction listing and pondered! Personally, I think it would be more interesting leaving original and no high polish. The standard galvi spokes further its character.

The Tufo tubular is a safe choice. Not the premium delivery ride and eat a few watts more than others, but very reliable, consistent quality and made as if machined on a lathe. Skins look good too but only wish Tufo would reduce the NASCARized sidewall label. For chiseling weight, their S3 Lite in 19mm tubular are 190-195gm.

I would scoop for silks on this killa weight weenie machine.

Last edited by crank_addict; 03-24-19 at 08:18 PM.
crank_addict is offline  
Old 03-25-19, 10:20 PM
  #171  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 113

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
Amazing survivor of a wheelset. I had seen the auction listing and pondered! Personally, I think it would be more interesting leaving original and no high polish. The standard galvi spokes further its character.

The Tufo tubular is a safe choice. Not the premium delivery ride and eat a few watts more than others, but very reliable, consistent quality and made as if machined on a lathe. Skins look good too but only wish Tufo would reduce the NASCARized sidewall label. For chiseling weight, their S3 Lite in 19mm tubular are 190-195gm.

I would scoop for silks on this killa weight weenie machine.
Hi crank_addict,
I agree with you no high polish just a thorough cleaning and a coat of preservative wax. I have a feeling that this set of Tufo's may move to the "next bike" project and I will find tubular's that are a better match for the Titan. Sorry about the late reply, work is taking it's toll. Speaking of next bike projects what are you working on?
: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 10:02 AM
  #172  
crank_addict
Senior Member
 
crank_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,344
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so close yet so far to completing my build. Other and (other's) bikes taking priority.

Anyways, here's a an interesting read on 'flexy' bikes.
crank_addict is offline  
Old 03-27-19, 11:41 AM
  #173  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,688
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
I'm so close yet so far to completing my build. Other and (other's) bikes taking priority.

Anyways, here's a an interesting read on 'flexy' bikes.
Only takes one look at Sean Kelly's powerful legs to prove that "flexy" bikes, like the Vitus 979's he rode to numerous victories in the 80's, can be ridden just as fast, and faster, than stiff frames.....
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 04-09-19, 12:02 PM
  #174  
crank_addict
Senior Member
 
crank_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,344
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 'Alpine Special' is rolling. Initial impression - its exceeded my expectations. Furthermore I have confidence in the component selection and wheelset, the goal of easing any stress or integrity of the frameset.

I've yet to complete a few things such as the quill pedals build, lightened Ti axles, rear rack for consideration in cc light touring. Not to my full satisfaction are the all black tires but no complaint in the price of only $25 each for new Vittoria Corsa CX tubular.

Laughably climbs walls. No stress on the frame as mashing is not going to happen with this ride. Shifts with ease. Everything is silent but for the sound of the tires. NO noise from drive train, creaks, brakes. Love it.

So far I'm being conservative with descents and tested to 35mph. Stable but I predict a handful if in the 40-50 mph and during braking. We shall see...

Fun tidbits~ counted 8 frame clamps, two on the down tube (Suntour and Campy - hogged out), three generic 28.6 on the top tube, two Specialized flattened to secure the Ti bottle cage, finally one Shimano on the chainstay.

I suppose the handful of Ti and aluminum fasteners make up the weight difference of all those clamps.

DIY suede short grip with hemp twine.

The Ti axle skewers have yet to be trimmed (after I finalize the rear rack setup) but the levers remind me of the early Cinelli Bivalent hubset levers.

Fitted 6 speed in the 120mm spaced rear, hidden bailout up front - triple. Wide range, baby!












Last edited by crank_addict; 04-09-19 at 12:36 PM.
crank_addict is offline  
Old 04-09-19, 03:50 PM
  #175  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,351
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty
RobbieTunes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.