Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mercier 300

Old 03-21-19, 01:13 PM
  #26  
Narhay 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will do some digging once I am home and see if I can find any numbers.

The reynolds decal is certainly boom era as mentioned. The decals are the same as my 1972 px-10 except there is only one fork decal on the drive side and it has reddish font instead of the typical green. Maybe a French way to save half a cent per bike or it has been lost along the way.

I have also potentially found a damaged stem bar clamp after reviewing pictures this afternoon. Undersized French diameter bar and overzealous clamping?

Narhay is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 02:37 PM
  #27  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,515
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ouch. Yeah I'd change that stem out.
TenGrainBread is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 02:43 PM
  #28  
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!
 
unworthy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,153
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red font in a 531 decal usually meant "SL" or later was called "531 PRO" (at least for the complete tubeset) but not sure if that's the case for fork-blade decals or if (as you think) it may be a case of using what was on-hand that day. Also not sure if the SL/Pro 531 sets came in metric versions but that would not have been a factor for just fork blades.

Last edited by unworthy1; 03-21-19 at 02:48 PM.
unworthy1 is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 03:12 PM
  #29  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,385
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Narhay View Post
I will do some digging once I am home and see if I can find any numbers.


The reynolds decal is certainly boom era as mentioned. The decals are the same as my 1972 px-10 except there is only one fork decal on the drive side and it has reddish font instead of the typical green. Maybe a French way to save half a cent per bike or it has been lost along the way.


I have also potentially found a damaged stem bar clamp after reviewing pictures this afternoon. Undersized French diameter bar and overzealous clamping?
Red 531 versus green 531 is indicative of 531SL (Special Lightweight). This was an even thinner gauge of 531 favoured by some French manufactures for their pro racing models (i.e late 1970s Peugeot PY10). However, you said it has a 26.4mm post which is indicative of 19/22g seat tube, which is the heavier of the two options for the butted 531 set of the era. Had this been 531SL, the seat post would have been 26.8mm
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 03:37 PM
  #30  
Aubergine 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Seattle and Reims
Posts: 2,777
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay View Post
I have also potentially found a damaged stem bar clamp after reviewing pictures this afternoon. Undersized French diameter bar and overzealous clamping?
Possibly not. 3TTT made stems for the typical French sizes.
__________________
Keeping Seattle’s bike shops in business since 1978
Aubergine is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 05:29 PM
  #31  
Narhay 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Date code July 72. No other codes or serial numbers I could find on components or the bike itself.


Unfortunately cracked stem clamp. Will have to find a french stem now.
Narhay is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 07:34 PM
  #32  
satbuilder 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1,195

Bikes: 1969/70 Legnano Roma, 1971 Guerciotti, 1972 Cinelli SC, 1973 Bianchi Team, 173 Colnago Super, 1974 Marnati Corsa, 1974 ish Motobecane CT, 1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia,Tesch S-22, 1983 Peugeot Mixte

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a ‘71 Mercier 300. Had it since new. Mine has chrome socks, 531 tubing throughout. Will try to get pics up
satbuilder is offline  
Old 03-21-19, 10:35 PM
  #33  
Insidious C. 
Crash Test Dummy
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 797

Bikes: Dawes, Williams, Raleigh, Daccordi, Scott, Univega, Mercier, Vitus, J. Anquetil, Specialized

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder View Post
I have a ‘71 Mercier 300. Had it since new. Mine has chrome socks, 531 tubing throughout. Will try to get pics up
Mine also has chrome as well as different graphics. I hope to learn whether Narhay's bike, and others like it, appear different because of the model year or perhaps because it is a special model. To me it looks just like the Gan team bikes. Any any case it is a fine looking bike!
Insidious C. is online now  
Old 03-22-19, 06:13 AM
  #34  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,385
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Insidious C. View Post
Mine also has chrome as well as different graphics. I hope to learn whether Narhay's bike, and others like it, appear different because of the model year or perhaps because it is a special model. To me it looks just like the Gan team bikes. Any any case it is a fine looking bike!
The boom era GAN-Mercier Equipe model is readily distinguishable from the more common 300 model. They were Campagnolo (Nuovo) Record equipped and consequently used a Campagnolo dropout, making them identifiable even as a bare frameset. A friend of mine had one that he owned from 1974 to 1983. We had watched live, as Poulidor finished 2nd to Merckx, yet again, in the final sprint at the 1974 World Championships in Montreal.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-22-19 at 06:20 AM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 07:06 AM
  #35  
satbuilder 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1,195

Bikes: 1969/70 Legnano Roma, 1971 Guerciotti, 1972 Cinelli SC, 1973 Bianchi Team, 173 Colnago Super, 1974 Marnati Corsa, 1974 ish Motobecane CT, 1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia,Tesch S-22, 1983 Peugeot Mixte

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

satbuilder is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 11:21 AM
  #36  
Narhay 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder View Post


i like this very much. I am partial to green and chrome. Looks like yours has an earlier LJ1000 rd or maybe an sx610?
Narhay is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 11:38 AM
  #37  
satbuilder 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1,195

Bikes: 1969/70 Legnano Roma, 1971 Guerciotti, 1972 Cinelli SC, 1973 Bianchi Team, 173 Colnago Super, 1974 Marnati Corsa, 1974 ish Motobecane CT, 1971 Mercier 300, 1977/78 Colnago Mexico, 1982 Pinarello Italia,Tesch S-22, 1983 Peugeot Mixte

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all Simplex Criterium.

To be totally honest, my sister was the original owner of the bike. I purchased it from her in the mid/late '70s That sort of explains the extended seat post and stem. It has all original equipment, except for tires, spokes, bar tape, cables and housings. Kickstand is missing though.

Last edited by satbuilder; 03-22-19 at 11:41 AM.
satbuilder is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 02:03 PM
  #38  
Narhay 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by satbuilder View Post
It's all Simplex Criterium.

To be totally honest, my sister was the original owner of the bike. I purchased it from her in the mid/late '70s That sort of explains the extended seat post and stem. It has all original equipment, except for tires, spokes, bar tape, cables and housings. Kickstand is missing though.
I see the rd better now. I have mafac racers on my peugeot and I am interested to see how these first gen dura ace compare.
Narhay is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 02:52 PM
  #39  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,385
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Narhay View Post
I see the rd better now. I have mafac racers on my peugeot and I am interested to see how these first gen dura ace compare.
1st generation Dura-Ace side-pull brakes were boss in the mid-1970s. They were 40% less expensive than Campagnolo, with all the performance and drilled levers to boot. The quick release wasn't as nice and they didn't have the patented toothed washer but you could buy something that performed the same function for 2 cents. MAFAC Racers can perform almost as well. They have just as much stopping power but aren't quite as stiff. They're more tunable due to the number of set-up parameters but this also makes them more difficult to set-up and prone to changes in settings. The first generation Dura-Ace side-pull brakes were my favourite side-pull brakes for over a decade.

Last edited by T-Mar; 03-22-19 at 02:57 PM.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 06:05 PM
  #40  
Narhay 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
1st generation Dura-Ace side-pull brakes were boss in the mid-1970s. They were 40% less expensive than Campagnolo, with all the performance and drilled levers to boot. The quick release wasn't as nice and they didn't have the patented toothed washer but you could buy something that performed the same function for 2 cents. MAFAC Racers can perform almost as well. They have just as much stopping power but aren't quite as stiff. They're more tunable due to the number of set-up parameters but this also makes them more difficult to set-up and prone to changes in settings. The first generation Dura-Ace side-pull brakes were my favourite side-pull brakes for over a decade.
I have to agree that the quality of the DA brakes were surprisingly good. The quick release is slightly less refined than my record brakes.

I am assuming a set of cane creek hoods will fit on the DA levers.
Narhay is offline  
Old 03-22-19, 06:22 PM
  #41  
Narhay 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive also found the serial number in the head tube badge. 383759.

Not that serials are ever as straightforward but 1973, august, 3759th bike? The mid 1972 component and boom reynolds decal support this as well.
Narhay is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.