Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi Race 1974

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi Race 1974

Old 03-28-19, 03:51 PM
  #1  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Gazelle Champion Mondial Semi Race 1974

It's been a while since I posted something on this forum. I've been wrenching more than cycling (only commuting actually) and finally decided to skip/postpone some projects on my list for now and focus on this Gazelle bike I found last year. The bike is in my size so I am planning on using it for some recreational cycling. I already posted about this bike here.

The bike needs some good cleaning and a good overhaul in general, it seems like it hasn't been used for a long time.
The paintjob is not in a very good condition, especially the top tube which has been touched up. Also, I found I small dent on the top tube, which is sad but stuctural-wise shouldn't be a problem.

Here some more pictures of the bike.





alexnagui is offline  
Likes For alexnagui:
Old 03-28-19, 04:06 PM
  #2  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
The bike is more or less the standard version of Gazelle Semi Race (version G8) which can be found in the Gazelle catalogue from 1970. The chain guard is missing and the rear wheel has been changed. Brooks B73 saddle is probably a later change. The rest seems to be original though.


Last edited by alexnagui; 03-28-19 at 04:19 PM. Reason: extra info
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-28-19, 04:11 PM
  #3  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Here are some pictures of the paintwork and the dent in the top tube (you can see it in the first picture). Especially the paint of the top tube is in bad condition, I might try to fix it a little bit.




Last edited by alexnagui; 03-28-19 at 04:18 PM. Reason: extra info
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-28-19, 04:59 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal, for now
Posts: 2,474

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 452 Posts
Bondo to the rescue!

Fill the dent. Sand it smooth. Spray paint to cover it up.
Bad Lag is offline  
Old 03-28-19, 05:31 PM
  #5  
Overdoing projects
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, former republic of the Netherlands
Posts: 2,430

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 669 Posts
Nice details and parts on there. Definitely needs some work but a good cleaning will already do wonders.

Any plans for it?
JaccoW is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 12:41 AM
  #6  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Bondo to the rescue!

Fill the dent. Sand it smooth. Spray paint to cover it up.
Yes, I was thinking about that and might give it a try. Wondering what's hiding under that layer of touch up paint. It could be that the previous owner already tried to hide the dent. I am not planning on respraying the frame completely though.

PS. Speaking of the previous owner. There is a "tvm Gazelle team" sticker on the rear fender. This has to do with TVM cycling team, I suppose.



PPS. All the pictures I post seem to be way too big. Is that so? What do I do with them so they look a bit better?
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 12:57 AM
  #7  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Nice details and parts on there. Definitely needs some work but a good cleaning will already do wonders.

Any plans for it?
Thanks, Jacco! I already started disassembling the bike so I can clean the frame and the parts. I want to keep it more or less original but want to change the handlebars to drop bars. I am not sure if I am gonna keep the plastic Simplex group.

I do have a tool for Stronglight cranks, however I realized yesterday that I do not own a 16mm socket to remove the crank bolts so i couldn't procede with the cranks

alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 03:48 PM
  #8  
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,944

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked 4,348 Times in 1,702 Posts
That's the one you posted in December, right? Nice. I like that it is an early one. Those "G" frames have a quality of their own. Glad to see you got around to it.

Many here will find the kickstand disturbing, but it's useful, and since the frame was designed for one, it is a nice asset:

__________________
I wanna be like you!


non-fixie is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 03:59 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,188
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3734 Post(s)
Liked 3,175 Times in 2,084 Posts
-----

wrt tool for Stronglight crank removal -

if you can get a standard 16mm socket for a socket wrench set it can be ground down on a grinding wheel or with a Dremel tool to make it thinwall so as to fit in the space available.

it is possible to purchase individual sockets at tool and hardware stores.

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 04:16 PM
  #10  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Well, I have removed everything but the cranks and BB from the bike. I have to get a proper socket for my wrench before I can go on.
The tubes seem to be in a very good condition from the inside, by the way.


The frame after some wrenching but the cranks still need to be removed

I was wondering about the lugs when I got the bike because they do not look like typical Champion Mondial Bocama lugs I had seen. These are probably more typical to older Gazelle CM like this one (my guess is pre-75 ??)



BCM lugs

The head tube lug seems to have a little dent on it. Is this normal?


A little dent on the head tube lug

I am a bit surprised that the lights wiring is not internal as on other old Gazelle bikes I've seen so far. There are simply no holes in the frame for the wire. The wire was attached to the frame by means of some tie straps. I am wondering if the bike came like that originally.



Lights wiring


Some kind of vintage tie straps. Look better than the modern ones. Any ideas if these are original?
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 04:38 PM
  #11  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Yes, you're right! That's the very same bike from December. I haven't seen many of these old ones around.
The kickstand will most likely find its place on the bike, but I am not sure about the rear rack. I will see.

By the way, what are those brakets on the back of the fork and around the fork ends (they are held in place by the QR)? Something for mounting front racks? I am sure that you know the answer!


At first, I thought that this bracket was welded to the fork




Originally Posted by non-fixie
That's the one you posted in December, right? Nice. I like that it is an early one. Those "G" frames have a quality of their own. Glad to see you got around to it.

Many here will find the kickstand disturbing, but it's useful, and since the frame was designed for one, it is a nice asset:

alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 04:46 PM
  #12  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

wrt tool for Stronglight crank removal -

if you can get a standard 16mm socket for a socket wrench set it can be ground down on a grinding wheel or with a Dremel tool to make it thinwall so as to fit in the space available.

it is possible to purchase individual sockets at tool and hardware stores.

-----
I also see that Park Tool used to make a special tool for that (CCW-16). I will try to find a thin-walled socket that hopefully will do the job.
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 06:06 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,188
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3734 Post(s)
Liked 3,175 Times in 2,084 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
I also see that Park Tool used to make a special tool for that (CCW-16). I will try to find a thin-walled socket that hopefully will do the job.
------

you may find that a store-bought thinwall socket be not thin eno'

a low cost asian standard socket is adequate to begin with

it can be mounted on the arbor of an electric drill to grind it down

once you get a tool for this application it will also be convenient for Zeus where the space is even tighter

16mm fixing bolt paired with standard size (22mm) removal threads

one fringe benefit of a 16mm fixing bolt is that it makes it difficult for someone to steal the machine's crankset

you are going at things very nicely

shall look forward to following the progress as matters move forward

"nowhere but in the low countries would one encounter a Reynolds tubing frame built with ESGE plate style bridges!"

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-30-19 at 07:14 AM. Reason: addition
juvela is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 06:45 PM
  #14  
Overdoing projects
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, former republic of the Netherlands
Posts: 2,430

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 669 Posts
Where in Rotterdam are you located? You are welcome to drop by and borrow some of my tools but a socket wrench is always useful when working on older bikes.
JaccoW is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 03:28 AM
  #15  
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,944

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked 4,348 Times in 1,702 Posts
Those fittings do look like they would support a rack, but wouldn't that interfere with the front light?
non-fixie is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 06:49 AM
  #16  
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Shady Pines Retirement Fort Wayne, In
Posts: 29,620

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 1,401 Posts
I love that chain guard on the crankset! I bet there are thousands of them languishing in back rooms and land fills.

I agree that hardware on the fork looks like it is for a removable rack.
__________________
One morning you wake up, the girl is gone, the bikes are gone, all that's left behind is a pair of old tires and a tube of tubular glue, all squeezed out"

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Bianchigirll is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 07:22 AM
  #17  
verktyg
 
verktyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,035

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 652 Posts
Bocama Professional Medium Point lugs

Originally Posted by alexnagui
I was wondering about the lugs when I got the bike because they do not look like typical Champion Mondial Bocama lugs I had seen. These are probably more typical to older Gazelle CM like this one (my guess is pre-75 ??)



BCM lugs

The head tube lug seems to have a little dent on it. Is this normal?

Bocama Professional medium point lugs, usually found on mid price range models in the early 70's like the Gitane Tour de France.



The dent in the lug probably occurred while the frame was being brazed. The lug was pushed down at that point while it was red hot and dead soft to close a gap with the top tube. Too much pressure was applied.

Gazelles were not very common in the US and don't get much respect. I have 2 NOS Gazelle frames: a 1973 Champion Mondial A frame and a 1994 Champion Mondial AB frame. The 1994 Frame is made of Reynolds 531C tubing.




Because of copyright issues in Germany, the "Champion Mondial" frame (all versions) was simply named "Champion".

verktyg
__________________
Don't believe everything you think! History is written by those who weren't there....

Chas. ;-)


Last edited by verktyg; 03-30-19 at 07:27 AM.
verktyg is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 07:32 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,188
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3734 Post(s)
Liked 3,175 Times in 2,084 Posts
-----
@non-fixie -

please to refreshing me poor memory

did you build up your example from a frameset or take it in as a complete machine?

---

be that an EKLA crown on our subject fiets, or perhaps a modified Vagner?

-----
juvela is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 09:32 AM
  #19  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
------

you may find that a store-bought thinwall socket be not thin eno'

a low cost asian standard socket is adequate to begin with

it can be mounted on the arbor of an electric drill to grind it down

once you get a tool for this application it will also be convenient for Zeus where the space is even tighter

16mm fixing bolt paired with standard size (22mm) removal threads

one fringe benefit of a 16mm fixing bolt is that it makes it difficult for someone to steal the machine's crankset

you are going at things very nicely

shall look forward to following the progress as matters move forward

"nowhere but in the low countries would one encounter a Reynolds tubing frame built with ESGE plate style bridges!"

-----
I have removed the bolts today This is the socket I used, it doesn't look like a thin-walled though, does it? But it worked just fine.

16mm socket

Owning a proper tool would be convinient, but I am a bit surprised that Zeus crank bolts are not the same as Campy ones. I didn't know that they require a 16mm socket/tool.
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 09:52 AM
  #20  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Where in Rotterdam are you located? You are welcome to drop by and borrow some of my tools but a socket wrench is always useful when working on older bikes.
Jacco, I live quite central (near Stadsarchief, Bird and Grafisch lyceum). Which part of Rotterdam do you live in? Anyway, thank you for your offer to come by! I went to this Steel Rides bike shop, which is 5 min from me, to borrow a socket. Have you been there? The guy is into vintage bikes and even builds his own frames.

I do own a socket wrench, it is indeed one of the most important tools for a bike mechanic.
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 10:06 AM
  #21  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I love that chain guard on the crankset! I bet there are thousands of them languishing in back rooms and land fills.

I agree that hardware on the fork looks like it is for a removable rack.
It's a Simplex Chainguard, and I agree with you that it shouldn't be a problem to find one.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Those fittings do look like they would support a rack, but wouldn't that interfere with the front light?
I am wondering what kind of a rack could possibly work with those fittings. I am gonna check if there are maybe any markings on them.
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 02:45 PM
  #22  
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 10,944

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked 4,348 Times in 1,702 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----
@non-fixie -

please to refreshing me poor memory

did you build up your example from a frameset or take it in as a complete machine?

---

be that an EKLA crown on our subject fiets, or perhaps a modified Vagner?

-----
I got mine as a complete bike from a friendly trader and made very few changes. Just the saddle, pedals, bars and the usual suspects like cables and tires. This is how I got it:



I suspect the OP's crown is an EKLA. Purely based on statistics, though, as EKLA crowns were more or less standard here with the major builders.
__________________
I wanna be like you!


non-fixie is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 03:23 PM
  #23  
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
alexnagui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
I knew it, this Gazelle came with a bonus!
"De Witte Kat, fits perfectly in your bottom bracket shell"
Definitely gonna keep this one
alexnagui is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 04:51 PM
  #24  
Overdoing projects
 
JaccoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rotterdam, former republic of the Netherlands
Posts: 2,430

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 669 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Jacco, I live quite central (near Stadsarchief, Bird and Grafisch lyceum). Which part of Rotterdam do you live in? Anyway, thank you for your offer to come by! I went to this Steel Rides bike shop, which is 5 min from me, to borrow a socket. Have you been there? The guy is into vintage bikes and even builds his own frames.

I do own a socket wrench, it is indeed one of the most important tools for a bike mechanic.
The West near Marconiplein. I hadn't heard of them but they are right around the corner of Central Station. I pass that once a week for dancing lessons in the evening! Seems like I will have to take a look some time.
Usually I go to SimpleBikeStore or Zwaan Bikes which is on the other side of Central Station.
JaccoW is offline  
Old 03-30-19, 05:28 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
juvela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alta California
Posts: 14,188
Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3734 Post(s)
Liked 3,175 Times in 2,084 Posts
------

thanks so much @non-fixie!

---
@alexnagui -

if the Gabelkrone be EKLA it should be so marked on its underparts -




-----
juvela is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.