Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Am I shrinking, wising up, or just getting old?

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Am I shrinking, wising up, or just getting old?

Old 05-07-19, 07:10 AM
  #51  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Have you tried Noodles? I canít ride Cinelli bars anymore. I need a flat top and less drop. On Cinelli bars I canít comfortably reach the drops, and feel like I am sliding down/forward on the hoods, unless the bar is rotated up so it looks ridiculous.
due ruote is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 07:48 AM
  #52  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 9,151

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Though I can still ride a 56 with comfort, I now feel equally comfortable when riding a 54. I never could get a 54 to fit and, sadly, sold this 1971 Masi Grand Criterium because of the size(54). It was just a tad too small and I tried hard to get it to work for me. No dice...


As I understand it, the padding between our bone joints hardens and shrinks with the aging process. The process is referred to as ossification, I think. Not sure if I explained that correctly but these days, I ride this old Bianchi, the same size as the Masi and have a darn near perfect fit...
__________________
Learn how to find, restore and maintain vintage road bicycles at... MY "TEN SPEEDS"
randyjawa is online now  
Old 05-07-19, 08:38 AM
  #53  
Last ride 76 
Senior Member
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)
Posts: 875

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 30 Posts
My old racing bike, 58cm, with position unchanged after 40 years, still feels like home, esp riding on the hoods. How much of that is "muscle memory" vs. what a bike fitter would recommend today I have no idea. What I do find, is that I'm comfortable riding on 55-56's which used to feel cramped and not as comfortable riding the 60's which used to feel fine. I don't feel as "in charge" on the bigger frames, sort of like when I was a kid riding my dad's bike. (Not to the same degree, but that same feeling). I was surprised to find that I am still roughly the same height as I was at 20, after accounting forhair loss.


I think it is very much about flexibility, and my lessened ability to "manage" unforeseen "events" and less about my actual size. Strength plays a role in this as well. I find this to be true in skiing as well.
Last ride 76 is online now  
Old 05-07-19, 08:57 AM
  #54  
ollo_ollo
Senior Member
 
ollo_ollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Near Sublimity Orygun
Posts: 4,780

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looking down from my lofty, well ossified, nearly 79 years, I prescribe longer rides. My ideal size was somewhere between a 53 and 54 cm ST, but I accumulated a few rides both above & below that "just right" zone. All the larger, Frenchy Fit rides now feel big until I'm around 2 hours into my ride. Then, magically, everything is good again. So keep those larger frame bikes.

That "Shredder" video was traumatizing. There were fender stays that should have been saved! Don
ollo_ollo is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 09:09 AM
  #55  
Classtime 
Senior Member
 
Classtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,549

Bikes: 69 PX-10, 81 Medici, 84 Turbo, 87 IM, 2010 Milwaukee Road, 2011 RS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
If vintage seat posts get your saddle where it needs to be on 54s, go for it. But first, I would collect some one cm shorter stems and as you change your bar tape try a shorter stem. Most everyone I ride with rides smaller bikes than they "should" AND shorter stems, AND most of them are faster than me. So there is that. However, I shortened and raised my stem on my 28mm fat tire bike and I feel really old -- like I have given up and I'm just going for a cruise. I don't like that feeling.
Classtime is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 09:11 AM
  #56  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 5,427

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76 View Post
My old racing bike, 58cm, with position unchanged after 40 years, still feels like home, esp riding on the hoods. How much of that is "muscle memory" vs. what a bike fitter would recommend today I have no idea. What I do find, is that I'm comfortable riding on 55-56's which used to feel cramped and not as comfortable riding the 60's which used to feel fine. I don't feel as "in charge" on the bigger frames, sort of like when I was a kid riding my dad's bike. (Not to the same degree, but that same feeling). I was surprised to find that I am still roughly the same height as I was at 20, after accounting forhair loss.


I think it is very much about flexibility, and my lessened ability to "manage" unforeseen "events" and less about my actual size. Strength plays a role in this as well. I find this to be true in skiing as well.
I'm a solid 58 rider, but have a bunch of taller bikes that I enjoy riding. Hey Robbie, I fixed my problem when I had hip surgery. Just have Doc twist the ball joints out a few clicks...
curbtender is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 10:42 AM
  #57  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
When person "shrinks" as they age, doesn't the shrinkage happen mostly at the torso, when the cartilage between the segments of the spinal column compress with time? Will there be any significant shrinkage at the legs and arms??
Asking because I have long legs and arms, but my torso is on the short side. So far my saddle to crank distance had not changed since my college days. Same with my handlebar to saddle distance, which suppose I would feel any shrinkage first, as the upper torso is involved.....
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 05-07-19, 11:34 AM
  #58  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 38 Posts
I've heard these commercials proclaiming that shrinkage with age can be fixed with a blue pill. There are also these clinics I hear that can do the same thing.
seypat is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 09:43 AM
  #59  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
I'm a solid 58 rider, but have a bunch of taller bikes that I enjoy riding. Hey Robbie, I fixed my problem when I had hip surgery. Just have Doc twist the ball joints out a few clicks...
Well, ratchet-butt would be nicer than other names I've been called.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 09:45 AM
  #60  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
I've heard these commercials proclaiming that shrinkage with age can be fixed with a blue pill. There are also these clinics I hear that can do the same thing.
...dinner and a movie still works, plus you get to eat a meal and watch a flick.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 12:22 PM
  #61  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,928
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 38 Posts
Friends, I have some bad news.





I think brother Robbie has led us astray. I think this whole shrinkage thread was a diversion, a ruse, a trick created by him to mask something else. I believe Brother Robbie was seduced by a lovely Italian and he had to come up with a reason to add another beauty to his harem. I had to facilitate his new mistress to be this morning. After I laid eyes on her, I can totally understand his infatuation. As I was bringing her home, I kept looking back at her longingly in the rearview mirror. I've got her safely in another room, but now I'm having impure thoughts. I keep opening the door and peeking in at her like a perv. If I didn't have such outstanding moral fiber, I would be out riding her AND posting pics to social media. I might have to switch out the saddle for some old cruiser Gel seat to act as a chastity belt of sorts. At least until I can unite the two next week. Robbie, if you are reading this, it's time to come clean. Once people see your new mistress, they will understand and support you and her, together.


As for me, I need to find a church and go to confessional. Got to get rid of those impure, sinful thoughts. I'm not even a Catholic, either.
seypat is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 01:45 PM
  #62  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat View Post
I think brother Robbie has led us astray. I think this whole shrinkage thread was a diversion, a ruse, a trick created by him to mask something else. I believe Brother Robbie was seduced by a lovely Italian and he had to come up with a reason to add another beauty to his harem. I had to facilitate his new mistress to be this morning. After I laid eyes on her, I can totally understand his infatuation. As I was bringing her home, I kept looking back at her longingly in the rearview mirror. I've got her safely in another room, but now I'm having impure thoughts. I keep opening the door and peeking in at her like a perv. If I didn't have such outstanding moral fiber, I would be out riding her AND posting pics to social media. I might have to switch out the saddle for some old cruiser Gel seat to act as a chastity belt of sorts. At least until I can unite the two next week. Robbie, if you are reading this, it's time to come clean. Once people see your new mistress, they will understand and support you and her, together.

As for me, I need to find a church and go to confessional. Got to get rid of those impure, sinful thoughts.
Better slow down, you'll go blind.

But, the problem is in reverse. The Italian gal is a result of the problem, not the creator of said problem. Why would I go and chat up a Roman goddess if I didn't know if I had a chance? I mean, they turn on you soon enough. Nope, I had the problem and recruited her to fix it, or at least make me forget for a few hours. Note I said a few hours, not minutes.....

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-09-19 at 06:08 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-08-19, 07:36 PM
  #63  
Fahrenheit531 
50th Anniversary Edition
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,453

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount ('71) and Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 32 Posts
Accept things, take action.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-08-19, 10:05 PM
  #64  
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA
 
FrenchFit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,709

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
OK, so I've ridden 56cm for 15 years. Slow, fast, climbing, indifferent, always the same. Never any issues; thought I had it "dialed in" with a 56cm TT and 70mm stem, classic bars. And I rode the drops most of the time.

And now it's not working.

*&^%$#!

double-*&^%$#!!

My 54cm builds, including a very recent one, are um, for lack of a better word, below orgasmic as far as fit, but much better.

I'm inches from selling my 56cm fleet off (and it was slowly built and collected).

Do I hang weights from my ankles and hang by pullup bars? Maybe stretch it out a bit?

Do I go to zero-setback posts and slide the saddle up?

Or should I just hide my 56cm pride in proportions and ride the 54's?

What is your experience, as you age, re: sizing and fit?
Deteriorating minds want to know.
A couple years of yoga and general fitness regime and I went the other way, from 56 to 59/60cm. I sold off a number of bikes. Results may vary.
__________________
There is more to life than simply increasing its speed. - Gandhi
FrenchFit is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 06:38 AM
  #65  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,469
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
"Am I shrinking, wising up, or just getting old?"

Sounds like a "substitute" lyric for "My Generation".

Talkin 'bout my generation, talkin 'bout my generation,........
big chainring is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 07:16 AM
  #66  
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan
 
Deal4Fuji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,006

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '84 Team Fuji, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
"Am I shrinking, wising up, or just getting old?"

Sounds like a "substitute" lyric for "My Generation".

Talkin 'bout my generation, talkin 'bout my generation,........
Feelin' tired and chutzpah's d-d-down
(Squawkin' for more medication)
Soon we'll be Medicare-bound
(Talking 'bout my generation)
Mirror view: I'm awfully o-o-old
(Gawk at needed emendation)
Paunch and thighs corpulently rolled
(Hoggin' much alimentation)

This is my generation
We require veneration

"Why don't you all f-fade away?"
(Not what I'd call commendation)
That's what the k-kids look at us and s-s-say
(Grok SS* despoliation)
Some of us, can't deny, have I-id f-f-fixation
(Taught to us in education)
But we're raised as the "me" g-g-g-generation
(Each is a "me" generation)

Here's the next generation
They require veneration, babies

Lucky if I'm l-l-laid today
(Soft makes it hard: penetration)
To raise like a lid, I've got my w-w-way
(Talkin' 'bout Vi' medication)
And then I have got cause for c-c-celebration
(Talkin' 'bout try fornication)
And now many nights of relaxation
(Talkin' 'bout attenuation)

Member of generation
Will take a long vacation, maybe

Feelin' tired and chutzpah's d-down
(Squawkin' for more medication)
Gotta take care. . .I'll f-f-fall down
(Walkin' with some hesitation)
Mirror view: I'm awfully o-o-old
(Watchin' with repudiation)
Prostate size gotta be controlled
(Talking' 'bout my urination)

This is eye lacrimation
This is my lamentation, aging


...not mine, found on web
Deal4Fuji is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 04:03 PM
  #67  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
56cm frames are right in the popular range where there are buyers. 54cm frames are just cheaper. 54cm corresponds to the bike someone bought for his girlfriend she never used and is now for sale 20 or 40 years later. 54cm is approximately the French standard for 'Small' in the S-M-L size system. All kinds of 650B and cool city bikes in 54.

You get to play with a whole new cohort of bikes. What could be better?
63rickert is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 06:06 PM
  #68  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post
You get to play with a whole new cohort of bikes. What could be better?
Exactly.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-09-19, 07:38 PM
  #69  
rossiny
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 420

Bikes: Rossin,Raleigh,Casati

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well used to road race , back in the day. My friend was shorter and he road like a 54. I road a 58.. I always thought that his compact bike was lighter and faster and that was why he was faster>*>> so look at the bright side . Your gonna be faster on a smaller frame 🤓😆
rossiny is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 12:15 PM
  #70  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,894
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
OK, so I've ridden 56cm for 15 years. Slow, fast, climbing, indifferent, always the same. Never any issues; thought I had it "dialed in" with a 56cm TT and 70mm stem, classic bars. And I rode the drops most of the time.

And now it's not working.

*&^%$#!

double-*&^%$#!!

My 54cm builds, including a very recent one, are um, for lack of a better word, below orgasmic as far as fit, but much better.

I'm inches from selling my 56cm fleet off (and it was slowly built and collected).

Do I hang weights from my ankles and hang by pullup bars? Maybe stretch it out a bit?

Do I go to zero-setback posts and slide the saddle up?

Or should I just hide my 56cm pride in proportions and ride the 54's?

What is your experience, as you age, re: sizing and fit?
Deteriorating minds want to know.
Get checked to make sure you don't have osteoporosis.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 12:50 PM
  #71  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes View Post
What is your experience, as you age, re: sizing and fit?
Deteriorating minds want to know.
How old are you?
Koyote is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 01:18 PM
  #72  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Get checked to make sure you don't have osteoporosis.
Like I want to know that.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 01:20 PM
  #73  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
How old are you?
Old enough to understand what some of these people are saying.

UPDATE:
The transition has begun. Shakedown of the "new" smaller frame, shorter stem, etc, will be this weekend at Thunder Ridge.
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-13-19 at 01:44 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 01:37 PM
  #74  
speedevil 
I never finish anyth
 
speedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western KY
Posts: 983

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 198? Masi Nuovo Strada, 1984 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
@RobbieTunes, does that mean the Wraith or the Bob Jackson is making the trip?
__________________
Dale, NL4T
speedevil is offline  
Old 05-13-19, 01:45 PM
  #75  
RobbieTunes 
Half drunk? Finish!
Thread Starter
 
RobbieTunes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Very Southern Indiana
Posts: 25,758
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
@RobbieTunes, does that mean the Wraith or the Bob Jackson is making the trip?
At present, Rob will ride the Bob.

Shaking it down this afternoon.
I removed the triple that was causing so many problems, and went with another idea.

I reserve the right to make it easy on myself and thumb my nose at @seypat, and possibly ride modern, but it will be steel.

This was tempting, though:
__________________
Robbie ♪♫♪...☻
I have unfinished business.


Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-13-19 at 01:49 PM.
RobbieTunes is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.