Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Am I shrinking, wising up, or just getting old? (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1172297-am-i-shrinking-wising-up-just-getting-old.html)

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:26 AM

Am I shrinking, wising up, or just getting old?
 
OK, so I've ridden 56cm for 15 years. Slow, fast, climbing, indifferent, always the same. Never any issues; thought I had it "dialed in" with a 56cm TT and 70mm stem, classic bars. And I rode the drops most of the time.

And now it's not working.

*&^%$#!

double-*&^%$#!!

My 54cm builds, including a very recent one, are um, for lack of a better word, below orgasmic as far as fit, but much better.

I'm inches from selling my 56cm fleet off (and it was slowly built and collected).

Do I hang weights from my ankles and hang by pullup bars? Maybe stretch it out a bit?

Do I go to zero-setback posts and slide the saddle up?

Or should I just hide my 56cm pride in proportions and ride the 54's?

What is your experience, as you age, re: sizing and fit?
Deteriorating minds want to know.

repechage 05-06-19 09:30 AM

Gravity strikes back.
From my tallest point, some 40 years ago, I have 35mm less in stature.

Its all in the top tube. (effective length- forward of the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket)

You could always buy inversion boots...

My latest purchases have 15mm shorter top tubes than what I would ride when young.Really don't want to go under a 10 cm stem if possible.

horatio 05-06-19 09:33 AM

What’s hurting when you ride the 56’s?

jetboy 05-06-19 09:33 AM

are you riding more in the evening or morning? you do shrink during the day... so 56 in the morning, 54 in the evening time!

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:34 AM


Originally Posted by repechage (Post 20916414)
You could always buy inversion boots...

Had a bad experience with them, pull-up bars, and tequila. I still get the dry heaves thinking about it.

BTW, my recent "smaller" build from Damiano is one of the flies in the ointment.

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:37 AM


Originally Posted by horatio (Post 20916421)
What’s hurting when you ride the 56’s?

On C&V bars, mostly Cinellis and Nittos, not getting as much flex on my arms on the hoods.
I can't decide if I was tougher then, and dealt with it, or shorter now.

I swear I used to be able to read the front hub on a 56cm. Now I can't even see it.

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:38 AM


Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 20916422)
are you riding more in the evening or morning? you do shrink during the day... so 56 in the morning, 54 in the evening time!

I can't think of a better excuse to keep the fleet....:innocent:

ridelikeaturtle 05-06-19 09:40 AM

In my >20 yrs on the road, I've always preferred to be stretched a bit, and at least to have that option, and 59cm has been where I'd start for a road bike. But I've now got three 57cm frames and they're fine too, but I do feel more on top of the front wheel and the bike is a bit more twitchy.

If you're feeling too stretched and can't make enough minor adjustments to suit, then yeah I'd say go for what feels right and stick to that smaller frame.

seedsbelize 05-06-19 09:40 AM

I rode 58cm for twenty years and am now finding the orgasmic ride on 60cm Treks.

gugie 05-06-19 09:43 AM

In a Seinfeld episode Elaine throws Jerry under the bus for buying wider pants, but writing over the size on the patch so that they're still 31 inch waist...

Buy a tape that measures long, call it a 56 if anyone asks...

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:44 AM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 20916444)
I rode 58cm for twenty years and am now finding the orgasmic ride on 60cm Treks.

I heard they're more grateful.

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:47 AM


Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle (Post 20916443)
In my >20 yrs on the road, I've always preferred to be stretched a bit, and at least to have that option, and 59cm has been where I'd start for a road bike. But I've now got three 57cm frames and they're fine too, but I do feel more on top of the front wheel and the bike is a bit more twitchy.

If you're feeling too stretched and can't make enough minor adjustments to suit, then yeah I'd say go for what feels right and stick to that smaller frame.

I just keep remembering the Dairyland Dare with @hodgykins and the Hilly Hundred with @steelbike guy, and the bike (54cm) was pretty much non-existent under me.

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 09:48 AM


Originally Posted by gugie (Post 20916453)
In a Seinfeld episode Elaine throws Jerry under the bus for buying wider pants, but writing over the size on the patch so that they're still 31 inch waist...

Buy a tape that measures long, call it a 56 if anyone asks...

Maybe I'll just stop talking to people. That should ease it some.

Then again, for Elaine, yeah, I'd suffer.

horatio 05-06-19 09:54 AM

Have you tried narrower bars?

seypat 05-06-19 09:57 AM

I have found the shrinkage in direct proportion to gaining weight. If I gain 10lbs, my @ss gets bigger. The cushion between the sit bones and saddle is bigger so I have to lower the saddle. Same for the gut. If the aero belly gets bigger, I cannot extend/stretch out as far. Like you, I have to go to the smaller frame or make some adjustments. This is measurable on the stationary bikes at the gym. I move between 2 settings depending on the amount of junk in my trunk.

curbtender 05-06-19 10:01 AM

I'm seeing a turnover of the fleet.

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by seypat (Post 20916482)
I have found the shrinkage in direct proportion to gaining weight. If I gain 10lbs, my @ss gets bigger. The cushion between the sit bones and saddle is bigger so I have to lower the saddle. Same for the gut. If the aero belly gets bigger, I cannot extend/stretch out as far. Like you, I have to go to the smaller frame or make some adjustments. This is measurable on the stationary bikes at the gym. I move between 2 settings depending on the amount of junk in my trunk.

You are really killing my buzz with all this common sense. The sad thing is I understand it.

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 10:04 AM


Originally Posted by curbtender (Post 20916493)
I'm seeing a turnover of the fleet.

:cry:

RobbieTunes 05-06-19 10:05 AM


Originally Posted by horatio (Post 20916477)
Have you tried narrower bars?

Yes. Did not help. I'm not exactly aero.

jlaw 05-06-19 10:17 AM

An hour or two per day on this thing and you'll be trading up to a 58cm fleet.

(At least this guy seems to think so)

https://i01.hsncdn.com/is/image/Home...1476_alt10.jpg

markwesti 05-06-19 10:18 AM

Have you tried 165mm cranks ? I have 170-172 on my 58's , I would love to get some 165's . And + 1 for shorter stem and no set back on the post .

ThermionicScott 05-06-19 10:21 AM

Dang, I'd offer to buy one of your 56cm Miami Vices if you still had one.

horatio 05-06-19 10:24 AM

There’s got to be something you can modify besides the frame. 2cm is less than an inch. That Battaglin has a very short stem, BTW.

stardognine 05-06-19 10:31 AM


Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20916498)
You are really killing my buzz with all this common sense. The sad thing is I understand it.

You guys just kill me. I've worn a 32-34" waist Levi's since I was 16, because a proper 33" is very hard to find. And don't hand me no "baggy" pants, the normal ones are baggy enough. 🤪😁

rhm 05-06-19 10:39 AM

@RobbieTunes, possibly you were formerly in the habit of stretching more than you do now? I ask 'cuz at various points in the last five, ten, fifteen years, I have made a point of doing a lot of stretching, like getting to the point where I could put the palms of my hands flat on the floor when standing up, then stretching my neck so i could look as far forward/up as possible. It's always painful, but after doing that (and similar things) several times a week for a few months, I get a lot more flexible.. and this helps fitting the bike. I'm out of the habit now, and I see I like my handlebars higher now than I did a few years ago. Not a good sign!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.