Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan

Old 07-16-19, 09:01 AM
  #51  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,060

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread View Post
Scott - there are some Japanese bike shops and collectors who would basically complete your needs in a visit or two if you pursued the custom builder route. I'm thinking Shinkai Cycle, specifically. Check out their Instagram page.

I have an early 80s Alps bike built by Toei that I would offer for photographs but it's probably been repainted some time in the last 15 years.

Thanks for that lead, I've followed Shinkai from my IG cycling account. I'd love to see photos of your Alps, repainted is not always a bad thing.

Cheers,

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Old 07-16-19, 09:42 AM
  #52  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
Thanks for that lead, I've followed Shinkai from my IG cycling account. I'd love to see photos of your Alps, repainted is not always a bad thing.

Cheers,

Scott
Here are some pictures of the frameset:







TenGrainBread is online now  
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 07-20-19, 10:49 PM
  #53  
johnnyace 
Shut up and ride!
Thread Starter
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,090

Bikes: All the bikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
Second, there are some Japanese builders that I think would make a lovely book, such as Toei, Erba, Nagasawa, Zunow, 3 Rensho, and Cherubim.
I don't know much about them, but they seem to make some pretty nice bikes: Maruishi

My 1986 Nashbar MKIII Road Bike (full Suntour Cyclone) was evidently made by Maruishi of Ishiwata 024 tubing. It's a really nice bike for a "house brand" bike.

And this beauty Maruishi Emperor showed up on the SF Bay Area craigslist recently. I believe this was probably not a bike that was available on the American market.

johnnyace is offline  
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 07-30-19, 10:20 AM
  #54  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,060

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Wow! Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 02:06 PM
  #55  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,060

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread View Post
Here are some pictures of the frameset:








I'm stumped, what is that handle for? Easier to carry on public transportation?

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Old 08-08-19, 02:48 PM
  #56  
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 4,645

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
I don't know much about them, but they seem to make some pretty nice bikes: Maruishi

My 1986 Nashbar MKIII Road Bike (full Suntour Cyclone) was evidently made by Maruishi of Ishiwata 024 tubing. It's a really nice bike for a "house brand" bike.

And this beauty Maruishi Emperor showed up on the SF Bay Area craigslist recently. I believe this was probably not a bike that was available on the American market.
I like mine:

__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is online now  
Old 08-08-19, 02:49 PM
  #57  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
I'm stumped, what is that handle for? Easier to carry on public transportation?

Scott
I think it's a combination of the ability to lift the bike when portaging over rough mountain terrain, and the ability to lift the bike when broken down into rinko mode for train travel. Alps was famous for making pass-hunting bikes and for developing the rinko concept.
TenGrainBread is online now  
Old 08-09-19, 02:47 PM
  #58  
Kilroy1988 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dinuba, CA
Posts: 975

Bikes: ~1950 Raleigh Popular, 1951 New Hudson Silver Arrow, ~1970 Frejus Tour de France, 1970 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
Coming back to the topic of those "GTO" bikes, here's one for sale on Ebay - a Katakura Silk "Speed Master"

Crazy little thing...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Katakura-Si...MAAOSwg1JcQoJw

Kilroy1988 is offline  
Old 08-09-19, 03:37 PM
  #59  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 24,004

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988 View Post
Coming back to the topic of those "GTO" bikes, here's one for sale on Ebay - a Katakura Silk "Speed Master"
Must be named for the amount of mass that it carries downhill.

Are those EA3-sized wheels?

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Likes For cudak888:
Old 08-10-19, 02:23 PM
  #60  
Leonneke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Johnnyace.

I think there are a few pages written about / on Nishiki. I am interested in that. Is it detailed ? Meaning, do all the vintage models appaer in the book with specs and so on ?

Greetings from The Netherland. Leonneke
Leonneke is offline  
Old 08-10-19, 02:36 PM
  #61  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,452

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci x2, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread View Post
I think it's a combination of the ability to lift the bike when portaging over rough mountain terrain, and the ability to lift the bike when broken down into rinko mode for train travel. Alps was famous for making pass-hunting bikes and for developing the rinko concept.
Not that most of them needed it, but it would have made the frame much stronger and stiffer as well, may have also been a consideration, primary had to be portage.
merziac is offline  
Old 08-15-19, 10:46 AM
  #62  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,060

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonneke View Post
Hello Johnnyace.

I think there are a few pages written about / on Nishiki. I am interested in that. Is it detailed ? Meaning, do all the vintage models appaer in the book with specs and so on ?

Greetings from The Netherland. Leonneke
Yes, there are some wonderful Nishikis in the book:

1983 International
1979 Superbe
1981 Comp II
1972 Professional
1981 Ultimate

Cheers

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 08-15-19, 01:42 PM
  #63  
Leonneke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
Yes, there are some wonderful Nishikis in the book: Scott
Thanks so far Scott. Could you have a look if the Nishiki Trim ACE is in the book also ???? It was in production around 1977 - 1978. They had the handwriting "Designed by Nishiki"

( The models after that were named Trim Master - handwriting "Designed by Kawamura" )

Greetings Leonneke
Leonneke is offline  
Old 08-19-19, 09:34 AM
  #64  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,060

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonneke View Post
Thanks so far Scott. Could you have a look if the Nishiki Trim ACE is in the book also ???? It was in production around 1977 - 1978. They had the handwriting "Designed by Nishiki"

( The models after that were named Trim Master - handwriting "Designed by Kawamura" )

Greetings Leonneke
No sir, that model is not in the book.

Cheers,

Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Old 08-20-19, 06:59 PM
  #65  
Raleigh74 
Senior Member
 
Raleigh74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greenville, SC / Asheville, NC
Posts: 283

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Professional, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Nishiki Medalist, '85 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB, '81 Peugeot Course, '79 Univega Gran Rally, '85 Torpado Super Strada

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRyder View Post
I'm glad to hear everyone is enjoying the book! I was really blessed to get to photograph such beautiful machines!! What do you think we should do next? Any thoughts?

Scott

Excellent job with the photography! I picked up my copy a month or so ago.
Raleigh74 is offline  
Likes For Raleigh74:
Old 08-21-19, 07:32 AM
  #66  
ScottRyder 
Senior Member
 
ScottRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: The other Cape, Cape Ann
Posts: 3,060

Bikes: vintagefuji.posthaven.com

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh74 View Post
Excellent job with the photography! I picked up my copy a month or so ago.

Thank you, I appreciate that!


Scott
ScottRyder is offline  
Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 08-21-19, 12:26 PM
  #67  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,273
Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 154 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonneke View Post
Thanks so far Scott. Could you have a look if the Nishiki Trim ACE is in the book also ???? It was in production around 1977 - 1978. They had the handwriting "Designed by Nishiki"

( The models after that were named Trim Master - handwriting "Designed by Kawamura" )

Greetings Leonneke
The name sounds like a European model. Serial number?
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-21-19, 01:40 PM
  #68  
Leonneke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The name sounds like a European model. Serial number?
Hello T-Mar. Yes, as far as I understand the numbering, it is a European Model.

The frame number is EG 01354
E stands for European Market ???
Leonneke is offline  
Old 08-21-19, 02:36 PM
  #69  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,273
Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 154 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonneke View Post
Hello T-Mar. Yes, as far as I understand the numbering, it is a European Model.

The frame number is EG 01354
E stands for European Market ???
Yes, the Kawamura serial numbers reported by European members typically have an "E" prefix. Kawamura is the only manufacturer I've some across that incorporated a market/distributor code. The "G" could represent 1977 or 1987 manufacture and if was late in the calendar year it could represent the subsequent model year. You have to look at the frame characteristics to determine the decade.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-21-19, 03:24 PM
  #70  
Leonneke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
Yes, the Kawamura serial numbers reported by European members typically have an "E" prefix. Kawamura is the only manufacturer I've some across that incorporated a market/distributor code. The "G" could represent 1977 or 1987 manufacture and if was late in the calendar year it could represent the subsequent model year. You have to look at the frame characteristics to determine the decade.
Thanks T-Mar. The bike is mostly equipped with Shimano 600 Arabesque. It still has (had) a 5 speed Uni Glide Freewheel. (120 mm spacing ) Friction shifters. And Araya rims, Araya 18.

So counting all this together, it has to be 1977.

When I was 14 ( this was in 1978 ) I had a similar bike with all the same specs and assembly.

I was quite lucky with this bike. It was pre-owned by a bicycle shop for some decades. When this bicycle shop went bankrupt, the owner sold the bike to a student for very little money. That's were I bought it from (for little money). The bike was in 'mint' condition. All the grease was dried out. The tyres were dried out / rotten. I replaced some Sakae parts for Shimano 600 to complete the looks. Fantastic ride !!!!
Leonneke is offline  
Old 08-21-19, 03:38 PM
  #71  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,273
Mentioned: 467 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 154 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Leonneke View Post
Thanks T-Mar. The bike is mostly equipped with Shimano 600 Arabesque. It still has (had) a 5 speed Uni Glide Freewheel. (120 mm spacing ) Friction shifters. And Araya rims, Araya 18.

So counting all this together, it has to be 1977.

When I was 14 ( this was in 1978 ) I had a similar bike with all the same specs and assembly.

I was quite lucky with this bike. It was pre-owned by a bicycle shop for some decades. When this bicycle shop went bankrupt, the owner sold the bike to a student for very little money. That's were I bought it from (for little money). The bike was in 'mint' condition. All the grease was dried out. The tyres were dried out / rotten. I replaced some Sakae parts for Shimano 600 to complete the looks. Fantastic ride !!!!
If it came OEM with Shimano 600 EX (a.k.a. Arabesque or 2nd generation 600), then it would be a 1978 model, as that group debuted for the 1978 model year.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 08-21-19, 03:38 PM
  #72  
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest
 
Dylansbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 668

Bikes: Retrospec AMOK low budget low trail - Polygon Bend RV - Bombtrack Arise

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've seen multiple Bridgestone bikes of that style in my area over the years.
Dylansbob is offline  
Old 08-21-19, 11:01 PM
  #73  
dancinmikeb
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 19

Bikes: 1997 Giant Rincon kid towing, 1970 Raleigh Professional (in progress), 1973(?) Viking/Lambert (all broke down)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nishiki Olympic

So, after reading some of the commentary above, is the Nishiki Olympic I JUST picked up yesterday a POS?
(KS271### which is a '73 I think?) It needs a little work, but if it's low quality I may take that into account when I decide how much to put into it.
dancinmikeb is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.