Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What We All Knew...

Old 06-07-19, 03:07 PM
  #51  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,614

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
I'm certainly not agreeing with Sam, he has yet to post anything scientific, but if P=F*V, if I have weight loss that doesn't affect my power, doesn't velocity increase?

At issue here is the F. That F is the sum of several forces:
1. Wind resistance
2. Rolling resistance
3. Drive train resistance
4. Force required to change potential energy (elevation difference)

Unless you're climbing, your weight has next to no effect on 1, 2, or 3.
And if you are climbing, you'd have to specify some specific conditions to come up with a "mph/lb" number the way Sam cited, and that would certainly be non-linear over any meaningful range.
DiabloScott is online now  
Old 06-07-19, 03:18 PM
  #52  
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Posts: 9,672
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
At issue here is the F. That F is the sum of several forces:
1. Wind resistance
2. Rolling resistance
3. Drive train resistance
4. Force required to change potential energy (elevation difference)

Unless you're climbing, your weight has next to no effect on 1, 2, or 3.
And if you are climbing, you'd have to specify some specific conditions to come up with a "mph/lb" number the way Sam cited, and that would certainly be non-linear over any meaningful range.
Still don't get it. If I am capable of sustaining 88 watts and you say the "a" doesn't change in m*a*v, if "m" is lower, "v" proportionally increases.
iab is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 03:38 PM
  #53  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,614

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Still don't get it. If I am capable of sustaining 88 watts and you say the "a" doesn't change in m*a*v, if "m" is lower, "v" proportionally increases.
Weight certainly affects your acceleration... how quickly you can change speed at a constant power. When you're at constant speed a=0, so (mav)1 = (mav)2 is a trivial relationship.

The real reason people get faster on flat ground when they lose weight is because they are biologically more efficient - less blubber to sustain with their metabolism and their power output goes up. OK, I don't have science to prove that statement, just anecdote.

And the reason they get faster climbing hills when they lose weight is because it takes less power to overcome gravity.
DiabloScott is online now  
Old 06-07-19, 03:51 PM
  #54  
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Posts: 9,672
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Weight certainly affects your acceleration... how quickly you can change speed at a constant power. When you're at constant speed a=0, so (mav)1 = (mav)2 is a trivial relationship.

The real reason people get faster on flat ground when they lose weight is because they are biologically more efficient - less blubber to sustain with their metabolism and their power output goes up. OK, I don't have science to prove that statement, just anecdote.

And the reason they get faster climbing hills when they lose weight is because it takes less power to overcome gravity.
Net acceleration is zero at a constant velocity, but my massive 88 watts is generating acceleration. It is only netted to zero by friction.

If a=0, then where are my 88 watts going? p=mav, if a=0, p=0.
iab is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 04:23 PM
  #55  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,614

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
Net acceleration is zero at a constant velocity, but my massive 88 watts is generating acceleration. It is only netted to zero by friction.

If a=0, then where are my 88 watts going? p=mav, if a=0, p=0.
You're not accelerating, you're doing WORK, countering the forces of friction. The more POWER you have, the faster you can do the WORK

Top end speed of a semi is the same, whether it's loaded or not. But it takes a longer time for the loaded truck to get up to that speed, and takes longer to stop.
DiabloScott is online now  
Old 06-07-19, 04:45 PM
  #56  
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Posts: 9,672
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I think I got it. Thanks.
iab is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 05:29 PM
  #57  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,614

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
I think I got it. Thanks.

Anything else I can explain for anybody? Absorption chillers? Nuclear fission?
DiabloScott is online now  
Old 06-07-19, 05:34 PM
  #58  
clubman
Youngman Grand
 
clubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 5,481

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
It's 41-ism presented as "Science", this kind of hogwash is infecting C&V as well along with an appallingly deep and pervasive Dunning-Kruger effect, confirmation bias and a simpering twee revisionism of the sport's past.

-Bandera
Ouch. Our society in 25 words or less.
clubman is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 06:00 PM
  #59  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,800
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Getting the incremental improvements that matter most over the last 45 years for road racing machines seems back to front in this thread.
By that I mean:

1) A good quality steel race frame from the '70's fitted out with all modern components.

B) A modern CF race frame fitted out (not so easy to do) with a 70's period NR group w/ DT friction controls, non-aero brake levers, 52/42 5 cog 14-21 gearing, Toeclips/straps, 36H AL tubular wheels, Brooks Pro Saddle and a mechanical stopwatch & holder.

I'd race version 1 vs B myself.

Oddly enough there is an entire thread in C&V "Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos" with 1,903,083 posts indicating that this is a well trodden path.
Not so oddly for B there is Nada.

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan

Last edited by Bandera; 06-09-19 at 05:18 AM.
Bandera is online now  
Old 06-07-19, 07:48 PM
  #60  
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Posts: 9,672
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Anything else I can explain for anybody? Absorption chillers? Nuclear fission?
How did Paul Newman eat so many eggs in Cool Hand Luke?
iab is offline  
Likes For iab:
Old 06-07-19, 07:49 PM
  #61  
johnnyace 
Shut up and ride!
 
johnnyace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,089

Bikes: All the bikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
...(and Ultegra... my god all the Ultegra)
I probably have what would be considered an unreasonable hatred of Ultegra, especially the brifters. I base this on:

1) I think it's butt-ugly.
2) Every bike I've ever purchased with Ultegra on it has been dysfunctional; again, especially the brifters.
johnnyace is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 08:31 PM
  #62  
SamSpade1941 
Senior Member
 
SamSpade1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Anything else I can explain for anybody? Absorption chillers? Nuclear fission?

You mean more things your not expertly qualified to speak on . ?
SamSpade1941 is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 08:39 PM
  #63  
SamSpade1941 
Senior Member
 
SamSpade1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 630
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iab View Post
How did Paul Newman eat so many eggs in Cool Hand Luke?
Pretty sure George Kennedy covered that in the movie.
SamSpade1941 is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 09:30 PM
  #64  
Steve Whitlatch 
Senior Member
 
Steve Whitlatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
How much of a boost can the psychological effect of riding a brand new modern race bike bring to the table? Can that be measured? I mean, it could make some people feel better, push harder, train harder and play harder. How many people here purchased super expensive exotic Italian steel bike because so and so was super fast and won a race on it back in the day? It seems odd that we make fun of the young crowd now for buying bikes that today`s idols of the sport ride? Whatever gets them on a bike and riding is a great bike. I have given up on making fun of carbon bikes. They might not look as pretty as my steel to me, but my Cannondale sure is fun to ride.
__________________
My bikes: 1970`s Roberts - 1981 Miyata 912 - 1980`s Ocshner (Chrome) - 1987 Schwinn Circuit - 1987 Schwinn Prologue - 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint - 1999 Schwinn Circuit - 2014 Cannondale Super Six EVO

Last edited by Steve Whitlatch; 06-07-19 at 09:58 PM.
Steve Whitlatch is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 10:11 PM
  #65  
Steve Whitlatch 
Senior Member
 
Steve Whitlatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 3,628
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
You know what else I find to be odd? The push to bigger tires on the old steel bikes? So many people here do not ride the old steel racing bikes anymore because they will not fit 32`s or bigger? But boy the old steel racers are superior or just as good as today`s bikes? The other odd thing is that I have heard over and over how some steel racing bikes are superior to other steel bikes because they are two to three pounds lighter.? But carbon bikes that are five to six pounds lighter than steel bikes have no advantage? We should start a C&V contradictions thread?
__________________
My bikes: 1970`s Roberts - 1981 Miyata 912 - 1980`s Ocshner (Chrome) - 1987 Schwinn Circuit - 1987 Schwinn Prologue - 1992 Schwinn Crosspoint - 1999 Schwinn Circuit - 2014 Cannondale Super Six EVO
Steve Whitlatch is offline  
Old 06-07-19, 11:32 PM
  #66  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 8,614

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2195 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941 View Post
You mean more things your not expertly qualified to speak on . ?
Wow, four errors in an 11-word sentence... you're just trolling me aren't you?
DiabloScott is online now  
Old 06-08-19, 01:10 AM
  #67  
Fahrenheit531 
50th Anniversary Edition
 
Fahrenheit531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,451

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount ('71) and Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
B) A modern CF race frame fitted out (not so easy to do) with a 70's period NR group w/ DT friction controls, non-aero brake levers, 52/42 5 cog 14-21 gearing, Toeclips/straps, 36H AL tubular wheels, Brooks Pro Saddle and a mechanical stopwatch & holder.
This image will never leave me.
__________________
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Fahrenheit531 is offline  
Old 06-08-19, 11:22 PM
  #68  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
The demographic around here seems to be 60+. How fast are we going that an aero frame is going to make any difference? When JRA means 40kph and sprints are always above 60kph fair enough to presume all present are on carbon. If over 60 and doing those speeds training and sleeping is going to take so many hours nothing will be left over for fooling with C&V bikes.

I ride old bikes because I like them. Can remember JRA at 40kph when steel was the only choice and those memories will last. Memories won't make me fast and neither will carbon.

And all my bikes will fit 32mm tires. Because they are old bikes. If your concept of an old bike is something 10 or 20 years old you don't get to play with wide tires. Which are just normal tires.
63rickert is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 03:18 PM
  #69  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,028

Bikes: 82/82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 89 Basso PR

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Anything else I can explain for anybody? Absorption chillers? Nuclear fission?
Actually, what are you thoughts on the ITER project? I personally think it's the most important project on the planet... that nobody has ever heard of.

Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Getting the incremental improvements that matter most over the last 45 years for road racing machines seems back to front in this thread.
By that I mean:
1) A good quality steel race frame from the '70's fitted out with all modern components.
B) A modern CF race frame fitted out (not so easy to do) with a 70's period NR group w/ DT friction controls, non-aero brake levers, 52/42 5 cog 14-21 gearing, Toeclips/straps, 36H AL tubular wheels, Brooks Pro Saddle and a mechanical stopwatch & holder.
I'd race version 1 vs B myself.
Oddly enough there is an entire thread in C&V "Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos" with 1,903,083 posts indicating that this is a well trodden path.
Not so oddly for B there is Nada.
Yes, and version 1 is exactly what I did race (and I even posted it in that thread last year). I'm pretty sure I was also careful to specify the frame, and not the entire bike.

Originally Posted by johnnyace View Post
I probably have what would be considered an unreasonable hatred of Ultegra, especially the brifters...
The sheer volume of Ultegra was truly shocking. You would think some of those guys would use something else just because they thought it was superior, and therefore they would have an edge over almost everyone.

It's also sort of strange to me (just my opinion), that so many people are fine with cookie-cutter bikes and parts. I mean, don't you want your bike to be your bike?


Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 View Post
This image will never leave me.
Sounds like the makings of a good GCN video: "What is faster? New frame with old parts, or old frame with new parts?" As stated, though, it would probably be a PITA to setup a new frame with vintage stuff.
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 04:34 PM
  #70  
BadGrandma
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 17

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Oddly enough USAC racing is age cadre and experience based in field selection.
If/when I emerge from retirement to pin on a number it will be my peers not their grandchildren or rank newbies that I'll line up with.
As ever it will be the fit, fast and race smart who populate the steps of the podium using the equipment that they prefer within UCI guidelines.
If one feels up for giving a demonstration of their C&V period machine and kit please make sure that your tires are firmly glued and have at it.

-Bandera
Bandera,, so you're obviously not a woman. Not that I would have podiumed, anyway. BTW, I think this was supposed to be a light-hearted post.
BadGrandma is offline  
Old 06-10-19, 05:01 PM
  #71  
Kuromori
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531 View Post
This image will never leave me.
There's a carbon Diamondback Podium with 50th SR. That's pretty close.
Kuromori is online now  
Old 06-10-19, 05:23 PM
  #72  
Bandera 
~>~
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: TX Hill Country
Posts: 5,800
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BadGrandma View Post
Bandera,, so you're obviously not a woman.
Thank you, I guess.......

-Bandera
__________________
'74 Raleigh Internat'l. '77 Trek TX900 FG. '90 Vitus 979. '10 Merckx EMX3. '13 Soma Stanyan

Last edited by Bandera; 06-11-19 at 06:37 AM.
Bandera is online now  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ZippyThePinhead
Professional Cycling For the Fans
3
06-02-15 09:40 AM
windhchaser
Foo
8
03-04-13 02:21 PM
Garfield Cat
Triathlon
1
06-16-11 05:01 PM
RiPHRaPH
General Cycling Discussion
11
01-08-03 02:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.