Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven Frame-What parts needed?

Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven Frame-What parts needed?

Old 06-19-19, 04:01 PM
  #1  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven Frame-What parts needed?

Got this frame recently and need some advice on what parts to get for the bike. I want it as original as possible with used/vintage parts. Someone suggested Shimano Dura-Ace 7400 series components? Mavic wheels, which ones? Handlebars? Stem? Seat? Here's the bike frame which is well used:






Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-19-19, 07:51 PM
  #2  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,307

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Correct group would be Dura Ace 7402, 8 speed double, downtube shifters.
Seat post, saddle, bars, bar wrap color, pedals & wheelsets all seem to change around depending on rider preference and event.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Likes For rccardr:
Old 06-19-19, 08:21 PM
  #3  
malcala622 
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 1,966

Bikes: Bianchi Trofeo/Limited/Giro.Tommasini Prestige. Bottecchia Cromor. Gios Torino. Torelli Strada?

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Well used but damn that's a gorgeous frame.

Im jealous right now cuz it looks to be my size.
__________________
Bianchi Trofeo/Limited/Giro...Tommasini Prestige...Bottecchia Cromor...Gios Torino...Torelli Strada...Miele Latina SL
malcala622 is offline  
Likes For malcala622:
Old 06-19-19, 08:29 PM
  #4  
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike
 
KonAaron Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 16,803

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
My ‘91 Motorola has wolber decals, and the team used profil 20 rims that year. In 91 they had the avocet ti h20 saddle. I would
probably just build it up as I liked best - it’s not a team bike, and these were sold as frame sets...most would build them however.
KonAaron Snake is offline  
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 06-19-19, 10:02 PM
  #5  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,022

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake View Post
My Ď91 Motorola has wolber decals, and the team used profil 20 rims that year. In 91 they had the avocet ti h20 saddle. I would
probably just build it up as I liked best - itís not a team bike, and these were sold as frame sets...most would build them however.
+1, exactly this, and you have a pretty good start with that SP and even the HS will do just fine for now.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 06-20-19, 06:27 AM
  #6  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,307

Bikes: I'd rather not count how many, thank you

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Here's an example pic of a tribute 7-Eleven I built last year. It's Columbus SL, has the sloping crown fork. Looked at a lot of pictures online from the period when the bikes were actually being used and found that saddles, posts, bar tap, stem length, etc. all seemed to vary quite a bit from pic to pic. The Rolls saddle is period correct but probably not the Due model. Bar tape on this one is leather but they likely used fabric or synthetic wrap. This one uses Mavic clinchers from the late 80's but safe to assume that tubulars were used for actual racing. Decided to just build one that was as close to the real thing as reasonably possible but that could still be ridden without concern...

__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...

Last edited by rccardr; 06-20-19 at 06:34 AM.
rccardr is offline  
Likes For rccardr:
Old 06-20-19, 08:09 AM
  #7  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,829
Mentioned: 431 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 58 Times in 54 Posts
It has a pump peg, as opposed to a number peg, so we know it's a production frame. 7-Eleven switched to Merckx frames for 1989 the season and the team became Motorola in 1991, so this would be appropriate for a 1989 or 1990 team replica build. However, a 1990 would use painted forks. Still this looks like it's in dire need on a repaint, so I 'll list specs for both years, in case you decide to paint the forks.

As previously noted, New Dura-Ace (74xx series) in eight speed configuration would be correct. However, a 1989 would use down tube shift levers and single pivot brakes, while a 1990 would use STI (brifters) and dual pivot calipers, though as individual preference some riders retained down tube shift levers. Wolber was a co-sponsor both years, so Wolber tubular rims would be correct, though the model and spoke count could vary by rider and race. Depicted handlebars are typically Cinelli XA with white Cinelli bar wrap and presumably Cinelli bars. Standard issue saddle was a Selle Italia Turbo, though again, this could vary.
T-Mar is offline  
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-20-19, 09:58 AM
  #8  
gugie 
Crapmaster Emeritus
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 7,359

Bikes: JP Weigle'd Raleigh Competition reconstruct, 73 Raleigh Competition 650b'ed, 96 Bike Friday NWT, 83 Lotus Classique, 78 Centurion ProTour, 73 Raleigh Grand Sports

Mentioned: 775 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2215 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Send it to @Andy_K, looks to be his size, he's looking for one, and he'll have it kitted out in no time.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 10:54 AM
  #9  
malcala622 
Senior Member
 
malcala622's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pico Rivera, CA
Posts: 1,966

Bikes: Bianchi Trofeo/Limited/Giro.Tommasini Prestige. Bottecchia Cromor. Gios Torino. Torelli Strada?

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Send it to @Andy_K, looks to be his size, he's looking for one, and he'll have it kitted out in no time.

Whoa slow down there. Let OP enjoy the bike first
__________________
Bianchi Trofeo/Limited/Giro...Tommasini Prestige...Bottecchia Cromor...Gios Torino...Torelli Strada...Miele Latina SL

Last edited by malcala622; 06-20-19 at 11:09 AM.
malcala622 is offline  
Likes For malcala622:
Old 06-20-19, 12:15 PM
  #10  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 6,134

Bikes: 90/91 De Rosa, '84 Team Miyata, '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
This in for sale you get you close fast 9s DuraAce/Ultegra group
__________________
Looking for Team Miyata F&F 58cm
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-20-19, 12:23 PM
  #11  
Ex Pres
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mountain Brook, AL
Posts: 7,122
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
This in for sale you get you close fast 9s DuraAce/Ultegra group
HaHa, thanks for the plug. But I also have a set of 8s DA STI with about the same patina as the frame, if the OP is interested. (plus other 740x DA bits)
Ex Pres is offline  
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 06-20-19, 01:02 PM
  #12  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 6,134

Bikes: 90/91 De Rosa, '84 Team Miyata, '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres View Post
HaHa, thanks for the plug. But I also have a set of 8s DA STI with about the same patina as the frame, if the OP is interested. (plus other 740x DA bits)
@Mozzafiato check this out....... also WTB in c&v for sale often comes up with great stuff, at better prices than ebay and definitely from a better crowd
__________________
Looking for Team Miyata F&F 58cm
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-20-19, 01:18 PM
  #13  
texaspandj
Senior Member
 
texaspandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Heart Of Texas
Posts: 3,328

Bikes: '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Correct group would be Dura Ace 7402, 8 speed double, downtube shifters.
Seat post, saddle, bars, bar wrap color, pedals & wheelsets all seem to change around depending on rider preference and event.
I had a poster of Andy Hampsten in 1987 and he was using an 8 speed freewheel (cassette).
That's 1987! In the accompanying article he said it was a proto type. At the time I was thinking why would anyone need 16 speeds.
texaspandj is offline  
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 06-20-19, 03:03 PM
  #14  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres View Post
HaHa, thanks for the plug. But I also have a set of 8s DA STI with about the same patina as the frame, if the OP is interested. (plus other 740x DA bits)
I would like to make it complete with Dura Ace components. I don't want to paint the bike. I'll probably clear coat it after a little buffing of the rust. As T-Mar said, if this is a 1989 frame, I'd like it to have the down tube shift levers and single pivot brakes. I also like the sound of that Selle Italia Turbo seat in white & the Cinelli XA handlebars with white Cinelli bar wrap. Not sure about the rims, Mavic or Wolber? (or are they the same?) Let me know what you have and how much! Thanks, Daren
Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 03:09 PM
  #15  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
@Mozzafiato check this out....... also WTB in c&v for sale often comes up with great stuff, at better prices than ebay and definitely from a better crowd
Thanks Squirtdad. I'll keep an eye out. I'm not in a hurry. I just want it to be as close to period as possible with good, used parts. I just don't know much about the parts! ;-)
Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 03:11 PM
  #16  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622 View Post
Whoa slow down there. Let OP enjoy the bike first
Yes, please! ;-) lol!
Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 03:14 PM
  #17  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
It has a pump peg, as opposed to a number peg, so we know it's a production frame. 7-Eleven switched to Merckx frames for 1989 the season and the team became Motorola in 1991, so this would be appropriate for a 1989 or 1990 team replica build. However, a 1990 would use painted forks. Still this looks like it's in dire need on a repaint, so I 'll list specs for both years, in case you decide to paint the forks.

As previously noted, New Dura-Ace (74xx series) in eight speed configuration would be correct. However, a 1989 would use down tube shift levers and single pivot brakes, while a 1990 would use STI (brifters) and dual pivot calipers, though as individual preference some riders retained down tube shift levers. Wolber was a co-sponsor both years, so Wolber tubular rims would be correct, though the model and spoke count could vary by rider and race. Depicted handlebars are typically Cinelli XA with white Cinelli bar wrap and presumably Cinelli bars. Standard issue saddle was a Selle Italia Turbo, though again, this could vary.
Thanks for all that info! I don't want to do too much to the frame other than buffing out some of the rust and maybe some clear coat. The last owner road the wheels off it here around Greensboro. Would love to get most of the items you've mentioned!
Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 03:24 PM
  #18  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
Here's an example pic of a tribute 7-Eleven I built last year. It's Columbus SL, has the sloping crown fork. Looked at a lot of pictures online from the period when the bikes were actually being used and found that saddles, posts, bar tap, stem length, etc. all seemed to vary quite a bit from pic to pic. The Rolls saddle is period correct but probably not the Due model. Bar tape on this one is leather but they likely used fabric or synthetic wrap. This one uses Mavic clinchers from the late 80's but safe to assume that tubulars were used for actual racing. Decided to just build one that was as close to the real thing as reasonably possible but that could still be ridden without concern...

Nice bike! Thanks for the info. I want to ride this without much concern as well. Clincher wheels for me sound good.
Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 03:46 PM
  #19  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,022

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton, Bornstein, Paisley, Paramounts, 3rensho, Moto TC, Raleigh Pro's, Marinoni, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC and more

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mozzafiato View Post
I would like to make it complete with Dura Ace components. I don't want to paint the bike. I'll probably clear coat it after a little buffing of the rust. As T-Mar said, if this is a 1989 frame, I'd like it to have the down tube shift levers and single pivot brakes. I also like the sound of that Selle Italia Turbo seat in white & the Cinelli XA handlebars with white Cinelli bar wrap. Not sure about the rims, Mavic or Wolber? (or are they the same?) Let me know what you have and how much! Thanks, Daren
Turtle wax Chrome polish and rust remover will make short work of a lot of that, keep it off the paint. Evaporust will also do a good job if you want to do a bath, they also make a gel that works ok to if not, both could require multiple applications and brass bristle brush on the chrome with lots of elbow grease. Frame saver on the inside to keep the rust at bay moving forward. You should be able to get the rusty chrome down to bare metal for clearcoat.
merziac is offline  
Old 06-20-19, 04:37 PM
  #20  
Mozzafiato
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Mozzafiato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 17

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 1987 Trek Karakoram GT, Eddy Merckx Team 7-Eleven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Turtle wax Chrome polish and rust remover will make short work of a lot of that, keep it off the paint. Evaporust will also do a good job if you want to do a bath, they also make a gel that works ok to if not, both could require multiple applications and brass bristle brush on the chrome with lots of elbow grease. Frame saver on the inside to keep the rust at bay moving forward. You should be able to get the rusty chrome down to bare metal for clearcoat.
Thanks for the tips Merziac. I'll take my time and get it as clean & rust free as I can! ;-)
Mozzafiato is offline  
Old 06-29-19, 01:24 AM
  #21  
CyclesMakaron
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Columbus TSX in the 1989 EMC catalog does not exist - 7-Eleven bicycles described as built with Columbus SLX ... Enter the frame's factory markings, maybe it will help
CyclesMakaron is offline  
Old 06-29-19, 06:24 AM
  #22  
texbike
Bike Geek
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 80

Bikes: Mid 60s Cinelli SC, Early 70s Cinelli SC, '74 Masi GC, Colnago C40, C50, Mapei Colnago Master, '72 PX10, ,Merckx Corsa Extra (7-11 paint), '93 RB-1, Merlin Ti, Pegoretti Custom Team, Moots Vamoots, '89 Colnago Conic SLX, Time VXS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron View Post
Columbus TSX in the 1989 EMC catalog does not exist - 7-Eleven bicycles described as built with Columbus SLX ... Enter the frame's factory markings, maybe it will help
Agreed. This is a 1990. The '89 Corsa Extras had the SLX tubing instead of the TSX. Also, the top tube decal is different each year on the replicas. The '89s had a Corsa Extra logo on the top tube near the head tube. The 1990 model had the 7-Eleven Team sticker in that place instead.

Cool bike! Congrats on the project. I have an '89 with just the right amount of patina that is also built with full 7400 DA (with 8 speed and DT shifters) and a white Rolls saddle. It looks the part.

Texbike



Last edited by texbike; 06-30-19 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add pics
texbike is offline  
Old 06-29-19, 08:51 AM
  #23  
Reynolds 531
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno nevada
Posts: 246

Bikes: 4 Old school BMX, 6 Klunkers, 5 29er race bikes, 4 restored Sting Rays, Now 3 vintage steel bike being built up

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mozzafiato View Post
I would like to make it complete with Dura Ace components. I don't want to paint the bike. I'll probably clear coat it after a little buffing of the rust. As T-Mar said, if this is a 1989 frame, I'd like it to have the down tube shift levers and single pivot brakes. I also like the sound of that Selle Italia Turbo seat in white & the Cinelli XA handlebars with white Cinelli bar wrap. Thanks, Daren

super cool idea.
Reynolds 531 is offline  
Old 06-29-19, 12:36 PM
  #24  
Manny66 
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 153

Bikes: 1970's Windsor Professional,Guerciotti SL,Basso Gap, Vintage Moser,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, Mondia Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Luckily all the Shimano parts are easily avilable and it wont cost you an arm and a leg. Build a replica bike, buy the Jersey and shorts and ride the hell out of it.
Manny66 is offline  
Old 06-30-19, 08:13 AM
  #25  
Dean51 
Senior Member
 
Dean51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Olympic Peninsula, WA
Posts: 387

Bikes: '82 YKonno Allez, ~'80 Ron Cooper, '87 Ciocc Designer 84, '77 Schwinn Volare, '86 Tommasini Racing, Ciocc Mockba 80, '98 S-Works Hardtail Mtn., Nishiki Int'l Singlespeed

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've got the jersey, just need the bike! Acquiring a 7-Eleven Merckx has been on my radar for a long time. A decent example in 56 or 57 would be gone in a heartbeat, I've already decided which one of my existing rides would go to make room for it.

Dean


IMG_3244
__________________
Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die
Dean51 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.