Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/)
-   -   Ride a bike, see stuff (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1176378-ride-bike-see-stuff.html)

seypat 06-23-19 08:12 AM


Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 20992277)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4afadf6b9.jpeg
Not as common here on east coast as out west. Notice I am using a lot of zoom in the pic, but that other guy isn’t as worried about dodging a snake while straddling a bike with bike cleats on (??)

They can only strike the length of their body. It's not even coiled yet.

You'll know this area. I was riding through Byrd Park (RVA) on an early morning. On the road around the lake. There is a parked car ahead. The driver is relaxing in his seat. He appears to be taking a nap. As I go by, I noticed a passenger leaned over with their head in his lap. The head was moving in an up and down motion. I kept going. Obviously, I didn't take a pic. :twitchy:

TenGrainBread 06-23-19 08:37 AM

@iab @RobbieTunes We rode through Argyle last weekend on a quick 4 day loaded tour. Going from New Glarus to Mineral Point on day 2. All the roads down there are killer with the hills.

jeirvine 06-23-19 08:39 AM

This little guy seemed friendly. On Beach Dr. in Bethesda.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e3844d4b1a.jpg

Kent T 06-23-19 08:47 AM


Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 20991879)
Today on a local ride, I ventured thru Chatsworth (CA) Park with a couple of historic old houses nearby. I found this dynamite storage shed made out of thick sandstone blocks. It was built in the 1890s and used by a local quarry, and later by the railroad. I Googled "Chatsworth dynamite shed". Apparantly the plan was to have thick walls and a flimsy tin roof, so any unplanned explosion would be directed up, instead of out. Good thinking. I've lived and ridden around here 40+ years and never noticed it before. The dynamite ride is a '78 Super Course, which began as a $20 CL find.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a220810fd5.jpg

This is a Dynamite picture. Awesome C&V Dynamite bike to pair with it. Both beautiful!!!

jackbombay 06-23-19 09:14 AM

Rode 60 miles on my C&V folding bike yesterday, It was a very nice day in NYC, bit crowded on the paths because of it, but with several million people in manhattan that's to be expected...

https://i.postimg.cc/SxRBP0Mk/AB7BE9...D535CEAA88.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/s2FT4bPn/0CFBD4...F4CD23C647.jpg

tiger1964 06-23-19 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20991966)
F-86 Sabre. Huge workhorse in Korea

Pair it up with a MiG-15 I saw a few years back on a rural road somewhere west of Morgantown, WV (not on a bike at the time). I think if you typed "middle of nowhere" in Google Maps, the location might pop up.

juvela 06-23-19 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 20991983)
We see stuff on almost every ride. This is a great thread!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe440d5647.jpg
Hawk near Ventura Harbor.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8fa958ad24.jpg
Melted roadsign from Ventura County wildfires.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ccc5883dfa.jpg
Twin tunnels, Rose Valley, north of Ventura.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ca877ff67a.jpg
Hang gliders, Gibraltar Road above Santa Barbara.


-----

Thanks very much for this fine post @Slightspeed!

RE: Gibraltar Road -

there is a coffee bar/roasterie in downtown Babsieville begun a few years back by ciclisti & named The Handlebar.

Gibraltar Road is such a well known route for bikies that they decided to name their espresso blend Gibraltar...

...or known better to the regulars simply as "Gib."

-----

Korina 06-23-19 01:03 PM

On my commute home one day.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...55f0b49e9d.jpg

iab 06-23-19 02:38 PM

We call this free dinner in the northwoods of Wiscansin.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8628/1...8cbd877c_h.jpg
Namekagon 002 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Slightspeed 06-23-19 02:43 PM


Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 20992141)
@Wildwood shot this photo of me with the Planters Peanut Wagon somewhere on the road to Cino X. Fun weekend!

https://live.staticflickr.com/7831/3...9b55de2f_b.jpg

Also riding with him one day when we stopped at a Mexican restaurant for lunch. In the restroom, this saucy señorita watches you while you pee:

https://live.staticflickr.com/1923/4...24a1a4b5_c.jpg

Too funny!

obrentharris 06-23-19 09:24 PM

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Bik...MG_0182-XL.jpg

Brent

gna 06-23-19 10:01 PM


Originally Posted by RobbieTunes (Post 20991966)
F-86 Sabre. Huge workhorse in Korea, 8-1 kill ratio vs. the MIG's. Still used to pull target drones, etc in Korea.

That's an F-86H. Late model.

sdn40 06-23-19 10:17 PM


Originally Posted by TenGrainBread (Post 20992445)
@iab @RobbieTunes We rode through Argyle last weekend on a quick 4 day loaded tour. Going from New Glarus to Mineral Point on day 2. All the roads down there are killer with the hills.

Did you stop at the Brewery ? It's on my list of things to do. Spotted Cow FTW

conspiratemus1 06-24-19 07:05 PM

Outside the Hamilton Air Force Association hall in Dundas today.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fddf949c8d.jpg

The CT-133 Silver Star (as the Canadair-built jet trainer version flown by the RCAF & RCN was designated) used a Rolls-Royce Nene engine, more powerful than the Allison used in the American original. Incredibly, (or perhaps sadly predictably when you stop to think), the postwar British Labour government had sold the Nene, blueprints and all, to the Russians, who reverse-engineered it into the powerplant that drove the MiG-15. Over North Korea, the power of the Nene gave the MiG-15 an advantage in rate of climb that made it a formidable adversary to the F-86 Sabre especially in cases where it was flown by a skilled seasoned Soviet pilot who could approach the prowess of the USAF (which included RCAF volunteers during the hostilities.) The 1800-odd Canadian-built Sabres were eventually "up-motored" with Avro Canada Orenda engines, not in time for Korea but the Korea experience gave assurance that souped-up Orenda-powered Sabres defending European airspace would be able to prevail against MiG-15s in those dangerous times. The F-86 was, and is, far and away the best-looking jet aircraft ever built, but it needed the Orenda to give it soul.

Now, for extra credit, who are the two people in the photo below? The plane is an F-86 (or CL-13 as we called them officially.) No bicycling content.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3eaaa75cb5.jpg
If you're stumped, check out the Wikipedia page, "Canadair Sabre"

SpeedofLite 06-24-19 07:56 PM

OK, I'll play.

I snapped these photos (360 degrees) of a roundabout (aka traffic circle, rotary) in the middle of nowhere while riding cross country in 2014.
I was riding from Blythe. CA to Wickenburg, AZ that day, and I think these photos were taken on Arizona State Rd 60 East (SR60E).

Not certain if massive rapid development of the area was expected and civic planners were getting a jump on things, or if it was some payback in Congress for a vote, or whatever.
It reminded me of the Blazing Saddles scene in which the good guys placed a toll booth in the middle of the desert to delay the arrival of a gang of bad guys.
Maybe now that it's 5 years later, the roundabout there makes more sense than it did then.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XUCdDJwvaP...rg,+AZ+009.jpg




downtube42 06-24-19 08:16 PM

Iron mule, somewhere in Ohio or Kentucky. From a short tour I did in 2007.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics..._Iron_Mule.jpg

conspiratemus1 06-24-19 08:54 PM


Originally Posted by SpeedofLite (Post 20995349)
OK, I'll play.


I snapped these photos (360 degrees) of a roundabout (aka traffic circle, rotary) in the middle of nowhere while riding cross country in 2014.

I was riding from Blythe. CA to Wickenburg, AZ that day, and I think these photos were taken on Arizona State Rd 60 East (SR60E).


Not certain if massive rapid development of the area was expected and civic planners were getting a jump on things, or if it was some payback in Congress for a vote, or whatever.

It reminded me of the Blazing Saddles scene in which the good guys placed a toll booth in the middle of the desert to delay the arrival of a gang of bad guys.

Maybe now that it's 5 years later, the roundabout there makes more sense than it did then.



Wow. Big Sky country! Current Streetview shows a fair bit of traffic on the crossing road (and a pickup truck on the rotary rolling coal.) But sometimes roundabouts are installed out in the middle of nowhere just to prevent cross traffic from running the stop sign at full speed "if there's nothing coming." Any collisions from miscalculation and failure to yield are then slower sideswipes instead of high-speed T-bones. Offsetting the two "halves" of the intersection so both directions on the minor road see a T is another approach. There was a horrific crash in Saskatchewan recently (similar flat, lonely, treeless country inviting pedal to the metal) where a tractor-trailer blew a stop at speed and was hit by a bus carrying a minor hockey team. Many deaths and life-altering injuries; the truck driver pleaded guilty and is now in prison. There had been another bad crash at the same intersection a few years previously; makeshift memorial crosses were visible in police and news photos which also showed the small stand of windbreak trees that perhaps hid the bus and the truck from each other. A roundabout would have forced the truck to slow down even if he wasn't planning to yield. But they are unpopular because they impose an obligation to slow down and yield from all directions.

Reynolds 06-24-19 09:06 PM

Looks like the owner was worried about someone coveting his bike:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...86d22c4771.jpg

gna 06-24-19 09:11 PM


Originally Posted by conspiratemus1 (Post 20995260)
Outside the Hamilton Air Force Association hall in Dundas today.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fddf949c8d.jpg

The CT-133 Silver Star (as the Canadair-built jet trainer version flown by the RCAF & RCN was designated) used a Rolls-Royce Nene engine, more powerful than the Allison used in the American original. Incredibly, (or perhaps sadly predictably when you stop to think), the postwar British Labour government had sold the Nene, blueprints and all, to the Russians, who reverse-engineered it into the powerplant that drove the MiG-15. Over North Korea, the power of the Nene gave the MiG-15 an advantage in rate of climb that made it a formidable adversary to the F-86 Sabre especially in cases where it was flown by a skilled seasoned Soviet pilot who could approach the prowess of the USAF (which included RCAF volunteers during the hostilities.) The 1800-odd Canadian-built Sabres were eventually "up-motored" with Avro Canada Orenda engines, not in time for Korea but the Korea experience gave assurance that souped-up Orenda-powered Sabres defending European airspace would be able to prevail against MiG-15s in those dangerous times. The F-86 was, and is, far and away the best-looking jet aircraft ever built, but it needed the Orenda to give it soul.

Now, for extra credit, who are the two people in the photo below? The plane is an F-86 (or CL-13 as we called them officially.) No bicycling content.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...3eaaa75cb5.jpg
If you're stumped, check out the Wikipedia page, "Canadair Sabre"

Chuck Yeager and Jean Cochrane.

conspiratemus1 06-24-19 09:16 PM


Originally Posted by gna (Post 20995500)
Chuck Yeager and Jean Cochrane.

Thank you most sincerely for your interest in the Golden Age of Jet Aviation.

Reynolds 06-24-19 09:22 PM

Country road plinking:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2b271adcf7.jpg

Kovkov 06-25-19 12:11 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4d173c030.jpeg

Nettles on the right. Keep in the middle of road if riding with exposed skin (what one certainly does at 35°C)

Wildwood 06-25-19 08:22 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...29a245821.jpeg

rumrunn6 06-25-19 09:34 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...22a9f139fe.jpg

CO_Hoya 06-25-19 10:25 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fd7bed9ab3.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.