Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How to remove Dura Ace Freewheel?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How to remove Dura Ace Freewheel?

Old 07-08-19, 08:02 AM
  #1  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
How to remove Dura Ace Freewheel?

I'm not sure how to remove this freewheel. It's a Dura Ace, and there's a cover /lock ring on it.

Are the splines under that cover? Is a special tool needed to get the cover / lock ring off?


Thanks



rickrob is offline  
Old 07-08-19, 08:08 AM
  #2  
jethin
Senior Member
 
jethin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Show it some Campy kryptonite and it will become weak and fall off the hub like a greasy piece of over-ripe fruit.
jethin is offline  
Likes For jethin:
Old 07-08-19, 08:08 AM
  #3  
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,980

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Wizard, Pegoretti Duende, Merckx ProSLX, Pelizzoli, Cannondale ST, Schwinn Tempo, Davidson Sport Custom, Canyon Endurace, Richard Sachs, Davidson Discovery

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 696 Posts
That's a 7 speed DA 7401 UG freehub, not a freewheel. The outermost cog acts as a lockring.
Use two chain whips to remove- one to hold the cassette steady, one to remove the outermost cog. It's normal threading.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 07-08-19, 08:33 AM
  #4  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
That's a 7 speed DA 7401 UG freehub, not a freewheel. The outermost cog acts as a lockring.
Use two chain whips to remove- one to hold the cassette steady, one to remove the outermost cog. It's normal threading.

Thanks for the help.
rickrob is offline  
Old 07-08-19, 10:02 PM
  #5  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 505 Posts
It sort of looks like the smallest (threaded) cog is over-hanging the end of the freehub body, possibly a sign that the freehub body isn't meant for the 7s cassette that has been installed on it(???).

If there is less than three full turns of engagement of the smallest cog on the freehub body, I would call that dangerous.
Normally there is well more than three full turns of engagement.
dddd is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 07:50 AM
  #6  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
It sort of looks like the smallest (threaded) cog is over-hanging the end of the freehub body, possibly a sign that the freehub body isn't meant for the 7s cassette that has been installed on it(???).


If there is less than three full turns of engagement of the smallest cog on the freehub body, I would call that dangerous.

Normally there is well more than three full turns of engagement.

The lock ring does turn a few times before it tightens up and seems secure. I did some reading on compatibility issues with Dura Ace / Uniglide hubs and most likely this hub is going to be replaced with one that has a Hyperglide freehub.

Last edited by rickrob; 07-09-19 at 07:52 AM. Reason: typo
rickrob is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 08:28 AM
  #7  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 21,925

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
It sort of looks like the smallest (threaded) cog is over-hanging the end of the freehub body, possibly a sign that the freehub body isn't meant for the 7s cassette that has been installed on it(???).

If there is less than three full turns of engagement of the smallest cog on the freehub body, I would call that dangerous.
Normally there is well more than three full turns of engagement.
I wonder if some 6-speed cogs got mixed in on this hub, and that's why it doesn't thread on all the way.

@rickrob, could you take a picture from the side of the cassette, 90 degrees rotated from what you have?
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is online now  
Old 07-09-19, 08:37 AM
  #8  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I wonder if some 6-speed cogs got mixed in on this hub, and that's why it doesn't thread on all the way.

@rickrob, could you take a picture from the side of the cassette, 90 degrees rotated from what you have?
Sure, I'll take a picture when I get home. This wheel belongs to a relative and was purchased complete as part of a set in the mid 90's
rickrob is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 11:56 AM
  #9  
Dave Mayer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 212 Times in 140 Posts
Dura-Ace 7400 freehub. I am the unfortunate owner of a few of these. The first two cogs are as rare as the Holy Grail, and necessary.

Uniglide only. The later 8-speed 7403 freehub is Hyperglide compatible, and can take up to 10 cogs. But no 11-tooth first cog.

These freehubs are even harder to find. The special tool to remove the 7400 series freehubs: maybe 1 in 100 shops will even know what you need here.

good luck.
Dave Mayer is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 12:39 PM
  #10  
speedevil 
I never finish anyth
 
speedevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western KY
Posts: 1,120

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 84 Posts
Having just gone through the 7401 to 7403 swap, I can tell you that 7403 freehubs are basically unobtainium. I got very lucky and picked up a set of 7400 hubs with a 7403 freehub off ebay. The special tool to remove the freehubs from the hub body is required. After removing 2 of them, I can say with certainty that there is no way to remove them without the tool.

I swapped the 7403 for the 7401 so that I can use a 10 speed cassette, and it does work and fits properly. The 7403 freehub has both internal threads (for a lockring) and external threads (for a threaded cog).

If you do get a 7403, take good care of it, they are very hard to find.
__________________
Dale, NL4T
speedevil is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 01:03 PM
  #11  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer View Post
Dura-Ace 7400 freehub. I am the unfortunate owner of a few of these. The first two cogs are as rare as the Holy Grail, and necessary.

Uniglide only. The later 8-speed 7403 freehub is Hyperglide compatible, and can take up to 10 cogs. But no 11-tooth first cog.

These freehubs are even harder to find. The special tool to remove the 7400 series freehubs: maybe 1 in 100 shops will even know what you need here.

good luck.
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
Having just gone through the 7401 to 7403 swap, I can tell you that 7403 freehubs are basically unobtainium. I got very lucky and picked up a set of 7400 hubs with a 7403 freehub off ebay. The special tool to remove the freehubs from the hub body is required. After removing 2 of them, I can say with certainty that there is no way to remove them without the tool.

I swapped the 7403 for the 7401 so that I can use a 10 speed cassette, and it does work and fits properly. The 7403 freehub has both internal threads (for a lockring) and external threads (for a threaded cog).

If you do get a 7403, take good care of it, they are very hard to find.
Thanks for the info-- At this point I'm going to replace the entire hub with something else and rebuild the back wheel. It's not worth the trouble. The bike is 126mm spacing and I built another set of wheels for it with 600 Tricolor 6401 hub/ 7 speed freehub that was hyperglide. Maybe I can find another FH-6401 with Hyperglide.

Any other recommendations for a 126mm freehub? I've used the RX100 FH-A550 as well.

Last edited by rickrob; 07-09-19 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added info
rickrob is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 02:02 PM
  #12  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 21,925

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by rickrob View Post
Thanks for the info-- At this point I'm going to replace the entire hub with something else and rebuild the back wheel. It's not worth the trouble. The bike is 126mm spacing and I built another set of wheels for it with 600 Tricolor 6401 hub/ 7 speed freehub that was hyperglide. Maybe I can find another FH-6401 with Hyperglide.

Any other recommendations for a 126mm freehub? I've used the RX100 FH-A550 as well.
Are the rim and spokes anything special? You might consider starting with all-new parts at this point, since a different hub might mean new spokes anyway.

I've built a couple of rear wheels around 7-speed HG hubs (Exage HG50 and 1055) and have been pleased with both of them. The RX100 and RSX wheels that I didn't build are performing well, and I have a few 6400/6401 hubs waiting for a special project, as well as some other hubs for parts or whatever. The seals are better on the 600/105 hubs, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them.

Only downside to building for 7-speed these days is that Shimano isn't making cassettes in "road" ratios anymore, just wide-ratio stuff like 11-28, 12-28, 12-32...
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 07-09-19 at 02:08 PM.
ThermionicScott is online now  
Old 07-09-19, 02:19 PM
  #13  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Are the rim and spokes anything special? You might consider starting with all-new parts at this point, since a different hub might mean new spokes anyway.

I've built a couple of rear wheels around 7-speed HG hubs (Exage HG50 and 1055) and have been pleased with both of them. The RX100 and RSX wheels that I didn't build are performing well, and I have a few 6400/6401 hubs waiting for a special project, as well as some other hubs for parts or whatever. The seals are better on the 600/105 hubs, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them.
The rims are Mavic GP4 tubulars in really great shape, with stainless spokes. It seems like a lot of money to me to buy a new hub and spokes for wheels that won't get ridden that much-- but the bike's owner wants to rebuild the wheel.
I think the clinchers I built recently up for this same bike with Sun CR-13's, Sapim DB spokes and the 6401 Tricolor hubs should stand up to just about anything. I'd just ride these tubulars as is and try to stay on flatter courses since the largest rear cog is a 24.
rickrob is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 02:41 PM
  #14  
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,425

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3408 Post(s)
Liked 2,165 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by rickrob View Post
The rims are Mavic GP4 tubulars in really great shape, ...
GP4s! Great rims. I built up a pair for the Mooney when they were current. Collapsed the rear slightly misjudging a bunny hop. Brakes had worn clear through. 17,000 miles. Saw a spoke wrench once.

That bike hasn't seen tubulars since but I am getting ready to go back. I miss the security of descending on tires that I know will never come off after a blowout. That and the sweet ride.

Ben
79pmooney is offline  
Old 07-09-19, 04:10 PM
  #15  
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Posts: 21,925

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3565 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by rickrob View Post
The rims are Mavic GP4 tubulars in really great shape, with stainless spokes. It seems like a lot of money to me to buy a new hub and spokes for wheels that won't get ridden that much-- but the bike's owner wants to rebuild the wheel.
I think the clinchers I built recently up for this same bike with Sun CR-13's, Sapim DB spokes and the 6401 Tricolor hubs should stand up to just about anything. I'd just ride these tubulars as is and try to stay on flatter courses since the largest rear cog is a 24.
D'oh! I keep forgetting these aren't your wheels. Good call.

Poking around on Spocalc, you should have no trouble relacing the spokes and rim from a 7400 7S hub to a 6401 (which has identical geometry to RX100 FH-A550 or 1055).
__________________
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
Originally Posted by noglider
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is online now  
Old 07-10-19, 02:23 PM
  #16  
rickrob 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Metro West, Boston
Posts: 355

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
I wonder if some 6-speed cogs got mixed in on this hub, and that's why it doesn't thread on all the way.

@rickrob, could you take a picture from the side of the cassette, 90 degrees rotated from what you have?
rickrob is offline  
Old 07-10-19, 02:59 PM
  #17  
Dave Mayer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 212 Times in 140 Posts
Hard to see any problem looking from the side. From an earlier pic, you do have the correct 7/8 speed first cog. It is stamped on the outside of the cog. The second cog has a built-in spacer, which is narrower in the 7-speed version. Maybe this is the problem: you have the wider 6-speed #2 cog.

Of course, for the rest of the (loose) cogs, you would need the correct (narrow) 7-speed spacers.
Dave Mayer is offline  
Old 07-10-19, 05:19 PM
  #18  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 8,395

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer View Post
Hard to see any problem looking from the side. From an earlier pic, you do have the correct 7/8 speed first cog. It is stamped on the outside of the cog. The second cog has a built-in spacer, which is narrower in the 7-speed version. Maybe this is the problem: you have the wider 6-speed #2 cog.

Of course, for the rest of the (loose) cogs, you would need the correct (narrow) 7-speed spacers.
The side view was too perfect, still can't see how many threads are over-hanging the freehub body.

The spacing of the cassette looks correct to me, normal 7s cassette.

From the freehub part number in the axle dust shield you can ID whether this is a 6s or a later 7s Dura-Ace freehub.
dddd is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
SteelCharlie
Classic & Vintage
17
02-26-17 04:02 AM
bikemore
Classic & Vintage
1
12-27-15 11:30 AM
markwesti
Bicycle Mechanics
5
07-27-15 06:07 PM
Capecodder
Bicycle Mechanics
3
07-14-11 06:20 PM
55/Rad
Classic & Vintage
16
12-14-10 08:10 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.