Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fat Chance Build Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fat Chance Build Thread

Old 11-09-20, 08:02 PM
  #51  
tricky 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Upper Left, USA
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 271 Posts
@Padgett do those brake levers take the no longer produced oversized brake cables? I have a couple sets of them and like the way they feel but using regular cables in them sketches me out a bit, especially since a cable end on a thin, modern cable broke off on me at one point and left me without rear brakes. Curious to hear how you solved that.
tricky is offline  
Old 11-10-20, 03:50 PM
  #52  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 674

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 179 Posts
Both the Nitto bars (Bosco and Albatross) are very swept back; the Bosco's almost perpendicular to the clamp and the Albatross with a bit more flare.
The cheap cruiser bars I mounted on my purple Goose look to have similar width and rise as the Bosco's but much more flare.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 11-12-20, 10:32 PM
  #53  
Padgett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas+Mississippi
Posts: 65

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky View Post
@Padgett do those brake levers take the no longer produced oversized brake cables? I have a couple sets of them and like the way they feel but using regular cables in them sketches me out a bit, especially since a cable end on a thin, modern cable broke off on me at one point and left me without rear brakes. Curious to hear how you solved that.
These take the standard mtb cable. I am not familiar with the oversized cable you mentioned. After looking into that cable, these are definitely designed for the standard, modern sized cable. Good thought though, I never considered that cable. Brakes on this bike feel so good. I am not sure if its the massive levers or what but this bike has great stopping power compared to other bikes I have ridden.
Padgett is offline  
Likes For Padgett:
Old 11-12-20, 10:41 PM
  #54  
Padgett
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas+Mississippi
Posts: 65

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO View Post
Both the Nitto bars (Bosco and Albatross) are very swept back; the Bosco's almost perpendicular to the clamp and the Albatross with a bit more flare.
The cheap cruiser bars I mounted on my purple Goose look to have similar width and rise as the Bosco's but much more flare.
Nice setup. looks like a good compromise, especially if you are running shifters like yours. Bar ends wouldn't too be happy here.
Padgett is offline  
Old 11-13-20, 09:48 AM
  #55  
bOsscO
bOsscO
 
bOsscO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 674

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 2012 Cervelo R5, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Nice setup. looks like a good compromise, especially if you are running shifters like yours. Bar ends wouldn't too be happy here.
Yes agreed, bar ends wouldn't work well with this set up.
bOsscO is offline  
Old 12-03-20, 10:56 AM
  #56  
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 221

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '92 Raleigh T-450, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie), '21 Gravity HD29 SX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Lots of love for these bikes!!! I love what you've done to rescue this!
__________________
Artist | Musician | Bass Player
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. (o.o)
RobertUI is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ClydeTim
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
5
04-19-17 03:23 PM
robertofergy
Classic & Vintage
29
06-05-11 01:10 PM
vw addict
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
31
04-03-11 08:53 PM
Neil_B
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
2
10-19-10 11:09 PM
mmediaman
Framebuilders
9
03-28-10 08:56 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.