Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Possible RRB track frameset???

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Possible RRB track frameset???

Old 09-11-19, 09:08 PM
  #1  
Senrab62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Possible RRB track frameset???

Picked this up locally off of eBay. Unsure if it is legit RRB built by Ron Boi, but it is older and it is lugged. Definitely rough, has messed up BB which is stuck and appears to have been an issue for a PO also some denting on bottom of the top tube (concerned about crash or accident) as well as rough paint. Possibly a previous owner drilled out for rear brake caliper as well. Guy I bought it from did not know a lot about it, bust said PO bought it from a guy in Racine Wisconsin (I'm in Kenosha). Looks like partial serial or some numbering on BB shell, but it's scuffed as hell and I cannot make it out for certain.

28.6 mm tubing for TT, ST, and DT. Fork looks older, a replacement maybe?

First thing will be to see if frame is straight and take it to Ron's shop to see if I can authenticate it. If it pans out, I will have it stripped, powdered, and then try to build it out with some decent parts.







The dents on bottom of TT





Any input will be appreciated. I will try to post better pics tomorrow. Will update thread after I hear from RRB and or start the build. Thanks in advance.
Senrab62 is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 10:25 PM
  #2  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,007
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 95 Posts
One thing about track bikes is that top tube dents are very common, from swinging handlebars. That might be the source of your dents if in the right place.
TenGrainBread is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 10:40 PM
  #3  
Drillium Dude 
NNNN
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 9,564

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, 1973 Colnago Super concept, 1979 Medici Pro Strada, 1979 Dennis Sparrow, 1980 Alpina, 1981 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1983 Colnago Mexico, 1985 Casati Perfection, 1985 Somec Super Corsa, 2002 Bill Davidson custom

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 119 Posts
I see the dents in the first pic - there appear to be three underneath the top tube. Not a typical place to dent one's bike in normal use/abuse.

Man, those chainstays are massive at the dropout end! And what strange treatment - the ends don't appear to have been brazed over at all.

Lastly, while I can't say for sure, I doubt this is genuine. The lugs are very clunky and don't appear to have received any thinning, same with the BB shell. No finishing attention whatsoever at the brake bridge, and if that paint job is original it was done without primer. RRBs are normally exquisite.

I wonder how it will handle if that fork isn't OEM? If it's a road fork (I see it's drilled for a brake), the rake would compromise a true track machine.

Waiting to hear more...

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:40 PM
  #4  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 23,896

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 158 Posts
I'm looking at that stuck BB - from the looks of it, the drive side still has teeth, so the primary BB shell is still presumably removable with conventional tools.

However, if it does get down to "creative" removal, it looks as if that's one of the Shimano sealed BB's that Park made a tool to adjust (believe it or not) them with: the BBT-6. It might be possible to loosen it up with that tool; not sure if it'd be possible to remove the spindle that way, but it's a thought.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:42 PM
  #5  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 23,896

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
Man, those chainstays are massive at the dropout end! And what strange treatment - the ends don't appear to have been brazed over at all.
Agreed, that's some crazy tubing. No taper whatsoever.

Whoever built it might not have cared much about the lugs, but they sure wanted to show off by brazing (soldering?) the tube/dropout interface...and nothing else.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 09-11-19, 10:48 PM
  #6  
P!N20
Senior Member
 
P!N20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
And what strange treatment - the ends don't appear to have been brazed over at all.
Not unusual for track frames which aren't typically ridden in the wet; does away with the vent holes.
P!N20 is online now  
Old 09-11-19, 11:02 PM
  #7  
Senrab62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude View Post
I see the dents in the first pic - there appear to be three underneath the top tube. Not a typical place to dent one's bike in normal use/abuse.

Man, those chainstays are massive at the dropout end! And what strange treatment - the ends don't appear to have been brazed over at all.

Lastly, while I can't say for sure, I doubt this is genuine. The lugs are very clunky and don't appear to have received any thinning, same with the BB shell. No finishing attention whatsoever at the brake bridge, and if that paint job is original it was done without primer. RRBs are normally exquisite.

I wonder how it will handle if that fork isn't OEM? If it's a road fork (I see it's drilled for a brake), the rake would compromise a true track machine.

Waiting to hear more...

DD
Ugh, thought the same when I saw it in person about the fork.

The fork, to me, looks a TON like the fork on my 57 Carlton track frame.

I was expecting rough, but after full in person inspection, I'm a bit bummed. Oh well, worst case scenario I have some strange frakenbike. Or I can try to return it on PayPal/eBay.

I'll keep you guys posted 👍
Senrab62 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 03:52 AM
  #8  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 3,397

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
RRB still has a shop in Lake Geneva. You might take it there and get an opinion. If worse comes to worst, you can bring it to Ron and Walter in Kenilworth. Plan to be there chatting for long after the discussion about the frame is complete though. Ron's a talker. If you decide to make the trek down, let me know. Happy to get together for coffee or lunch.
__________________
I prefer you contact me by email (skip.montanaro@gmail.com).
smontanaro is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 05:38 AM
  #9  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
RRB still has a shop in Lake Geneva. You might take it there and get an opinion. If worse comes to worst, you can bring it to Ron and Walter in Kenilworth. Plan to be there chatting for long after the discussion about the frame is complete though. Ron's a talker. If you decide to make the trek down, let me know. Happy to get together for coffee or lunch.
Lake Geneva store is closed.
big chainring is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 05:57 AM
  #10  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 3,397

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Dang. Thanks, Paul. I looked it up on the map. I guess one can't believe everything Google says. Recent closure?
smontanaro is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 05:57 AM
  #11  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Just a wild guess, but there was a Kenosha rider, Rick Dregne, that rode a bike similar to that. And that would have been 40 years ago so memory is a little sketchy. It sure has some similarities though.
big chainring is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 06:03 AM
  #12  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Dang. Thanks, Paul. I looked it up on the map. I guess one can't believe everything Google says. Recent closure?
Hey Skip. I think its been a couple years now.

To the OP...I am working right down the street from RRB. I can show him your pics. He will know.
big chainring is offline  
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-12-19, 06:16 AM
  #13  
thinktubes 
Fast+Bulbous
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 4,605

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
I would guess an RRB repaint.
thinktubes is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 06:19 AM
  #14  
Senrab62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
Just a wild guess, but there was a Kenosha rider, Rick Dregne, that rode a bike similar to that. And that would have been 40 years ago so memory is a little sketchy. It sure has some similarities though.
I am by NO MEANS an expert on bikes at all, but that fork does look "older" to my inexperienced eyes. Very similar to my 1957 Carlton as I stated before with the rounded fork blades. *Shrug*

Appreciate the insight!! 😎😎
Senrab62 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 06:20 AM
  #15  
Senrab62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
Hey Skip. I think its been a couple years now.

To the OP...I am working right down the street from RRB. I can show him your pics. He will know.
If you wouldn't mind that would be awesome! So awesome in fact I would name my first born Big Chainring Barnes in your honor.
Senrab62 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 06:41 AM
  #16  
crank_addict
Senior Member
 
crank_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,506
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 34 Posts
Seat cluster is familiar Boi.

Who knows but that bike was possibly raced - a workhorse who had a few mishaps, reworked. Then later converted for street use?? Curious how tight a wheelset sets in the frame and fork.

No shame. Inspect, align, refinish. Though too bad the seller hadn't disclosed the dingers.
crank_addict is offline  
Old 09-12-19, 12:46 PM
  #17  
big chainring 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wilmette, IL
Posts: 6,536
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Just came from RRB. Ron confirmed it is one of his. The chainstays are called "shotgun" chainstays. I mentioned Rick Dregne and he said yes that would be his size. And I remember Rick riding that color bike, so I would say that was his at one time. Rick Dregne was a track sprinter in the late 70's thru mid 80's. I'm sure he won several Wisconsin Track Championships.
big chainring is offline  
Likes For big chainring:
Old 09-12-19, 03:30 PM
  #18  
Senrab62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by big chainring View Post
Just came from RRB. Ron confirmed it is one of his. The chainstays are called "shotgun" chainstays. I mentioned Rick Dregne and he said yes that would be his size. And I remember Rick riding that color bike, so I would say that was his at one time. Rick Dregne was a track sprinter in the late 70's thru mid 80's. I'm sure he won several Wisconsin Track Championships.
I genuinely appreciate the leg work for me. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Makes me feel a bit better about the purchase. I simply hate buyers remorse.

Also, thanks to my buddy @crank_addict for the assist!

This forum is amazing. I will continue to update as I build up parts stash and look at the refinishing.

Quick question though:

This is no beauty queen. At all. Should I just do a workman like bike with workman like parts? What kind of track gear would be appropriate for the late 70s and 80s? Any additional input is appreciated.
Senrab62 is online now  
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 09-12-19, 04:03 PM
  #19  
Senrab62
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh yeah, I'm a beefy man , extra Clyde but I am steadily becoming a smaller Clyde lol.

I will likely be setting up with front and rear brake calipers. Any suggestions for vintage nutted brake calipers? Or go modern dual pivot nutted route? Thanks again.
Senrab62 is online now  
Old 09-12-19, 09:06 PM
  #20  
Drillium Dude 
NNNN
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bothell, WA
Posts: 9,564

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, 1973 Colnago Super concept, 1979 Medici Pro Strada, 1979 Dennis Sparrow, 1980 Alpina, 1981 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1983 Colnago Mexico, 1985 Casati Perfection, 1985 Somec Super Corsa, 2002 Bill Davidson custom

Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62 View Post
This is no beauty queen. At all. Should I just do a workman like bike with workman like parts? What kind of track gear would be appropriate for the late 70s and 80s? Any additional input is appreciated.
That's great news that it turned out to be an original. I took a look last night on CR and found there were a few pics of RRB frames, one of which was a track frame with the same "workmanlike" lugs featured on yours. There were also the requisite finely-filed lugs on a beautiful road bike as well. But it showed me that yours might just be a real one - and it is!

What to do? Well, you called it - if she's no beauty queen, build it up workmanlike. That's what I'd do. Of course, if you're looking to do it PC, you'll be wanting Campy and that can be an expensive route. I haven't shopped on CL or Ebay for track stuff, but it always seemed to come with a higher price tag a few years ago.

Looks like it will be a super project.

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.