Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need help - racing bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I need help - racing bike

Old 09-25-19, 07:03 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,321
Liked 1,899 Times in 889 Posts
Trying to upload some motivational photos for ya, but keep getting an alert.

I encourage you to see the Ironman build through. I built one last year as a gift to myself.

Started with a bare frame, but did not do a repaint. Classic frameset, modern 9 speed group.

The bike.
Is.
Awesome.

I've got four kids. You can do it. There is help here.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-25-19, 07:20 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Ironman, make it work it is exactly what you say you are looking for and to get it rideable it doesn't need a repaint or even a complete tear down. I wouldn't normally suggest it here as we are mostly a DIY group but if needs must go to your LBS for a tune up.

What I find is that on those procrastination projects, and I have had a few, if I block out time and get started they create there own momentum and if you take the make it rideable option and skip the full high zoot tear down repaint riding it will make you want to spend the time on it.

Finally its the devil you know versus what you don't I can almost guarantee any used 80s race bike you might find is going to need something. IRONMAN lol and I am not even part of the tribe....yet

Last edited by ryansu; 09-25-19 at 07:27 PM.
ryansu is offline  
Old 09-25-19, 07:26 PM
  #28  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Trying to upload some motivational photos for ya, but keep getting an alert.

I encourage you to see the Ironman build through. I built one last year as a gift to myself.

Started with a bare frame, but did not do a repaint. Classic frameset, modern 9 speed group.

The bike.
Is.
Awesome.

I've got four kids. You can do it. There is help here.
I just posted a couple photos in the Centurion thread, looking for help with the chain, tires, and cassette.

I can feel how different my bikes are based on the way it rolls, even with flat tires on the Centurion. Putting it into my bike carrier is a breeze.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-26-19, 06:47 AM
  #29  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
Ironman, make it work it is exactly what you say you are looking for and to get it rideable it doesn't need a repaint or even a complete tear down. I wouldn't normally suggest it here as we are mostly a DIY group but if needs must go to your LBS for a tune up.

What I find is that on those procrastination projects, and I have had a few, if I block out time and get started they create there own momentum and if you take the make it rideable option and skip the full high zoot tear down repaint riding it will make you want to spend the time on it.

Finally its the devil you know versus what you don't I can almost guarantee any used 80s race bike you might find is going to need something. IRONMAN lol and I am not even part of the tribe....yet
Based on where I got it (coastal Massachusetts) and the condition, it looks like this bike has spent a good part of it's existence being ridden in triathlons. With ocean swims. So the salt water has dripped on it quite a bit. It needs to be repainted just because of the salt water corrosion. It's still solid, but the surface rust is taking over. I don't trust my LBS to fix it after seeing the half-a$$ job they did with my Shogun. They mentioned nothing about needing new tires on the bike and I didn't notice (and rode it in two triathlons) before I washed the tires and realized the sidewalls were coming off in chunks. The tires themselves fell to dust when I removed them. Heck, they didn't even clean the chain and cassette. I need to find a new LBS.

I needed a bike to ride for training while waiting on new tires for the Shogun, stole my husband's mountain bike and blew not one, but two tires on it within 15 miles. (Oops.) So I'm banned from using that, too. My kid is disappointed that mom won't be riding trails with him.

I just think the Ironman was a bit more of a project than I (and my husband) expected.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 09-26-19, 10:20 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,841

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Liked 524 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Based on where I got it (coastal Massachusetts) and the condition, it looks like this bike has spent a good part of it's existence being ridden in triathlons. With ocean swims. So the salt water has dripped on it quite a bit. It needs to be repainted just because of the salt water corrosion. It's still solid, but the surface rust is taking over. I don't trust my LBS to fix it after seeing the half-a$$ job they did with my Shogun. They mentioned nothing about needing new tires on the bike and I didn't notice (and rode it in two triathlons) before I washed the tires and realized the sidewalls were coming off in chunks. The tires themselves fell to dust when I removed them. Heck, they didn't even clean the chain and cassette. I need to find a new LBS.

I needed a bike to ride for training while waiting on new tires for the Shogun, stole my husband's mountain bike and blew not one, but two tires on it within 15 miles. (Oops.) So I'm banned from using that, too. My kid is disappointed that mom won't be riding trails with him.

I just think the Ironman was a bit more of a project than I (and my husband) expected.
That does sound like a bit more than just faded paint and yes you do need a new LBS by the sound if it. As others have said there are lots of options out there in addition to the Ironman you have Cannondale crit bikes, Raleigh made a Scott Tinley Trilite, Peugeot made a tri bike in the late 80s and of course the Ironmans, good luck in your search and post some pics of your current bike, we love pictures. I did see a few chain shots on the sticky thread but post some full profile drive side shots to this thread its where all the Ironman cultists hang out

Oh and in my experience you have to grab those chances to ride with the kids while they're interested in riding with you, fix those flats steal hubbys bike and shred with your kid

A Tri lite I saw at a garage sale in May


Last edited by ryansu; 09-26-19 at 11:10 AM.
ryansu is offline  
Old 09-26-19, 11:54 AM
  #31  
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,817
Liked 3,672 Times in 1,264 Posts
Well, I offered. As did Bill.
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Likes For rccardr:
Old 09-26-19, 01:29 PM
  #32  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Well, I offered. As did Bill.
I do appreciate it! I'm looking into signing up for a 16 hour class in complete tear down and rebuilding at a shop about an hour away. I think that's one of the things that I need badly. To figure out how to do maintenance on it, take it apart with confidence that I can put it back together. At bare minimum, I'll be able to fix my kids' bikes when they break them.

Someone else in this thread mentioned another Ironman listed only a couple of hours away from me. Last night I emailed and asked for pictures. I haven't heard back.

If I come across any of the bikes listed on the website linked above, I'll jump on them, even if it's not in the best condition--who needs to park in the garage, anyway?

I agree that I just need to put time into priorities and the bike needs to be a priority for the race. I am not schlepping my current rider up 3200' of elevation over 56 miles.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Carrie
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-26-19, 01:48 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 10,127

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,691 Posts
what is budget?

thoughts

post a WTB in the C&V sales section for your size bike for racing be open to type

scan craigslist like a hawk be open to road trip

from boston craigs list not all are steel but example

52 cm from boston
https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/bi...969109202.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...984338659.html

https://providence.craigslist.org/bi...982407000.html

54 cm

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...985121755.html

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bi...972960254.html

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/bik...980622407.html

have frame powder coated not painted

consider (budget based) getting a new groupset.....and wheels save time in cleaning deals are there but going fast from uk bike shops like this tiagra 10 for 329 https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shima...uble-groupset/

or take the redo the bike a part at a time approach put the bike on the bike stand. Take 10 to 15 minutes to take off what you can. then clean and lube for 5 to 15 minutrs a day or one part or 1/2 of one part...done befoure tax season
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can.





squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-26-19, 02:54 PM
  #34  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Update:
Ironman Empire is on it. I'll be reaching out to them.
Not a lot is needed. It will be fast, will climb, and it be an Ironman.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-26-19, 03:06 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 10,127

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,691 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Update:
Ironman Empire is on it. I'll be reaching out to them.
Not a lot is needed. It will be fast, will climb, and it be an Ironman.
[MENTION=108582]RobbieTunes[/MENTION] put his Ironman cape on
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can.





squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-27-19, 01:58 AM
  #36  
aka: Dr. Cannondale
 
rccardr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,817
Liked 3,672 Times in 1,264 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
I do appreciate it! I'm looking into signing up for a 16 hour class in complete tear down and rebuilding at a shop about an hour away. I think that's one of the things that I need badly. To figure out how to do maintenance on it, take it apart with confidence that I can put it back together. At bare minimum, I'll be able to fix my kids' bikes when they break them.

Someone else in this thread mentioned another Ironman listed only a couple of hours away from me. Last night I emailed and asked for pictures. I haven't heard back.

If I come across any of the bikes listed on the website linked above, I'll jump on them, even if it's not in the best condition--who needs to park in the garage, anyway?

I agree that I just need to put time into priorities and the bike needs to be a priority for the race. I am not schlepping my current rider up 3200' of elevation over 56 miles.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Carrie
Good on you!
__________________
Hard at work in the Secret Underground Laboratory...
rccardr is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 03:00 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
mech986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: La Habra, California
Posts: 788

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Liked 347 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
[MENTION=108582]RobbieTunes[/MENTION] put his Ironman cape on
Wait, didn't he step into his Ironman armor?

__________________
Italvega and Torpado Enthusiast

Last edited by mech986; 09-27-19 at 03:05 AM.
mech986 is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 03:40 AM
  #38  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
It, uh, "chafed."
Originally Posted by mech986
Wait, didn't he step into his Ironman armor?

RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 05:49 AM
  #39  
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 5,352

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 673 Times in 301 Posts
Swap two Ironmen for one.

PM me, we can work something out. Both ready to ride.

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 06:15 AM
  #40  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Swap two Ironmen for one.

PM me, we can work something out. Both ready to ride.

Top

Mine would in no way qualify as "nice" by any stretch. Those bikes are gorgeous!
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 10:26 AM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 10,127

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,691 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Swap two Ironmen for one.

PM me, we can work something out. Both ready to ride.

Top
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Mine would in no way qualify as "nice" by any stretch. Those bikes are gorgeous!
Go for it this is for the win !!! just getting one will make you faster. Time is not an issue then, Definitely less hassle. Probably cost effective in the the differential between what $$ you would need to put into your bike and the cost of one of these will be less that you think. And more training time. and you can make your old bike as you have time project

This is what this forum is about helping and enabling n+1 Why do we help each other out so much?
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can.





squirtdad is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 11:15 AM
  #42  
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 5,352

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Liked 673 Times in 301 Posts
They've been on CL and FB most of the summer and here for a month. I'm willing to break them up.
AND I drive from Maine to Cape Cod at least once a month, usually stopping at the Hampton state liquor store......

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 11:18 AM
  #43  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Go for it this is for the win !!! just getting one will make you faster. Time is not an issue then, Definitely less hassle. Probably cost effective in the the differential between what $$ you would need to put into your bike and the cost of one of these will be less that you think. And more training time. and you can make your old bike as you have time project

This is what this forum is about helping and enabling n+1 Why do we help each other out so much?
There has been a different solution to my problem presented to me. One that has me completely dumbstruck and tremendously grateful to the members of Ironman group. (Mr. Tunes in particular.)

I'll be riding the Shogun for a little while longer, and that's okay. I need to get use out of those new tires I bought for her a month ago.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-27-19, 11:31 AM
  #44  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
They've been on CL and FB most of the summer and here for a month. I'm willing to break them up.
AND I drive from Maine to Cape Cod at least once a month, usually stopping at the Hampton state liquor store......

Top

I broached the topic of my husband getting a road bike to go with mine...(Because I'm set at the moment, thanks to the folks here.) I probably just should have picked one up for his birthday and not given the option for him to refuse. Easier to ask for forgiveness, I guess?
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 09-27-19, 02:25 PM
  #45  
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,585

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,186 Times in 2,356 Posts


.... i need help with a racing bike........

__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.
Wildwood is online now  
Old 09-27-19, 02:50 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,321
Liked 1,899 Times in 889 Posts
You are in for one sweet machine, TriBiker19.

Here's mine:


Best of luck to you.
BFisher is offline  
Likes For BFisher:
Old 09-27-19, 05:54 PM
  #47  
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 13,585

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,186 Times in 2,356 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood


.... i need help with a racing bike........


Where are The People?








....just kidding, I get so much assistance and motivation from this group it's.....addicting.
Three project bicycles being reworked and soon to be added to the group.
__________________
Vintage, modern, e-road. It is a big cycling universe.

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-27-19 at 06:21 PM.
Wildwood is online now  
Old 09-27-19, 07:53 PM
  #48  
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 497

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Told husband that I wanted the 16 hour bike rebuild class for Christmas--where you work on your own bike. (Class is in late January.) He says, "the Shogun won't need work. The Centurion will be good to go. You're going to need another bike to rebuild for the class."

OH?
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-27-19, 09:47 PM
  #49  
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,199
Liked 1,415 Times in 914 Posts
Reaching out to the Empire for a cassette.
Then we're good to go.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 09-28-19, 07:00 PM
  #50  
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,943
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Where are The People?








....just kidding, I get so much assistance and motivation from this group it's.....addicting.
Three project bicycles being reworked and soon to be added to the group.
Your reputation precedes you......

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.