Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I need help - racing bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I need help - racing bike

Old 09-28-19, 07:04 PM
  #51  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
Parts secured.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-29-19, 01:52 AM
  #52  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 12,534

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3492 Post(s)
Liked 3,671 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Your reputation precedes you...... Bill
For me, reputation is like luck.....

...if it wasn't for Bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all...


Glad to see OP is getting Ironman assistance from Mr. Iron, et al.
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 09-29-19, 08:18 AM
  #53  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
Update:

Pending time and disposables....:

Carrie reached out for advice, and Ironman Empire went outside the box, a bit.

The "even Stephen" will come on the back end. I am more risk adverse than people think, but people here have never failed to bring things full circle.

So, this deal was made on the front end, in a matter of speaking. IM Empire is trading bikes with Carrie, and then we'll see what we can do with what we get after we deliver. Experiment in human nature, right?

So, the initial:
1989 IM Master, 54cm, F/F/HS.
Velomax Circuit wheelset
Shimano R565 compact crankset 50/34
Shimano 6700 BB
Shimano 5700 FD
Shimano 5800 RD
Pinarello MOST dual pivots.
Shimano 7800 2/3x10 downtube shifters
Shimano 1050 brake levers
Terry women-specific saddle
70mm quill stem
38cm bars
Ultegra 11-27 cassette.
Probably a zero-setback seat post.
Black wrap and housing.

The black should set off the black lettering on the frame, which is the "Hard Rock" grey marbled fade over the white pearl.

The gearing is for her area. The fit is so she can get "up on it." She's spec'd the type of shifters. We are on the same page. She is already a member of IM Empire, and we have recently gotten traction with daughters, wives, and granddaughters. Time to go directly to a mom. Never know where it will end up.

I'll try to finish it up and not make it worse.

Then, it goes to Carrie, in a trade for her Ironman, and the project really begins then. We'll see then what IM Empire is made of, when there is nothing to gain for anyone.

Dumb idea ain't it? Maybe, but it's all about faith.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-29-19 at 08:25 AM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-29-19, 10:44 AM
  #54  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 12,911
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Parts secured.
Good on you, Top R, and to the IME folks All!

Originally Posted by Wildwood
For me, reputation is like luck.....

...if it wasn't for Bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all...


Glad to see OP is getting Ironman assistance from Mr. Iron, et al.
All kidding aside, I think we all would gladly help you out as much as you contribute here. One of the gentlemen that make this place like a home for me, IMHO.

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Pending time and disposables....:

Carrie reached out for advice, and Ironman Empire went outside the box, a bit.

The "even Stephen" will come on the back end. I am more risk adverse than people think, but people here have never failed to bring things full circle.

So, this deal was made on the front end, in a matter of speaking. IM Empire is trading bikes with Carrie, and then we'll see what we can do with what we get after we deliver. Experiment in human nature, right?

So, the initial:
1989 IM Master, 54cm, F/F/HS.
Velomax Circuit wheelset
Shimano R565 compact crankset 50/34
Shimano 6700 BB
Shimano 5700 FD
Shimano 5800 RD
Pinarello MOST dual pivots.
Shimano 7800 2/3x10 downtube shifters
Shimano 1050 brake levers
Terry women-specific saddle
70mm quill stem
38cm bars
Ultegra 11-27 cassette.
Probably a zero-setback seat post.
Black wrap and housing.

The black should set off the black lettering on the frame, which is the "Hard Rock" grey marbled fade over the white pearl.

The gearing is for her area. The fit is so she can get "up on it." She's spec'd the type of shifters. We are on the same page. She is already a member of IM Empire, and we have recently gotten traction with daughters, wives, and granddaughters. Time to go directly to a mom. Never know where it will end up.

I'll try to finish it up and not make it worse.

Then, it goes to Carrie, in a trade for her Ironman, and the project really begins then. We'll see then what IM Empire is made of, when there is nothing to gain for anyone.

Dumb idea ain't it? Maybe, but it's all about faith.
Nuthin' dumb about this one, y'all are why I love the C&V world.

Carrie, welcome aboard the C&V, I don't believe I had done so previously. Its great to have another lady-type amongst we heathen/barbarian male-types here.

Semper Fi sems to mean something to others also, good on y'all.

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  
Old 09-29-19, 07:19 PM
  #55  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 523

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Carrie, welcome aboard the C&V, I don't believe I had done so previously. Its great to have another lady-type amongst we heathen/barbarian male-types here.

Semper Fi sems to mean something to others also, good on y'all.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. My grandfather was a WW2 Marine and I have all his medals. Sadly, the Army and Air Force both rejected me (hearing problems). As for men--generally less drama and more humor. That's what I prefer. In both my day jobs (tax accountant and romance novelist) drama is non-stop, some of it my own making.

Really, when I read Robbie's offer I was floored. It was so incredibly generous to give me his time, expertise, and parts for this bike. It will be well-ridden. I have a 70.3 Ironman race in May in CT, with a 56 mile bike race--including substantial elevation gain, and a century in the summer while I help a friend prepare for her full Ironman. (112mi bike).

I really appreciate the welcome and generosity of this group. The advice on my current bike has helped me greatly. Today I managed to cut 4 minutes off my normal 12 mile loop just by fixing issues with the Shogun. I honestly can't wait to see my times on the Ironman. The Miami Vice one I have just rolls better than the Shogun, even with flat tires and stock components.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 09-30-19, 03:06 AM
  #56  
Millstone
Full Member
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 210

Bikes: Peugeot PR60 1977, Fuji Sportif 2.3 2019, Duell Professional SLX 1992

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 54 Posts
Nothing wrong with doing a triathlon on a vintage bike! Or a "normal" racing bike that is .
And I do love this community, nice to see stuff like this.

Good luck with your training, keep safe!
Millstone is offline  
Old 09-30-19, 03:52 AM
  #57  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,561

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Yes, She does have an Ironman and plans on only riding 80s Japanese bikes. (I know I'm a unicorn here, it's okay guys.)

Because I'm stubborn and feel like I need to appreciate quality. I like them, they're reasonably priced, and easier to work on because I have the tools available. Honestly, I see all the people in my triathlon group getting these pretty carbon fiber bikes and I just can't justify buying a bike that I would fear dumping or pay more than I've paid for several vehicles combined.
Bridgestone RB-1?
Road Fan is offline  
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-30-19, 04:05 AM
  #58  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,561

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Thanks, Bill. My grandfather was a WW2 Marine and I have all his medals. Sadly, the Army and Air Force both rejected me (hearing problems). As for men--generally less drama and more humor. That's what I prefer. In both my day jobs (tax accountant and romance novelist) drama is non-stop, some of it my own making.

Really, when I read Robbie's offer I was floored. It was so incredibly generous to give me his time, expertise, and parts for this bike. It will be well-ridden. I have a 70.3 Ironman race in May in CT, with a 56 mile bike race--including substantial elevation gain, and a century in the summer while I help a friend prepare for her full Ironman. (112mi bike).

I really appreciate the welcome and generosity of this group. The advice on my current bike has helped me greatly. Today I managed to cut 4 minutes off my normal 12 mile loop just by fixing issues with the Shogun. I honestly can't wait to see my times on the Ironman. The Miami Vice one I have just rolls better than the Shogun, even with flat tires and stock components.
Seeing this I apologize for suggesting anything but an Ironman, to an iron woman!
Road Fan is offline  
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 09-30-19, 04:18 PM
  #59  
due ruote 
Senior Member
 
due ruote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,646
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 298 Posts
Need one of these?
due ruote is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 03:12 PM
  #60  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
We're getting there.
54cm frame/fork.
Tange Levin CD headset
Pinarello MOST calipers
R525 compact crankset 50/34
6700 BB
5800 RD
5700 FD
1050 brake levers (will be moved a bit)
Nitto B115-38 bars
Nitto stem
Specialized 5mm setback seatpost
Terry Lilberator Racing Ti rail saddle
DA7800 2/3 x 10 DT shifters
Dura Ace 11-28 cassette
VeloMax Circuit wheelset
Bontrager Race X Lite tires

I need to cable it up, add a chain, do some testing. Black housings.

It's in greys and blacks, because she means business.
__________________

BLDMAMTAOLD



Last edited by RobbieTunes; 09-24-20 at 10:18 AM.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-06-19, 03:17 PM
  #61  
phenry24 
Senior Member
 
phenry24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 98

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Paramount PDG-7, Peugeot PX10, Bridgestone MB-4, Kona Unit

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
If this bike is primarily for triathlons wouldn't aerobars with bar end shifters on those be ideal? I don't know anything about triathlon rules so this could be a dumb question, the only semi-relevant experience I have is with time trials.
phenry24 is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 03:21 PM
  #62  
BFisher 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,880 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
We're getting there.
54cm frame/fork.
Tange Levin CD headset
Pinarello MOST calipers
R525 compact crankset 50/34
6700 BB
5800 RD
5700 FD
1050 brake levers (will be moved a bit)
Nitto B115-38 bars
Nitto stem
Specialized 5mm setback seatpost
Terry Lilberator Racing Ti rail saddle
DA7800 2/3 x 10 DT shifters
Dura Ace 11-28 cassette
VeloMax Circuit wheelset
Bontrager Race X Lite tires

I need to cable it up, add a chain, do some testing. Black housings.

It's in greys and blacks, because she means business.
Rock on! The way this thread is progressing is very impressive.

I hope the OP crushes her competition!
BFisher is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 03:42 PM
  #63  
Bad Lag
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: So Cal, for now
Posts: 2,155

Bikes: 1975 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 331 Posts
Meh!

Sell both of the bikes you own. Use some of that work thing called "pay" to buy a single bike that is ready to ride, preferably a ready to ride C&V bike.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 10-06-19 at 10:51 PM.
Bad Lag is online now  
Old 10-06-19, 04:01 PM
  #64  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 523

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by phenry24
If this bike is primarily for triathlons wouldn't aerobars with bar end shifters on those be ideal? I don't know anything about triathlon rules so this could be a dumb question, the only semi-relevant experience I have is with time trials.
While a lot of the competitors have those, many ride normal road bikes or add in the short aero bars. I'll probably try them at some point, but I'm going with something I'm more comfortable with. It's only a 56 mile ride and I have 4 hours to do it. (More time if I swim faster.)

I personally like the down tube shifters. I don't want to be forced into aero just to shift. I'll also be riding it in a century next summer.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 10-06-19, 05:00 PM
  #65  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
Originally Posted by phenry24
If this bike is primarily for triathlons wouldn't aerobars with bar end shifters on those be ideal? I don't know anything about triathlon rules so this could be a dumb question, the only semi-relevant experience I have is with time trials.
You have to train on something.
The Ironman was the epitome of the "train on your bike, race on your bike" mentality, and it was not aimed at the aerobar/bar end crowd.

It was aimed at real people.

Ironman people are not real. They are a figment of the wildly sensual imaginations of real people.
__________________

BLDMAMTAOLD


RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-06-19, 05:04 PM
  #66  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Meh!

Sell both of you bikes you own. Use some of that work thing called "pay" to buy a single bike that is ready to ride, preferably a ready to ride C&V bike.
I'm not sure how a "ready to ride C&V bike" is not figured into this equation. Without selling anything.
1:1 = 1, with the other bike left over.

I know, I know, there's, math, but hey, you can keep up if you try!
__________________

BLDMAMTAOLD


RobbieTunes is offline  
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 10-06-19, 05:51 PM
  #67  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 2,431

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Ugly Bill

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 840 Posts
TriBiker, and Robby Tunes,
What a great story! And a great story for the community of BF. A rider in need, and a whole group of bike repair folks helping out. I just wish I had been in from the start to help. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-06-19, 08:57 PM
  #68  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
TriBiker, and Robby Tunes,
What a great story! And a great story for the community of BF. A rider in need, and a whole group of bike repair folks helping out. I just wish I had been in from the start to help. Smiles, MH
You coming to the Hilly Hundred?
__________________

BLDMAMTAOLD


RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-07-19, 06:36 PM
  #69  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 2,431

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Ugly Bill

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 840 Posts
Robbie,
I live in Bloomington, so it is just a hop, skip, and jump away. I should be there, barring any hazards that might crop up. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 10-07-19, 06:45 PM
  #70  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 16,561

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
You coming to the Hilly Hundred?
When is it?
Road Fan is offline  
Old 10-07-19, 07:50 PM
  #71  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
When is it?
Oct 25-27.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-09-19, 01:37 AM
  #72  
Millstone
Full Member
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 210

Bikes: Peugeot PR60 1977, Fuji Sportif 2.3 2019, Duell Professional SLX 1992

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 54 Posts
You could add aerobars later, it really makes you go faster easier. And it's more comfortable (well, for me it works).

Also, you could go from DT shifters to brifters. Still quite aero ans easier in use. Although, imho, if you are racing you dont shift a lot anyway. You're just doing your thing, for quite a bit. It does depend on the course. Most races over here are quite flat .
A saddlestem with setback is also a good idea. Makes the transition from biking to running easier also (something with the angle of the hips/legs).
I have a profile fast forward one on my alu bike. Sorry to say that I dont tri on a vintage bike any more.

Anyway, good luck! Please let us know how things work out.
Millstone is offline  
Old 10-09-19, 07:22 AM
  #73  
RobbieTunes 
Banned.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27,297
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 904 Posts
OP is aware of brifters, tri-bikes, etc.
The situation is under control. The bike is nearly done.
RobbieTunes is offline  
Old 10-09-19, 07:44 AM
  #74  
Millstone
Full Member
 
Millstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arnhem NL
Posts: 210

Bikes: Peugeot PR60 1977, Fuji Sportif 2.3 2019, Duell Professional SLX 1992

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 54 Posts
Yes. I'm just very keen to see this all.
Millstone is offline  
Old 10-09-19, 09:04 AM
  #75  
bnewberry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Miyata 912, Pro, or Team.
I agree. I had a 912 in the 80ís and it was a great racing bike frame.
bnewberry is offline  
Likes For bnewberry:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.