Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1989 ALAN Record Ergal build And Post your ALAN Thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1989 ALAN Record Ergal build And Post your ALAN Thread

Old 12-30-19, 04:47 PM
  #1  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 373

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 121 Posts
1989 ALAN Record Ergal build And Post your ALAN Thread

So I finally finished A bike, This AlAn was built from a used frameset and most of the major components from my ill fated "Rusty Raleigh Pro" project, the less said about that project the better. So in an effort to not bore you to death with one of my OCD builds let's just skip to the completed bike.

I name most of my builds so let me introduce you to Hattori Hanzo a 1989 Alan Record Ergal built with full Dura-Ace 7703 triple components with the exception of the hubs which are large flange SunXCD. In the spirit of Nuovo Record I modified a set of pre CPSC Nuovo skewers to work with the 130mm spacing. The Rims are 36 hole Ambrosio Excellence and the wheels were built by Jet Bicycle Wheels in San Diego using stainless Wheelsmith butted spokes and brass nipples, the spokes are tied and soldered for old school appeal.
Other Dura-Ace bits are the 7400 aero seat post, the 7410 headset, 7700 downtube shifters and the first generation M-100 Dura-Ace levers. the Italian content is the 2nd generation 3TTT Record stem and 3TTT Superleggero Merckx bend bars. The seat is a Selle Anatomica and the chain is a hollow pin KMC with titanium nitride plating.
The issues with the build were the condition of the internal seat tube that at one time had a stuck seatpost, that had to be fixed by reaming .010 oversize to get the surface acceptable and making a .005 CDA 260 alloy 1/2 hard shim to make up the clearance, while I was at it I made my own seat bolt. The only other work out of the ordinary was the ledge on the derailleur mount that the the "B" screw lands on was extremely short this required making a new "B" screw with a shaped head to catch the short ledge, otherwise assembly was smooth sailing.
Now onto the photos.



















: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Likes For Nemosengineer:
Old 12-30-19, 05:31 PM
  #2  
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,862

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
Lovely bicycle!

My only Alan is just a fork. (No, I don't think I'll use it for the start of a build)

Anyone looking for one of these with a long steerer?


[
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 05:34 PM
  #3  
xiaoman1 
Slightly Mental
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,133

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
So I finally finished A bike, This AlAn was built from a used frameset and most of the major components from my ill fated "Rusty Raleigh Pro" project, the less said about that project the better. So in an effort to not bore you to death with one of my OCD builds let's just skip to the completed bike.

I name most of my builds so let me introduce you to Hattori Hanzo a 1989 Alan Record Ergal built with full Dura-Ace 7703 triple components with the exception of the hubs which are large flange SunXCD. In the spirit of Nuovo Record I modified a set of pre CPSC Nuovo skewers to work with the 130mm spacing. The Rims are 36 hole Ambrosio Excellence and the wheels were built by Jet Bicycle Wheels in San Diego using stainless Wheelsmith butted spokes and brass nipples, the spokes are tied and soldered for old school appeal.
Other Dura-Ace bits are the 7400 aero seat post, the 7410 headset, 7700 downtube shifters and the first generation M-100 Dura-Ace levers. the Italian content is the 2nd generation 3TTT Record stem and 3TTT Superleggero Merckx bend bars. The seat is a Selle Anatomica and the chain is a hollow pin KMC with titanium nitride plating.
The issues with the build were the condition of the internal seat tube that at one time had a stuck seatpost, that had to be fixed by reaming .010 oversize to get the surface acceptable and making a .005 CDA 260 alloy 1/2 hard shim to make up the clearance, while I was at it I made my own seat bolt. The only other work out of the ordinary was the ledge on the derailleur mount that the the "B" screw lands on was extremely short this required making a new "B" screw with a shaped head to catch the short ledge, otherwise assembly was smooth sailing.
Now onto the photos.



















: Mike
Mike,
That is very one very tasty ALAN....are you going to put any decals on it or leave it as is, BTW what's the gearing on it?
Either way, it's quite fine!
Best, Ben
xiaoman1 is offline  
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-30-19, 05:35 PM
  #4  
xiaoman1 
Slightly Mental
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,133

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
Lovely bicycle!

My only Alan is just a fork. (No, I don't think I'll use it for the start of a build)

Anyone looking for one of these with a long steerer?


[
LC, Everyone starts somewhere!
Ben
xiaoman1 is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 05:50 PM
  #5  
crank_addict
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,144
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 378 Times in 246 Posts
I like it!

Only questionable choice are the tied and soldered spokes. A bit over the top but surely makes for conversation.

Reminds me of my Teledyne build.
crank_addict is offline  
Likes For crank_addict:
Old 12-30-19, 06:09 PM
  #6  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,920

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 470 Posts
Very pretty Alan! I like the "black & white" color scheme.

It also reminds me I have to get my own Alan back on the road.
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #63: Idle Burg
non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-30-19, 06:20 PM
  #7  
TenGrainBread 
Senior Member
 
TenGrainBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 2,585

Bikes: Cherubim, Alps, a few Schwinns

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 248 Posts
Nice build!
TenGrainBread is offline  
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 12-30-19, 06:31 PM
  #8  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 373

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict View Post
I like it!

Only questionable choice are the tied and soldered spokes. A bit over the top but surely makes for conversation.

Reminds me of my Teledyne build.
Your Alpine Teledyne was inspirational in this build, I consider that a big complement .
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 06:45 PM
  #9  
Nemosengineer 
Hair Ball
Thread Starter
 
Nemosengineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Murrieta Ca.
Posts: 373

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1 View Post
Mike,
That is very one very tasty ALAN....are you going to put any decals on it or leave it as is, BTW what's the gearing on it?
Either way, it's quite fine!
Best, Ben
Hi Ben,
Decals are unknown at this point, it was peeled when I got it so it could be branded as ???, so I'm undecided at the moment. This is what the gearing looks like.



: Mike
__________________
Booyah Hubba-Hubba!!!
Nemosengineer is offline  
Old 12-30-19, 07:00 PM
  #10  
xiaoman1 
Slightly Mental
 
xiaoman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Weird Coast City of the Angels
Posts: 3,133

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer View Post
Hi Ben,
Decals are unknown at this point, it was peeled when I got it so it could be branded as ???, so I'm undecided at the moment. This is what the gearing looks like.



: Mike
Mike,
I have one that has been waiting in the queue for a while that is why I was asking...you are right it could be a Colnago Alan or Guercioti..Alan did a lot of outsourcing of frames for rebranding...come to think of it mine could be a "Colnago" because it came to me sans decals. (no flames please)
I like the all-aluminum but also like the colored lettering...I am going to add a pinstripe to mine too.
Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 12-30-19 at 07:08 PM.
xiaoman1 is offline  
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 12-30-19, 07:07 PM
  #11  
mackgoo
Senior Member
 
mackgoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 444

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 96 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 93 Times in 49 Posts
mackgoo is offline  
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 12-30-19, 09:58 PM
  #12  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,200
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 151 Times in 117 Posts

Not an Ergal, but an 86 Carbonio. One if my favorite builds and best ever handling bike, so far.
__________________
72 Line Seeker
83 Davidson Signature
84 Peugeot PSV
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Chombi1 is offline  
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 12-31-19, 08:43 AM
  #13  
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 4,809

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Mine is a Record badged as a Guerciotti. Various bits of 7400-7403.




Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Likes For top506:
Old 12-31-19, 10:46 AM
  #14  
randyjawa 
Senior Member
 
randyjawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada - burrrrr!
Posts: 10,042

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, Rocky Mountain Cardiac, 196? Torpado Professional

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 416 Times in 277 Posts
I really liked my ALAN but, as is often the case, when something new shows up, something already in the shed needs to go. Anyway, my ALAN lives elsewhere but I liked the bike a great deal more than my very similar Vitus...
__________________
"98% of the bikes I buy are projects".
randyjawa is offline  
Likes For randyjawa:
Old 12-31-19, 03:54 PM
  #15  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,531

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 314 Times in 240 Posts
Looks like top506 beat me to it with the ALAN-as-Guerciotti Record, near same size even.


dddd is offline  
Likes For dddd:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.