Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Cannondale R400

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Cannondale R400

Old 01-14-20, 07:47 PM
  #1  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
New Cannondale R400

OK, so I will pick this up tomorrow from a local LBS. Right off the bat I see I mis-titled this thread R400. Duh, sorry. I "think" it's a 1999 model. I got a pretty good discount off the asking, but maybe not as much as some might say was prudent. That said, even if my wallet was larger than my common sense, I called them back after I left and asked them to hold it for me and they obliged. I love the color and an unblemished frame is hard to find in my neck of the woods. Besides, the only bikes I've ever regretted are the ones I wanted and walked away from.

https://louisville.craigslist.org/bi...040278261.html

I had an R300 one time before with the red/yellow fade paint scheme, but sold it pretty quick when some lady I randomly met asked if I wanted to sell it. I made $200, so I didn't complain. It was a $75 purchase.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find any info on (at least with my Google skilz...):
1. What are the differences in the numbers after the "R", such as 300, 400, 500, etc. Was it simply an upgrade in the component levels or where each one's frame significantly different also?.
2. I have sort of deduced what the R, H, M, and T letters mean, but what is SR? Are those the ones with steerer tube shock?
3. Will 28's fit this bike, or does anyone have any experience with that. I have read "no", but not about the R300 specifically.
4. Lastly, what are people's opinions on the RSX group? I had it on a Trek back in the late 90's, but back then I wasn't riding much and it was a garage hanging impulse buy that reminded me each time I walked by it.

Thanks to all in advance. Please excuse my ignorance on all things Cannondale of those years.

*EDIT*
I am placing the CL photos below due to the fact the ad will probably be taken down by the LBS any time now.










__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 01-17-20 at 02:19 PM.
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-15-20, 06:35 AM
  #2  
morri869 
Senior Member
 
morri869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 79

Bikes: 1994 specialized epic, 1986 Nishiki Riviera GT, 1981 Shogun 2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You are buying what looks to be a super clean Cannondale! I have had a few pass through and I have always thought they ride great.

In response to your questions:
1. For most years in the 90's and earlier all the bikes of a certain series (Sr, sh, st...) had the same frame. As you climb up on model numbers generally the components got better and you may have gotten a carbon fork on some later models.

2. These designate the intended style of the bike. SR= racing, SH=hybrid, SM= mountain, and ST= touring

3. It looks like there are 25 mm tires on the bike you linked to already and clearance for 28's could be very tight. I don't have experience with the 1999 model year but I would say chances are slim that 28's will fit well.

4. I have personally had the RSX group on a few bikes and it works really nice. I believe the RSX group was a step below 105 when it was released, but the only difference you might notice is the components are a little heavier. The shifters can sometimes get gummed up from old grease but they are some of the few that are able to be dismantled and cleaned, which is a plus.

Overall you are getting a solid bike for what seems like a good, ready to ride price. Get out there and have fun!
morri869 is offline  
Likes For morri869:
Old 01-15-20, 08:52 AM
  #3  
stardognine
Senior Member
 
stardognine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Arid Arizona, for now.
Posts: 2,173

Bikes: 1995 Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 109 Times in 94 Posts
That was the model that started my unhealthy obsession with Cannondales, lol. 😁😉 I got a nice deal on an R400 frameset, that was never built up before, and learned the hard way how expensive that can get. 🙄

I still loved that bike, but mostly it was a great learning experience. 😉
stardognine is offline  
Likes For stardognine:
Old 01-15-20, 12:41 PM
  #4  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by morri869 View Post
You are buying what looks to be a super clean Cannondale! I have had a few pass through and I have always thought they ride great.

In response to your questions:
1. For most years in the 90's and earlier all the bikes of a certain series (Sr, sh, st...) had the same frame. As you climb up on model numbers generally the components got better and you may have gotten a carbon fork on some later models.

2. These designate the intended style of the bike. SR= racing, SH=hybrid, SM= mountain, and ST= touring

3. It looks like there are 25 mm tires on the bike you linked to already and clearance for 28's could be very tight. I don't have experience with the 1999 model year but I would say chances are slim that 28's will fit well.

4. I have personally had the RSX group on a few bikes and it works really nice. I believe the RSX group was a step below 105 when it was released, but the only difference you might notice is the components are a little heavier. The shifters can sometimes get gummed up from old grease but they are some of the few that are able to be dismantled and cleaned, which is a plus.

Overall you are getting a solid bike for what seems like a good, ready to ride price. Get out there and have fun!
THANK YOU! I saw my post sinking like the Titanic down the list and figured everyone was giving me the cold shoulder asking such rudimentary questions. Or maybe because it had brifters, which is about where C&V draw the line in the sand.
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-15-20, 12:51 PM
  #5  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 6,517

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 121 Posts
looking at that bike if you got a good discount from the $329, I think you got a decent buy...... let us know how it rides for you congrats
__________________
Looking for more time to ride what I have
squirtdad is offline  
Old 01-15-20, 02:52 PM
  #6  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
looking at that bike if you got a good discount from the $329, I think you got a decent buy...... let us know how it rides for you congrats
$289. But then Uncle Kentucky got his share at 6%. So... a tad over $300. I plan on taking the triple off and putting on 600 Tricolor 8-speed (53/39).

The ride is nice, but it's the first bike I've owned with severe toe overlap. I'm going to have to be careful at low speed until I get used to it.
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-15-20, 03:35 PM
  #7  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,655

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 70 Posts
RSX is nice stuff, I have most of the group that came on my R500T still. Enjoy the ride, I loved the R500T, and my daughter rode it until she got her Bianchi last year. The triple crankset and brifter should sell easily.

Bill
__________________
I Didn't Choose To Have Parkinson's Disease, I Have Chosen Not To Allow It To Define How I Live
Life Member "Hairy Eared Engineer's Society"
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
qcpmsame is offline  
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-15-20, 04:28 PM
  #8  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find any info on (at least with my Google skilz...):

3. Will 28's fit this bike, or does anyone have any experience with that. I have read "no", but not about the R300 specifically.
4. Lastly, what are people's opinions on the RSX group? I had it on a Trek back in the late 90's, but back then I wasn't riding much and it was a garage hanging impulse buy that reminded me each time I walked by it.

Thanks to all in advance. Please excuse my ignorance on all things Cannondale of those years.
I just completed a rebuild of an R300 myself. I posted here, similarly, with a few Q's too. The thread is here: Help me update this 1999 Cannondale R300 Caad2
Pics of the finished product and a pretty complete parts list are toward the bottom (it's just a single page). It shined up quite nice.
If you want to see pics of all the work (old parts, removing old stuff, putting on the new) a complete album of the rebuild is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rattle...57710249815572
Sneak peek:
Spoiler
 


Yes, 28s will fit. I have a set of 700x28 Kendas on my R300 currently.
So far, the RSX has been great. Brakes are strong, and the rear derailleur is pretty smooth. I went to a 1x8, so I can't speak to the operation of the front derailleur. But the trigger shifter I have travels up and down the cassette with ease. Quite impressed.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing your final product!
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 01-15-20, 05:27 PM
  #9  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
I just completed a rebuild of an R300 myself. I posted here, similarly, with a few Q's too. The thread is here: Help me update this 1999 Cannondale R300 Caad2
Pics of the finished product and a pretty complete parts list are toward the bottom (it's just a single page). It shined up quite nice.
If you want to see pics of all the work (old parts, removing old stuff, putting on the new) a complete album of the rebuild is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rattle...57710249815572
Sneak peek:
Spoiler
 




Yes, 28s will fit. I have a set of 700x28 Kendas on my R300 currently.
So far, the RSX has been great. Brakes are strong, and the rear derailleur is pretty smooth. I went to a 1x8, so I can't speak to the operation of the front derailleur. But the trigger shifter I have travels up and down the cassette with ease. Quite impressed.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing your final product!
Hey, thanks! You're ride looks awesome! What an amazing job your did! Good to know 28's will fit. I think those are in my future as I've heard these bikes can be pretty stiff. Also, it appears I was indeed correct that this is a 1999 model, by the look of yours. You really had a good eye and you tastefully modded yours. So cool....
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 01-15-20 at 05:31 PM.
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-16-20, 09:50 AM
  #10  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
Hey, thanks! You're ride looks awesome! What an amazing job your did! Good to know 28's will fit. I think those are in my future as I've heard these bikes can be pretty stiff. Also, it appears I was indeed correct that this is a 1999 model, by the look of yours. You really had a good eye and you tastefully modded yours. So cool....
Thanks. It rides pretty alright. Yes, sorry, I forgot to say it's a 1999. Here's the catalog from that year that has all the models http://vintagecannondale.com/year/1999/1999V2.pdf
The bike is on page 53. Specs are on page 91. Geometry/sizing on page 95.
Good luck@
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 07:29 AM
  #11  
trailmix
Senior Member
 
trailmix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 594

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Will 28s fit? Yes and no. I have dozens of Cannondales and one of my favorites is a 1998 R1000 and certain brands of 28s will fit and some are just a little too tight. Also it helps to have the wheels trued if they have any movement. I have found that the newer (mid-late 90s+) R series bikes can usually get away with a slightly larger tire than the bikes from the 80s and very early 90s. Also Panaracer makes a few 26mm width tires like the gravel king that may be an option too.
trailmix is offline  
Likes For trailmix:
Old 01-17-20, 08:46 AM
  #12  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
OK, I've updated the bike from triple RSX to 600 Ultegra Tri-Color double. Replaced the bar tape also.

Just thought I'd update the photos for everyone to have a look:





__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-17-20, 09:51 AM
  #13  
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,490

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 201 Posts
That looks super clean, if it fits and you like the ride then paying a premium isn't a big deal IMHO I usually buy a ratty version but then fork out for tires chain bar wrap etc not to mention my labor so I am probably $300 all by the time I am finished. I started my adult cycling journey on a 99 R800 so I have a soft spot for late 90s Cannondales, Enjoy


R800 now long gone
ryansu is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 10:27 AM
  #14  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Pics of the new crankset?
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 02:10 PM
  #15  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy View Post
Pics of the new crankset?
I had to use a different bolt due to the fact my caps are missing the rubber washers. I have no idea what happened to those as the package was sealed.

I have bookmarked your build photos on my computer. I like what you did with the stem on your bike. Very nice build and well done indeed!



__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 01-17-20 at 02:22 PM.
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 02:11 PM
  #16  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu View Post
That looks super clean, if it fits and you like the ride then paying a premium isn't a big deal IMHO I usually buy a ratty version but then fork out for tires chain bar wrap etc not to mention my labor so I am probably $300 all by the time I am finished. I started my adult cycling journey on a 99 R800 so I have a soft spot for late 90s Cannondales, Enjoy


R800 now long gone
So SAD that that one is gone! Wow! What a beautiful ride!!
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Likes For UKFan4Sure:
Old 01-17-20, 02:49 PM
  #17  
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,490

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
So SAD that that one is gone! Wow! What a beautiful ride!!
It only took me a decade to figure out 54cm was too small! I ride a 58cm in C&V and have about 5 bikes now that keep me busy plus a few projects, I do occasionally look for old Cannondales though,,,,,,
ryansu is offline  
Likes For ryansu:
Old 01-17-20, 03:25 PM
  #18  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu View Post
It only took me a decade to figure out 54cm was too small! I ride a 58cm in C&V and have about 5 bikes now that keep me busy plus a few projects, I do occasionally look for old Cannondales though,,,,,,
It's funny you say that, I am only 5'9" and prefer a 23 inch, even though I shouldn't be riding one. On smaller frames, I feel cramped up.
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 04:25 PM
  #19  
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles
 
the sci guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 2,765
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
I had to use a different bolt due to the fact my caps are missing the rubber washers. I have no idea what happened to those as the package was sealed.

I have bookmarked your build photos on my computer. I like what you did with the stem on your bike. Very nice build and well done indeed!
Wonderful looking crank. That's a really nice groupset - did you find it on eBay?

I knew I wanted a certain look, and while I could have got the Nitto bars in a clamp width typical for old quill stems (which is what these threaded headsets take), I decided to try the adapter and use a more modern stem, especially since the frame tubing is wide enough to match the new stem and not look weird. I did run into some spacing issues - I couldn't add another spacer on the headset itself as it left hardly any threads on the fork exposed, so that's why the spacer ended up on top of the adapter. The barrel of the adapter is just a tad taller than the clamping area of the Ritchey stem, and it looks really bad leaving any gaps. So I moved it as far down as possible, and the black space fit just perfect on top.
I was concerned about how the transition from the top nut on the threaded headset to the modern stem would look since they aren't necessarily the same shape or diameter, and thankfully after it was all spaced properly, it turned out not looking too bad.
__________________
Twitter@theSurlyBiker
Instagram@theSurlyBiker
the sci guy is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 06:32 PM
  #20  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
There is something to be said for the thought that goes into trying to make something fit and look right. Some people don't really care about looks and concern themselves with function only. Your bike looks great, sci guy! Well done!

I did indeed get this set off eBay, from Canada. Very nice seller. He originally sent the wrong FD, but sent another one immediately and told me to keep the old one. Then, he threw in the UN-55 bottom bracket for free also. I like these because they are no fuss. Don't need an Ultegra 600 Italian BB do you?
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-17-20, 06:41 PM
  #21  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,655

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
OK, I've updated the bike from triple RSX to 600 Ultegra Tri-Color double. Replaced the bar tape also.

Just thought I'd update the photos for everyone to have a look:





You made that one a really nice ride, very nicely done sir.

Bill
__________________
I Didn't Choose To Have Parkinson's Disease, I Have Chosen Not To Allow It To Define How I Live
Life Member "Hairy Eared Engineer's Society"
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
qcpmsame is offline  
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-17-20, 06:57 PM
  #22  
JayGK927
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: boston, ma
Posts: 31

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Gary Fisher Mamba, winter commuter, rigid 26" mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great build! I just stumbled upon a 2003 R400 frame for a song on craigslist. Needs a lot of love but I want to bring it back to life and your build is definitely inspiring me to get started!
JayGK927 is offline  
Likes For JayGK927:
Old 01-17-20, 09:01 PM
  #23  
UKFan4Sure 
Useless Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by JayGK927 View Post
Great build! I just stumbled upon a 2003 R400 frame for a song on craigslist. Needs a lot of love but I want to bring it back to life and your build is definitely inspiring me to get started!
I always look for good bones in a bike, like the paint and general condition of the wheelset. The rest is all bolt-ons and can be changed. It's hard to fix an ugly frame though. Good luck with the R400. Inspiration seems to be thriving around here!
__________________
2013 Schwinn Paramount Series 8, 2015 Specialized Roubaix Competition, 2008 Trek Portland, 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1985 Peugeot PGN-10, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur
UKFan4Sure is offline  
Old 01-18-20, 11:13 AM
  #24  
ryansu 
Ride.Smile.Repeat
 
ryansu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seattle WA
Posts: 2,490

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 2012 Soma Smoothie, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure View Post
It's funny you say that, I am only 5'9" and prefer a 23 inch, even though I shouldn't be riding one. On smaller frames, I feel cramped up.
I have the legs of my 5' 8" brothers but with a long torso that got me to 5' 11" so my stand over is cramped on a 23" frame but the TT length is spot on for me.
ryansu is offline  
Old 01-19-20, 12:44 AM
  #25  
zjrog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,395

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1992 Trek 1400, 1998 Cannondale R200, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 91 Posts
I've got a 98 CAD2 R200. RSX 2x7 originally. Swapped in 105 triple crankset and FD.


Never mind the seat angle. This bike is on trainer duty at present.

I'm kind of looking at a 97 R300, but it is quite a way from here. I had someone headed that way to go snag it for me. But his plans changed.

You got a sweet ride!
zjrog is offline  
Likes For zjrog:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.