Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Spray.bike paint?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spray.bike paint?

Old 01-28-20, 06:34 AM
  #1  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 496

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Spray.bike paint?

I picked up a Shogun 500 yesterday and the paint is really scuffed in several places, but the bike isnít rusty. (Which is weird for my area, but, whatever.)

I was looking to repaint it myself as a project. Itís currently dark blue with tan. I was looking up the options and came across Spray.bike paint. I want it to be black when Iím done.

Has anyone used it? It looks like the biggest benefit is that it doesnít drip, making it a little easier to work with than other paint options.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 06:52 AM
  #2  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
I picked up a Shogun 500 yesterday and the paint is really scuffed in several places, but the bike isnít rusty. (Which is weird for my area, but, whatever.)

I was looking to repaint it myself as a project. Itís currently dark blue with tan. I was looking up the options and came across Spray.bike paint. I want it to be black when Iím done.

Has anyone used it? It looks like the biggest benefit is that it doesnít drip, making it a little easier to work with than other paint options.
Its supposed to be good paint. Pricey, IMHO. I have not tried it, but I've watched a lot of their how-to videos. I might use it on my Holdsworth frame.
__________________
Cargo Bike Build: https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-c...l#post22024218
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 07:20 AM
  #3  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 496

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Its supposed to be good paint. Pricey, IMHO. I have not tried it, but I've watched a lot of their how-to videos. I might use it on my Holdsworth frame.
I came across a video when I watched the GCN guys building a gravel racer. Looked interesting and easier to use than a regular rattle can. Iím not going to try any of the weird designs or anything, just a full black, and maybe make the head tube silver, but it depends on how the black paint goes...
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 07:55 AM
  #4  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,735
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 353 Posts
Start from reply 53 on this thread for more info: Do's and Don'ts when restoring a vintage bike.
__________________
███████████████

francophile is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 08:29 AM
  #5  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 496

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Start from reply 53 on this thread for more info: Do's and Don'ts when restoring a vintage bike.
I found that thread when I was searching for reviews of people who had used it. No one says the've actually used that product, though, they just comment on the price.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Likes For TriBiker19:
Old 01-28-20, 09:50 AM
  #6  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,735
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
I found that thread when I was searching for reviews of people who had used it. No one says the've actually used that product, though, they just comment on the price.
Gotcha. I'd banged through a lot of reviews and got more info from this video than anywhere else (skipped to 1:23 for the meat): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG7B7knRK3U#t=1m23

Still doesn't help with understanding if it's worthwhile, but it did help to understand more about the product details. They also have a YouTube channel which you may've already found: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAR...xrdSPVeE3L5K7Q

There's a few videos using the product which aren't sponsored by the channel, and I walked away with mixed reviews.
__________________
███████████████

francophile is offline  
Likes For francophile:
Old 01-28-20, 11:12 AM
  #7  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Still doesn't help with understanding if it's worthwhile, but it did help to understand more about the product details. There's a few videos using the product which aren't sponsored by the channel, and I walked away with mixed reviews.
These two sentences perfectly describe how I feel about it. I'm leery of how well a good 2K clear with act when its laid over top of the acrylic. There's no problem using original rustoleum enamel as a color base, but many other brands truly are not suitable (in my opinion) for achieving a good hard finish. Then there's the color-match. Spray.Bike has a weird variety of colors and I think they are expecting people to simply go hog wild with patterns and effects instead of replicating the OG paint. Like you, I am dubious for its use in a C&V application.
__________________
Cargo Bike Build: https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-c...l#post22024218
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 12:51 PM
  #8  
francophile 
PM me your cotters
 
francophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,735
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
These two sentences perfectly describe how I feel about it. I'm leery of how well a good 2K clear with act when its laid over top of the acrylic. There's no problem using original rustoleum enamel as a color base, but many other brands truly are not suitable (in my opinion) for achieving a good hard finish. Then there's the color-match. Spray.Bike has a weird variety of colors and I think they are expecting people to simply go hog wild with patterns and effects instead of replicating the OG paint. Like you, I am dubious for its use in a C&V application.
I'm not sure, is 2K compatible with acrylic? I know you can lay it down over rattle-can enamel. Either way, Spray.Bike has a clearcoat product in both matte and gloss finishes. Although 2K finishes are incredible, despite how dangerous it is to human lungs & skin, I doubt Spray.Bike's would compare.

What's also unclear to me is whether or not you can lay waterslides over their base, then use their clear over it. I assume you can, but you know what they say about assuming!

I'm curious also about the longevity of the product based on what I saw in a video, claiming "instructions say to keep whatever's left in the can for touch-ups later, for scratches or the product wearing off".
__________________
███████████████

francophile is offline  
Likes For francophile:
Old 01-28-20, 01:07 PM
  #9  
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Niles, Michigan
Posts: 780
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 210 Posts
I doubt my post here is going to helpful because I'm a pro and not an amateur or hobby painter. If I didn't have all my professional equipment I would use Spray Max aerosol can paint. This is a company that makes aerosol cans designed for local automotive paint suppliers to put whatever epoxy type of paint you choose inside. When you punch the bottom button it sends the activator into the paint so it now becomes ready to use. Of course It has to be used within a couple of hours because it hardens by chemical action. Their nozzles are supposed to be superior. And no I don't have a personal testimony since I've never used it myself. There was a subject thread on Paceline a year or so ago where users had found it a good product. To put it another way it is pro paint put in aerosol cans by local suppliers for amateurs to use.

What I do know is that I would use a good primer. I love House of Kolor primers because they come in primary colors as well as black, white and gray. This is an advantage if the color paint gets chipped exposing the primer (I mix the primary colors to get closer to the final color) and provides better top color coverage. Some colors like yellow can be very difficult to get full coverage and might require extra coats. In fact the yellow, blue and red H of K primers are good enough colors by themselves to go straight to clean. After the color coats, polyurethane clear in Spray Max can be applied and if necessary buffed to a smoother finish after it has fully cured.
Doug Fattic is online now  
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-28-20, 02:45 PM
  #10  
mstateglfr 
Sunshine
 
mstateglfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 12,342

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5063 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
Has anyone used it? It looks like the biggest benefit is that it doesnít drip, making it a little easier to work with than other paint options.
I have used it on 3 bikes and plan to use it on a 4th frame this spring.

Put simply- It is better than spraypaint and worse than powdercoating.
The end result and quality completely depends almost entirely on preparation and a little on execution. It is dead simple to use- the directions for each type(color, clearcoat, primer, etc) varies, but if you follow the directions its pretty tough to mess up.
My first was flat black with a green sparkle flake finish. Its lasted a couple years on a road bike that I use for 30% of my riding as well as being my trainer bike.

spray.bike will not be as smooth as wet paint or quality powdercoat. It will be more durable and therefore look better than spraypaint.

If you want just black- why not powdercoat? A powdercoater near me will do a frame for $75 in colors he has in stock(black being one). If you want to feel like its your project still , then strip the current paint and remove all rust.
A primer, paint, and clear coat for spray.bike is probably $50 once shipping is added in.
mstateglfr is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 03:10 PM
  #11  
Velo Mule
Senior Member
 
Velo Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,124

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Electra Cantilever, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn World, Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
I doubt my post here is going to helpful because I'm a pro and not an amateur or hobby painter. If I didn't have all my professional equipment I would use Spray Max aerosol can paint. This is a company that makes aerosol cans designed for local automotive paint suppliers to put whatever epoxy type of paint you choose inside. When you punch the bottom button it sends the activator into the paint so it now becomes ready to use. Of course It has to be used within a couple of hours because it hardens by chemical action. Their nozzles are supposed to be superior. And no I don't have a personal testimony since I've never used it myself. There was a subject thread on Paceline a year or so ago where users had found it a good product. To put it another way it is pro paint put in aerosol cans by local suppliers for amateurs to use.

What I do know is that I would use a good primer. I love House of Kolor primers because they come in primary colors as well as black, white and gray. This is an advantage if the color paint gets chipped exposing the primer (I mix the primary colors to get closer to the final color) and provides better top color coverage. Some colors like yellow can be very difficult to get full coverage and might require extra coats. In fact the yellow, blue and red H of K primers are good enough colors by themselves to go straight to clean. After the color coats, polyurethane clear in Spray Max can be applied and if necessary buffed to a smoother finish after it has fully cured.
This is quite helpful especially coming from you. I got two things out of your comments. 1. You would use Spray Max, a 2 component system, if you had to use spray cans, 2, When you use your regular spray paint equipment, you prefer HOK paint, which seems to have an excellent reputation (I haven't used it yet), 3. You use primers in the color of the paint so that if/when the paint gets chipped, the primer color will not be so different than the original color coat.

I can't say how much that helps out TriBiker19, but I've learned a bunch. These are gems.
Velo Mule is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 03:11 PM
  #12  
SB_Greg 
Senior Member
 
SB_Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 246

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5; 1965 Peugeot PX10; 1974 Peugeot PX10E

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Ive used this on one frame. The Pros: It is easy to use and it looks great. The Cons: it seems just as fragile and easy to chip off as cheap spray paint.

Last edited by SB_Greg; 01-28-20 at 09:38 PM.
SB_Greg is offline  
Likes For SB_Greg:
Old 01-28-20, 04:10 PM
  #13  
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time
 
Last ride 76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Northern Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 1,935

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 219 Posts
Holdsworth paint

Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Its supposed to be good paint. Pricey, IMHO. I have not tried it, but I've watched a lot of their how-to videos. I might use it on my Holdsworth frame.
If you do, LMK, as I picked up a very rough 1973 Professional a few weeks ago!
Cheers, Eric
Last ride 76 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 04:17 PM
  #14  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,410

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 402 Posts
my 2 cents, painting well takes a ton of prep, cost more than you would think and unless you go to the automotive level finishes is not at all durable....which is a pain considering the effort.

Unless you are the ultimate DIY person and want to do it for the learning and experience, I would suggest powder coat,
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
squirtdad is offline  
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-28-20, 08:03 PM
  #15  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76 View Post
If you do, LMK, as I picked up a very rough 1973 Professional a few weeks ago!
Cheers, Eric
You got it, Eric!
__________________
Cargo Bike Build: https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-c...l#post22024218
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 08:13 PM
  #16  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
I doubt my post here is going to helpful because I'm a pro and not an amateur or hobby painter. If I didn't have all my professional equipment I would use Spray Max aerosol can paint. This is a company that makes aerosol cans designed for local automotive paint suppliers to put whatever epoxy type of paint you choose inside. When you punch the bottom button it sends the activator into the paint so it now becomes ready to use. Of course It has to be used within a couple of hours because it hardens by chemical action. Their nozzles are supposed to be superior. And no I don't have a personal testimony since I've never used it myself. There was a subject thread on Paceline a year or so ago where users had found it a good product. To put it another way it is pro paint put in aerosol cans by local suppliers for amateurs to use.

What I do know is that I would use a good primer. I love House of Kolor primers because they come in primary colors as well as black, white and gray. This is an advantage if the color paint gets chipped exposing the primer (I mix the primary colors to get closer to the final color) and provides better top color coverage. Some colors like yellow can be very difficult to get full coverage and might require extra coats. In fact the yellow, blue and red H of K primers are good enough colors by themselves to go straight to clean. After the color coats, polyurethane clear in Spray Max can be applied and if necessary buffed to a smoother finish after it has fully cured.
I'm glad you chimed in, Doug. I want to pick your brain so badly about this, but I don't want to drift Tribiker19's thread any more than it is already. Using automotive paints inside my shop would be a disaster waiting to happen. I want to set up an outside frame-painting booth, but New Hampshire winters make it difficult to have a year-round operation. I've thought of stuff like buying a 20-foot shipping container to build a dedicated booth, but I honestly would only use it about six times per year. Then there's heating/cooling. Argh.
__________________
Cargo Bike Build: https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-c...l#post22024218
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 08:24 PM
  #17  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 1,535

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, Faggin Matrix thingy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad View Post
my 2 cents, painting well takes a ton of prep, cost more than you would think and unless you go to the automotive level finishes is not at all durable....which is a pain considering the effort.

Unless you are the ultimate DIY person and want to do it for the learning and experience, I would suggest powder coat,
For my Cassani re-do, I want the experience as much as the finish. Plus there is something subtle lost with powdercoating a vintage frame..a lot of detail seems to get swallowed up, unless you go hog wild with pricing... You are absolutely correct about the lack of durability, but hoping that a rustoleum color and 2 part urethane will be reasonably durable.
jdawginsc is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 08:28 PM
  #18  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 496

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
New Hampshire winters make it difficult to have a year-round operation. I've thought of stuff like buying a 20-foot shipping container to build a dedicated booth, but I honestly would only use it about six times per year. Then there's heating/cooling. Argh.
You might be better off with a shed. I saw one on the side of the road a couple months ago. Add a couple of propane heaters that get removed during the painting process and voila! Granted, this means you probably need a large truck to move it, but you mentioned plowing at one point, so that might not be a problem.

If you want to try spray.bike on a Shogun...I'll buy the supplies and prep the frame to your specs. I just want to see how you do it and meet your wife.
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 08:32 PM
  #19  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19 View Post
You might be better off with a shed. I saw one on the side of the road a couple months ago. Add a couple of propane heaters that get removed during the painting process and voila! Granted, this means you probably need a large truck to move it, but you mentioned plowing at one point, so that might not be a problem.

If you want to try spray.bike on a Shogun...I'll buy the supplies and prep the frame to your specs. I just want to see how you do it and meet your wife.
Might be fun! Let's talk.
__________________
Cargo Bike Build: https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-c...l#post22024218
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 01-28-20, 10:40 PM
  #20  
rjhammett
Senior Member
 
rjhammett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,161

Bikes: 92 Colnago Master PIU, 85 Fuso, 92 Bridgestone RB-1, 83 Pinarello Record, 92 Tommaso, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 90 Serotta Colorado II, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 90 Pinarello Montello, 89 Tommasini Super Prestige, 08 Look 585 and 8 more

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 116 Posts
I have had a half dozen bikes powder coated at $80 each. The guy I use does an excellent job. If you have a frame that is worth a few bucks I would go for powder coat instead of rattle can. I have painted a few frames using Rustoleum wheel paint. It works ok but not nearly as well as powder coat.
rjhammett is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 01:18 AM
  #21  
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,897

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1577 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
....
spray.bike will not be as smooth as wet paint or quality powdercoat. It will be more durable and therefore look better than spraypaint.
...
All the paint jobs I've seen done with that stuff have an almost textured look; intentional orange peel or something. I can't imagine ever wanting that look on one of my bikes, but if that's what you happen to be going for, then have at it.
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 01-29-20, 02:41 AM
  #22  
Leinster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: location location
Posts: 2,759

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 122 Posts
I sprayed up a bike for my son with it. It looks good, but he hasn't started riding it yet, so can't speak to durability.

Very easy to spray on.
Leinster is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 06:01 AM
  #23  
J.Higgins 
Mentally Derailleured
 
J.Higgins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,276

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett View Post
I have had a half dozen bikes powder coated at $80 each.
Wow that's a great price, especially if you are happy with it. The last one I had done was $140, and the finish was really bad. There's a place down in Massholia called Pike Powder Coating that charges $287 for a frame and fork, but their work is very thorough and top notch.
__________________
Cargo Bike Build: https://www.bikeforums.net/utility-c...l#post22024218
J.Higgins is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 08:08 AM
  #24  
Manu431
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
It may looks really good (for a repaint) and it is pretty easy to spray.
Polishing phase is important in my opinion (have to wait a little after painting, and then polish with a soft piece of clothes)

But any impact and the paint will be damaged. This is the reason why I will probably not do a second one but go directly to car/bike painting specialist. (no project ongoing)
You have to handle the bike carefully.
This is the bike i have made for my wife from an old scott arapahoe. (she uses it when we travel with our Camper)

Manu431 is offline  
Old 01-29-20, 08:41 AM
  #25  
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie
Thread Starter
 
TriBiker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: NH/MA
Posts: 496

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Wow that's a great price, especially if you are happy with it. The last one I had done was $140, and the finish was really bad. There's a place down in Massholia called Pike Powder Coating that charges $287 for a frame and fork, but their work is very thorough and top notch.
If I was going to have it professionally done, I'd probably go to one of the auto body shops nearby and just get paint. I've had fantastic service (for vehicles) from a place in Winchendon and the prices are great.

I've read that the issue with powder coating is that if you don't realize that there's a spot where water/corrosive liquid can get under it, it can eat out the frame without the owner noticing. Is that not the case?
__________________
I was going to have a good signature but apparently I'm too verbose.
TriBiker19 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.