Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Blown broke 6 speed DA Freehub cassette.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blown broke 6 speed DA Freehub cassette.

Old 04-20-20, 08:51 PM
  #1  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,903

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
Blown broke 6 speed DA Freehub cassette.

Well just today the 30 year plus DA cassette body on my beater MTB just went bad hard nasty pops ans now it spins better forward than backwards. Just considering options since the cogs are good is it worth it to another freehub or should I just right the wheel off or can I put another freehub on the older DA Hub I have a decent exage and STX as potential donners and plenty of spacers and exttra cogs to build something up. Or put the original wheels back on the bike nice sansin hubs dippled rims 1.50's which may need a bit of a rebuild but have all the parts including spokes so it wouldn't be a big deal. The thing is I really liked the ride of MA-20 with DA hubs even if they came from a dunbdter.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-20-20 at 08:58 PM.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 05:03 AM
  #2  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 20,102
Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 800 Times in 624 Posts
Yes, you can replace just the freehub mechanism, providing the issue isn't with the engagement splines on the hub shell. You may or may nor be to use the Exage or STX as donors. Shimano used various methods to attach the freehub mechanism to the hub shells, so it will all depend on the exact models of the respective hubs.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 05:45 PM
  #3  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,903

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
Thanks for the info and encougement T-Mar turns out the freehub is a none standard mid 80's and is basically unabtanium and seized to the hub pretty good so the DA freehub tool and freehub will cost $100 and may not work. So I decided to just rebuild the original wheels took a couple hours the too unseize all the spokes and replace most of the nipples and rebuild the hubs. I will post the result's soon turns out rebuilt original wheels actually ride a bit better.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-21-20 at 07:07 PM.
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 06:43 PM
  #4  
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!
 
top506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The other Maine, north of RT 2
Posts: 4,809

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
DA freehub tool:

Need TH-FH10 tool for ten minutes......

a couple of bucks from a good hardware store.

Top
__________________
You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
top506 is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 06:43 PM
  #5  
bulgie
blahblahblah chrome moly
 
bulgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1 View Post
Thanks for the info and encougement T-Mar turns out the freehub is a none standard mid 80's and is basically unabtanium and seized to the hub pretty good so the DA freehub tool and freehub will cost $100 and may not work. So I decided to just rebuild the original wheels took a couple hours the resultsto unseiz all the spokes and replace most of the nipples and rebuild the hubs. I will post the rersults tommorw .
I used DA "EX" 5-speed freehubs on my MTBs starting in about 1982, because they took an 11t small cog. I was doing a sort of proto-Microdrive, years before Suntour "invented" it. Unfortunately they weren't very reliable. I broke 3 freehub bodies myself, and even my petite wife broke one.

The thread to attach the freehub bodies to the hub shell was unique to Dura-Ace, completely incompatible with any other Shimano models. That thread stayed the same with DA 740x, through 6- 7- and 8-speed, maybe longer, but I got out of the bike biz after 8 speed so I don't know how long it stayed unchanged. But I did interchange between model years, things like putting a 6-speed freehub body onto an 8-speed hub shell (to make a dishless wheel). Or putting a Uniglide freehub on a hub made for Hyperglide. Two-way compatibility. Keep in mind though, as the freehub bodies changed, often the right-side cone changed too, so you might have to change both together. The cones are very durable though, so as long as you use the same model freehub, you can probably re-use your existing cone.

What died was always in the ratcheting mechanism. Never had a problem with the attachment thread, so I was always able to replace the freehub bodies when they died. That was back when the replacement freehub bodies were easy to get, not sure how rare they are now. I have several different width (# of cogs) spares in stock for my own use, not for sale, so I'm all set. But if you can get a replacement, chances are near 100% that you can install it, and it'll work.

As you noted, it takes a special tool, unique to DA. You didn't mention where you are, so we can't suggest a local bike shop that might have the tool. No sense buying the tool to use only once, if a shop or BF member near you has it. Maybe some nice BF member will even lend you his via USPS, so it doesn't need to be local. I'm not that nice though -- I don't lend mine. I would take anyone's off for them no charge though, if they bring it to my house (with proper social-distancing of course!)

Mark B in Seattle
bulgie is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 06:49 PM
  #6  
bulgie
blahblahblah chrome moly
 
bulgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by top506 View Post
DA freehub tool:

Need TH-FH10 tool for ten minutes......

a couple of bucks from a good hardware store.

Top
Cool, never saw that before. Now I want to try it even though I have the correct DA tool!

Mark B
bulgie is offline  
Old 04-21-20, 07:28 PM
  #7  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,903

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie View Post
I used DA "EX" 5-speed freehubs on my MTBs starting in about 1982, because they took an 11t small cog. I was doing a sort of proto-Microdrive, years before Suntour "invented" it. Unfortunately they weren't very reliable. I broke 3 freehub bodies myself, and even my petite wife broke one.

The thread to attach the freehub bodies to the hub shell was unique to Dura-Ace, completely incompatible with any other Shimano models. That thread stayed the same with DA 740x, through 6- 7- and 8-speed, maybe longer, but I got out of the bike biz after 8 speed so I don't know how long it stayed unchanged. But I did interchange between model years, things like putting a 6-speed freehub body onto an 8-speed hub shell (to make a dishless wheel). Or putting a Uniglide freehub on a hub made for Hyperglide. Two-way compatibility. Keep in mind though, as the freehub bodies changed, often the right-side cone changed too, so you might have to change both together. The cones are very durable though, so as long as you use the same model freehub, you can probably re-use your existing cone.

What died was always in the ratcheting mechanism. Never had a problem with the attachment thread, so I was always able to replace the freehub bodies when they died. That was back when the replacement freehub bodies were easy to get, not sure how rare they are now. I have several different width (# of cogs) spares in stock for my own use, not for sale, so I'm all set. But if you can get a replacement, chances are near 100% that you can install it, and it'll work.

As you noted, it takes a special tool, unique to DA. You didn't mention where you are, so we can't suggest a local bike shop that might have the tool. No sense buying the tool to use only once, if a shop or BF member near you has it. Maybe some nice BF member will even lend you his via USPS, so it doesn't need to be local. I'm not that nice though -- I don't lend mine. I would take anyone's off for them no charge though, if they bring it to my house (with proper social-distancing of course!)

Mark B in Seattle
Plus one on breaking I was surprised how easily the DA broke probable less than 75 lbs toque going up a hill in low gear and I could just hear the freehub grind into the hub body and pop before I could even stop pedaling . I was pretty sure the freehub and likely hub were toast at that point. I agree on the extra gear range it was nice to have a 12 bottom and 32 top which gave a bit more gearing which is real nice when you live were everything is up or down hill with snow mud both of which are still abundant around Fairplay..
zukahn1 is offline  
Old 04-22-20, 04:50 PM
  #8  
zukahn1 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
zukahn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fairplay Co
Posts: 7,903

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 104 Posts
I got the original wheels rebuilt and put hem on the bike so all is good for now.

I will probably just rebuild the DA wheel with a different hub.
zukahn1 is offline  
Likes For zukahn1:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.