Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Old 05-02-20, 01:59 PM
  #1  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Hi there, I was wondering about rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame. As the frame is presently the Spumoni paint scheme but is completely all chrome, after seeing some amazing restorations, I thought I may go that route rather than repainting the original colours.
It does look awesome. My question is right out of the best seller Rechroming Columbus SLX for Dummies... Where can I get info on the process and the pros and cons of going this route?
Thanks in Advance!!
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 02:47 PM
  #2  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,916

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by PeakFreak View Post
Hi there, I was wondering about rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame. As the frame is presently the Spumoni paint scheme but is completely all chrome, after seeing some amazing restorations, I thought I may go that route rather than repainting the original colours.
It does look awesome. My question is right out of the best seller Rechroming Columbus SLX for Dummies... Where can I get info on the process and the pros and cons of going this route?
Thanks in Advance!!
Again Marinoni is the way to go on this, chrome is a dying art, frames are typically not polished under the paint so it can be harder to restore frames like this.

I would encourage you to at least call them for info, they are happy to help any way they can. (450) 471-7133
merziac is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 03:11 PM
  #3  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
Again Marinoni is the way to go on this, chrome is a dying art, frames are typically not polished under the paint so it can be harder to restore frames like this.

I would encourage you to at least call them for info, they are happy to help any way they can. (450) 471-7133
Thanks again, and as far as the chroming it appears the entire frame and forks are chromed, just hidden under the paint. Where there is a chip there is chrome showing.

It was the 4 colors they would have to paint plus shipping... ouch.
See pics.
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 03:15 PM
  #4  
Wileyone 
Senior Member
 
Wileyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: GWN
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 262 Posts
I wouldn't touch it. Just shorten your brake cables and ride the Shyte out of it.
Wileyone is offline  
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 05-02-20, 03:17 PM
  #5  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
HAHA good one!!
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 03:22 PM
  #6  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They were originally tapped up in the handle bars and I got lazy when the weather turned nice so had to retape with crap tape quickly before the sun went in.
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 03:25 PM
  #7  
Manny66 
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 524

Bikes: 1977 Windsor Profesional,1979 Mondia Special, Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 ,Basso Gap, 1982 Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, LOOK 486,Vitus 979 KAS.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Rechroming a frame involves alot of cost in Time and Money. If youre not local to a chrome plater you got to ship the frame and fork.
The chromer will strip off the old chrome and get it down to bare metal again. Once they copper plate it they will polish it to remove any imperfections. Once they have that done they will Nickle plate it ,inspect it and then into the chrome tank it goes. Once the frame and fork are done it gets shipped back to you .

Now the down side, IF the chromer is not expierenced on classic vintage bikes you might have some issues. The Pantographs have been known to "disappear" during aggressive polishing or the copper plate goes on too thick in areas you dont want it to be. The plater might also copper the inside of the head tube or the dropouts excessivly which means you got to get out the Dremel and go to work. Did I mention Time?? Chromers have a weird sense of time, If they tell you it will be done in a few weeks , they really mean a few months. Bicycle frames are a low priority if they make a living doing Production work. Communication is key.

Back in the day I had a few frames and forks chromed beautifully for about $75, Those days are gone but its hard to find a good chromer nowadays.

I recently had a Automoto chromed and it didnt cost me too much because Ive known the chromer for over 20 years. But you might be looking at $250 and up for a frame and fork.
Manny66 is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 03:31 PM
  #8  
merziac
Senior Member
 
merziac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PDX
Posts: 7,916

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2381 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by PeakFreak View Post
Thanks again, and as far as the chroming it appears the entire frame and forks are chromed, just hidden under the paint. Where there is a chip there is chrome showing.

It was the 4 colors they would have to paint plus shipping... ouch.
See pics.
These are one of those that are an iconic oddity to me, when you see that paint, you know exactly what you are looking at.

Cool as heck but does not age well and poor biodegradable graphics are a shame.

That being said, I am with Wileyone , this is in very good shape all things considered, leave it but get new main decals and get/do a full careful scrub/detail/polish.

This will be great cleaned up and retain its original look for a long time to come, it will also preserve the value that a repaint will negate.
merziac is offline  
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-02-20, 04:35 PM
  #9  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
Rechroming a frame involves alot of cost in Time and Money. If youre not local to a chrome plater you got to ship the frame and fork.
The chromer will strip off the old chrome and get it down to bare metal again. Once they copper plate it they will polish it to remove any imperfections. Once they have that done they will Nickle plate it ,inspect it and then into the chrome tank it goes. Once the frame and fork are done it gets shipped back to you .

Now the down side, IF the chromer is not expierenced on classic vintage bikes you might have some issues. The Pantographs have been known to "disappear" during aggressive polishing or the copper plate goes on too thick in areas you dont want it to be. The plater might also copper the inside of the head tube or the dropouts excessivly which means you got to get out the Dremel and go to work. Did I mention Time?? Chromers have a weird sense of time, If they tell you it will be done in a few weeks , they really mean a few months. Bicycle frames are a low priority if they make a living doing Production work. Communication is key.

Back in the day I had a few frames and forks chromed beautifully for about $75, Those days are gone but its hard to find a good chromer nowadays.

I recently had a Automoto chromed and it didnt cost me too much because Ive known the chromer for over 20 years. But you might be looking at $250 and up for a frame and fork.

Thanks so much Manny. I would not have thought remind them about the lugs Campy stampings!
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 04:43 PM
  #10  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Originally Posted by merziac View Post
These are one of those that are an iconic oddity to me, when you see that paint, you know exactly what you are looking at.

Cool as heck but does not age well and poor biodegradable graphics are a shame.

That being said, I am with Wileyone , this is in very good shape all things considered, leave it but get new main decals and get/do a full careful scrub/detail/polish.

This will be great cleaned up and retain its original look for a long time to come, it will also preserve the value that a repaint will negate.
You bet it is. When I saw it in the bicycle store in 89 I grabbed it just for that look.... so different than the regular paint schemes in that era. I couldn't afford the Campy stuff, so having a crazy paint job got lots of stares from the girls!!
I'm cleaning now and have ordered decals! They won' be here until June due to shipping delays so I will have time to decide...
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 04:45 PM
  #11  
Manny66 
Senior Member
 
Manny66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Whittier
Posts: 524

Bikes: 1977 Windsor Profesional,1979 Mondia Special, Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 ,Basso Gap, 1982 Moser SL,Concorde TSX,Concorde TVT, LOOK 486,Vitus 979 KAS.Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 103 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac View Post
These are one of those that are an iconic oddity to me, when you see that paint, you know exactly what you are looking at.

Cool as heck but does not age well and poor biodegradable graphics are a shame.

That being said, I am with Wileyone , this is in very good shape all things considered, leave it but get new main decals and get/do a full careful scrub/detail/polish.

This will be great cleaned up and retain its original look for a long time to come, it will also preserve the value that a repaint will negate.

I have a Pinarello Gavia TSX in red. My decals came off years ago. The chrome is not the greatest and the paint has chips here and there.

I re-- Decal'd it left and left it as is.

Today I rode 60 miles on it .

Manny66 is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 05:02 PM
  #12  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
I have a Pinarello Gavia TSX in red. My decals came off years ago. The chrome is not the greatest and the paint has chips here and there.

I re-- Decal'd it left and left it as is.

Today I rode 60 miles on it .

Beautiful bicycle, I always had a sweet spot for red. I ordered decals 1 week ago... it will be a while. back to spit and polish! Be safe out there.
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 05:15 PM
  #13  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66 View Post
I have a Pinarello Gavia TSX in red. My decals came off years ago. The chrome is not the greatest and the paint has chips here and there.

I re-- Decal'd it left and left it as is.

Today I rode 60 miles on it .

Could I ask you where you got the cable assembly on the frame where the original shifters were attached. I would like to get new handle bar shifters too.
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 06:04 PM
  #14  
PoorInRichfield
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Richfield, WI
Posts: 562

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Trek Boone 9, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 138 Posts
It's my understanding that true chrome is becoming extinct because of the environmental issues with the chemicals involved. If you haven't already noticed, nearly nothing is truly chromed these days. For example, chrome wheels on cars used to be cook, but now they're all highly polished aluminum (not to mention the only chrome you'll see on a modern car is plastic and 'fake chrome'.) So what I'm saying is that to get your frame refinished, it's not going to be cheap!
PoorInRichfield is offline  
Old 05-02-20, 06:26 PM
  #15  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,922

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 942 Posts
I would ride it as is, but then I'm a lover of patina.

Minor point - your color scheme is not spumoni, but Olympic Tribute colors commemorating USA's first ever Gold in the Road Race - 1984 in LA. Won by an immigrant Alexi Grewal. Yours is the 1985 SLX.

A few years back, I got an SL version from those painted in '84 immediately following the victory. I was at the 84 LA Games (not the cycling events).


Here is a pic from the road earlier this month. Decals are gone but for the outline. Lots of touch-up. The hardest touch-ups still to be done. Sure is a quick handler!


1985 Gita catalogue


Last edited by Wildwood; 05-02-20 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Pics
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-02-20, 06:42 PM
  #16  
Wileyone 
Senior Member
 
Wileyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: GWN
Posts: 2,470
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 262 Posts
To find a good chrome shop in your area just follow the Harleys.
Wileyone is offline  
Old 05-03-20, 03:49 PM
  #17  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Classic & Vintage > Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Originally Posted by Wileyone View Post
To find a good chrome shop in your area just follow the Harleys.
I use to ride one, I should know that!! Thanks for clearing the cobwebs!!!
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-03-20, 04:01 PM
  #18  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
I would ride it as is, but then I'm a lover of patina.

Minor point - your color scheme is not spumoni, but Olympic Tribute colors commemorating USA's first ever Gold in the Road Race - 1984 in LA. Won by an immigrant Alexi Grewal. Yours is the 1985 SLX.

A few years back, I got an SL version from those painted in '84 immediately following the victory. I was at the 84 LA Games (not the cycling events).


Here is a pic from the road earlier this month. Decals are gone but for the outline. Lots of touch-up. The hardest touch-ups still to be done. Sure is a quick handler!


1985 Gita catalogue

Thanks so much for the correction, I assumed both of the multi colored schemes were called Spumoni but just different years. And appreciate that catalogue pic!. Yes you have a beauty. Nice components., I wish I could have gone all Italian back then... Cie la Vie. Thanks again for all your info.
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-03-20, 04:03 PM
  #19  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rechroming my 1989 Pinarello Montello Columbus SLX frame

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
It's my understanding that true chrome is becoming extinct because of the environmental issues with the chemicals involved. If you haven't already noticed, nearly nothing is truly chromed these days. For example, chrome wheels on cars used to be cook, but now they're all highly polished aluminum (not to mention the only chrome you'll see on a modern car is plastic and 'fake chrome'.) So what I'm saying is that to get your frame refinished, it's not going to be cheap!
True enough! I am certainly finding that out!
Cheers
PeakFreak is offline  
Old 05-03-20, 04:13 PM
  #20  
T-Mar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 21,235
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1,382 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
...Minor point - your color scheme is not spumoni, but Olympic Tribute colors commemorating USA's first ever Gold in the Road Race...
The proper name for the livery is Arco LA 84. Arco is Italian for rainbow. The livery was reportedly created after the Long Beach trade show during a beer session between Denver Spoke manager Doug Beeler, Dia-Compe rep Brad Thorne , Giorgio Andretta of Gita and team manager Len Pettyjohn. None could agree on a colour and Giorgio simply combined all the suggestions in the now famous quadruple fade pattern.
T-Mar is offline  
Old 05-03-20, 06:54 PM
  #21  
PeakFreak 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 68

Bikes: 1989 Pinarello Montello, Pinarello ROKH, Specialized Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar View Post
The proper name for the livery is Arco LA 84. Arco is Italian for rainbow. The livery was reportedly created after the Long Beach trade show during a beer session between Denver Spoke manager Doug Beeler, Dia-Compe rep Brad Thorne , Giorgio Andretta of Gita and team manager Len Pettyjohn. None could agree on a colour and Giorgio simply combined all the suggestions in the now famous quadruple fade pattern.
Wow, so it sounds as if were you there.... that is too cool!!.. I am learning a lot from these threads, it's great!!!
Thanks again for your help... time for a late dinner and back to a bit of polishing!!
Cheers
PeakFreak is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.