Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

Old 05-18-20, 04:29 PM
  #1  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,908

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 466 Posts
What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

In my case it has led to a sudden urge to build a parts bin weight weenie cycling vacation special.

Motivated by seeing mrs non-fixie enjoying her little red RIH, I decided I too needed a sub-10kg bike for our next vacation trip (whenever that may be).

I didn't want to spend any money before being reasonably sure I was onto something, so for now I made do with what I had available: a scruffy Reynolds 531 frame with eyelets and room for fenders, Birmalux seatpost, CLB brakes and levers, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Bluemels mudguards, Stronglight cranks.

According to my cheap luggage scales it weighs exactly 10kg as pictured, which is a full kg lighter than any of my other 25" fendered bikes.

I just took it for a short test ride, and it feels rather nice. Light and responsive, without any of the nervousness I was half expecting. It corners beautifully. That narrow saddle needs to go, though.



The CLB brakes are a nice surprise. They are very light, but feel quite solid and the braking compares favorably to the MAFAC's I am used to.



The levers feel nice too, even without hoods.



There is still some work to do. To be able to add a bottle cage, bar tape and swap the too narrow Arius for a comfy Brooks I need to shave off at least another 200g ...
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #63: Idle Burg
non-fixie is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 04:35 PM
  #2  
Wildwood
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,000

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 526 Posts
Ten kilos for 25" frame with pedals & fenders is tough even with light wheels, in my experience.
I say = Well Done!

i will search Jonkers. For their lightweight large frames.
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-18-20, 04:45 PM
  #3  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,098
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 81 Posts
Fun project!

I love blue bikes.

Yours is handsome, practical fun.

FWIW I would be really tempted to go with a bar like a MAP/Ahearne to sit in an upright position.

Fun for sightseeing on vacation.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 05:10 PM
  #4  
Chr0m0ly 
Senior Member
 
Chr0m0ly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hamilton Heights, Manhattan, New York, NY
Posts: 1,580

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 '85 Miyata 710, 86 Miyata 710, 91 Cannondale ST600, 84 Trek 610, 520, 620, 91 Miyata 1000LT, a few frames, some odds and ends....

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 150 Posts
Id put a unicantor CMX on that build, weighs nothing and surprisingly comfy, you know, like, for my butt anyway.
Chr0m0ly is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 06:24 PM
  #5  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,908

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
Ten kilos for 25" frame with pedals & fenders is tough even with light wheels, in my experience.
I say = Well Done!

i will search Jonkers. For their lightweight large frames.
Thanks. Cees Jonkers had a well-known bike shop in Rotterdam and catered to the local racing crowd. I have read that he built frames, but have also seen his decals on frames that were built by others. The lack of a serial number makes me think this one may have come from Belgium.

Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Fun project!

I love blue bikes.

Yours is handsome, practical fun.

FWIW I would be really tempted to go with a bar like a MAP/Ahearne to sit in an upright position.

Fun for sightseeing on vacation.
I am high enough as it is, thank you.

Seriously, I have tried that a couple of times in the past, but ended up not liking the results very much. I think it had something to do with the short wheelbase bikes like these tend to have.

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly View Post
Id put a unicantor CMX on that build, weighs nothing and surprisingly comfy, you know, like, for my butt anyway.
Thanks for the tip. I may actually have one, somewhere. Will see if I can find it.
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #63: Idle Burg
non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-18-20, 07:08 PM
  #6  
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 25,411

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 961 Times in 607 Posts
Even with all the nice stuff I have, I'd be pretty proud to have a "scruffy" frame like that gathering dust! Really nice, clean and classy build.

Also, you've learned the great secret of CLB brakes. Their weight is measured in negative grams.

-Kurt
__________________








Last edited by cudak888; 05-18-20 at 09:33 PM.
cudak888 is offline  
Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-18-20, 07:35 PM
  #7  
52telecaster
ambulatory senior
 
52telecaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Peoria Il
Posts: 3,366

Bikes: Bob Jackson World Tour, Falcon and 98 Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1047 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 243 Posts
This lockdown has everybody building. Great looking bike!
52telecaster is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 07:46 PM
  #8  
Kilroy1988 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 131 Posts
I think that turned out rather splendidly! I certainly would have guessed that it came out at 10.5-11kg at best given the size of the frame, use of fenders, and what appears to be a rather average wheel set. However, you didn't mention particulars about the wheels and tires yet, and that could amount to a large part of the weight savings... More details would be appreciated!

-Gregory
Kilroy1988 is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 07:59 PM
  #9  
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium
 
thinktubes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Across the street from Chicago
Posts: 5,195

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 268 Posts
10kg - that's about 9 pounds - right?

Great looking bike! Love retrofriction.
thinktubes is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 08:01 PM
  #10  
Wildwood
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,000

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 526 Posts
to lose 200gms, lightweight tubular rims with racing silks not wider than 20mm.



the caveat is: ... weight weenie successes may detract from one's touring vacation enjoyment.

unless one's spouse is tough at the pace and pushing one's limits.




sometimes, a really good man knows his weaknesses - and is cunning enough to work around them - invisibly, but to the most discerning.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 08:09 PM
  #11  
jjhabbs 
Senior Member
 
jjhabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,379

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 51 Posts
I am totally diggin it! Nice

JJ
__________________
From Illinois. Collector of many fine bicycles from all over the world. Subscribe to my Youtube channel. Just search John Haboush
jjhabbs is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 09:11 PM
  #12  
Lascauxcaveman 
Senior Member
 
Lascauxcaveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 7,856

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 249 Posts
Man! My weeniest bike is a little over 10kg and only a 59cm. And not even thinking about having fenders. Nice build!
__________________
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Trek 400 ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●
Lascauxcaveman is offline  
Old 05-18-20, 09:18 PM
  #13  
Narhay
Senior Member
 
Narhay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 3,288
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 222 Times in 148 Posts
Really nice, your parts bin build is looking like your bin is on the top shelf. I have a set of those CLB brakes but in red font. The cane creek hoods fit fine on the levers. I hear one of the kool stop pad insert styles can also fit into the CLB pad holders but I dont know which one.
Narhay is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 12:48 AM
  #14  
SurferRosa
Seor Member
 
SurferRosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 2,926

Bikes: Old school lightweights

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
I need to shave off at least another 200g.
The phrase "drill, baby, drill" comes to mind.
SurferRosa is online now  
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-19-20, 12:51 PM
  #15  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,908

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 466 Posts
Thank you for all the kind remarks. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
10kg - that's about 9 pounds - right?

Great looking bike! Love retrofriction.
Correct.

I love the retrofrictions too, but they weigh 72 grams, which equals about 5 pounds, so they may have to go.

Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
to lose 200gms, lightweight tubular rims with racing silks not wider than 20mm.

the caveat is: ... weight weenie successes may detract from one's touring vacation enjoyment. (...)
I'll stick to clinchers for that very reason. It's not just a vanity exercise, I want to really ride this bike in France and Italy as soon as COVID-19 rules permit.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman View Post
Man! My weeniest bike is a little over 10kg and only a 59cm. And not even thinking about having fenders. Nice build!
That is why I like those old Bluemels. Yes they are vulnarable, but they do what they're supposed to do and weigh next to nothing.

Originally Posted by Narhay View Post
Really nice, your parts bin build is looking like your bin is on the top shelf. I have a set of those CLB brakes but in red font. The cane creek hoods fit fine on the levers. I hear one of the kool stop pad insert styles can also fit into the CLB pad holders but I dont know which one.
About those CLB's, I knew they are light (you kinda can't have missed that after 10 years of BF C&V ), but what I hadn't picked up is how nice and solid they feel. And the braking performance - with what I think are the original pads - is really, really good. No reason for Koolstops.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa View Post
The phrase "drill, baby, drill" comes to mind.
Ah, yes. Speaking of vanity, I wouldn't mind being considered the Low Countries continental touring version of Alf Engers:

__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #63: Idle Burg
non-fixie is offline  
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-19-20, 01:25 PM
  #16  
FlMTNdude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Gainesville FL
Posts: 519

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes View Post
10kg - that's about 9 pounds - right?

Great looking bike! Love retrofriction.
2.2 lbs/kilo = 22 lbs
FlMTNdude is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 01:30 PM
  #17  
USAZorro
Seor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,750

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
In my case it has led to a sudden urge to build a parts bin weight weenie cycling vacation special.

Motivated by seeing mrs non-fixie enjoying her little red RIH, I decided I too needed a sub-10kg bike for our next vacation trip (whenever that may be).

I didn't want to spend any money before being reasonably sure I was onto something, so for now I made do with what I had available: a scruffy Reynolds 531 frame with eyelets and room for fenders, Birmalux seatpost, CLB brakes and levers, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Bluemels mudguards, Stronglight cranks.

According to my cheap luggage scales it weighs exactly 10kg as pictured, which is a full kg lighter than any of my other 25" fendered bikes.

I just took it for a short test ride, and it feels rather nice. Light and responsive, without any of the nervousness I was half expecting. It corners beautifully. That narrow saddle needs to go, though.



The CLB brakes are a nice surprise. They are very light, but feel quite solid and the braking compares favorably to the MAFAC's I am used to.



The levers feel nice too, even without hoods.



There is still some work to do. To be able to add a bottle cage, bar tape and swap the too narrow Arius for a comfy Brooks I need to shave off at least another 200g ...
You did an amazing job, but good lord, what's the head tube angle on that? 75? 76?
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 03:40 PM
  #18  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,908

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
You did an amazing job, but good lord, what's the head tube angle on that? 75? 76?
I haven't measured it, but that is what slightly worried me beforehand. I thought it might be a bit too squirrely to for a bike intended to sit on all day for a week or two. But that doesn't seem to be the case, if my first ride is anything to go by.
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #63: Idle Burg
non-fixie is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 04:12 PM
  #19  
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!
Thread Starter
 
non-fixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Holland, NL
Posts: 8,908

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 466 Posts
Bit of a disappointing day, today.

Got me a new battery for some digital scales, with the objective to get a more detailed weight measurement, so I could see every 10g saving from now on.

Weighed the bike with these, and was told is was 10.45 kg.

So, I exchanged the wheels for a pair I had prepared for an upcoming build for mrs non-fixie (Campagnolo low flange hubs, Mavic rims, radially laced front wheel) and now I am "back" to an indicated 10.05 kg. Phew.

I need to find some more weight savings elsewhere ...
__________________
Wikkid Wrenching Widdim #63: Idle Burg
non-fixie is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 08:40 PM
  #20  
USAZorro
Seor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hardy, VA
Posts: 16,750

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie View Post
Bit of a disappointing day, today.

Got me a new battery for some digital scales, with the objective to get a more detailed weight measurement, so I could see every 10g saving from now on.

Weighed the bike with these, and was told is was 10.45 kg.

So, I exchanged the wheels for a pair I had prepared for an upcoming build for mrs non-fixie (Campagnolo low flange hubs, Mavic rims, radially laced front wheel) and now I am "back" to an indicated 10.05 kg. Phew.

I need to find some more weight savings elsewhere ...
Saddle and pedals look to be about the only remaining opportunities.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline  
Old 05-19-20, 09:01 PM
  #21  
Wildwood
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,000

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro View Post
Saddle and pedals look to be about the only remaining opportunities.

riding without a saddle is tough; but how so - without pedals???
Wildwood is offline  
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 05-20-20, 09:00 AM
  #22  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: High Falls, NY, USA
Posts: 39,117

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6476 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 672 Posts
It's beautiful.

I notice taller frames can have a steeper head tube.
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 02:58 PM
  #23  
beicster 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Berea, KY
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
That is a real beauty and in my size, too.
__________________
Andy
beicster is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 03:16 PM
  #24  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,146

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1213 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
to lose 200gms, lightweight tubular rims with racing silks not wider than 20mm.



the caveat is: ... weight weenie successes may detract from one's touring vacation enjoyment.

unless one's spouse is tough at the pace and pushing one's limits.




sometimes, a really good man knows his weaknesses - and is cunning enough to work around them - invisibly, but to the most discerning.
maybe a different stem for a few more grams ?
__________________
Looking for more time to ride what I have
squirtdad is offline  
Old 05-20-20, 03:23 PM
  #25  
scarlson
Senior Member
 
scarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Medford MA
Posts: 917

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 263 Posts
What seatpost do you have on there? American Classic posts can be had from Ebay for short money in many different sizes, and weigh under 175g. None of mine have broken ...yet.
scarlson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.