Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Box O' Crap, Series Eight

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Box O' Crap, Series Eight

Old 09-11-21, 11:36 AM
  #376  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 4,024

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,143 Times in 804 Posts
Modest take—

Not too much...took back one of the underside guides I now need— one stem and the clips I took because I could not fit them back in after stuffing it full again.





Ready to send!

Last edited by jdawginsc; 09-11-21 at 12:36 PM.
jdawginsc is online now  
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 09-20-21, 12:28 PM
  #377  
Nwvlvtnr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 59

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
The Box in Sunny San Diego!

Jusy arrived!


Nwvlvtnr is online now  
Old 09-20-21, 07:00 PM
  #378  
Nwvlvtnr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 59

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Thank you all.

My take:


It’s like you all know me, I took a lot of stuff but put back as much as I could fit in the box and then added a whole lot of small parts in the voids between them. There is plenty of goodies to be had including many high end, exotic, and rare, all of it useful to someone.

The box is ready to ship to the next player and weighs in at 34.6 LBS. Bellow is a picture of parts I set aside to include but could not fit into the box to give an idea of what did make the cut.

Nwvlvtnr is online now  
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 09-21-21, 04:50 PM
  #379  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
It is time once again to ask for volunteers to step up and join in the Box O' Crap fun. The box needs to keep going and it is time for new folks to play. Join us all for the "box" to keep moving along. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 09-27-21, 04:07 PM
  #380  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
Well Folks,
It appears the Box O' Crap has finally stalled in series eight. We have had no volunteers for a few weeks and Our fearless Crapmaster has not been sighted for a while. I am thinking about putting the "Box" in frozen storage here until a new CrapMaster can be found. The valued friends here in the world of Crap have stepped up as best they could and kept the box moving for quite some time now. But I am afraid we need a new CrapMaster at this point in time to keep the fun moving. I would respectfully request that the "Box" be sent to me until a new CrapMaster can be found. Let us all hope to see white smoke from the stacks soon. Smiles, MH

Bump for volunteers to play or new CrapMaster to step forward.

Last edited by Mad Honk; 09-28-21 at 08:58 AM.
Mad Honk is offline  
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-03-21, 03:45 PM
  #381  
Nwvlvtnr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 59

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Pictures of crap parts living on…

Who ever packed the Maillard front hub thank you, I built it into a wheel using Araya rims from an old hybrid and it complements my Sachs/ Huret Eco drive train pretty well. The hub was respaced to 96 mm and lost the retainer tabs.



Last edited by Nwvlvtnr; 10-03-21 at 03:48 PM.
Nwvlvtnr is online now  
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:
Old 10-03-21, 06:16 PM
  #382  
hokiefyd 
Senior Member
 
hokiefyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 3,783

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 GT Vantara, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Nwvlvtnr View Post
Who ever packed the Maillard front hub thank you, I built it into a wheel using Araya rims from an old hybrid and it complements my Sachs/ Huret Eco drive train pretty well. The hub was respaced to 96 mm and lost the retainer tabs.
I contributed a front hub with some retainer tabs, though I don't remember if it was a Maillard. If it was, it was probably from either 1981 or 1979 or thereabouts. And I'm pretty sure the one I gave was dirtier than what you're showing. If that Maillard is from that era and you did put some elbow grease into the shine...it's probably mine and I'm super happy to see it built into a wheel and rolling down the road again!
hokiefyd is offline  
Old 10-03-21, 08:28 PM
  #383  
Nwvlvtnr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 59

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd View Post
I contributed a front hub with some retainer tabs, though I don't remember if it was a Maillard. If it was, it was probably from either 1981 or 1979 or thereabouts. And I'm pretty sure the one I gave was dirtier than what you're showing. If that Maillard is from that era and you did put some elbow grease into the shine...it's probably mine and I'm super happy to see it built into a wheel and rolling down the road again!
That had to be the one as there wasn’t much time between your custody of the box and mine it was also the only front hub in there. It can be seen in the photo of my parts take above the 1” threadless stem. Yes I shined it up a little, perhaps too much for a gas pipe Dangre Starnord.
Nwvlvtnr is online now  
Old 10-08-21, 06:20 PM
  #384  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
Posting once again to ask for players to step up before the Box O' Crap goes into cold storage. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 10-12-21 at 08:57 AM.
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 10-12-21, 08:54 AM
  #385  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 40,125

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 492 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6989 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Posting once again to ask for players to step up before the Box O' Crap goes into clod storage. Smiles, MH
You need a whole shed to store your clods?
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 10-23-21, 08:00 AM
  #386  
crandress 
Crapmaster
 
crandress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,216

Bikes: 1953 Terrot, 1980 Mercian Vincitore, Bridgestone MB3, Atala Corsa GS, Bottecchia Gran Turismo, Raleigh Olympian

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Nobody wants to step up to be the new Crapmaster? Its fun, its excitement, you make crappy friends, and you get to be the all mighty! Who would not want that?
__________________
Chris

Crapmaster Emeritus
crandress is offline  
Old 12-28-21, 06:41 PM
  #387  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
Well Chris, and all Crap players,
I am again going to try to get the BOC going forward again. I am asking for it to come to me, and it shall move forward as people sign on to have it dropped off at their door. Sign up to be the next to receive the
Box O' Crap so we can move it forward. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 02:49 PM
  #388  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,277

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,360 Posts
With the game seemingly dying out, perhaps some motivation would help. The game goes well when we have a non-burned out Crapmaster pimping the thread and keeping it on Page 1.

Perhaps it's time for me to share the letter I left in the Oval Office desk drawer for my successor several years ago.




Office of the Crapmaster
TARDIS, Universe

It is with great relief that I bequeath unto you the official title of Crapmaster, BFCV. As per tradition, I include this personal note to help guide you on your journey.

Just as the only reason the Wizard of Oz had absolutely pure and full authority to lay down the law was because the Munchkins believed he was Great and Powerful, C&Ver’s must believe that you are so. It is acceptable to ask for help in making rulings when things go sideways, but a quick, firm, and unequivocal statement helps keep things in line, even if you’re unsure yourself. It is also wise to have your minions do the dirty work for you, such as calling out those that don’t publish pictures, or bogart the box.

Bottom line, you own the game. It doesn’t matter what past Crapmasters have done, you have the power to change things. I know you’ll keep what’s working. Be you. Continue from the past if you feel comfortable. If anything rubs the wrong way, feel free to change it.

You cannot make grammatical or spelling errors, those that say you did are wrong. If you inadvertently put in a past date for something that is yet to happen and get called out for it, remind those that call you out that the Great and Powerful Crapmaster has an efficient TARDIS at your disposal, even if in reality it’s a 1984 Ford Taurus with 200,000 miles on it. It’s not important that the Taurus didn’t exist before 1986, you are the Great and Powerful...you get my drift.

Go forth and lead your minions in spreading their crap and cat toys throughout the contiguous United States of America. As I stated in my very first post when Drillium Dude was herding the cats, “This sounds like a very stupid game. Sign me up.” When in doubt, fake it until you make it.
Hoping some power hungry BF C&Ver will see this and decide that they're ready to step up and lead us to the promised land of crap.
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 03:15 PM
  #389  
jdawginsc 
Edumacator
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 4,024

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,143 Times in 804 Posts
Very inspiring. I will need to be retired to take on such a momentous and somber post of power. I also need to divest myself of my humility...
__________________
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1980s Vanni Losa Cassani thingy, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981? Faggin, Cannondale M500, etc...Need to do an N -1...



jdawginsc is online now  
Old 01-20-22, 04:21 PM
  #390  
Reco Very
bikenut
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sprague, Wa
Posts: 271

Bikes: too many to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Well Chris, and all Crap players,
I am again going to try to get the BOC going forward again. I am asking for it to come to me, and it shall move forward as people sign on to have it dropped off at their door. Sign up to be the next to receive the
Box O' Crap so we can move it forward. Smiles, MH
Looks like it might be time for series eight to be put to rest.
Mad Honk is already leading so... Start series nine with new thread with Mad Honk at the helm. First post list of crapsters is an important part of the game. Just my humble crappy opinion.
Reco Very is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 06:06 PM
  #391  
Drillium Dude 
Gone riding
 
Drillium Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,532
Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Reco Very View Post
Looks like it might be time for series eight to be put to rest...Mad Honk is already leading so...start series nine with new thread with Mad Honk at the helm.
Or give it a proper send-off. Some things aren't meant to be forever...

DD
__________________
My Flickr pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30331021@N08/

Drillium Dude is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 07:21 PM
  #392  
nlerner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 15,525
Mentioned: 394 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2877 Post(s)
Liked 3,449 Times in 1,567 Posts
Time to bury the BOC time-capsule style. Anyone pouring a new foundation?
nlerner is offline  
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-20-22, 09:22 PM
  #393  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
With the game seemingly dying out, perhaps some motivation would help. The game goes well when we have a non-burned out Crapmaster pimping the thread and keeping it on Page 1.

Perhaps it's time for me to share the letter I left in the Oval Office desk drawer for my successor several years ago.




Office of the Crapmaster
TARDIS, Universe

It is with great relief that I bequeath unto you the official title of Crapmaster, BFCV. As per tradition, I include this personal note to help guide you on your journey.

Just as the only reason the Wizard of Oz had absolutely pure and full authority to lay down the law was because the Munchkins believed he was Great and Powerful, C&Ver’s must believe that you are so. It is acceptable to ask for help in making rulings when things go sideways, but a quick, firm, and unequivocal statement helps keep things in line, even if you’re unsure yourself. It is also wise to have your minions do the dirty work for you, such as calling out those that don’t publish pictures, or bogart the box.

Bottom line, you own the game. It doesn’t matter what past Crapmasters have done, you have the power to change things. I know you’ll keep what’s working. Be you. Continue from the past if you feel comfortable. If anything rubs the wrong way, feel free to change it.

You cannot make grammatical or spelling errors, those that say you did are wrong. If you inadvertently put in a past date for something that is yet to happen and get called out for it, remind those that call you out that the Great and Powerful Crapmaster has an efficient TARDIS at your disposal, even if in reality it’s a 1984 Ford Taurus with 200,000 miles on it. It’s not important that the Taurus didn’t exist before 1986, you are the Great and Powerful...you get my drift.

Go forth and lead your minions in spreading their crap and cat toys throughout the contiguous United States of America. As I stated in my very first post when Drillium Dude was herding the cats, “This sounds like a very stupid game. Sign me up.” When in doubt, fake it until you make it.
Hoping some power hungry BF C&Ver will see this and decide that they're ready to step up and lead us to the promised land of crap.

Gugie,
As much as it pains me to yet take on another duty after retiring from multiple years in a University setting, and finding myself quite comfortable being such. I will at your urging attempt to be a new Crap Master. I have very low skills at using my confuser but I will do my best to herd the cats that the Box O' Crap attract. I would ask that you contact me by phone to ascertain what I will need to do to be a Crap Master. If I can do it, I will do my best to keep the BOC moving. Thanks, MH 812-336-3283
Mad Honk is offline  
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-20-22, 09:26 PM
  #394  
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland
 
gugie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,277

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3851 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,360 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk View Post
Gugie,
As much as it pains me to yet take on another duty after retiring from multiple years in a University setting, and finding myself quite comfortable being such. I will at your urging attempt to be a new Crap Master. I have very low skills at using my confuser but I will do my best to herd the cats that the Box O' Crap attract. I would ask that you contact me by phone to ascertain what I will need to do to be a Crap Master. If I can do it, I will do my best to keep the BOC moving. Thanks, MH 812-336-3283
Will call tomorrow...
__________________
If someone tells you that you have enough bicycles and you don't need any more, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
gugie is offline  
Old 01-20-22, 09:42 PM
  #395  
ascherer 
Senior Member
 
ascherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manhattan & Woodstock NY
Posts: 2,066

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 PeugeotPX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 514 Posts
All hail the benevolent Crap Master!
__________________
1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, 197? Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mark I
Curator/Team Mechanic: 2016 Dawes Streetfighter, 1984 Lotus Eclair, 1975 Motobecane Jubile Mixte, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Philips Sport




ascherer is offline  
Likes For ascherer:
Old 01-24-22, 07:11 PM
  #396  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
Will call tomorrow...
Thanks for the call! Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 02-14-22, 05:29 PM
  #397  
Mad Honk 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 1,842

Bikes: Schwinn Paramounts, Patelli Professional, Othon Ochsner, Masi, Faggin

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Reco Very View Post
Looks like it might be time for series eight to be put to rest.
Mad Honk is already leading so... Start series nine with new thread with Mad Honk at the helm. First post list of crapsters is an important part of the game. Just my humble crappy opinion.
As per the request of Reco Very and other Crapmasters emeriti I have started Box O' Crap series nine and Box O' Crap series eight will now be retired. All who wish to play join in at BOC series nine to register. Smiles, MH
Mad Honk is offline  
Old 02-18-22, 09:15 PM
  #398  
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,342

Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, MB3

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 582 Posts
Box O' Crap, Series Nine
curbtender is offline  
Old 02-21-22, 02:14 PM
  #399  
Nwvlvtnr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: San Diego
Posts: 59

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Gran Compe levers.

Late to the game here but I wanted to say thank you to whomever contributed the Gran Compe Levers. I really like them paired with Dia Compe 750s and they look great.

The incorrectly installed second hand bar tape is a stop gap, once I’m sure I like the setup the plan is shellacked cloth tape and lever hoods. Looking forward to BOC Series Nine.


Nwvlvtnr is online now  
Likes For Nwvlvtnr:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.