Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Good Deals on Tubs?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Good Deals on Tubs?

Old 06-26-20, 10:53 AM
  #1  
VtwinVince
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Good Deals on Tubs?

I need a set of cheap tubs for a vintage road project, mostly a wall hanger. Any tips greatly appreciated.
VtwinVince is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 10:59 AM
  #2  
iab
Senior Member
 
iab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NW Burbs, Chicago
Posts: 10,846
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 1,427 Times in 659 Posts
There are some used ones on Craigslist, but they are kind of gross.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/searc...thtub&sort=rel
iab is offline  
Likes For iab:
Old 06-26-20, 11:07 AM
  #3  
WGB
WGB
 
WGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 2,826

Bikes: Astron Corsaro, Fuji Espree and Takara GT

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 250 Posts
😘 i see what you did there..
WGB is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 02:22 PM
  #4  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
I need a set of cheap tubs for a vintage road project, mostly a wall hanger. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Yellow Jersey still has their 3 for $50 tires.
jiangshi is offline  
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 06-26-20, 02:29 PM
  #5  
rocks in head 
...addicted...
 
rocks in head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: East of the River, Washington DC
Posts: 1,014

Bikes: 1985 Alpine, 2007 IRO Rob Roy, 1985 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1991 Diamondback Master TG

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi View Post
Yellow Jersey still has their 3 for $50 tires.
Ditto. "Servizio Corse" Pretty decent, especially if you're only riding them occasionally and aren't willing to shell out for the top notch ones. Otherwise, I've heard good things about Tufo, and ProBikeKit usually has some good quality tires in stock. Their current cheapest is Continential Giro. https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-t.../10780036.html
rocks in head is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 02:33 PM
  #6  
Miele Man
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,305

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi View Post
Yellow Jersey still has their 3 for $50 tires.
Yes, and those Yellow Jersey Two and a Spare (3 for $50) tubulars have removeable valve cores.

Here in South-Central Ontario (Canada) the cheapest tubular seems to be $45.00 and a non-removable valve core.

Cheers
Miele Man is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 03:18 PM
  #7  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 110 Posts
You get what you pay for, but if itís just for display, who cares, unless you want period correct.
jiangshi is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 03:27 PM
  #8  
squirtdad
Senior Member
 
squirtdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Jose (Willow Glen) Ca
Posts: 7,594

Bikes: 85 team Miyata (modern 5800 105) , '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) '82 nishiski,

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 470 Posts
see Totally Tubular try challenge elite pro's if you can find them
__________________
Life is too short not to ride the best bike you have, as much as you can
squirtdad is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 04:29 PM
  #9  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,550

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 215 Posts
My view of the Servizio Corse is that if the Continental Giro is a good tire for the money, then you get more than twice the value with a Servizio Corse.

If you get what you pay for with a Servizio Corse, then all other cotton tubulars are greatly overpriced. Not that none are better than the YJSC, but for 6 times the price ($100), you do not get 6 times the value. If it lasts three times as long (under some controlled conditions?), you need the ride to be twice as good. The SC does not have a great ride, but it does feel like a tubular and its ride can be varied by adjusting tire pressure - like other tubulars! It gives you the tubular experience.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 04:37 PM
  #10  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
My view of the Servizio Corse is that if the Continental Giro is a good tire for the money, then you get more than twice the value with a Servizio Corse.

If you get what you pay for with a Servizio Corse, then all other cotton tubulars are greatly overpriced. Not that none are better than the YJSC, but for 6 times the price ($100), you do not get 6 times the value. If it lasts three times as long (under some controlled conditions?), you need the ride to be twice as good. The SC does not have a great ride, but it does feel like a tubular and its ride can be varied by adjusting tire pressure - like other tubulars! It gives you the tubular experience.
Both are fine, for spares. Tires are the only thing that touch the road. Ride the best you can afford.
jiangshi is offline  
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 06-26-20, 05:15 PM
  #11  
Road Fan
Senior Member
 
Road Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 15,550

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 215 Posts
Again, I agree with the general principle of riding good tires, but the fact remains the YJSC is a credible tire to ride. I ride my Espressos normally on the Mondonico and when my Masi is ready for the road it will get my vintage Vittoria cotton racing tires. When I get my PX-10 set up, we'll see what I have - should still be a couple of pairs of Parigi-Roubaix sleeping in the Tubular Box waiting to live out their illustrious lives.
Road Fan is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 05:15 PM
  #12  
VtwinVince
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I actually haven't run glue-ups for 25 years now so a little out of the loop.
VtwinVince is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 05:27 PM
  #13  
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist
 
Wildwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,964

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked 1,660 Times in 955 Posts
The great UK prices from about a year or so ago seem to have vanished. Still better than USA prices.
Wildwood is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 07:13 PM
  #14  
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrineau Park, Florida
Posts: 12,801

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 160 Posts
If its strictly a wall hanger, with an occasional ride thrown in, Vittoria with skin walls at the price level you can afford would be my choice. As said, if you ride it much, get the best tire you can afford. Both of my C&V rides have Vits tubulars on them.

The stickied Totally Tubular thread here is good read for anyone doing tubs. Totally Tubulars

Bill
__________________
Semper Fi, USMC, 1975-1977

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13


qcpmsame is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 07:29 PM
  #15  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,247

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 501 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
I need a set of cheap tubs for a vintage road project, mostly a wall hanger. Any tips greatly appreciated.
What's the point of a wall hanger? It's all about the looks. When I see a vintage bike restoration the first thing I look at is the tires... "Clement Criterium Seta?" NICE!!! This guy gets it!


YJSC??? Vitt Rally??? Bogus concession and disappointing.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 06-26-20 at 07:40 PM.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 07:35 PM
  #16  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 110 Posts
Veloflex Crits, ftw
jiangshi is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 07:52 PM
  #17  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,798
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 779 Times in 480 Posts
If it's a wall hanger, then definitely get butyl tubes, & inflate once a month instead of every few days.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 07:58 PM
  #18  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
If it's a wall hanger, then definitely get butyl tubes, & inflate once a month instead of every few days.
Good tubulars have latex tubes.
jiangshi is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 08:33 PM
  #19  
no67el 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Mad River Valley, VT
Posts: 204

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
Merlin Cycles in the UK has been my source for (I think) pretty decent prices on nice Veloflex and Vittoria tubulars. $40-$50 per tire depending on the deal at the time--- and they are nice tires (tyres). Right now they have the Vittoria Corsa G+ for about $46, though they are sold out of the tan sidewall version...

I agree that if you're going to ride the bike, get the nicest tires you can--- they make a world of difference. When I first tried riding tubulars I rode Tufo because they were cheap, and, well, I was using the Tufo tape as well..... But when I got on my first pair of Veloflex Vlandarens... pretty big change. Even at 28 to 30c the Veloflex felt great, while the Tufos at 22c felt like rocks. Heavy, stiff tires make riding the bike feel like trying to dance with bricks tied to your feet...

If you're commuting, then a relatively cheap flat-proof tires makes sense.... For a wall-art bike, I can't really see the point of really nice tires just slowly going dry and brittle just hanging there for years....

Tires are a big expense in this hobby, no question. But they affect the ride of the bike tremendously, so to a certain extent it's "in for a penny, in for a pound"...

Or at least that's what I tell myself. Certainly I wish tires cost $20, felt amazing, and lasted forever..... but so far that's not my experience.
no67el is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 08:50 PM
  #20  
jiangshi
OFG in Exile
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,809
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el View Post
Merlin Cycles in the UK has been my source for (I think) pretty decent prices on nice Veloflex and Vittoria tubulars. $40-$50 per tire depending on the deal at the time--- and they are nice tires (tyres). Right now they have the Vittoria Corsa G+ for about $46, though they are sold out of the tan sidewall version...

I agree that if you're going to ride the bike, get the nicest tires you can--- they make a world of difference. When I first tried riding tubulars I rode Tufo because they were cheap, and, well, I was using the Tufo tape as well..... But when I got on my first pair of Veloflex Vlandarens... pretty big change. Even at 28 to 30c the Veloflex felt great, while the Tufos at 22c felt like rocks. Heavy, stiff tires make riding the bike feel like trying to dance with bricks tied to your feet...

If you're commuting, then a relatively cheap flat-proof tires makes sense.... For a wall-art bike, I can't really see the point of really nice tires just slowly going dry and brittle just hanging there for years....

Tires are a big expense in this hobby, no question. But they affect the ride of the bike tremendously, so to a certain extent it's "in for a penny, in for a pound"...

Or at least that's what I tell myself. Certainly I wish tires cost $20, felt amazing, and lasted forever..... but so far that's not my experience.
This is why some of us have multiple wheelsets. I used to commute on GP4ís and race on GEL 280/320 set, laced to DA 7400.

Now itís Reflex on Record 10s. Good for crappy roads.
jiangshi is offline  
Old 06-26-20, 10:07 PM
  #21  
woodcraft
Senior Member
 
woodcraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 5,798
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 779 Times in 480 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi View Post
Good tubulars have latex tubes.


Thank you for clarifying that point.
woodcraft is offline  
Old 06-27-20, 05:32 AM
  #22  
smontanaro 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 4,543

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
When I see a vintage bike restoration the first thing I look at is the tires... "Clement Criterium Seta?" NICE!!! This guy gets it!
Several months ago I outed (over on Classic Rendezvous) some NOS Setas I encountered on Seattle CL. I think the guy was asking $250 each and had two or three to sell. I don't think it was more than an hour or two before a member in Europe posted a reply looking to see if someone could facilitate because the seller wouldn't ship. Setas definitely have their fans and uses. In my opinion at this stage they are best left for the people who need/want them for a totally period correct restoration. There just aren't enough left to warrant spending that kind of money for a daily (or even Sunday) rider. Maybe you ride them when you assemble for some special get-together, like Cirque.
__________________
Slowest Common Denominator
I prefer you contact me by email (skip.montanaro@gmail.com).

smontanaro is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.