Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1993/1994 Specialized Allez component decision

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1993/1994 Specialized Allez component decision

Old 08-06-20, 02:38 PM
  #1  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
SHIMANO OR CAMPY -1993/1994 Specialized Allez component decision

I am trying to decide which groupset to put on my specialized allez frame (1995 I think) and I am hoping you guys can offer me your opinions.

I have two other Specialized Allez bikes that quite don't fit me, and that third 1995 frame that does fit. I am trying to decide which components to harvest from the first two before I swap and sell them off and keep the third 1995 one. The two other bikes are from 1993 and 1994 respectively and all original.

Question is - which components should I harvest? Either:

Shimano 600 tricolor group, hubs, and STI shifters ('93 Allez PRO bike)?

or

Campagnolo veloce group, hubs, ergo shifters ('94 Allez COMP bike)?

According to the catalogs (links below) the '93 Shimano 600 STI Allez PRO setup is one step above that of the Campy Veloce of the '94 Allez COMP (2nd link below).

But is the campy really that much worse than the 600 setup? This Campy veloce (low-ish end) package was only offered '94 one year as far as I know. The shifters feel more robust and deliberate which I like, but the whole bike (wheels?) seems to roll slower than the '93 PRO. For some reason. Could be the '93 veloce setup has crappier tires. Or maybe itís wheels/slower hubs?

I know it mostly comes down to personal preference, but I am indecisive and don't have one at this point.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...kes93.pdf.html (Allez PRO - 2nd last page for parts list)

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/..._Mini.pdf.html (Allez COMP - last page for parts list)

(update - links aren't working? Try this https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...ve/Catalogues/)

However, I'm noticing that the Shimano 600 STI shifters are a bit less robust feeling, and I've just read that if they break (which I'm afraid of, since I'm pretty hard on my gear and they're definitely starting to look their age) you're SOL i.e. they can't be rebuilt/fixed easily. And after taking a look on eBay they seem to be pretty pricey/tough to source on their own without buying another complete bike.

The campy ergo shifters on the other hand can be rebuilt and serviced more easily as far as I understand. But they might be more clunky/heavy. Anyone know? Both Shimano STI and Campy ergo are for 8 speed.

Other than personal preference and functionality differences for the shifters (I don't have a real preference here), which set up should I go with? They are both in equal 'mediocre plus' condition.

Some primary considerations would be opinions on overall quality of components, their total weight, which wheels/hubs are better, and future maintenance factor and ease of buying new cassettes in the future etc.

Anything else to consider? Let me know which set you think I should keep!



1994 Allez COMP with campy veloce

veloce omega 19 36 hole


campy ergo shifter


Shimano STI shifter

1993 Allez PRO

Older type veloce hubs - how do these compare to 600?

Last edited by Danmozy66; 08-07-20 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 04:28 PM
  #2  
mgopack42 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: The Baths, CA
Posts: 611

Bikes: 2012 Pinarello FP Quatro, 1994 Specialized Allez, Mid 80's Ciocc, 1985 Masi 3V.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 89 Posts
I have a 1994 Allez (not comp or pro or any modifier) that came with a full Campagnolo Ergo Stratus group set. I've since lost the cranks, FR and RR ders. to "upgrade" to a racing T triple setup. I think that Stratus was the bottom of the barrel at the time. the catalog I found (auf Duetsch) shows the comp having Veloce and the Pro having Ultegra..
mgopack42 is offline  
Old 08-06-20, 04:37 PM
  #3  
plonz 
Senior Member
 
plonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 2,279
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 81 Posts
I would opt for the group with the better shift performance. I would expect that to be the tricolor group although I have no personal experience with Veloce STIs (or any Campy STI for that matter). Aesthetics could also be a factor. I think the darker finish of the tricolor group works better on more vibrant colors.
plonz is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 04:44 AM
  #4  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42 View Post
I have a 1994 Allez (not comp or pro or any modifier) that came with a full Campagnolo Ergo Stratus group set. I've since lost the cranks, FR and RR ders. to "upgrade" to a racing T triple setup. I think that Stratus was the bottom of the barrel at the time. the catalog I found (auf Duetsch) shows the comp having Veloce and the Pro having Ultegra..
yes exactly, thatís what the catalogue I linked says. so the veloce at least isnít the lowest end one...
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-07-20, 06:15 AM
  #5  
PugRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Posts: 203

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Centurion Ironman, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specalized Rockhopper SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
The only bike with a Campy Ergo setup I've ever ridden was an 8-speed on a Bianchi Eros I refreshed for a friend. I just loved how the front shifter was more of a friction/microadjust, particularly since it was a triple. Probably the only time I've ever said to myself 'why didn't Shimano think of this?' It was just lovely.
PugRider is offline  
Likes For PugRider:
Old 08-07-20, 06:33 AM
  #6  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider View Post
The only bike with a Campy Ergo setup I've ever ridden was an 8-speed on a Bianchi Eros I refreshed for a friend. I just loved how the front shifter was more of a friction/microadjust, particularly since it was a triple. Probably the only time I've ever said to myself 'why didn't Shimano think of this?' It was just lovely.
good point. I like that as well
Danmozy66 is offline  
Likes For Danmozy66:
Old 08-07-20, 08:12 AM
  #7  
SJX426 
Senior Member
 
SJX426's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
Posts: 7,134

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '90 De Rosa Professional, '91 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 203 Posts
I would go with the Campagnolo. I converted DA 740x on my Pinarello to Campy Chorus 8 speed. I have not rebuilt the Ero's yet. I have rebuilt 2nd get Ergos without much problem. Don't know about Veloce level parts.
The Pin had DT 8V index which shifted great for DT. I was interested in converting to Brifters. What held me back was the appearance with the cable coming out the side, the disposable attribute and the cost in the Bay.

If I was going to spend the money on used parts, it was going to be something I can fix or repair. Found a nice used set for under $100 in good condition. A Pin should be Campagnolo anyway. The hubs have not been replaced due to finding a spacer set for the DA block to match the 9V RD I also purchased. I am rebuilding tubular wheels for it with a Record rear hub.
I am biased toward Campy and freely admit it. It works for me.

Your call, of course.

I have a Trek 760 getting Superbe Pro index. I would like to try SRAM on that bike.
__________________
Bikes don't stand alone. They are two tired.
SJX426 is offline  
Likes For SJX426:
Old 08-08-20, 07:33 AM
  #8  
easyupbug 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,423

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
From you list of "primary considerations":
overall quality- I am unfamiliar with Velose and the plastic aged paddles so would probably go 600 which are in many cases are repairable like Campagnolo, but if it were Chorus it would be an easy choice.
weight- not a weight weenie so can't help
wheels- this one is purely a guess as to their condition, Shimano parts are generally easier to find
parts- Shimano everything is generally easier to find for me but exceptions exist, I bought two Wheels manufacturing spacer kits for Shimano 8 speed cassettes spaced for Campagnolo and am very happy. I think Brandford Bike may have them.
easyupbug is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 12:31 PM
  #9  
Dfrost 
Senior Member
 
Dfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,620

Bikes: Ď87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, Ď79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug View Post
From you list of "primary considerations":
overall quality- I am unfamiliar with Velose and the plastic aged paddles so would probably go 600 which are in many cases are repairable like Campagnolo, but if it were Chorus it would be an easy choice.
weight- not a weight weenie so can't help
wheels- this one is purely a guess as to their condition, Shimano parts are generally easier to find
parts- Shimano everything is generally easier to find for me but exceptions exist, I bought two Wheels manufacturing spacer kits for Shimano 8 speed cassettes spaced for Campagnolo and am very happy. I think Brandford Bike may have them.
+1 to these thoughts, and the front shift simplicity of Ergo as noted in the post by PugRider .

Love my Ergo shifters, and Shimano cogs/cassette hubs with conversion spacers. Note that a slightly longer lock ring is useful with the conversion, since the resulting cassette “height” is greater. Miche lock rings often work if the Wheels Mfg aren’t Available.
Dfrost is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 02:13 PM
  #10  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 12,272

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 284 Posts
I'm curious about this photo- Are those your feet? If so, how did you curl around to get that shot? Or did you take the photo over a body that was laying on the floor?

Curious... intrigued... kinda worried...


__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jiggliní huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 08-09-20 at 10:09 AM.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-08-20, 05:41 PM
  #11  
icemilkcoffee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts
If those Campy brakes are single pivot brakes I would skip over the Campy group just for that reason alone.
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Old 08-08-20, 06:05 PM
  #12  
billytwosheds 
Senior Member
 
billytwosheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 863

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
That's a low end Campagnolo group that while more rebuildable, isn't going to serve you as well as that tri color kit will.

If you want to work with what you have, the Shimano group is probably better in this case.
billytwosheds is offline  
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 08-08-20, 06:05 PM
  #13  
Dfrost 
Senior Member
 
Dfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,620

Bikes: Ď87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, Ď79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
If those Campy brakes are single pivot brakes I would skip over the Campy group just for that reason alone.
Maybe IĎm only person that thinks itís wonderful, even desirable to combine Shimano dual pivot brake calipers with Ergo shifters. Love having brake QR on both shifter and caliper. Letís me open them wider to easily pass 32-33mm tires through the brake pads. Haven't gotten a ticket yet from the C&V correctness police yet.
Dfrost is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 09:59 AM
  #14  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost View Post
Maybe IĎm only person that thinks itís wonderful, even desirable to combine Shimano dual pivot brake calipers with Ergo shifters. Love having brake QR on both shifter and caliper. Letís me open them wider to easily pass 32-33mm tires through the brake pads. Haven't gotten a ticket yet from the C&V correctness police yet.
Yes I thought it was awesome when I discovered that feature on the ergo shifters.
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 10:07 AM
  #15  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
I'm curious about this photo- Are those your feet? If so, how did you curl around to get that shot? Or did you take the photo over a body that was laying on the floor?

Curious... intrigued... kind worried...


only trying to put my best foot forward when making this tough decision. And yoga my man, does wonders for cycling
Danmozy66 is offline  
Likes For Danmozy66:
Old 08-09-20, 10:23 AM
  #16  
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Posts: 19,946

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee View Post
If those Campy brakes are single pivot brakes I would skip over the Campy group just for that reason alone.
I have Campy single pivots on the Bianchi. They were horrid until I switched to KoolStop pads and (Shimano) aero brake levers. Now they are actually pretty good.
__________________
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." --Theodore Roosevelt
Capo: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324
Capo: 1960 Sieger (2), S/N 42624, 42597
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 10:26 AM
  #17  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug View Post
From you list of "primary considerations":
overall quality- I am unfamiliar with Velose and the plastic aged paddles so would probably go 600 which are in many cases are repairable like Campagnolo, but if it were Chorus it would be an easy choice.
weight- not a weight weenie so can't help
wheels- this one is purely a guess as to their condition, Shimano parts are generally easier to find
parts- Shimano everything is generally easier to find for me but exceptions exist, I bought two Wheels manufacturing spacer kits for Shimano 8 speed cassettes spaced for Campagnolo and am very happy. I think Brandford Bike may have them.
Thanks for the insights, easyup. But I'm a bit confused were you suggesting either the campy or 600 tricolor group? You said 600, but that you love your campagnolo with the wheels manufacturing kit which could be an intriguing rationale to stick with campy 8's. And the pedals and crank aren't plastic what did you mean by that?
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 10:28 AM
  #18  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re the brakes question that was asked I'm not sure if the brakes are single pivot. As for campy this group being low end, I agree I don't love the crank and FD/RD the look pretty low end. However I've just read on velobase that these particular ergo shifters were actually used for the Record line at the time, if I'm reading correctly. Also surprisingly they are showing them as weighing 1/3 less than the 600 STI shifters. So if I upgraded the crank and FD/RD over time would this eventually be a pretty sweet setup or is the 600 tricolor the better all around proven and desirable choice?

VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo EC-12RE CG, Record

Last edited by Danmozy66; 08-09-20 at 10:35 AM.
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 10:52 AM
  #19  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hm, found the retrobike catalogue for 1994 showing Veloce second to last in the line above only Stratos at the bottom. Think I'm leaning with the tricolor option.

However I am correct interpreting that the omega 19 campy wheels was their top wheel product (see 1995 catalogue)? Seem like pretty sweet wheels. That's keeping me interested over the specialized "aurora matrix" wheels. Hence the tough choice!

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/d/3336-3/1994.pdf
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...lo+Catalog.pdf

Last edited by Danmozy66; 08-09-20 at 11:32 AM.
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 11:45 AM
  #20  
easyupbug 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,423

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66 View Post
Thanks for the insights, easyup. But I'm a bit confused were you suggesting either the campy or 600 tricolor group? You said 600, but that you love your campagnolo with the wheels manufacturing kit which could be an intriguing rationale to stick with campy 8's. And the pedals and crank aren't plastic what did you mean by that?
Sorry I was not clear. I have an Ironman with 600 and don't think I am missing anything and had a Viscount with 600 for years that was also nice. I have a Pinarello with all Campagnolo that got a new set of Reynolds wheels as an idiot drilled out the valve stem hole oversize so I need to lace a new rim on it and have not gotten around to it. I can feel no difference with the 8 speed spacer Wheels Mfg kit on the Reynolds Shimano/Sram wheels. The plastic I don't like is the shift paddle on the Athena 8 speed brake/shifter. It is no doubt irrational as it has a lot of miles on it, works fine and the Campagnolo thumb button is always plastic.
easyupbug is offline  
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-09-20, 11:56 AM
  #21  
billytwosheds 
Senior Member
 
billytwosheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 863

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66 View Post
However I've just read on velobase that these particular ergo shifters were actually used for the Record line at the time, if I'm reading correctly. ?

VeloBase.com - Component: Campagnolo EC-12RE CG, Record
I don't think this is being read correctly. The Record and Chorus shifters are the most similar, but these Veloce shifters are not the same.

The lower tier ergopower shifters from this era have more plastic parts, both internal and external. The black plastic shift levers are maybe the most obvious giveaway.
billytwosheds is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 12:09 PM
  #22  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds View Post
I don't think this is being read correctly. The Record and Chorus shifters are the most similar, but these Veloce shifters are not the same.

The lower tier ergopower shifters from this era have more plastic parts, both internal and external. The black plastic shift levers are maybe the most obvious giveaway.
Did you read the description at the bottom about the black variation?
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 12:30 PM
  #23  
billytwosheds 
Senior Member
 
billytwosheds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 863

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Danmozy66 View Post
Did you read the description at the bottom about the black variation?
Yeah, and it's good to take the comments on Velobase with a grain of salt. Most of the time it's personal anecdotes, sometimes they end up being true.

See the exploded parts diagrams from Record/Chorus and from Veloce, both from the 1993 catalog.

Record/Chorus: Campagnolo Spare Parts Catalogue - 1993 Product Range page 48

Veloce: Campagnolo Spare Parts Catalogue - 1993 Product Range page 49

Subtle but important differences.
billytwosheds is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 01:17 PM
  #24  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds View Post
Yeah, and it's good to take the comments on Velobase with a grain of salt. Most of the time it's personal anecdotes, sometimes they end up being true.

See the exploded parts diagrams from Record/Chorus and from Veloce, both from the 1993 catalog.

Record/Chorus: Campagnolo Spare Parts Catalogue - 1993 Product Range page 48

Veloce: Campagnolo Spare Parts Catalogue - 1993 Product Range page 49

Subtle but important differences.
Ah good tip, thank you.

Curious - does anyone know if would they have typically used the same bottom bracket from all three trims, i.e. allez, allez comp, allez pro, back then? Catalogues don't seem to list this and it would be nice to know before swapping. And does anyone happen to know how I can find a 1995 Specialized catalogue? There isn't one on retro bike. I think I might throw it out there in a separate thread as well.

Last edited by Danmozy66; 08-09-20 at 01:26 PM.
Danmozy66 is offline  
Old 08-09-20, 01:24 PM
  #25  
Danmozy66
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Canada
Posts: 32

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1986 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug View Post
Sorry I was not clear. I have an Ironman with 600 and don't think I am missing anything and had a Viscount with 600 for years that was also nice. I have a Pinarello with all Campagnolo that got a new set of Reynolds wheels as an idiot drilled out the valve stem hole oversize so I need to lace a new rim on it and have not gotten around to it. I can feel no difference with the 8 speed spacer Wheels Mfg kit on the Reynolds Shimano/Sram wheels. The plastic I don't like is the shift paddle on the Athena 8 speed brake/shifter. It is no doubt irrational as it has a lot of miles on it, works fine and the Campagnolo thumb button is always plastic.
Ah gotcha, I should have knew you meant the shifter paddle. OK what about hubs-wise with your campy vs the 600, does the pinarello seem roll discernibly any better?
Danmozy66 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.