Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980s Spidel equipped Reynolds 531 Peugeot

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1980s Spidel equipped Reynolds 531 Peugeot

Old 10-14-20, 12:50 PM
  #1  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1978 Schwinn Varsity, 1976 Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 62 Posts
1980s Spidel equipped Reynolds 531 Peugeot

For anyone who isnít tired of answering ďWhich model Peugeot do I have?Ē Iíd really appreciate your input. PX? PY? PFWZQRS? I donít know. For all of my Peugeot research I still canít manage to make myself an expert. I can tell itís quite nice! The frame has no decal to reveal a model name like the catalog photos do and I canít seem to find a perfect match. A few near misses but nothing definite. The frame shows quite a bit of paint wear and some badly done touch-ups but I think itíll clean up well enough. By the way it comes complete with a Helicomatic rear hub; Iím ordering the lock ring tool but some posters have me a little worried about weather I should keep it or not. I have a lot of experience with servicing hubs but have not tried my hand at Helicomatic. What should I watch out for?

As found a few months ago. I havenít done anything to it yet. I did small test ride when purchasing it and thatís all Iíve ridden it.


Spidel headset

Spidel Simplex

6 speed Helicomatic

A couple of incorrect chairing bolts.

Some paint problems.

Some more paint issues in the bottom bracket area but really no rust.

Does this mean 1982?
My brother and I (both in our forties) are the same size and have such similar dimensions, and over the last several years we have together, assembled a small fleet bicycles that we share the cost of and rotate them between our homes. It wasnít terribly expensive but it sure is nice to share the burden. After we service it, itíll join that fleet.

This group has been great at answering my questions many times in the past. Iím grateful for help you can give.
Pcampeau is offline  
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-14-20, 12:53 PM
  #2  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,373

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4652 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 718 Posts
This is a nicer, more expensive bike than a stock PXN 10 as it has chrome rear socks and 531SL tubing. This is a PY10; nice bike for sure.
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-14-20, 01:01 PM
  #3  
TugaDude
Senior Member
 
TugaDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,410
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 114 Posts
After looking at velobase.com it appears the cranset is a Campy copy that was produced by Stronglight. The FD and RD were made by Simplex. The brakes are made by Mafac. So what is the story behind Spidel? Did they actually manufacture anything?

Nice bike, BTW!

Edit: I found the following answer: From forum member CV-6

Spidel did not take over anyone. It was a top end component group formed by French manufacturers in response to Shimano, Suntour and Campagnolo who were producing complete groupsets. Mafac, Maillard, Stronglight, and Simplex were the main members. Later Modolo provided brakes for the groupset upon the demise of Mafac. Super Champion may have also been involved to a small extent, but I cannot say I have ever seen a Spidel rim. I have a NOS crankset with the arms marked Spidel and the rings still marked Stronglight. Obviously the venture did not fare too well.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers
TugaDude is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 01:11 PM
  #4  
Ex Pres 
#39
 
Ex Pres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mountain Brook, AL
Posts: 7,269
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
This is a nicer, more expensive bike than a stock PXN 10 as it has chrome rear socks and 531SL tubing. This is a PY10; nice bike for sure.
Agree, PY level
(except for the Helicomatic )

Last edited by Ex Pres; 10-14-20 at 01:14 PM.
Ex Pres is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 01:37 PM
  #5  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1978 Schwinn Varsity, 1976 Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres View Post
Agree, PY level
(except for the Helicomatic )
Do you know is the Helicomatic original? A better question might be does PY mean that the components were selected by the purchaser rather than Peugeot?
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 01:38 PM
  #6  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1978 Schwinn Varsity, 1976 Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
This is a nicer, more expensive bike than a stock PXN 10 as it has chrome rear socks and 531SL tubing. This is a PY10; nice bike for sure.
Thanks bikemig!
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 02:11 PM
  #7  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 17,373

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4652 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post
Thanks bikemig!
I'm just glad I don't live in the Twin Cities. I'd go broke for sure with all the nice bikes I see up there. Des Moines thankfully doesn't have anywhere near as many vintage bikes for sale and I still managed to clutter up my garage.
bikemig is offline  
Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-14-20, 02:30 PM
  #8  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1978 Schwinn Varsity, 1976 Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I'm just glad I don't live in the Twin Cities. I'd go broke for sure with all the nice bikes I see up there. Des Moines thankfully doesn't have anywhere near as many vintage bikes for sale and I still managed to clutter up my garage.
Well now youíve got a facilitator here in Minneapolis if you ever do find a need to go broke.
Pcampeau is offline  
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-14-20, 03:01 PM
  #9  
greg3rd48
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,906

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 81 Posts
She's a beauty.
greg3rd48 is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 04:37 PM
  #10  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 160 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude View Post
After looking at velobase.com it appears the cranset is a Campy copy that was produced by Stronglight. The FD and RD were made by Simplex. The brakes are made by Mafac. So what is the story behind Spidel? Did they actually manufacture anything?

Nice bike, BTW!

Edit: I found the following answer: From forum member CV-6

Spidel did not take over anyone. It was a top end component group formed by French manufacturers in response to Shimano, Suntour and Campagnolo who were producing complete groupsets. Mafac, Maillard, Stronglight, and Simplex were the main members. Later Modolo provided brakes for the groupset upon the demise of Mafac. Super Champion may have also been involved to a small extent, but I cannot say I have ever seen a Spidel rim. I have a NOS crankset with the arms marked Spidel and the rings still marked Stronglight. Obviously the venture did not fare too well.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers
If you are referring to the LS1, LS2 and LSX Spidel side pull brakesets, they were definitely all made by MAFAC. I know, because I have an early LSX brakeset on my Peugeot PSV with MAFAC branding engraved on the calipers and levers. I highly doubt if MAFAC would have ever re-branded Modolo brakesets as one of theirs. It was usually the Italians that did such (like Gipiemme). The MAFAC/Spidel LS brakesets were usually mistaken as made by Modolo because of the similar dome shaped pivot bolt head it has, but if you put the two barkesets side by side, you will see that is the end of their similarities. Also, re-branded Modolos always used the Modolo brake pad holders with their signature wire wheel guides and usually with their sintered brake pads. The ones on the Spidels are unique/proprietary to MAFAC/Spidel. All rebranded Modolo brakesets also retain Modolo branding somewhere on them either cast, embossed or silkscreen on to their parts. None of that exists on the four Spidel LS sidepull brakesets I had owned.
The Spidel component consortium was formed to highlight the best of French made components to compete with the rest if the world at that time (Thus, the tricolor map of France on the Spidel logo.), so using Modolo brakesets in their groups would have been considered blasphemy to the all French members of that consortium.
Mavic did use Modolo brakesets for their groups in the 80's, but Mavic was not a member of the Spidel consortium, that's why I think they did not hesitate re-branding Modolo brakesets for their 80's groups.
I'm a big fan of the Spidel component groups and have used them on my "Tout French" bike builds. Spidel groups were always my go-to groups for such...... like this "Tout French" re-hash of my 1984 Gitane TDF, that I found weird that Gitane decided to equip with the Ofmega Mistral Gruppo from the factory. The TDF bikes ridden by Fignon, LeMond and Hinault from the year before were equipped with full Spidel groups.

BTW, the modern Look clipless pedals seen in the pic on the bike had since been replaced by more period and brand correct Maillard/Spidel 700 series CXC aero clipped pedals.

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-14-20 at 09:30 PM.
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 05:12 PM
  #11  
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race
 
dddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 7,610

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 332 Times in 253 Posts
This is a somewhat rare bike, I don't know about these frame's geometry but I suspect this has a really good race frame.

Trek and Peugeot seemed to go all-in with Helicomatic inventory. A fly on the wall might tell us just how the Helicomatic came and went, how it reached it's peak of perceived value and how it soon thereafter became inventory that needed to be cleared out really fast when Maillard failed to meet the needs of indexed drivetrains. All speculation on my part!

Perhaps Peugeot offered the Helicomatic wheelsets as a most affordable option for the PY, also perhaps indexing was not yet on the visible horizon when this bike was put together.

I used my indexed 7s Command shifters and an Edge derailer with a 6s Helicomatic freewheel.
All Helicomatic freewheels had narrow spacing to work with the narrow Sedisport chain, so it did actually index (though with frequent episodes of chain "skating" i.e. slippage).

Congrat's on your find!

Last edited by dddd; 10-14-20 at 05:16 PM.
dddd is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 05:19 PM
  #12  
Chombi1 
Senior Member
 
Chombi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,231
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 160 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
This is a somewhat rare bike, I don't know about these frame's geometry but I suspect this has a really good race frame.

Trek and Peugeot seemed to go all-in with Helicomatic inventory. A fly on the wall might tell us just how the Helicomatic came and went, how it reached it's peak of perceived value and how it soon thereafter became inventory that needed to be cleared out really fast when Maillard failed to meet the needs of indexed drivetrains. All speculation on my part!

Perhaps Peugeot offered the Helicomatic wheelsets as a most affordable option for the PY, also perhaps indexing was not yet a thing when this bike was put together.

I used my indexed 7s Command shifters and an Edge derailer with a 6s Helicomatic freewheel.
All Helicomatic freewheels had narrow spacing to work with the narrow Sedisport chain, so it did actually index (though with frequent episodes of chain "skating" i.e. slippage).

Congrat's on your find!
IIRC, Maillard did issue better quality, 700 series Helicomatic hubs, before the hub type went out of production.
I think the main improvement was better bearing and race protection on the 700 Helis and maybe better bearing quality and race machining and prep, like their other 700 series hubs had.
I would think that Peugeot would have use these "improved" Helis on this top line bike of theirs.
Chombi1 is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 05:41 PM
  #13  
Pcampeau
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 348

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course. 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1978 Schwinn Varsity, 1976 Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
IIRC, Maillard did issue better quality, 700 series Helicomatic hubs, before the hub type went out of production.
I think the main improvement was better bearing and race protection on the 700 Helis and maybe better bearing quality and race machining and prep, like their other 700 series hubs had.
I would think that Peugeot would have use these "improved" Helis on this top line bike of theirs.
Thanks dddd and Chombi1 for your insights.

Canít wait for my new Helicomatic beer opener/lock ring tool to arrive so I can hopefully crack this hub open with it....I know Iíll get a beer open with it!
Pcampeau is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 06:11 PM
  #14  
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Posts: 21,837

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2299 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
IIRC, Maillard did issue better quality, 700 series Helicomatic hubs, before the hub type went out of production.
I think the main improvement was better bearing and race protection on the 700 Helis and maybe better bearing quality and race machining and prep, like their other 700 series hubs had.
I would think that Peugeot would have use these "improved" Helis on this top line bike of theirs.
Yes, the top-end Helicomatic was essentially a Maillard 700 professional hub adopted to Helicomatic. The front hub was a 700, the rear was helicomatic with the problematic 5/32" balls, but the shell was better finished than the garden-variety Helicomatic, and it had nicely ground and polished cones and races and chromed locknuts and spacers.
JohnDThompson is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 08:22 PM
  #15  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 12,348

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
I'm just glad I don't live in the Twin Cities. I'd go broke for sure with all the nice bikes I see up there. Des Moines thankfully doesn't have anywhere near as many vintage bikes for sale and I still managed to clutter up my garage.
Riding/driving in Minneapolis/St Paul is like Madison- your head is always turning left and right looking at cool bikes, trying not to hit anything or anyone...
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jiggliní huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 10-14-20, 08:36 PM
  #16  
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude
 
The Golden Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Waukesha WI
Posts: 12,348

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post
By the way it comes complete with a Helicomatic rear hub; Iím ordering the lock ring tool but some posters have me a little worried about weather I should keep it or not. I have a lot of experience with servicing hubs but have not tried my hand at Helicomatic. What should I watch out for?
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post

Canít wait for my new Helicomatic beer opener/lock ring tool to arrive so I can hopefully crack this hub open with it....I know Iíll get a beer open with it!
I have 2 Helicomatic hubs, one I removed from a wheel- the other is on a wheel that I haven't ridden in years, now. I have removed the freewheel/cassette with both the specific tool and with a needle nose pliers. You're really only removing a lock ring- and, in theory, you could possibly get it off with your fingers if it wasn't tightened too hard. If you don't use the tool, and use a pliers of some sort- just be careful not to crush the ring- mine are aluminum and kind of delicate feeling. But they came right off- and then the freewheel/cassette thing came right off- easy.

Originally Posted by Chombi1 View Post
IIRC, Maillard did issue better quality, 700 series Helicomatic hubs, before the hub type went out of production.
I think the main improvement was better bearing and race protection on the 700 Helis and maybe better bearing quality and race machining and prep, like their other 700 series hubs had.
I would think that Peugeot would have use these "improved" Helis on this top line bike of theirs.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
Yes, the top-end Helicomatic was essentially a Maillard 700 professional hub adopted to Helicomatic. The front hub was a 700, the rear was helicomatic with the problematic 5/32" balls, but the shell was better finished than the garden-variety Helicomatic, and it had nicely ground and polished cones and races and chromed locknuts and spacers.
I didn't overhaul my Helicomatic- but mine is a 700 series hub that came on a Trek 720- you kind of get an idea of what the bearings and races are like.

One of these days I'll have to get a comparison between the 700 series hub and the one that came on my 84 Trek 420.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-muo9q8v-bN...l+polished.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OB1dlW3sA_...eel+packed.jpg
__________________
*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Person Of The Year" Award*

Commence to jiggliní huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
The Golden Boy is offline  
Old 10-18-20, 01:26 AM
  #17  
1simplexnut
Senior Member
 
1simplexnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 566

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 92 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau View Post
For anyone who isnít tired of answering ďWhich model Peugeot do I have?Ē Iíd really appreciate your input. PX? PY? PFWZQRS? I donít know. For all of my Peugeot research I still canít manage to make myself an expert. I can tell itís quite nice! The frame has no decal to reveal a model name like the catalog photos do and I canít seem to find a perfect match. A few near misses but nothing definite. The frame shows quite a bit of paint wear and some badly done touch-ups but I think itíll clean up well enough. By the way it comes complete with a Helicomatic rear hub; Iím ordering the lock ring tool but some posters have me a little worried about weather I should keep it or not. I have a lot of experience with servicing hubs but have not tried my hand at Helicomatic. What should I watch out for?

As found a few months ago. I havenít done anything to it yet. I did small test ride when purchasing it and thatís all Iíve ridden it.


Spidel headset

Spidel Simplex

6 speed Helicomatic

A couple of incorrect chairing bolts.

Some paint problems.

Some more paint issues in the bottom bracket area but really no rust.

Does this mean 1982?
My brother and I (both in our forties) are the same size and have such similar dimensions, and over the last several years we have together, assembled a small fleet bicycles that we share the cost of and rotate them between our homes. It wasnít terribly expensive but it sure is nice to share the burden. After we service it, itíll join that fleet.

This group has been great at answering my questions many times in the past. Iím grateful for help you can give.
1983 only with that decal set ?
1984 changed to chevron top and down tube .

Nice machine !

Will be a good ride I am sure .
1simplexnut is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.